PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 will play tonight

Creation88
04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
according to Jason Garrett (sports doctor and has Spurs inside info) on Ticket 760 (who was 100% correct on Tony Parker coming back the game after getting injured last year) the Big 3 will play today and fly back to SA afterward.

Gary Neal should be back but could miss Game 1 and/or Game 2.

Garrett says the Spurs are looking to go for home court throughout.

IN POP WE TRUST

Fireball
04-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Then sending the Big Three home after the Phoenix game does not make sense ... without Neal our bench might not have enough firepower against the Warriors ...

Jumi
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I like this. Finish off a deflated Suns team with the Big Three and rest Neal. Neal could be ready for the final game and let the second unit handle Golden State. This just might work!

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Then sending the Big Three home after the Phoenix game does not make sense ... without Neal our bench might not have enough firepower against the Warriors ...

Warriors would score 0pts if they have to, but they need to lose the last game.

Jumi
04-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Warriors would score 0pts if they have to, but they need to lose the last game.

Yeah, I think GS is gonna tank that last game! We just might get to 50! That'll be sweet, I haven't really paid it much attention.

Old School 44
04-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Doubt if we get much fight out of Golden State, no matter who we bring.
Even though they're eliminated from the playoffs, Phoenix on the other hand, might play with a little more fight, considering it could possibly be Steve Nash's last game as Sun...and just the fact that it's the Spurs/Suns....a lot of history there.

Legacy
04-25-2012, 08:03 AM
*prays for extra, extra protection and absolutely no more injuries, no matter what happens*

Please, Dear Lord.

^II^

Keepin' it real
04-25-2012, 08:10 AM
For someone as smart of Popovich, he'd be really stupid to play the big 3

in a meaningless game
in the last week of the season
against the same team
in the same arena

where his stupid decision to play the big 3 cost the team so dearly last year. He's been an overprotective mother when it comes to injuries all freakin' season. So why choose now to be all macho about it? Wow, what a mind job.

Jumi
04-25-2012, 08:12 AM
To finally erase all the ghosts of last year!

Bruno
04-25-2012, 08:22 AM
I like it. Joseph should be called up for the last game. Toros have almsot lsot the D-League finals after having lost their game at home eysterday.

GSW has a huge interest in losing against Spurs because with a win, they will likely lost their first round pick that is top7 protected.Here is what is in play for them:

With a win:
9% chance of getting a top3 pick.
91% chance of losing their pick.

With a loss:
12.5% chance of getting a top 3 pick.
31% chance of getting the 7th pick
56.5% chance of getting no pick.

GSW front office should push hard players and coaches to tank this game. There are just too much in play.

jiggy_55
04-25-2012, 08:24 AM

in a meaningless game
against the same team
in the same arena

where his stupid decision to play the big 3 cost the team so dearly last year. He's been an overprotective mother when it comes to injuries all freakin' season. So why choose now to be all macho about it? Wow, what a mind job.

Yeah, I don't quite get it. We don't really need them to play they shoulda stayed home.

bklynspursfan
04-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Should be noted... No fighting through screens tonight! Especially Manu! lol

bklynspursfan
04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Guys need to keep their legs and rhythm. If they play 15-20 minutes then great. Can't just sit on their asses and expect them to be sharp for game 1 this weekend. Then everyone will bitch about them being rusty.

KaiRMD1
04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Man I hope this doesn't bite them in the ass

tmtcsc
04-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I'd like to limit the Big 3's exposure to injuries as much as possible. I'd sit them out of the Final 2 games.

I'm not so sure Chicago will even reach the Finals.

As for Neal, are you referring to Game 1 and Game 2 of the playoffs ? Or are you referring to the last 2 games of the regular season ?

Jimcs50
04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
My question is, won't our 2nd unit be all worn out after playing so many minutes on Thursday? Especially Kwami who is not used to plaing this many games.

Jimcs50
04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Manu needs to play 20 mins, because he is not even in midseason form yet.

Manu-20
04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Smart move by pop he is keeping players in rythm and then we get the easy w resting the big three against the warriors who will be trying to lose the game from the tip off.

SpurinDallas
04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Ugh...but I understand the reasons why Pop feels he's gotta play em a bit tonight. I think I feel my breakfast back in my throat...

coyotes_geek
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
My question is, won't our 2nd unit be all worn out after playing so many minutes on Thursday? Especially Kwami who is not used to plaing this many games.

Not worried about the 2nd unit getting worn out, but I wouldn't mind seeing Pop give Leonard Thursday night off as well.

Jimcs50
04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Ugh...but I understand the reasons why Pop feels he's gotta play em a bit tonight. I think I feel my breakfast back in my throat...

what's the difference betw getting hurt tonight and getting hurt in game 1? They have to play the game, stop worrying, injuries ane always a possibility, even in Summer pickup games. Manu needs to play, he is still a bit rusty and only playing time will get him ready for Finals against Miami.

SA210
04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
It's as it should be :tu no tanking by this team

SpurinDallas
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
what's the difference betw getting hurt tonight and getting hurt in game 1? They have to play the game, stop worrying, injuries ane always a possibility, even in Summer pickup games. Manu needs to play, he is still a bit rusty and only playing time will get him ready for Finals against Miami.

Yeah, I know. I'm just excited about FINALLY getting into the postseason at 100%. I'd hate for something foolish to happen in a meaningless game that could alter our post season run.

kaji157
04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Who has the tiebreaker between SA and CHicago??

coyotes_geek
04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
^^^ bulls

Mel_13
04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
what's the difference betw getting hurt tonight and getting hurt in game 1?

They must play in Game 1, there is no need to play tonight.

MannyIsGod
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM

:lol

Good joke.

kaji157
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
^^^ bulls
So there is absolutelly ZERO reasons to play the Big 3 tonight we wonīt need to keep peace with them, i think they wonīt even be in the Finals.

Truth is Chicago faces Indiana and Cleveland, that means that if they are gonna loose, they loose today, meaning the Spurs will have to play the Big 3 on both games of the back-to-back (not an option).

I would say, letīs try to win out with our bench. Call up Cory Joseph to fill in for injuried Neal and let Mills start, i wouldnīt play Manu or TD for a second.

Drachen

This is two chances at getting hurt instead of one. And when only one of those chances at getting hurt matters, it makes sense to eliminate the one that doesn't.

Russ

Therefore the Spurs lineup/minutes should be a gametime decison.

Chicago's game at Indiana should be over by the Spurs tip at Phoenix.

If the Bulls lose, the Spurs can get HCA throughout the playoffs just by winning their last two.

If the Bulls win, they just have to beat Cleveland at home tomorrow to clinch no matter what the Spurs do.

In other words the Spurs will know whether both of their last two mean something, or mean nothing, before the first one even starts. No excuses at that point. :)

Jimcs50
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Therefore the Spurs lineup/minutes should be a gametime decison.

Chicago's game at Indiana should be over by the Spurs tip at Phoenix.

If the Bulls lose, the Spurs can get HCA throughout the playoffs just by winning their last two.

If the Bulls win, they just have to beat Cleveland at home tomorrow to clinch no matter what the Spurs do.

In other words the Spurs will know whether both of their last two mean something, or mean nothing, before the first one even starts. No excuses at that point. :)

Good point. Spurs have HCA locked up against everyone else. But I still think Manu needs to play both games

coyotes_geek
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
So there is absolutelly ZERO reasons to play the Big 3 tonight we wonīt need to keep peace with them, i think they wonīt even be in the Finals.

Truth is Chicago faces Indiana and Cleveland, that means that if they are gonna loose, they loose today, meaning the Spurs will have to play the Big 3 on both games of the back-to-back (not an option).

I would say, letīs try to win out with our bench. Call up Cory Joseph to fill in for injuried Neal and let Mills start, i wouldnīt play Manu or TD for a second.

I agree with you about how it's not important to scoreboard watch the bulls. But I still think you play the big 3 tonight just to keep them in sync. I get the arguement for not playing them tonight, but after last year's debacle I think the Spurs really want to set a good tone in Game 1 and that gets a little harder if the big 3 hadn't played in 5-6 days.

I'd think the Big 3 play 20-25 minutes tonight and then come home.

I also think James Anderson better rest up tonight because he's going to play 48 minutes tomorrow night. :)

LongtimeSpursFan
04-25-2012, 10:47 AM

in a meaningless game
against the same team
in the same arena

Because if the Spurs dont play their first playoff game until Sunday then that will have given the BIG 3 six days off and that is too much time between games. Play them 20-25 minutes against Phoenix then send them home for couple of days rest.

Dr Cox
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
They will play tonight but I dont see them playing long, I know TP said that they needed to play some so it might just be a for a quarter or maybe even part of two.

I can't see them play much longer than that.

I would love to see Joseph called up and Leonard and Green sit out against GSW.

lcroock
04-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I think the Spurs will end up playing Denver and not Utah in Round 1. #1 vs #2 best offensive teams based on PPG.

Can somebody confirm that if Utah and Denver finish tied (which is likely since Denver plays at OKC) that Denver will be #8 because Utah won the season series.

TimmehC
04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Spurs aren't going to call Joseph up. The Toros are in the D-League finals right now.

Keepin' it real
04-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Because if the Spurs dont play their first playoff game until Sunday then that will have given the BIG 3 six days off and that is too much time between games. Play them 20-25 minutes against Phoenix then send them home for couple of days rest.

I understand the "stay in rhythm" aspect, but don't you see the irony here? Pop sat the big 3 at times when he arguably shouldn't have (during the regular season when the Spurs had yet to secure a playoff spot or HCA) to give them rest and avoid injury.

But now that they have clinched HCA, they have the opportunity to give the big 3 a week's worth of rest and avoid injury, but Pop is choosing to play them???? This makes absolutely no sense, given Pop's goals of rest/health.

Worst case scenario if they rest the entire week is that they'll be rusty in the first half of game 1. That's a much better alternative than Tim, Tony or Manu being out due to injury in a meaningless game (such as PHX 2011).

Mal
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
They will today, because Pop cant leave them for couple days without training. They need to stay in game rythm.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there a rule, that guys, who arent traveling with team for road game, cant train at home ? There was something earlier in the season with TJ Ford being sent to D-league only to train. Pop cant afford it.

Plus PHX isnt physcial team. This game will be shootaround.

Mixability
04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Damn, I will be very worried during every second they're on the floor.

loveforthegame
04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I can understand wanting them to play a few minutes but I'm going to be a wreck the whole time they're on the floor.

Please no injuries. Please.

Mugen
04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
They will today, because Pop cant leave them for couple days without training. They need to stay in game rythm.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there a rule, that guys, who arent traveling with team for road game, cant train at home ? There was something earlier in the season with TJ Ford being sent to D-league only to train. Pop cant afford it.

Plus PHX isnt physcial team. This game will be shootaround.

I counted 4 wrongs, tbh.

Keepin' it real
04-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Coach Pop and Spurs Nation are so consumed with thoughts about injury that an injury is all but assured. See: the law of attraction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction). For our sake, let's hope Neal's injury will suffice.

spursfanincolorado
04-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Man I hope this doesn't bite them in the ass

I think you all are being overly superstitious or something...

The reality is they are gonna play a number of games in the playoffs and I haven't heard of players being outfitted with their bubbles.

Get real!

They can tweak an ankle getting outta the tub! Slip coming off the bus...

I know, that never happens. Just like Manu's injury last year. No one figured it would either.

They are professional athletes.

We aren't talking about going to Afghanistan and taking a short day trip in the shit!

Injuries will happen, you play reasonable minutes you rest those who need it and play.

Jimcs50
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Coach Pop and Spurs Nation are so consumed with thoughts about injury that an injury is all but assured. See: the law of attraction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction). For our sake, let's hope Neal's injury will suffice.

self fullfilled prophesy

SpurinDallas
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm gonna ask my curandera Guadalupe to light a candle tonight. I don't want to give the Spurs ojo

Keepin' it real
04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm gonna ask my curandera Guadalupe to light a candle tonight. I don't want to give the Spurs ojo

:rollin

Fireball
04-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Good joke.

I try my best :lol

GinobiliForTres
04-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Spurs aren't going to call Joseph up. The Toros are in the D-League finals right now.

San Antonio Spurs ‏ @spurs
Spurs recall Cory Joseph from the @austintoros.

TampaDude
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Tonight, against PHX, Ginobili will collide with Parker late in the 1st quarter, giving both of them a concussion and Parker will fall on Duncan's leg, blowing out his knee. Spurs will get swept by Utah.

How's that for a reverse jinx? :lol

DesignatedT
04-25-2012, 02:18 PM

DBMethos
04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Tonight, against PHX, Ginobili will collide with Parker late in the 1st quarter, giving both of them a concussion and Parker will fall on Duncan's leg, blowing out his knee. Spurs will get swept by Utah.

How's that for a reverse jinx? :lol
:lol :depressed

TVI
04-25-2012, 03:31 PM
what's the difference betw getting hurt tonight and getting hurt in game 1? If getting injured is a forgone conclusion, nothing, but since it's not, it's a matter of Risk vs. Reward. Last two games = moderate risk, little reward. 1st game of the playoffs = moderate risk, much higher reward.