PDA

View Full Version : unconscious racism

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Ran across this article and thought I'd share it with the ST community. I must say, the author made some very valid points that I challenge anyone to try to refute them...good luck. :toast

They used to lynch us. They don’t do that anymore.

They used to buy and sell us. They don’t do that anymore.

They used to call our fathers “boy” and send them around back. They don’t do that anymore.

Now it’s unconscious, so all they have to do is think.

Racism has gone underground, upgraded its look to be more stylish and user friendly. In fact, it’s undergone such a dramatic face lift that racists themselves don’t even know they’re racist. That’s impressive.

Racists these days have black friends and get along with their black coworkers. They have Jay Z and Usher songs in their iTunes accounts, and they readily compliment black women on how nice their natural hair looks. And they really mean those compliments. They wouldn’t ever want their hair to do that, but they really do like the way it looks on someone else. I guess that’s just one of the perks of the new unconscious racism.

It made the trans Atlantic slave trade okay. It made colonization and Apartheid okay. It made the Holocaust and Japanese concentration camps okay. It made the slaughter and relocation of Native Americans okay. All inhumane treatment of non-white people is justified in the eyes of racism. Twisted stuff, ain’t it? But don’t be fooled. This new racism, polite and understated though it may be, is still the same old racism. It still runs on that inherently-flawed and extremely delusional belief that God is white (European) and has a natural preference for his own. That’s the thinking that made the world’s human atrocities okay.

Racism Goes Underground

But this new racism is tricky. It’s ninja-like in its ability to operate without detection. It isn’t as in-your-face. It lies dormant most of the time, silently feeding off of reinforced stereotypes, media misinformation and fear. It nestles itself so deeply in the subconscious that most who are affected by it can honestly say, “I am not racist.” As far as they know, they aren’t. They don’t hate black people. They don’t think black people deserve to be treated badly. But they do believe, way back in the recesses of their mind, that certain things, places and people are designated for whites only. Not in a “colored entrance” kind of way, but in a “I get uncomfortable when I see black people overstepping their bounds” kind of way.

That’s why Trayvon Martin looked suspicious. His presence in that particular neighborhood made Zimmerman uncomfortable. He would have felt perfectly fine had he seen Martin in a predominantly black, poor neighborhood—not being racist or anything, but that is where blacks live, right?—but he couldn’t conceive that Martin possibly belonged in that neighborhood. The mere sight of that hoodied young man (not to be confused with a “hooded” young man) in that gated community was enough to activate the unconscious racist within. In an instant, all the stereotypes and fear he’d gathered and stored in his 28 years flooded Zimmerman’s conscious mind and instructed him to save the neighborhood and himself from this incredibly threatening black male.

That’s also why some disgruntled Hunger Games fans have found fault with the color of particular cast members. Despite the fact that casting directors make small (and large) changes to book characters all the time, their unconscious racists within were activated when they saw that such powerful and positive characters were played by…dramatic pause… black actors (cue shock and awe now). According to some of the upset tweets, the author made no mention of color. This actually isn’t true, but it doesn’t matter. When they discovered that the book characters where strong, positive and actually of significance to the story, they automatically assumed the author meant for them to be white, because, well, what else could they possibly be? And those unconscious racist thoughts were actually strong enough to edit out the parts of the book that literally describe their skin as “dark brown.”

Wow.

I don’t know if you’re getting the magnitude of that. Let me say it again. Those unconscious racist thoughts were actually strong enough to edit out the parts of the book that literally describe their skin as “dark brown.” Tell me that’s not deep. The unconscious racist’s ideas of whiteness and blackness and so entrenched in a hierarchy of value that their minds literally blotted out printed text so as not to disturb their preconceived notions about what “good” really looks like.

That’s why stereotypes are so prominent. They reinforce the ideas unconscious racists already have. When they see a black man who really is a criminal, they take notice, but when they see one who is an educated, peaceful loving father, they ignore it or write it off as an isolated incident. Racism survives this way.

Until we get away from the idea that God is white (or any other color for that matter) racism will live on. It’s form will continue to change, but its roots will remain sturdy.

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
can u bulletpoint that Trill? I'm on my phone but think it might be important.

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 11:53 AM
can u bulletpoint that Trill? I'm on my phone but think it might be important.

lol I knew you'd be in here.

naw bruh, I can't bulletpoint it. just wait till you get to your PC to read it.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Why this big need to play pretend? Hell yes we are different, that's why we have the races. There is no need to ignore reality. If I'm looking for somebody to pick my oranges...Mexicans. If I'm wanting a new stereo/TV I'm buying Japanese. If I'm looking for some speedy receivers ...black. That is racism, or simply real life?

I've been to shit kicker bars, very few of those people could really dance. I've also been to...The Jungle...everyone could dance.

At 6-2 I was a giant when in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Thailand, Phillipines. In Samoa (never went there) I'd be normal/small.

We are diffferent, no need to play bullshit games. Now as far as rights go we aren't, there we are all equal.

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Black people love to cry racism and blame the white man for all their problems, being the most racist of all themselves.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Black people love to cry racism and blame the white man for all their problems, being the most racist of all themselves.

They forget that their fellow black brothers are the ones who sold them into slavery.

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
blacks can't be racist, try again.

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
the author was right, white people getting uncomfortable when faced with the truth so they deflect with the 'blacks are racist too' card.

Reck
04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Solid article.

Fear

That's what this article is more about.

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 12:09 PM

:lmao oh really?

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
:lmao oh really?

really. I admit some black people can be prejudice but we are NOT racist, can't be.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
really. I admit some black people can be prejudice but we are NOT racist, can't be.

That is simply not true. I played ball with a lot of black guys, they knew us white cats were slower and would comment on it.

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Lmao and just how can't they be?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
5/10

SpurinDallas
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Black people can also get away with saying certain things because of the color of the skin. Which is BS.

John Wiley Price, Dallas County Commissioner, last year in a heated Town Hall meeting said to his opponents, "You're all white. You can all go to hell!". There were no repercussions for this statement.

If He had been white and said , "You're all black. You can all go to hell!", Al Sharpton and other NAACP heads would have been marching the streets of downtown Dallas looking for "justice".

Trill Clinton
That is simply not true. I played ball with a lot of black guys, they knew us white cats were slower and would comment on it.

that's them being prejudice. they had no right to make fun of you being slow, though.

Reck

:lol

That's not being racist.

2pac > Kobe
04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm racist wgaf

it's me
04-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Lol...... so, since they aren't materially discriminated nowdays (blacks have been milking the freaking racism and slavery past for years now) they need to find some way to keep being the victims..... funny stuff.

2pac > Kobe
04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
^real talk

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 12:37 PM

(1) all racial groups must exist in a state of equality and (2) racism must be reduced to (a) race prejudice and/or (b) purposeful action, the goal of which is the oppression of a racialized group. Blacks never tried to oppress whites or other ethnic groups, on the other hand....

We don't live in a country where we are truly equal. So until we do, blacks can't be racist. In order to be racist you must have power and numbers..neither of which do blacks have.

CuckingFunt
04-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Because racism is systemic. And attached to larger issues of power, privilege, and oppression.

At least from a theoretical point of view, "racism" refers to the systemic ways in which people of color are disadvantaged within our society. People of color therefore can't enact a system of racism against whites because they are not afforded the privilege or power necessary to do so.

"Prejudice," on the other hand, is typically used to describe beliefs on a personal level. And it applies equally to all groups. Black folks can be every bit as prejudiced as whites, on an individual or collective level, but they can't turn those prejudices into a system in which white people are at a societal disadvantage as a result.

And the distinction isn't limited to issues of race. Sexism, ageism, and so forth, also refer more to systems of power/oppression rather than personal prejudices. The distinction is also seen in the deference between the terms heterosexism and homophobia.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

That's not being racist.

Sure it is. Assuming somebody is this or that because of race. Then treating them a particular way because of that belief. That's racism.

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Lol...... so, since they aren't materially discriminated nowdays (blacks have been milking the freaking racism and slavery past for years now) they need to find some way to keep being the victims..... funny stuff.

You wish racism and discrimination would go away too, huh? me too. We shouldn't be having these conversations in 2012.

Reck
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Sure it is. Assuming somebody is this or that because of race. Then treating them a particular way because of that belief. That's racism.

Were you actually slow? Maybe he was commenting on your inability to keep up or dribble the ball? That would be a fact.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Were you actually slow? Maybe he was commenting on your inability to keep up or dribble the ball? That would be a fact.

For a white guy I was actually pretty fast, a 10.75 100m. I was also a starting running back/defensive back/kick returner, yep I had that agility/quicks/speed combo. A rarity in a white guy. So I'd hear..."for a white guy you sure are....".

It was more about our competition. My black teammates would talk about those slow white guys on the other team. It was.."he can't cover me, he's white".

Ever notice we have never seen a fast white American female? Ok ok...not since the 50's anyway.

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Ever notice we have never seen a fast white American female? Ok ok...not since the 50's anyway.

speak for yourself, there was a white girl on my track team that could give flojo a run for her money.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 01:17 PM
speak for yourself, there was a white girl on my track team that could give flojo a run for her money.

No there wasn't.

Big sprint fan here, I do keep up on it. Flo Jo was a 10.6 sprinter (we'll forget her windy 10.4) the girl you are talking about never ran a sub 11.00...right?

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 01:19 PM
No there wasn't.

Big sprint fan here, I do keep up on it. Flo Jo was a 10.6 sprinter (we'll forget her windy 10.4) the girl you are talking about never ran a sub 11.00...right?

lets keep the thread on task, please. we can discuss womens track at another time.

RaZon
04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
lets keep the thread on task, please. we can discuss womens track at another time.

Not really talking track as much as I'm talking those "obvious" differences. Track being a great example of just how different we are.

clambake
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
its evolution. through time they had to evolve to run just faster than the white man.

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
:lol quit crying about how racist america is and the big bad white boogeyman

here's something that will blow your mind: the white man is the most persecuted group in america today

FuzzyLumpkins
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM

This is so dumb its scary.

Alex Haley
04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
They forget that their fellow black brothers are the ones who sold them into slavery.

Not in the USA. Good try though.

Alex Haley
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
:lol quit crying about how racist america is and the big bad white boogeyman

here's something that will blow your mind: the white man is the most persecuted group in america today

Payback is a bitch.

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Payback is a bitch.

Your mom's a bitch.

Phenomanul
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I guess folks in here glossed over Cucking Funt's post... Really all in the definition...

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Payback is a bitch.

that type of mentality is racist/prejudice though. i personally never did anything to a black person in my life. why do i deserve any payback?

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
This is so dumb its scary.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXnDM9r7lD7SQwkfAAP_b7S9CYDzoPp cbLWkesO0kqitD6OcTZuAB-Q6pK

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
I guess folks in here glossed over Cucking Funt's post... Really all in the definition...

yup

Phineas J. Whoopee
04-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Doesn't everyone?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Doesn't everyone?

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 02:01 PM
that type of mentality is racist/prejudice though. i personally never did anything to a black person in my life. why do i deserve any payback?

agreed. I try to not even have to talk to black people.

Trill Clinton
04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
agreed. I try to not even have to talk to black people.

:lol this is why you're my favorite white poster. :toast

Fpoonsie
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I didn't read the OP, but I assume it has something to do w/ when I mutter "n!gger" in my sleep.

vy65
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Because racism is systemic. And attached to larger issues of power, privilege, and oppression.

At least from a theoretical point of view, "racism" refers to the systemic ways in which people of color are disadvantaged within our society. People of color therefore can't enact a system of racism against whites because they are not afforded the privilege or power necessary to do so.

"Prejudice," on the other hand, is typically used to describe beliefs on a personal level. And it applies equally to all groups. Black folks can be every bit as prejudiced as whites, on an individual or collective level, but they can't turn those prejudices into a system in which white people are at a societal disadvantage as a result.

And the distinction isn't limited to issues of race. Sexism, ageism, and so forth, also refer more to systems of power/oppression rather than personal prejudices. The distinction is also seen in the deference between the terms heterosexism and homophobia.

Don't agree at all. Racism is a world view or a system of thought. Is it linked to the mechanics of power or oppression? Absolutely. But that hierarchy is instantiated first on a way of thinking about people -- and that thought process is racism.

And what you're saying seems to imply that blacks, or hispanics, or other "races" are incapable of racism because they're powerless. I don't find that accurate at all because it seems to presume that power and its exercise is only institutional and/or majoritarian.

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
99% of whites are also completely powerless and poor..does that mean we can't be racist either?

703 Spurz
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
(1) all racial groups must exist in a state of equality and (2) racism must be reduced to (a) race prejudice and/or (b) purposeful action, the goal of which is the oppression of a racialized group. Blacks never tried to oppress whites or other ethnic groups, on the other hand....

We don't live in a country where we are truly equal. So until we do, blacks can't be racist. In order to be racist you must have power and numbers..neither of which do blacks have.

Every race has a ton of middle-class or poor people. Let's not act like whites and other ethnic groups are all rolling in the money.

Anyone can be racist

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
:lol this is why you're my favorite white poster. :toast

Thanks Trill. I think over the last couple of months, we've shown that fake blacks and fake racist whites can coexist and learn to appreciate each other. In commemoration and with a slight nod to...RaZon...as we travel the road to world unity...we step up our game and ...respect the thread...here's some...music

TZtiJN6yiik

Saved By Zero
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM
When it comes to racism I have a clear conscious.

CuckingFunt
04-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Don't agree at all. Racism is a world view or a system of thought. Is it linked to the mechanics of power or oppression? Absolutely. But that hierarchy is instantiated first on a way of thinking about people -- and that thought process is racism.

And what you're saying seems to imply that blacks, or hispanics, or other "races" are incapable of racism because they're powerless. I don't find that accurate at all because it seems to presume that power and its exercise is only institutional and/or majoritarian.

Which basically boils down to a difference in semantics.

My educational background includes a lot of queer/multicultural/feminist theory, and the trend there is to verbally differentiate between racism, which is always systemic, and prejudice, which is typically personal. In order to allow for a theoretical discussion of the topic, it is important to make this distinction particularly when addressing the sorts of issues brought up in the OP -- situations in which people who may not be overtly or consciously prejudiced are nonetheless influenced by the stereotypes that are reinforced and disseminated through the systems of institutional racism. When the two terms are kept separate and used to address separate issues, it becomes possible to more closely scrutinize the issues surrounding racial inequality. For instance, not everyone harbors racial prejudice, but everyone has to live in and navigate a racist society.

It is not, by any means, intended to absolve any particular group of personal responsibility or to suggest that people in oppressed groups can't be prejudiced. Of course they can. And it's every bit as ignorant when "they" stubbornly hold on to pervasive cultural stereotypes as when "we" do it.

99% of whites are also completely powerless and poor..does that mean we can't be racist either?

Poor whites are made powerless in our society due to other aspects of their identity or due to their socioeconomic status. They still, however, benefit from racial privilege based on their whiteness. For example, if you had two people who were identical in all other categories of identity and class, but one of them was white and the other was a person of color, the white person would have a slight edge.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Tl; dr. FWIW I already feel guilty enough about shouting, "White Power!", in my sleep.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Poor whites are made powerless in our society due to other aspects of their identity or due to their socioeconomic status. They still, however, benefit from racial privilege based on their whiteness. For example, if you had two people who were identical in all other categories of identity and class, but one of them was white and the other was a person of color, the white person would have a slight edge.

That is so generalized as to be meaningless. This is not a one size fits all situation. You can have generalized policies, groupthink and whatnot but there is the reality of the individual. Standing on one's own is a meaningful ethic.

CuckingFunt
04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
That is so generalized as to be meaningless. This is not a one size fits all situation. You can have generalized policies, groupthink and whatnot but there is the reality of the individual. Standing on one's own is a meaningful ethic.

I've never suggested otherwise. All I've said in this thread is that these two levels of racism/prejudice -- the general, societal, institutional vs. the personal/individual -- operate differently and that it is therefore useful to differentiate between the two semantically.

My hypothetical example responding to m>s was intentionally general because I was referring to the broad category of institutional/systemic racism. I still maintain that between two people who share all categories of identity/class except race, the white person is at a societal advantage and is in general the recipient of privilege over the person of color based on the fact that we live in a culture that privileges whiteness. The hypothetical is not intended to negate or ignore the preferences or goals of the individuals in power or to absolve the individuals not in power of personal responsibility for their actions or ethic.

I thought I was pretty clear in my first post that the suggestion people of color couldn't be racist was not necessarily the same thing as suggesting that people of color couldn't hold racially prejudiced views. However, most people's responses indicate the two concepts are still being conflated.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I've never suggested otherwise. All I've said in this thread is that these two levels of racism/prejudice -- the general, societal, institutional vs. the personal/individual -- operate differently and that it is therefore useful to differentiate between the two semantically.

My hypothetical example responding to m>s was intentionally general because I was referring to the broad category of institutional/systemic racism. I still maintain that between two people who share all categories of identity/class except race, the white person is at a societal advantage and is in general the recipient of privilege over the person of color based on the fact that we live in a culture that privileges whiteness. The hypothetical is not intended to negate or ignore the preferences or goals of the individuals in power or to absolve the individuals not in power of personal responsibility for their actions or ethic.

I thought I was pretty clear in my first post that the suggestion people of color couldn't be racist was not necessarily the same thing as suggesting that people of color couldn't hold racially prejudiced views. However, most people's responses indicate the two concepts are still being conflated.

The need to categorize things just pigeonholes. You are dancing around the issue using semantics. You are creating the dynamic then using it as a basis of argument. Its circular logic. Define things as you see fit but it still is what it is.

Its being conflated because despite your viewpoint that they are mutually exclusive entities, they in reality are not. Institutions are manned by individuals. Individual inputs comprise group-think and action. It just sounds to me like you make the demarcation so you can claim that certain actions are not racist precisely because of the semantic connotations of the word. You use the definitions so you can tell yourself its not hypocritical.

mavs>spurs
04-25-2012, 06:39 PM
A white woman (most privileged group in America) is in no position to talk to a white man (most persecuted group in America) about equality. Tell it to the white males coming out of college who now have to compete with affirmative action and race/gender quotas.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
A white woman (most privileged group in America) is in no position to talk to a white man (most persecuted group in America) about equality. Tell it to the white males coming out of college who now have to compete with affirmative action and race/gender quotas.

Yeah, poor whitey... :rolleyes

I. Hustle
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Lol white people are either racist or the annoying ones that carry their huge anti racism flags.

MANGINA
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Watch "Crash".

lefty
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
The bodycount of black people in the Dark (lol) Knight is impressive

Gambol
2 of Gambol's henchmen
Comissioner Loeb
3 black cops

But to be fair, Joker is really white

DAF86
04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Until we get away from the idea that God exists racism will live on. It’s form will continue to change, but its roots will remain sturdy.

fixed.

DAF86
04-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Are you serious?

Reck
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
fixed.

C'mon now..

RaZon
04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Not in the USA. Good try though.

You mean those big plantation owners weren't black:wow

Come on man. Obviously I was talking about selling to the slave traders who brought them over.

A journey/process that weeded out the weak, so only the strong survived. And yes it was just like Jimmy the Greek said.

Nbadan
04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
How To Tell People They Sound Racist

b0Ti-gkJiXc#!

jack sommerset
04-25-2012, 11:31 PM
In short " you're a racist even though you don't act like one or say anything but still a racist all the same and all you have to do is look at the Zimmerman/Martin case to prove my theory" Got it, thanks and God bless.

Huey Freeman
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I honestly dont think there is a human being on this Earth who isn't a little racist tbh.

TheSkeptic
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
I honestly dont think there is a human being on this Earth who isn't a little racist tbh.

Sure there are. I'll admit to being a "class-ist" and a "character-ist" but race doesn't mean anything to me.

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 12:52 AM
The need to categorize things just pigeonholes. You are dancing around the issue using semantics. You are creating the dynamic then using it as a basis of argument. Its circular logic. Define things as you see fit but it still is what it is.

Its being conflated because despite your viewpoint that they are mutually exclusive entities, they in reality are not. Institutions are manned by individuals. Individual inputs comprise group-think and action. It just sounds to me like you make the demarcation so you can claim that certain actions are not racist precisely because of the semantic connotations of the word. You use the definitions so you can tell yourself its not hypocritical.

That you think I've argued for the terms' mutual exclusivity indicates a misunderstanding of my point (or my own failure at expressing it clearly/completely). The point is not that one can EITHER be racist OR prejudiced and that such a distinction is made along racial lines. The prejudice felt or expressed by individuals is the same regardless who's feeling it. The only difference is that prejudices felt or expressed by oppressed groups aren't ever going to be manifest in a societal/cultural system of racial privilege. People of color are likely prejudiced at the same rate and to the same degree that white folks are, but the reality of the situation is that the white privilege from which I benefit isn't threatened as a result.

This essay (http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=9I7ExPk-920C&oi=fnd&pg=PA124&dq=beverly+tatum+defining+racism&ots=r7Vx6iYHBS&sig=MeZ7EOQm_9v8IKzJaT0WcKyfqV0#v=onepage&q=beverly%20tatum%20defining%20racism&f=false) is a good read, and probably does a better job at explaining what I'm getting at than I have, if you're interested.

Jacob1983
04-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Everybody on some level is racist. Accept it and move on.

mingus
04-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Because racism is systemic. And attached to larger issues of power, privilege and oppression

Are you suggesting minorities aren't in positions of power and privilege?

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Are you suggesting minorities aren't in positions of power and privilege?

Are some people of color in positions of power within their lives or specific situations? Of course.

Can people of color be in positions of power/privilege based on certain other aspects of their identity? Absolutely.

But are people of color, as a group, in a position of power or the recipients of racial privilege within our society? No.

mingus
04-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Are some people of color in positions of power within their lives or specific situations? Of course.

Can people of color be in positions of power/privilege based on certain other aspects of their identity? Absolutely.

But are people of color, as a group, in a position of power or the recipients of racial privilege within our society? No.

Racism is racism, whether it involves groups of people or individuals.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-26-2012, 02:04 AM
That you think I've argued for the terms' mutual exclusivity indicates a misunderstanding of my point (or my own failure at expressing it clearly/completely). The point is not that one can EITHER be racist OR prejudiced and that such a distinction is made along racial lines. The prejudice felt or expressed by individuals is the same regardless who's feeling it. The only difference is that prejudices felt or expressed by oppressed groups aren't ever going to be manifest in a societal/cultural system of racial privilege. People of color are likely prejudiced at the same rate and to the same degree that white folks are, but the reality of the situation is that the white privilege from which I benefit isn't threatened as a result.

This essay (http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=9I7ExPk-920C&oi=fnd&pg=PA124&dq=beverly+tatum+defining+racism&ots=r7Vx6iYHBS&sig=MeZ7EOQm_9v8IKzJaT0WcKyfqV0#v=onepage&q=beverly%20tatum%20defining%20racism&f=false) is a good read, and probably does a better job at explaining what I'm getting at than I have, if you're interested.

Then by your definition this is not an oppressive society and I have seen super market lines in Meridian, MS. The bold is just absurd. There as so many cliches in broadcast and print media that are "manifest in a societal/cultural system of racial privilege" that I don't even think it should be necessary to point them out.

Take the Texas Congressional Redistricting procedure. If that is not a racially oppressive process cultural system then i do not know what is. However due in no small part the ever more increasing representation of minorities the judicial process is able to be used to enforce the view, re: prejudices, of how minorities would want the districts drawn. By virtue of advocating districts populated by minorities that is prejudicial. That particular white privilege is very much so threatened.

Does that not make the GOP districting policy not racist? Not to me.

I agree that I misunderstood the approach you were taking but my point remains the same. At best its an existential argument but arguments about the separation of consciousness and the mind aside you are making the assumption that there is a single definition of terms. The one you are using certainly doesn't jive with conventional wisdom and as your author points out it doesn't even match the definition in the dictionary.

It just strikes me as a position that allows one to judge policy without muddying the waters with the views of the individual or that prejudice based on race can be benign or even positive. Your author even claims that she rejects the definition in the asking 'whose interest does it serve?' I wonder why that is even necessary.

I don't like broad generalizations to begin with because I think they muddy understanding of what is actually going on. 'Enforceable negative racial prejudice' just doesn't work for me for a word whose roots are 'race' and the suffix -ism. I don't deny the reality of what your author describes however I think inserting that reality into what is already a disputed term serves nobody.

ginobili's bald spot
04-26-2012, 02:13 AM

This is a racist statement.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2012, 02:20 AM
You are joking, right? I have met more racist blacks than from any other race.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2012, 02:22 AM
No...

Racism is believing one race is inferior to another. It looks like you believe blacks are inferior, if so, you are a racist.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Definition of RACISM

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

link (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism)

CitizenDwayne
04-26-2012, 02:26 AM
When I read the title, my mind immediately went to something a friend said:

"I think the Pixies song 'Monkey Gone to Heaven' is about Martin Luther King's death."

He saw nothing wrong with that statement, and wasn't trying to be funny.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2012, 02:35 AM

I think it's just another excuse to lay off all blame from themselves. I also think it's an excuse to hate and play victim at the same time.

Wild Cobra
04-26-2012, 02:39 AM

Corrupted power and racism are two different things, and just because some people combine them, does not mean power is required to be a racist.

Landon Donofag
04-26-2012, 03:57 AM
The article is fucking stupid. Racism exists because people see God as being white? :lmao

Get rid of religion problem solved. :wakeup

Wild Cobra
04-26-2012, 04:47 AM
What is it with all these asinine trolls in this thread?

KKK
04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
What is it with all these asinine trolls in this thread?

They speak the truth?

Trill Clinton
04-26-2012, 09:13 AM
No...

Racism is believing one race is inferior to another. It looks like you believe blacks are inferior, if so, you are a racist.

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Then by your definition this is not an oppressive society and I have seen super market lines in Meridian, MS. The bold is just absurd. There as so many cliches in broadcast and print media that are "manifest in a societal/cultural system of racial privilege" that I don't even think it should be necessary to point them out.

Take the Texas Congressional Redistricting procedure. If that is not a racially oppressive process cultural system then i do not know what is. However due in no small part the ever more increasing representation of minorities the judicial process is able to be used to enforce the view, re: prejudices, of how minorities would want the districts drawn. By virtue of advocating districts populated by minorities that is prejudicial. That particular white privilege is very much so threatened.

Does that not make the GOP districting policy not racist? Not to me.

I agree that I misunderstood the approach you were taking but my point remains the same. At best its an existential argument but arguments about the separation of consciousness and the mind aside you are making the assumption that there is a single definition of terms. The one you are using certainly doesn't jive with conventional wisdom and as your author points out it doesn't even match the definition in the dictionary.

It just strikes me as a position that allows one to judge policy without muddying the waters with the views of the individual or that prejudice based on race can be benign or even positive. Your author even claims that she rejects the definition in the asking 'whose interest does it serve?' I wonder why that is even necessary.

I don't like broad generalizations to begin with because I think they muddy understanding of what is actually going on. 'Enforceable negative racial prejudice' just doesn't work for me for a word whose roots are 'race' and the suffix -ism. I don't deny the reality of what your author describes however I think inserting that reality into what is already a disputed term serves nobody.

It's not existential. It's theoretical, which I was clear about in my very first post on the subject. It is a concept intended to allow for a discussion of race and racial issues that takes into consideration the environment in which we live and the reality of the power dynamics present within our society as a whole.

The discursive differentiation between "racism" and "prejudice" as terms/concepts has never been about making distinctions between certain attitudes or actions, but instead hints at differences amongst the effects or cultural repercussions of those attitudes and actions. The statement that only whites can be racist is then not a statement that racial prejudice exhibited by white people is inherently different (or worse, or more evil) than racial prejudice exhibited by people of color, or conversely that racial prejudice exhibited by people of color is inherently better or more justifiable than racial prejudice exhibited by white people. The actions are the same, and are equally divisive/unproductive, across the board.

RaZon
04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
We are different. There is no need for bullshit games. Yet those games...MUST...be played. The whole thing is ridiculous.

I've been called in for jury duty a half dozen times or so, every single time it was the same guy. A young hispanic in trouble.

Why this need to play games?

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
We are different. There is no need for bullshit games. Yet those games...MUST...be played. The whole thing is ridiculous.

I've been called in for jury duty a half dozen times or so, every single time it was the same guy. A young hispanic in trouble.

Why this need to play games?

The "games" are necessary in order to address the issue of why so many trials involve a defendant who is a young male of color. For example.

(Hint: "Because he's brown" isn't the correct answer.)

RaZon
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
The "games" are necessary in order to address the issue of why so many trials involve a defendant who is a young male of color. For example.

(Hint: "Because he's brown" isn't the correct answer.)

Since I don't play games.

Mexicans have this "macho" thing going. Blacks are rarely raised with a father in the home. In my life experiences I've noticed few Mex/blacks enjoy reading. So it's a combination of things.

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Since I don't play games.

Mexicans have this "macho" thing going. Blacks are rarely raised with a father in the home. In my life experiences I've noticed few Mex/blacks enjoy reading. So it's a combination of things.

So you're suggesting that young men of color are more prone to be criminals because they're biologically inclined to grow up in overly masculine and/or fatherless households? That they're, again, biologically inclined to commit crimes?

RaZon
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
So you're suggesting that young men of color are more prone to be criminals because they're biologically inclined to grow up in overly masculine and/or fatherless households? That they're, again, biologically inclined to commit crimes?

Look at Nigeria and Mexico. Look at the crime in Jamaica. What's that tell you?

I'll be as blunt as a central Cali guy can be....Mexicans do not respect the laws and use the system all they can. Common knowlege. They jave no health insurance, no car insurance. Too many kids for what they can afford.

Blacks grow up without that father figure in the home. So where is the discipline?

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Look at Nigeria and Mexico. Look at the crime in Jamaica. What's that tell you?

It tells me that disenfranchised communities with high poverty rates invite corruption, violence, and acts of desperation.

NASCARdad
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
This razon thinks like I do.

RaZon
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
It tells me that disenfranchised communities with high poverty rates invite corruption, violence, and acts of desperation.

How long have those countries been in existence? Why are they...STILL...in that position?

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
How long have those countries been in existence? Why are they...STILL...in that position?

Other than the fact that they, like much of the global south, have been repeatedly fucked over by the rest of the world?

RaZon
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Other than the fact that they, like much of the global south, have been repeatedly fucked over by the rest of the world?

Do you honestly believe that? You don't have a clue do you? Ever been to Mexico?

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Do you honestly believe that? You don't have a clue do you? Ever been to Mexico?

Yes, I believe that. And, yes, I have been to Mexico.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Lol, at the white man's burden rhetoric from the local rednecks. You guys are obviously pillars of society. I have a question: why is LA, AL and MS still like that?

RaZon
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, I believe that. And, yes, I have been to Mexico.

Then you'd be about as wrong as wrong gets. Did you get out of the car in Mexico?

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Then you'd be about as wrong as wrong gets. Did you get out of the car in Mexico?

Yes, I did.

However, what you're advocating -- that my ability to assess a country and its inhabitants requires making judgments solely based on their behaviors and living conditions -- is exactly what I think is irresponsible and leads to lazy stereotyping.

mingus
04-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I've been to Africa numerous times and the way lighter skinned blacks treat darker skinned blacks looks like racism

RaZon
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes, I did.

However, what you're advocating -- that my ability to assess a country and its inhabitants requires making judgments solely based on their behaviors and living conditions -- is exactly what I think is irresponsible and leads to lazy stereotyping.

When you go to the local courthouse and it's always...

Garcia
Hernandez
Herrera

...etc etc etc on the docket. When you know people in law enforcement and they tell you who they have the most problems with it's not lazy stereotyping. Try reality!

CuckingFunt
04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
When you go to the local courthouse and it's always...

Garcia
Hernandez
Herrera

...etc etc etc on the docket. When you know people in law enforcement and they tell you who they have the most problems with it's not lazy stereotyping. Try reality!

It's ignoring a problem to bitch about its symptom. Which IS lazy.