PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do sous vide cooking?

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
I just went all in and ordered all the components to do a semi-professional setup...the small house setups are ridiculously expensive...(like $400-$500)...I ordered all the components to do a big time setup for about $140...

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I just went all in and ordered all the components to do a semi-professional setup...the small house setups are ridiculously expensive...(like $400-$500)...I ordered all the components to do a big time setup for about $140...

I did the same thing in your mom's butt.

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I did the same thing in your mom's butt.

It's not surprising that you are into Necrophilia.

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 04:26 PM
It's not surprising that you are into Necrophilia.

With your mom, it's Negrofeelia.

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 04:27 PM
My mother is dead.

cantthinkofanything
04-25-2012, 04:29 PM
My mother is dead.

that explains her disinterest in anal sex

mrsmaalox
04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Sous vide is that fancy "cooking bag" method a lot of restaurants use, right?

step up to the mike
04-25-2012, 04:52 PM
I just marinate and save my money.

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Sous vide is that fancy "cooking bag" method a lot of restaurants use, right?

Yeah...probably "Precision cooking" is a better descriptive name...example, you can sous vide a steak @ 130 for two hours and then flash sear it maybe a minute on each side and it comes out a perfect medium rare because you controlled the water temp at 130.

I'm interested in working with some of the coarser cuts. I understand you can sous vide a brisket for 48 hours and it comes out a perfect but tender medium rare...I'd like to experiment with doing that and then cold smoking it for six or eight hours...could be absolutely amazing.

DMC
04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I can cook a perfect steak, medium rare, in much less than 2 hours. I guess I don't get the point.

DMC
04-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Slomo
04-25-2012, 05:08 PM

I've cooked Sous vide at a friend's restaurant with a pro setup. The results were quite good and the process fun (as in unusual).

I don't own a setup for two reasons: $$$ and lack of space in the kitchen. I've never heard of a setup costing only 140$, that's pretty badass.

EmerilLagasse
04-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I can cook a perfect steak, medium rare, in much less than 2 hours. I guess I don't get the point.

I hear ya buddy. If you need to go through all that to get a fantastic tasting steak then you don't know grillin'. Just some simple salt and pepper and BAM! I'll have a perfectly cooked steak for you.

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Oh, I'm pretty damn good on a grill myself. The difference is you can cook to a precise temperature/doneness every time and they don't lose ANY natural juices. Zero. it's like supercharging the flavor.

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
I've cooked Sous vide at a friend's restaurant with a pro setup. The results were quite good and the process fun (as in unusual).

I don't own a setup for two reasons: $$$ and lack of space in the kitchen. I've never heard of a setup costing only 140$, that's pretty badass.

i ordered all the individual components and will wire it all up myself...a digital temperature controller, an immersion heater, a waterproof stainless thermocouple, a contactor that the controller can operate to turn the heater on/off and a low voltage, high temp mini circulator pump. I can use this setup from a small pot on the stove to a 140qt ice chest depending on how many I am cooking for.

Sportcamper
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I don’t understand why this is so popular right now…In all seriousness it is not unlike the frozen filet mignon roast sealed in a freezer bad with juices that you boil for a short time & then throw on a cast iron skillet a minute each side…This has been around for decades…What am I missing?

CosmicCowboy
04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I don’t understand why this is so popular right now…In all seriousness it is not unlike the frozen filet mignon roast sealed in a freezer bad with juices that you boil for a short time & then throw on a cast iron skillet a minute each side…This has been around for decades…What am I missing?

The attraction for me is that I can control the meat I use and the process and experiment...the fact that no juices are lost is a huge factor for me.

Example: I want to try to cold smoke a brisket or tenderloin for 6 or 8 hours on my smoker and get a killer low temp smoke ring...then sous vide it for 48 hours (turn it on and let it go) and then flash it with the pear burner to end up when it's time to serve with a medium rare, firm but tender smoked brisket...

Viva Las Espuelas
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't see what cooking it twice will do to it other than prolong eating it. I understand the concept of a low and slow cook on meat-- to break down the proteins, but you're gonna lose juices if you cold smoke it. There's plenty of examples of this done by other people on the net and it looks great after cooking it for 48 hours.

Sportcamper
04-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Viva Las Espuelas
04-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm all about kicking up a notch but you cooked it once.........

leemajors
07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
http://www.thekitchn.com/codlo-instantly-transform-your-appliances-into-sous-vide-machines-191981

Codlo is basically an external temperature controller that overrides the internal controller in your appliance, allowing you to fine-tune the precise cooking temperature. You plug your appliance into the Codlo and then the Codlo into a wall outlet. A slim temperature probe slips inside your appliance. Set the Codlo to your desired cooking temperature and let it do the job of maintaining a steady temperature for you.

Twisted_Dawg
07-12-2013, 06:21 AM

i ordered all the individual components and will wire it all up myself...a digital temperature controller, an immersion heater, a waterproof stainless thermocouple, a contactor that the controller can operate to turn the heater on/off and a low voltage, high temp mini circulator pump. I can use this setup from a small pot on the stove to a 140qt ice chest depending on how many I am cooking for.

Did you order all the components from one web site or did you piece meal it? How about posting a pic of your cooker? Are you still cooking with it?

Twisted_Dawg
07-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Yeah...probably "Precision cooking" is a better descriptive name...example, you can sous vide a steak @ 130 for two hours and then flash sear it maybe a minute on each side and it comes out a perfect medium rare because you controlled the water temp at 130.

I'm interested in working with some of the coarser cuts. I understand you can sous vide a brisket for 48 hours and it comes out a perfect but tender medium rare...I'd like to experiment with doing that and then cold smoking it for six or eight hours...could be absolutely amazing.

The attraction for me is that I can control the meat I use and the process and experiment...the fact that no juices are lost is a huge factor for me.

Example: I want to try to cold smoke a brisket or tenderloin for 6 or 8 hours on my smoker and get a killer low temp smoke ring...then sous vide it for 48 hours (turn it on and let it go) and then flash it with the pear burner to end up when it's time to serve with a medium rare, firm but tender smoked brisket...

Did you try this? A bit confusing which step you did first. What do you mean by cold smoking?

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I did a brisket. It was very good but it wasn't really recognizable as brisket...more like the taste and texture of prime rib with fat pockets to trim out since the fat didn't get hot enough to render. I'm gonna stick to the conventional low and slow smoke to 190 internal on briskets.

Here is a pic of the brisket...flavor was great and it was fork tender, it just didn't look or taste like brisket.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/96/ranchpics006.jpg

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Did you order all the components from one web site or did you piece meal it? How about posting a pic of your cooker? Are you still cooking with it?

I put mine together out of parts I ordered from different places because at the time I couldn't buy one already done... but you can buy units already done now for just a little more than my components cost....

Here is what mine looks like:

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/402/sousvidecontroller021.jpg

Here I'm using it with a turkey roaster as the water bath/heat source

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/689/pit015.jpg

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2013, 07:08 AM
One thing I have found that it absolutely kicks ass on is pork chops. Thick pork chops are tough to get tender on a smoker/grill. When HEB puts them on sale I will go to the butcher and get them to cut them double thick (with 2 bones...about 2-2 1/2 " thick) I will shrink wrap wrap them and then SV them (unseasoned) for 4 hours @ 135 and then put them in the fridge. They are now still juicy and tender and cooked all the way through. Then I will pat them dry, season them, and put them on the smoker at 210 and pull them off at an internal of 140 (about two hours). I'll immediately throw them on a hot mesquite coal grill and sear them. Pretty freaking amazing eats at a cheap price.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/706/xn7w.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/20/2yzm.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/543/x33l.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/96/d84b.jpg

mrsmaalox
07-12-2013, 09:37 AM
:lol I dunno Cowboy, amazing eats at a cheap price? Boiling 4 hours in that contraption, then 2 hours in a smoker, and then you still have to build a mesquite coal fire and cook it some more? Sounds like a hefty investment for something you eat off of a paper plate! ;)

TeyshaBlue
07-12-2013, 09:40 AM
:lol I dunno Cowboy, amazing eats at a cheap price? Boiling 4 hours in that contraption, then 2 hours in a smoker, and then you still have to build a mesquite coal fire and cook it some more? Sounds like a hefty investment for something you eat off of a paper plate! ;)

You can order all this stuff and more at needlesslycomplexcookingstuff.com

Sportcamper
07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Those are the most awesome pork chops I have ever seen…

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2013, 09:55 AM

I never claimed to not have cool cooking toys...:p:

the SV is turn on and forget about. No effort required.

The mesquite coals are in the firebox of my smoker...I just flip up the firebox lid and put the grill down...one fire does both jobs.

Oh, and thats a white china plate...:p:

monosylab1k
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I got a sous vide machine a couple months ago. Made beef short ribs that were amazing tbh. But yeah, the unrendered fat was the only problem, gotta trim the fat on those things beforehand.

mrsmaalox
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Well they look gorgeous but I'm afraid I need a taste test to determine if they are worth all your effort :D

CuckingFunt
07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Rendered fat is the best part of eating meat.

leemajors
07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
CF MADE A TYPO

CuckingFunt
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Um... nuh uh.

Drachen
07-12-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.thekitchn.com/codlo-instantly-transform-your-appliances-into-sous-vide-machines-191981

http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373651898&sr=8-1&keywords=sous+vide+temperature+controller

Twisted_Dawg
07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
CC....what temp is your smoker running at when you smoke a brisket?

Clipper Nation
07-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Never heard of sous vide before, but those pork chops look damn good, tbh....

Twisted_Dawg
07-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I got a sous vide machine a couple months ago. Made beef short ribs that were amazing tbh. But yeah, the unrendered fat was the only problem, gotta trim the fat on those things beforehand.

How long did you cook the ribs? Did you sear them before you served them?

monosylab1k
07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
How long did you cook the ribs? Did you sear them before you served them?

I did them for 72 hours at 132 degrees, and then i seared it with a torch. Came out incredibly tender, but you definitely need to trim off as much fat as you can before cooking because there will be tons of unrendered fat. Still was easily the best non-BBQ beef rib i've ever eaten.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2013, 11:16 PM

shouldn't be more than 250

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2013, 11:17 PM
I did them for 72 hours at 132 degrees, and then i seared it with a torch. Came out incredibly tender, but you definitely need to trim off as much fat as you can before cooking because there will be tons of unrendered fat. Still was easily the best non-BBQ beef rib i've ever eaten.

72 hours????! talk about planning out your meals.

Capt Bringdown
07-12-2013, 11:17 PM
This one looks promising for an all-thumbs dork such as myself:

Amazon: DorkFood DSV Temperature Controller for Sous-vide --more >> (http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QoRFjxI2L._SX450_.jpg

-Precise temperature control that's truly "plug & play"
-Transforms inexpensive appliances into sous vide water baths
-Monitors temperature using integrated probe
-Switches integrated device on and off to control whatever is plugged in
-The safe, affordable way to try sous vide
$99 -- more -->>
(http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4)

Dorkfood company website -->> (http://www.dorkfood.com/)

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Rendered fat is the best part of eating meat.

that

monosylab1k
07-12-2013, 11:25 PM
72 hours????! talk about planning out your meals.

Yeah thats the big drawback of sous vide-ing really tough cuts of meat, it takes 24+ hours to tenderize it. But its really a "set it & forget it" way of cooking so its not like it takes much effort.

Fpoonsie
07-14-2013, 05:44 PM
You can order all this stuff and more at needlesslycomplexcookingstuff.com

:lol

Dr. Gonzo
07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
I put 140 degree water into a small ice chest, seal up some steaks in a freezer bag and let them sit for 45 minutes. It cooks them to a medium then throw them on a grill for a minute or two on each side and you have the same result without spending anything on a machine.

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2013, 01:33 PM

I do briskets at 210. Cook unwrapped to 190 internal, then wrap in towels and put in a small ice chest.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/6/ranchq002.jpg

mrsmaalox
07-17-2013, 01:36 PM
What are those bacony things?

TeyshaBlue
07-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Who cares? They're made with bacon!

mrsmaalox
07-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Who cares? They're made with bacon!

They could be turds and you'd still dig in right? :lol

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2013, 01:52 PM

They are usually called poppers. You can stuff them with anything. These are fresh big jalapeno's cut in half stuffed with cheddar cheese and italian sausage then wrapped in bacon and smoked.

monosylab1k
07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I do briskets at 210. Cook unwrapped to 190 internal, then wrap in towels and put in a small ice chest.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/6/ranchq002.jpg

What kind of rub do u use?

Drachen
07-17-2013, 09:56 PM
They could be turds and you'd still dig in right? :lol

Didn't you hear? He said bacon!

THEGOAT
07-18-2013, 10:26 AM
They are usually called poppers. You can stuff them with anything. These are fresh big jalapeno's cut in half stuffed with cheddar cheese and italian sausage then wrapped in bacon and smoked.

i bought those fish baskets and use them to make poppers. now all i have to do is flip the entire thing once and i'm done.