PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Kobe has benched all starters so he can gun for the scoring title

noob cake
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
SACRAMENTO -- With the No. 3 seed in the Western Conference playoffs already locked up heading into Thursday's regular-season finale against the Sacramento Kings, the Los Angeles Lakers' coaching staff is planning to sit the team's stars and use the game as a talent evaluator for its young players.

With one caveat: Kobe Bryant could be the lone starter lacing them up with the substitutes.

While the win-loss column might not be a motivator for the team at this point with the postseason looming, Bryant still has something to play for. Bryant comes into Thursday averaging 27.86 points per game, second in the league to Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, who leads the NBA with a 28.03 points per game average and would win his third straight scoring title if he can stave off Bryant.

"We'll probably rest guys, but it won't just be me saying, 'Hey, I'm going to sit you down,' " Lakers coach Mike Brown said after practice on Wednesday. "I give guys some ownership in this."

Bryant will make his final decision to play or not Thursday at shootaround and already has said that capturing the third scoring title of his career in this, his 16th season, was "not very important." But Bryant also seemed to indicate that he did not plan on sitting out any more games after returning to the lineup last week after a seven-game, 14-day long absence because of a left shin injury.

"I'm not on vacation," Bryant told reporters in San Antonio after his first game back in the lineup. "I was hurt. If I'm healthy, I play."

Durant scored 32 points in his regular-season finale on Wednesday against the Denver Nuggets meaning Bryant will need 38 points or more against the Kings to beat out Durant for the scoring crown.

Brown wasn't championing Bryant winning the scoring race on his watch, saying Wednesday, "it's not necessarily important to me," but another L.A. skipper fully endorses the idea.

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly, who found himself in a similar situation to Bryant back in 1984 when he entered the last day of the MLB regular season still vying for the batting title with his New York Yankees teammate Dave Winfield as his main competition. Mattingly won the title by going 4 for 5 from the plate in the last game of the year.

"If you ask (Derek) Jeter, down at the end of the year and we had a four- or five-game lead, he wants to play because he wants to stay sharp," Mattingly told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne. "Is that wrong? Some people will say he should've taken the rest."

For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog

Mattingly added that Bryant has "got to do what (he) feels is right" and should not worry about any outside criticism if he decides to go for 40 points in an otherwise meaningless game to win the scoring title.

"I like Kobe," Mattingly said. "He's a killer to me, under pressure. He's one of those guys that wants the ball. He's hit so many big shots."

Bryant, Pau Gasol and Matt Barnes all sat out practice on Wednesday, with Barnes staying back in Los Angeles to rehab his moderately sprained right ankle rather than traveling with the team to Sacramento.

Gasol repeatedly has said he would welcome rest if the schedule allows it, so he is likley to sit out. Andrew Bynum told reporters after practice Wednesday that he would not have a problem sitting out if Brown decides to get him extra rest with the playoffs right around the corner. The Lakers will also be without Metta World Peace as he'll serve the first game of his seven-game suspension for his hit on Oklahoma City's James Harden.

Barnes' injury and World Peace's suspension left the Lakers with a glaring hole at small forward, so the team recalled Christian Eyenga from their D-League affiliate, the Los Angeles D-Fenders, on Wednesday. Eyenga was acquired from the Cleveland Cavaliers as part of the Ramon Sessions deal at the trade deadline.

Eyenga is quite the unknown, having never had an introductory press conference in L.A., and has yet to play in a game for the Lakers. He has only attended a couple home games to be part of the team on the bench, once coming just to pose for a portrait while wearing his Lakers No. 88 jersey for media guide purposes.

Eyenga averaged 12.2 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.3 blocks and 33.0 minutes in six games with the D-Fenders and will miss Game 2 of the D-League Finals on Thursday to play with the Lakers. The D-Fenders hold a 1-0 lead over the Austin Toros in the best-of-three championship series.

"I know he's athletic," Brown said of Eyenga. "It will be interesting to see what we have (Thursday)."

The Lakers also are considering resting Sessions, who has been playing with a sore left shoulder and jammed right index finger for the past several weeks. If Sessions sits, rookie Darius Morris likely will take his place.

So if Bryant decides to play, he could be joined by Morris, Devin Ebanks, Jordan Hill and Josh McRoberts in the starting five. If Bryant doesn't play, it likely would be Eyenga along with those four.

"They know they need to be ready," Brown said when asked about his young players.

I predict a 42 points on 38 shots type of game from Kome. Finally, Kome gets to be the first, second and third option on offense.

Danny.Zhu
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
:lmao

lefty
04-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Coach Kobe :lmao

TE
04-25-2012, 11:56 PM
:lol

NRHector
04-26-2012, 12:02 AM
and he still says is not important :lol

namlook
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
http://members.fortunecity.com/stefnba/robinson/71sco.htm

David Robinson on scoring 71 the last game of the season to win a scoring title:
" Generally, I don't get wrapped up in individual accomplishments. Most times, my primary focus is on the team. I just try to win games and not worry about personal goals. I don't like getting too much hype. One time, however, there was an opportunity to win the NBA scoring title, and I capitalized on it..."

"Our game was meaningless for both clubs. We were in the playoffs, and the Clippers were not. Its only significance was its affect on the scoring race."

"...I rank that as the most memorable game of my career." :lmao

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Durant would have to score 184 in the final six games of the season, an average of 30.7 points per game, to pass Bryant (28.075 to 28.071) for a third straight scoring crown. ‘That’s hard to do in the NBA, man,’ a smiling Durant said of averaging 30.7 points the remainder of the season. ‘That’s the farthest thing from my mind....' " :lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Durant on the proposal that his minutes be limited to close the season in meaningless games:

"If I play, I don't want to play 15, 20 minutes," Durant said. "Scotty, whatever he wants me to do, I'll do it. But I really don't want to play a half or something like that. I want to go out there and, if I do play, kick it in full drive and use that as an opportunity to get better." :lmao

"Once I'm in the mode and the energy is going, I just don't like to get pulled out and sit for a while," he added. "I just want to hopefully play as long as I can. But we'll see what Scotty does."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not going to sit him (Durant), but he’s not going to play the 37 or 38 minutes that he (usually) gets,’ Scott Brooks said. ‘If he can get it done (score enough points to win the title) in 28 minutes, then good luck.’

Minutes Durant played last night: 40:02 (used "as an opportunity to get better") :lmao

lefty
04-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Namlook is butthurt :lol

Relax man

namlook
04-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Namlook is butthurt :lol

Relax man

Yeah right. More like laughing my ass off. It's funny as shit that DRob thinks his meaningless game was the most memorable of his career and that Durant totally lies about wanting the scoring title. If Kobe scores 70 tomorrow and calls it the most memorable game of his career what is the reaction going to be? :rollin

lefty
04-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah right. More like laughing my ass off. It's funny as shit that DRob thinks his meaningless game was the most memorable of his career and that Durant totally lies about wanting the scoring title. If Kobe scores 70 tomorrow and calls it the most memorable game of his career what is the reaction going to be? :rollin
Except that D-Rob was a team player during his whole career

So what if he went off on a shitty Clippers team ?

Kobe tries to do that every fucking single night :lmao

namlook
04-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Except that D-Rob was a team player during his whole career

So what if he went off on a shitty Clippers team ?

I agree that if you have a chance at a scoring title go for it. But don't call it the most memorable game of your career. That looks bad.

rayjayjohnson
04-26-2012, 01:22 AM
We built Brick City on Kurrrrrby's shot...

BlairForceDejuan
04-26-2012, 01:24 AM
lmao fuking candyland NBA.

ElNono
04-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Lakers have lost too many games enabling Kobe to win that title, it would be foolish to give up now.

Venti Quattro
04-26-2012, 02:52 AM
This is one of the rare times that I'm rooting for Kobe to shoot 50 shots. He'd be a fucking doozy if he doesn't.

Sense
04-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Players seriously want scoring titles?

Wtf?

Donkeybong
04-26-2012, 03:13 AM
go for it mambz

BRHornet45
04-26-2012, 03:48 AM
sons this award will be titled ...

"I chucked the ball up as many times as possible and shot an absolutely pathetic field goal and three point percentage"

yet he still will not have scored the most points in the NBA this season. he has had an advantage playing in less games than others like LeBron and Durant to help his points per game average look better than it really is. regardless both of those players mentioned shot the ball with much better accuracy than Kobe. its not even close.

Spur_Fanatic
04-26-2012, 04:38 AM
I predict he will get hurt around the 4Q, with his team up by 25, and him still in the floor...

Bynumite
04-26-2012, 06:10 AM
^Warrior :cry

rayjayjohnson
04-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Kobe, unjustly winning the scoring title, like he unjustly got away with rape.

LobCity
04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=namlook;5825029]http://members.fortunecity.com/stefnba/robinson/71sco.htm

David Robinson on scoring 71 the last game of the season to win a scoring title:
" Generally, I don't get wrapped up in individual accomplishments. Most times, my primary focus is on the team. I just try to win games and not worry about personal goals. I don't like getting too much hype. One time, however, there was an opportunity to win the NBA scoring title, and I capitalized on it..."

"Our game was meaningless for both clubs. We were in the playoffs, and the Clippers were not. Its only significance was its affect on the scoring race."

"...I rank that as the most memorable game of my career." :lmao

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have no idea what you're talking about. I still remember that game to this day.

"Everybody wanted him to get it and everybody was mad he was passing some shots up," Lucas said. "David deserves it. Sometimes I have to push David to become selfish."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19940426&id=zoljAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BnoNAAAAIBAJ&pg=2873,6002744

The game was meaningless and John Lucas being the rah-rah guy he was made a big deal of it. Basically, he made the game all about David and David went along with it. The whole game all the Spurs did was throw it to David. Most of them wouldn't even take a shot. His teammates wanted him to win it for the whole team. Most of Kobe's teammates would probably spit in his burger if they had the chance.

And yeah, I'm sure it was the most memorable game for David. Most people remember when they score 70+ in a game.

And footnote on your Kevin Durant story, OKC actually lost in a game that went down to the wire. They were trying to win the game. In contrast to Kobe, Durant wouldn't have been about there trying to chuck 40 shots up while the rest of the starters are resting.

:lol Nobody's as selfish as the Black Mama but keep trying.

ambchang
04-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Nothing wrong with this. A player should play with a certain level of pride, and winning the scoring title is proof that a certain player is the best scorer in the that single season against some very stiff competition.

And we all know Kobe is the coach, he couldn't get the GM spot a few years back, so Cupcakes gave him the assistant coaching job for all he did for the Lakers. Afterall, Kobe makes a great compliment to any real leader.

manufan10
04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
So, this is really going to happen tonight:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgs-BUtGhyfT63K90FkC5OdUpuarHuUiCDGJ142mfaHlChqcgOpymU G-mP

I can't wait. :lol

LobCity
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
13-38 for 39 points and ESPN runs a 2 hour special for the chuckster

This will be Kobe's :lobt:

Venti Quattro
04-26-2012, 08:56 AM
:lol Lob City
:lol division champs
:lol losing home court advantage

LobCity
04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
:lol Lob City
:lol division champs
:lol losing home court advantage

And just where do you think you're going?

:lol out in the second round if you're lucky
:lol chuckster going for the scoring title because he has nothing else
:lol 3 all-stars and team still sucks
:lol kulby's contract killing the franchise for years to come
:lol hiring potato head as a legit coach
:lol superstar center with kindergarten capacity
:lol can't win a championship because you couldn't steal CP3 or D12
:lol lakers fuckn suck

Venti Quattro
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
:lol LA's JV team forever
:lol bunch of flopping faggots
:lol thinking they're suddenly LA's team
:lol monkeyball
:lol booed at the dodgers game

Ace
04-26-2012, 09:09 AM
I've never seen a man defend another man's honor as much as Namlook does for Kobe. I willing to bet he flaps to video of Kobe's 81pt game religiously....

Dr Cox
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
He wouldnt have to "bench" anyone. He will get the ball every possession that he wants the ball.

I think he gets it tonight...if he for sure plays that is.

LobCity
04-26-2012, 09:14 AM
:lol LA's JV team forever
:lol bunch of flopping faggots
:lol thinking they're suddenly LA's team
:lol monkeyball
:lol booed at the dodgers game

:lol so bad HIV jumping off bandwagon
:lol kulby still thinks he's a superstar
:lol team better without kobe
:lol no future and no present
:lol championship hopes after B-30 game
:lol pretending Sessions is the answer
:lol the myth of Kulby's clutchness getting exposed
:lol kulby needs another prime superstar to carry him again

Sh2ZT1aPBoE

Leetonidas
04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
And just where do you think you're going?

:lol out in the second round if you're lucky
:lol chuckster going for the scoring title because he has nothing else
:lol 3 all-stars and team still sucks
:lol kulby's contract killing the franchise for years to come
:lol hiring potato head as a legit coach
:lol superstar center with kindergarten capacity
:lol can't win a championship because you couldn't steal CP3 or D12
:lol lakers fuckn suck

We have a Clips fan here?? :lmao

I wouldn't be talking down on big brother like that homie, especially since the Clippers have been irrelevant their entire existence. :lmao Not to mention they are the ones who will be lucky to get out of the first round :lol

They would be a likeable team if not for Fake Griffin and Chris Fall flopping all over the place. Not to mention that ball squeezer

LobCity
04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
We have a Clips fan here?? :lmao

I wouldn't be talking down on big brother like that homie, especially since the Clippers have been irrelevant their entire existence. :lmao Not to mention they are the ones who will be lucky to get out of the first round :lol

They would be a likeable team if not for Fake Griffin and Chris Fall flopping all over the place. Not to mention that ball squeezer

:lol Spurs would light the ATT center on fire to get Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, homie.

Fabbs
04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Would be nice to see the Kings triple team Kome and deny his chance to pass Durant.

Temper tantrum thrown by 2nd quarter. Storms off court by 3rd.

hater
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
LOL lakerfans butthurt

Leetonidas
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
:lol Spurs would light the ATT center on fire to get Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, homie.

Matt Bonner has more rings that those two floppers combined bro, I think you got it wrong :lol

jmill
04-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Kobe just owned this thread pretty hard.

"Kobe Bryant will sit out the Los Angeles Lakers' regular-season finale on Thursday against the Sacramento Kings and concede the chance to catch Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant for the NBA scoring title."

"The scoring title is not that important. We know I can do it. We know I can go out and score 38 points. The most important thing is sending the right message to the group, which is putting a championship above all else. That means rest. That means letting other guys play. That means us getting ready for Sunday [for the playoff opener]."

Lakers coach Mike Brown said it was a simple decision to sit Bryant, but the two did have a brief conversation about it at shootaround.

"Just now I asked him, 'How old would you have been for you to want to play in this game?' and he said he wouldn't have," Brown said. "He said he was [27] and playing against Dallas and he had 62 [points] and Dallas had 61 after three quarters and he said Phil [Jackson] asked him if he wanted to come back in and he told Phil, 'No.' So, I guess contrary to what everybody probably, possibly thinks about him in that [capacity], that's not what he's all about even though he could go out and get 40 tonight. ... He's capable of getting 40 any given night."

namlook
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
"Everybody wanted him to get it and everybody was mad he was passing some shots up," Lucas said.

The man took 41 shots and 25 free throws which is probably something like 50 shots he attempted. How the fuck could you be passing up shots when you are taking FIFTY???!!

The game was a farce. The whole game was based on artificially feeding David the ball for the sole purpose of having an undeserved scoring title. You don't deserve it if all your team is feeding you only so you can rack up points.

And to call a farce like that the most memorable game of his career? That's just sad.

And footnote on your Kevin Durant story, OKC actually lost in a game that went down to the wire. They were trying to win the game.

Yeah right. You think anyone actually believes this bullshit. The game was meaningless for OKC. There would be no reason to play Durant 40 minutes (above his season average even) in a meaningless game when his coach said before the game the plan was to limit his minutes. He played 40 minutes to get a scoring title.

21_Dickings
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I've never seen a man defend another man's honor as much as Namlook does for Kobe. I willing to bet he flaps to video of Kobe's 81pt game religiously....

Yes he does, as do I. In fact, he's due over here at 8 PM so we can mutually masturbate each other while watching the greatest performance in NBA history.