PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Suns - Apr. 25

timvp
04-26-2012, 02:53 AM
The storybook regular season continues for the Spurs. With Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Gary Neal and Gregg Popovich back in San Antonio, the Spurs went into Phoenix and defeated the Suns by a final score of 110-106. Powered by the deep reserves, the silver and black extended their winning streak to nine games and they're now one victory away from another 50-win campaign.

This team is so deep and playing with so much cohesion that it's difficult to be too surprised. I'm thrilled by the win -- even if it only amounts to a confidence boost -- but not surprised. This entire squad is in a zone right now. Let us pray it continues into the postseason.

Things weren't looking too hot in the fourth quarter. A Michael Redd jumper put the Suns up by six points with 5:22 remaining. But Patrick Mills responded with a three-pointer to spark a 13-0 run in the span of two minutes. The Suns made another charge but the Spurs got a couple stops and hit their free throws down the stretch to seal the W.

How could a Spurs fan not love this team right now?

http://dailyelements.com/apr25box1.jpg

http://dailyelements.com/apr25box2.jpg

Patrick Mills B+
The performance by Patrick Mills wasn't always pretty to watch. Truthfully, it was downright brutal too watch at times -- especially early on. He was shooting whenever he had an inch of daylight and when he looked to pass, the results were rarely positive. In the first half, he was only 3-for-12 from the field and his playmaking was virtually non-existent. But to Mills' credit, he kept plugging away and put together a very good final two quarters. He scored 18 points in the second half on 11 shots while adding three assists. Due to the absence of the Big 3, the Spurs needed Mills to be aggressive. He did just that and didn't blink when the times got tough and due to that determination, he was able to put together a second half scoring binge that was vital to the win. Defensively, I thought Mills was solid the whole game. He really pressured Steve Nash and didn't let him have anything easy. Against Sebastian Telfair, Mills wasn't quite as sharp but he was still a plus because of his relentless pressure.

Tiago Splitter A+
The MVP of the game was undoubtedly Tiago Splitter. Off the bench, Splitter's ungodly efficiency was the main reason why the Spurs had a successful night on the offensive end. While his points came at the rim, he did it in a variety of ways including isolations, post-ups, pick-and-rolls, offensive rebounds and on the fast break. Defensively, while his rebounding was subpar and his individual defense was average at best, his help defense was fantastic and his hustle was commendable. Like Mills, Splitter struggled a bit early on -- particularly with the physicality of Robin Lopez -- but he progressively improved until he was an unstoppable force for much of the second half.

DeJuan Blair C+
It was an odd evening for DeJuan Blair. Offensively, Blair didn't have much success when he went strong to the basket ... yet he fared well when he tossed up soft floaters. His passing was also a plus. Defensively, he was really bad in all phases; he couldn't stop his own man and offered little to no help in the lane. And though he rebounded better than usual, Blair also picked up a majority of his fouls while trying to clean up the glass.

Boris Diaw B
The bad: Boris Diaw didn't step up at all in the scoring department even though the Spurs desperately needed players to take on a bigger role tonight. Instead, he routinely passed up open shots. He had a couple nice forays to the hoop ... only to dish it off at the last second. To make his passiveness even worse, a number of his passes ended up deflected or off target. The good: When Diaw's passes arrived at their intended destination, the result was usually an assist. Defensively, he was very solid around the basket and deftly played out on the perimeter when necessary. Diaw's rebounding was also a strength on this night.

Kawhi Leonard B+
The day off did Kawhi Leonard's legs some good. His explosion, quickness and speed were all back. Defensively, he once again did great work on Jared Dudley. Leonard is the main reason why Dudley had only 16 total points in his last three games against the Spurs. When he wasn't shutting down Phoenix's small forward, Leonard was playing the passing lanes, pulling down boards or otherwise wreaking havoc. Offensively, the rookie showed a lot of aggression -- with most of it ending up in positive plays. Leonard's pull-up jumpers off the dribble are becoming increasingly more effective, which is resulting in a much more well-rounded repertoire. For such a young player who didn't have a summer league or training camp, it's amazing how much in-season progress he's made over the last few months.

Danny Green B
On offense, Danny Green was a positive. Not only was he knocking down stand-still jumpers, he was also creating off the dribble and in pick-and-roll sets. The results were mixed but Green's ability to be a multi-dimensional asset is the main reason why he'll enter these playoffs as a starter. Against the Suns, Green really sparked the offense early and was arguably the best player on the court in the first quarter. Defensively, I wasn't nearly as impressed. He once again had trouble with Shannon Brown; Green struggled when isolated one-on-one and was even worse when attempting to maneuver around screens.

James Anderson C-
A couple weeks ago, James Anderson looked like he had a future in the NBA. In his last few outings, he's looked really bad. Tonight he was pretty bad ... but thankfully there were a few bright spots. Anderson was really good on the boards and his tenacity on defense came in handy. The rest of his night, though, was forgettable. Anderson is impotent on the offensive end no matter if he's taking an open shot or trying to create in an isolation. His instincts and feel for the game are somehow getting worse the longer he's in the NBA. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with him but now it looks like the Spurs made the right move by not picking up his option for next season.

Cory Joseph A-
Back from the D-League where he helped the Toros reach the Finals, Cory Joseph looked much improved. And while that isn't much of an accomplishment since he looked so bad earlier in the season, I don't think the Spurs win the game tonight without his contributions. On defense, Joseph illustrated some versatility by being able to defend both point guards and swingmen. His attentiveness on that end was extremely good for a rookie and he was able to come up with a few key plays down the stretch. Offensively, while it was still mostly a struggle, his ballhandling was better, he got the team into their sets faster and he knocked down a momentous three-pointer in the fourth quarter. Joseph still has a long, long way to go but at least we saw a few glimmers of hope tonight.

Stephen Jackson A
I was pleasantly surprised with how Stephen Jackson attacked tonight's affair. Instead of trying to carry the load, he simply continued to play his role and let the game come to him. Offensively, his passing was fantastic. When on the move, he repeatedly made the right decision at the exact right time. Jackson also was a calming influence who made sure the hot hand was getting fed when some of the youngsters began to get frazzled. Scoring-wise, he took smart shots and always had an eye out for an opening into the paint. Defensively, he was physical when it was needed but he also moved his feet well out on the perimeter against the smaller, quicker Suns guards. Additionally, Jackson boxed out and rebounded really well. While he did most of his work outside of the spotlight, the Born Again Spur was an essential part of the victory.

Matt Bonner B-
Defensively, I thought this was one of Matt Bonner's better games of the season. He was willing and able to go out on the perimeter to thwart pick-and-roll plays. He banged down low. He boxed out with authority. Bonner basically did all he can do on that end. Offense, though, wasn't as kind to the native of the Granite State. Bonner hit a three and had a few good passes along the perimeter but his lack of production continues to be worrisome. Earlier in the season, he was demonstrative about seeking out shots and was playing like an assassin. In recent weeks, he's been content to remain sedentary and blend into the background.

Bud A
For years I've though that Mike Budenholzer should be Pop's heir apparent. After tonight, I'm even more sold on his ability to be a very good head coach. His playcalling out of timeouts was creative and, more importantly, effective. He managed the rotations well. Bud experimented with different combinations throughout the game (such as playing Mills and Joseph together) and stuck with combos that were working. Sure, this game didn't mean anything, but I thought he played the cards he was dealt to near perfection.

T Park
04-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Either Bud knows hes taking over, or hes happy where he is, cause its a mystery why no team with an opening has given him a shot.

Spursfanfromafar
04-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Derrick Byars is Timvp's new Danny Green.. No love.. :)

Thanks for the grades, though!

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2012, 03:07 AM
1st win ever when playing without the big 3 right?

Happy for Bud.

Legacy
04-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Absolutely no complaints or nit-picking coming from this true Spurs fan right here. Thanks again, timvp. :D

Aztecfan03
04-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Derrick Byars is Timvp's new Danny Green.. No love.. :)

Thanks for the grades, though!

only 4 mins. he hasn't given people grades a bunch in these situations.

TE
04-26-2012, 03:18 AM
Good grades as always.

Spursfanfromafar
04-26-2012, 03:23 AM
only 4 mins. he hasn't given people grades a bunch in these situations.

I know. was kidding..

Fireball
04-26-2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the grades ... great win ... enjoyed watching Tiago Splitter dominating in the post on offense

100%duncan
04-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Great grades,LJ. The team showed a lot of heart without their top 4 options and head coach.

TheSkeptic
04-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the grades ... great win ... enjoyed watching Tiago Splitter dominating in the post on offense

The crowd is what really made it for me. :D

Thanks as always Timvp. :toast

wildbill2u
04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Good Lord the depth on this team is scary. However, I'd like to see the Big 3 play at least 10 min. in the last game, just to keep their game sharp.

mudyez
04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
tim rests, tony rests, manu rests, pop rests...somehow it feels wrong timvp doesnt get to take a day off ;)

thanks timvp!

Obstructed_View
04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
James Anderson proved why plus/minus is the most meaningless stat in basketball.

smaka
04-26-2012, 08:01 AM
I will watch the game later, but can anyone tell me, has Cory Joseph improved a lot? Do you see him in Spurs rotation next year?

Obstructed_View
04-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Call Matt Bonner snow, because he's all but disappeared by May.

bigfan
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
I just think its nice but sorta funny Stephen Jackson is our mature calming force on the Spurs! On any other team they would be paranoid of the guy but as a Spur it just seems like he has quickly become one of our field generals. I hope he sticks around a few seasons.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I will watch the game later, but can anyone tell me, has Cory Joseph improved a lot? Do you see him in Spurs rotation next year?

I thought Joseph looked promising, but I never thought he as as completely terrible as many around here. Whether he just stepped up because there weren't as many guys to defer to or whether he's starting to figure things out remains to be seen.

BTW, Deron Williams saw Cory Joseph effortlessly pull off his look and was like "damn".

siraulo23
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Kawhi Leonard B+ Leonard's pull-up jumpers off the dribble are becoming increasingly more effective, which is resulting in a much more well-rounded repertoire.

loving his pull-up j

coyotes_geek
04-26-2012, 08:23 AM

CJ's improved, but as far as making it into the rotation next year there's the question of what player currently in the rotation is he going to beat out?

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
CJ's improved, but as far as making it into the rotation next year there's the question of what player currently in the rotation is he going to beat out?

Mills, when he gets paid elsewhere in the summer.

silverblackfan
04-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Great grades as usual, timvp. Only one more game to go and you carried the entire season with grades. Pretty damn impressive to keep up with the ratings. Thanks a bunch.

CJ looks a lot better out there and you can see he is getting more comfortable. That said, he will benefit from a summer of working on his skills and needs a good training camp to get some time next year.
Damn. Mills like to shoot. Thank goodness he starting hitting his shots.

Jackson the calming influence. 'Nuff said.

Taigo was very impressive and shows that there is hope even after this season.

All in all, one hell of a performance and nice to see Pop, Tim, Tony, and Manu not even in the building. Especially with ESPN talking all night about Nash's potential last game. Nevermind that the Suns starters were getting beat by our bench...

Dr Cox
04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
The Spurs scored 110 points w/o the big 3 & pop tonight...very solid!

STEAK SAUCE!

coyotes_geek
04-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Mills, when he gets paid elsewhere in the summer.

I'm thinking Neal is the obstacle that CJ needs to get past to get into the rotation. With Manu, Leonard and Green (assuming Green doesn't get paid elsewhere) eating up all the SG/SF minutes, CJ needs to outplay Neal otherwise Pop will continue to give Neal minutes at PG just to get him on the court.

But, who knows? If the Spurs are going to steamroll teams next year like they are this year, then maybe the 3rd PG position is one that will get regular minutes.

silverblk mystix
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I was watching a show last night called, "Steve Nash-this is your life"...

and then a Spurs/Suns game broke out....

Darius Bieber
04-26-2012, 09:14 AM
James Anderson +13

All hail the new King. :king

Legacy
04-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I especially loved how they just completely drowned out that Phoenix crowd with the night being all about Nash and all. I could barely hear the announcers, the crowd was so insanely hysterical... but they kept it up and just remained completely unphased by everything that was going on around them. Of course, I'm sure they were a little intimidated... but HAWT DAMN!! They sure as HELL acted otherwise. Sssoooo fucken' proud of them! All of them.

:worthy:

:flag:

bklynspursfan
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Nice writeup.

I think it's really a blessing to have so many gifted players. You look when Boston played Miami and those teams rested their stars and the score was like 78-68. Our guys can come off the bench and provide a huge spark. Impressive stuff tbh.

Mugen
04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Can't wait for the the "Tiago Splitter - Doin' Work" documentary

sananspursfan21
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Call Matt Bonner snow, because he's all but disappeared by May.

Ooooh sniiaap son!

dbestpro
04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
CJ went from bad to okay. He was not great and still does not look like he could roll effectively in the NBA on a nightly basis. There are a bajillion PGs out there who honestly could do better. He is young and needs a full season with the Toros to see where he is. He should not be a rotational player next year.

Seventyniner
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
1st win ever when playing without the big 3 right?

Happy for Bud.

This just exemplifies the team's depth. When I heard that the big 3 and Pop went back to SA, I thought "eh, the Spurs got this." How many other teams could pull off a road win against a decent team in that situation?

hater
04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
IMO coach told Crabby Patty to play TP role. The role TP usually plays when Manu + TD are out.

He did a pretty good job

Manufan909
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
The crowd is what really made it for me. :D

Thanks as always Timvp. :toast

How so, were they booing Tiago?

TheSkeptic
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
How so, were they booing Tiago?

Towards the end.

I'll have to rewatch it again but if I'm recalling correctly it was a progressive thing. :lol

Note: Just took another look at it. Hmm...Not quite as clear as I remembered it. They were silent more than anything else most of the way but definitely booing more loudly at that last shooting foul. I think that particular sequence caught my attention when I heard it because overall I thought last night's crowd was more focused on Nash than the game. Not nearly as engaged as Dallas was imo.

As an aside, I think I'll cry when Tim/Manu play their last games.

loveforthegame
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I was happy to see that Joseph had improved some. Sure he has a ways to go but any improvement is welcome at this point. Will be interesting to see where he's at after a summer league and full training camp.

Proud of the end of bench guys carrying the team to a win. It wasn't always pretty but they're scrappy and fight. Big bonus that no one logged heavy minutes and avoided injuries.

Such a small sample but I thought Byars looked decent out there for his first game. Certainly showed more than Anderson has recently. Hopefully he gets more minutes tonight in GS.

dylankerouac
04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the scores, didn't catch the game.

Bruno
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised by how little Suns try to win this game. They were at home and it looks a lot like it was Nash last game as a Sun. It's quite disturbing to see Suns not caring to give Nash a better ending.

jjktkk
04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the writeup Tim.

GSH
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Tiago Splitter
Splitter struggled a bit early on -- particularly with the physicality of Robin Lopez -- but he progressively improved until he was an unstoppable force for much of the second half.

James Anderson
I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with him but now it looks like the Spurs made the right move by not picking up his option for next season.

Patrick Mills
The performance by Patrick Mills wasn't always pretty to watch. Truthfully, it was downright brutal too watch at times -- especially early on. He was shooting whenever he had an inch of daylight and when he looked to pass, the results were rarely positive.

Bud
Sure, this game didn't mean anything, but I thought he played the cards he was dealt to near perfection.

I can't help but wonder just how good Tiago really could be, if given the opportunity. I was a little disappointed at the way he seemed to get out-muscled by Lopez at times, but I also had to remind myself that he still isn't getting the veteran's respect from the zebras, and we were very short-handed. That may have just been smart play on his part. But 26 points in just under 20 minutes? Are you kidding? He's always pretty damned efficient, but that was an amazing performance.

For his own sake, I hope that James Anderson's problem is attitude and disappointment. He's pretty obviously done with the Spurs, and he likely will be heading to Europe to get playing time next year. But I hope that injury didn't totally kill his career.

Patty Mills is scary. He can obviously score. But there's a difference between being fearless about putting up the next shot after a miss, and just being a chucker. It's getting harder and harder to think of him as anything but a chucker. You mentioned that "when he looked to pass, the results were rarely positive". I'm not sure he ever really looked to pass. He looked to shoot a lot, and was forced to pass at times. But it looked a lot more like an afterthought, or at best a necessary evil for him. That game damn nearly went to OT, largely because he wasted way too many possessions.

I have to disagree a little bit about Budenholzer. We were talking about this during the game. I think he should have had some players on the sidelines, chewing their asses. The Spurs offense looked great early, as long as they were sharing the ball, and moving without the ball. But then it totally disintegrated into one pass, and some 1-on-1 chucking. I know that the game technically had no meaning, but I would have preferred to see Coach Bud send the message that no loss is acceptable. Maybe the article on NBA.dotcom about Red Auerbach was fresh on my mind, but I really didn't like seeing the team playing that lazy and sloppy. Just my opinion, but I think he should have treated it just like a playoff game, with the starters in place.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I was watching a show last night called, "Steve Nash-this is your life"...

and then a Spurs/Suns game broke out....

My wife and I thought it was appropriate that he came into the game in the fourth quarter, turned the ball over, ineptly tried to foul and gave up a fast break dunk to put the game away.

GSH
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
My wife and I thought it was appropriate that he came into the game in the fourth quarter, turned the ball over, ineptly tried to foul and gave up a fast break dunk to put the game away.

:D

If those were his last acts as a Phoenix Sun, I won't shed any tears.

I just hope he's not in Miami next season.

Spursfanfromafar
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised by how little Suns try to win this game. They were at home and it looks a lot like it was Nash last game as a Sun. It's quite disturbing to see Suns not caring to give Nash a better ending.

I think they were too deflated by the fact that they couldn't make the playoffs by defeating the Jazz just a day earlier. Nash more or less said that aloud when asked about his possible retirement. It must have been tough to come so close, but find that there is many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-27-2012, 02:03 AM
This just exemplifies the team's depth. When I heard that the big 3 and Pop went back to SA, I thought "eh, the Spurs got this." How many other teams could pull off a road win against a decent team in that situation?

Well the Heat certainly couldn't do so last night, losing by 30+ to the Wiz :lol