PDA

View Full Version : Rockets' players say re-signing Dragic should be #1 Priority

djohn2oo8
04-26-2012, 07:55 AM
As the Rockets assessed the damage of a wrecked playoff goal that renders tonight’s season finale meaningless, they hoped they would at least learn from the painful lessons.

The problem with that desire is that they might not be together long enough to put those lessons to use.

With the potential for widespread changes clear, Rockets players followed Wednesday’s final practice of the season by suggesting better times are ahead — if they can stay together and particularly if free-agent point guard Goran Dragic is re-signed.

“I like the guys we have on this team,” said center Marcus Camby, who will also be a free agent. “I like our nucleus. I think it’s important for us to bring Gogi back. He’s a big part of what we’re doing around here.”

Asked again whether the Rockets should stay the course, Camby again made a case for Dragic.

“I’ve been around long enough to understand the business aspect, but I like the pieces we have,” Camby said. “Bringing back Dragic is key.”

Said Luis Scola: “We need him back. He’s very important, I believe.”

Keeping Dragic won’t be easy. He said he considers the Rockets at the top of his list of teams, but he also wants to be a starter. He took over the starting position only when Kyle Lowry went out with a bacterial infection, making both guards’ roles next season, if they’re still with the Rockets, uncertain.

“Of course I want to be a starter,” Dragic said. “That was my goal. I was working hard for that. I’m going to go home, take a break a little bit, talk to my family, with my agent, and bring a decision what is going to be best for me. Of course, one reason is to play a lot of minutes to develop my game even more.

“I was working for that moment … for four years in the NBA, trying to establish my name here in the league and someday to be a starter, to lead the team. I’m really happy what happened. It’s still my goal. Houston Rockets a great organization, great people, great city.”

Told of Camby’s comments, Dragic said he appreciated the endorsement, as he did when the Rockets rallied around him when Lowry was hospitalized March 8 with a bacterial infection.

“That means a lot,” Dragic said. “Especially when Kyle went down, I was surprised that all teammates, they come together, they give me that role where I can be a leader. Marcus has been in the league 16 years. When that player says something like that, it means a lot to me. Hopefully in the future, we’re going to be together.”

Despite the late-season swoon, the Rockets’ other free agents — Camby and Courtney Lee — felt the same way.

Coach Kevin McHale said improvement must come “from within,” whether there are roster changes or not.

“You always have to add talent,” McHale said. “That’s the way this league is. Then you have to develop the guys you have. You develop from within and hopefully add pieces that mesh. The bottom line is we’ve got to get better. Our goal was to make the playoffs. We didn’t do that.”

To Lee, the Rockets’ late-season fade, with losses in seven of eight games heading into Thursday’s finale against the Hornets, was painful. But it’s his hope this season’s team will be together to make amends next season.

“Hopefully, that will never happen again,” Lee said. “If I’m here next year or the team is the same next year, we can just pick up the pieces and know how that felt to not make the playoffs when we were so close.”

Bye Lowry.

Mal
04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
They should try to pack him with pick and/or prospects and try to trade for Tyrekee Evans. Sacto could use a point guard, and since Evans is on trading block.

SpursIndonesia
04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Kevin Martin sucks in Houston, but he's a proven scorer at SG, and that exactly what Minnesota needs. Houston should bet some gamble, sending Martin for Darko Milicic (The Wolves can absorb the salary differential), perhaps with Dragic feeding him, he can turn his career around.

Dragic, Evans, Parsons, Scola, Milicic, not bad IF Big Darko can function as a useful player. Big if indeed.

djohn2oo8
04-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Kevin Martin sucks in Houston, but he's a proven scorer at SG, and that exactly what Minnesota needs. Houston should bet some gamble, sending Martin for Darko Milicic (The Wolves can absorb the salary differential), perhaps with Dragic feeding him, he can turn his career around.

Dragic, Evans, Parsons, Scola, Milicic, not bad IF Big Darko can function as a useful player. Big if indeed.
I'd rather have Nikola Pekovic come back in that trade.

slick'81
04-26-2012, 03:22 PM
no way they can give dragic the nod over a 100% healthy lowry damn somethings gotta give.Blazers r rumored to be in love with goran

benefactor
04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Lowry has and attractive contract and should be easy to move. The last year only has a million guaranteed.

rayjayjohnson
04-26-2012, 03:35 PM
#1 priority for continuing to just miss the post season

z0sa
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Lowry or Dragic is a tough decision indeed. Will need to do a lot more research before I can definitely pick one. The main thing going for Dragic IMO is his proven playoff abilities. He singlehandedly sunk the Spurs a couple years ago during The Skunker and that's how careers are made: destroying a team in the national spotlight.

djohn2oo8
04-26-2012, 03:39 PM
no way they can give dragic the nod over a 100% healthy lowry damn somethings gotta give.Blazers r rumored to be in love with goran

Lowry is supposedly known to be a problem within the locker room. Whenever he gets fouled hard and doesn't get the call, he whines to the ref every time and never gets back on D. Dragic competes all the time and is the better passer. Lowry was also pouting that he didn't start when he came back from injury.

rayjayjohnson
04-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Nate Robinson did that once during the C's last finals run. He's still an irrelevant scrub.

smaka
04-26-2012, 04:33 PM
My prediction:

Rockets will resign Dragic to 3-year deal with 4th year player or team option. In the summer, they will trade Lowry (maybe Martin too) for SG or for some bigs.

baseline bum
04-26-2012, 04:38 PM
LOL 9-seed threepeat.

Fenix
04-26-2012, 04:43 PM
trade lowry to jazz for kanter+miles

Kanter
Scola
Parsons
Lee
Dragic

with 2 lottery picks and cap space

Spurs da champs
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Lowry sucks & he's fat, fag PG's don't last.

SpursIndonesia
04-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Regarding Tyreke Evans, i'm not sure he would be a great compliment for Dragic lead Rockets. Fantastic talent no doubt, but he needs ball in his hand to be effective & productive. Is there any young talent out there who has Ray Allen like talent & capability at SG spot ? I think that would be a perfect back cour mate for Dragic.

Drachen
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Lowry sucks & he's fat, fag PG's don't last.

http://www.lardbutt.com/files/images/Fat_lever_dribble.jpg

Hi

Latarian Milton
04-27-2012, 05:06 AM
resigning dragic & selling lowry when his value is high, ain't a bad idea imho. funny thing is the 7'6 shit been gone like 3yrs now and their fans still dumb as FUCK. sook & djohn are the only rox fans i know who ever made decent posts on this board and that nigga sook hasn't posted here in like a year :cry

although most of them are still dumb as bricks they're speaking some truth now which is a huge fucking improvement over the 7'6 shit epoch tbh

100%duncan
04-27-2012, 06:23 AM
When Lowry was healthy I picked him over Goran but damn Goran's ballin and it's hard to choose between these 2.