PDA

View Full Version : Spurs can be top scoring team tonight

Jimcs50
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
They need to outscore Denver by 9 points tonight to become not only leagues top FG% team but top scoring team. The Spurs can maybe finally shed their "boring" tag, by once again finishing first over Denver. This is reminiscent of the days when those two teams used to finish 1-2 in scoring race practically every year in the days of Ice and Alex English.

Who would have ever thought that a Pop coached team could ever sniff a scoring title for a team? :p:

Dr Cox
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
they got this against the Golden State High Warriors tonight...Jv squad.

Leetonidas
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
They won't shed their boring tag because like their suffocating defense of yesteryear, their offense, while extremely potent, is not very flashy and often results in easy layups and three pointers, which are not that exciting to the average fan imo. The difference between the Suns from the last decade is the Spurs play pretty much perfect team ball while the Suns relied on Nash to throw slick passes and lobs for dunks to Amare/Marion all game long.

I've said before this team reminds me of a bizzaro version of the 2004 Pistons (legendary defense and average offense vs. legendary offense and average defense). No real egos, no big names, not a lot of hype, but they go out there and take care of business and are consistently destroying teams without breaking a sweat.

Team ball is fun to watch but it will never be considered "entertaining" to the common fan

Jimcs50
04-26-2012, 11:11 AM
They won't shed their boring tag because like their suffocating defense of yesteryear, their offense, while extremely potent, is not very flashy and often results in easy layups and three pointers, which are not that exciting to the average fan imo. The difference between the Suns from the last decade is the Spurs play pretty much perfect team ball while the Suns relied on Nash to throw slick passes and lobs for dunks to Amare/Marion all game long.

I've said before this team reminds me of a bizzaro version of the 2004 Pistons (legendary defense and average offense vs. legendary offense and average defense). No real egos, no big names, not a lot of hype, but they go out there and take care of business and are consistently destroying teams without breaking a sweat.

Team ball is fun to watch but it will never be considered "entertaining" to the common fan

I beg to differ. The Spurs will shed their boring tag because people will actually be forced to watch them play because they will be showcased this year in WCFs against the Thunder and against the Bulls or Heat, teams that are capable of attracting good viewership. The Spurs do play exciting ball now, the passing is crisp and unselfish, the shooting is great and the running game is top notch.

These are not your daddy's boring Spurs.

Jimcs50
04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I have to admit the Spurs use to put me to sleep especially early on in Duncan's career when the offense revolved around him and the Spurs sucked the life out of teams offenses.

Watching the latest Heats Bulls game made me reminiscent of those days. Yet the clowns at ESPN said that game was the way basketball was meant to be played. That game was so freakin's boring. I only could stand only to watch about 20 minutes.

ESPN Heat Index is nothing but some blowjob fetish ESPN has for the HEAT.

Ironic, when Spurs played great D and the scores were in the 80s and low 90s, the game and style was boring and unwatchable, but now that Miami and Chicago have played three times and averaged a mid 80s score, they are exciting teams who must be watched.
:rolleyes

BlairForceDejuan
04-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Spurs will never shed boring tag. American public is stupid.

Keepin' it real
04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I beg to differ. The Spurs will shed their boring tag because people will actually be forced to watch them play because they will be showcased this year in WCFs against the Thunder and against the Bulls or Heat, teams that are capable of attracting good viewership. The Spurs do play exciting ball now, the passing is crisp and unselfish, the shooting is great and the running game is top notch.

These are not your daddy's boring Spurs.

You're in for a HUGE disappointment if you think ESPN and basketball fans in general will think of the Spurs as anything but boring. It has nothing to do with offense or defense. It has to do with:

a small market team
with a surly, stand-offish head coach
and a superstar (#21) who makes few, if any, "highlight-worthy" plays according to the standards of ESPN and shallow basketball fans
and a team of players who seem content to avoid the limelight.

I never found the Spurs boring. Quite the opposite, I've almost always found them to be very entertaining. I'll admit a few games of the 2003 Finals against the Nets were boring, but I attribute that to the Nets, not the Spurs.

Oh, and America won't be "forced to watch." They'll simply change the channel as they've done in the past; hence, the "low ratings" criticism.

Russ
04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
The Spurs can maybe finally shed their "boring" tag, by once again finishing first over Denver.

But isn't Denver boring, too?

Jimcs50
04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
But isn't Denver boring, too?

I do not think winning is boring. There is nothing more boring than watching a losing team play. The Spurs are the second most winningest team in NBA history behind the Lakers, so I've never been bored watching them.

I have to admit that the late 70s and early 80s were more exciting than the early 2000s teams, just because of the scoring was routinely in the 120s, and you could not close your eyes for a second because you would miss a basket being made.

This years team reminds me of the days of Ice, Mr K, and Capt Late in they way that they can score on anyone and in bunches.

smaka
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Imho watching great team basketball with a lot of good passes, 3 point shots and dribblings is much more fun to watch/entertaining than watching team which only plays with 2 or 3 players, who are the only players to have a role in offense. I mean, how don't people in "lob city" get tired of alley oops from CP3 to Blake, and "ohmygod" dunks from Blake, who is extremely overrated?

If you ask me, basketball is team sport and Spurs are definition of that, however they are not definition for boring basketball.

maverick1948
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Last nights game against the Suns would be called boring. Our 2nd unit defeated a playoff wannabee. I dont know what other people think is boring but to me when you team does things the right way and wins, that is not boring.

jestersmash
04-26-2012, 05:54 PM
ESPN's only hope at this point is for Ginobili to throw a couple of his wacky and often times risky passes during the course of the game (behind the back, between the legs, bullet passes through the defense, his little give and go with Tony, etc.).

The shrewdness of some of Ginobili's passes is pretty much the only facet of the Spurs offense that can be construed as entertaining. Beyond that, I pretty much agree with Leetonidas.

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Spurs better put up 140 then :smokin

lmbebo
04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
spurs currently leading league in FG and 3 pt %.

Uriel
04-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Spurs better put up 140 then :smokin

Damn. :lol

honestfool84
04-26-2012, 11:30 PM
no way the Spurs score 140. :lol

no way they put up 56 in the 4th quarter. haha.

Spurtacus
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Denver really, really wanted it apparently.

50 cent
04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Double OT!