PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Warriors - Apr. 26

timvp
04-27-2012, 01:33 AM
San Antonio's wildly successful regular season has come to an end. With a 107-101 victory over a tanking Warriors squad, the Spurs finished 50-16 -- a winning percentage that translates to 62 wins over the course of a normal 82-game season.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone associated with the Spurs for a highly enjoyable season. Sure, the year will be made or broken in the playoffs, but the effort, smarts and dedication needed to have the success they did in this condensed season is worthy of praise. Thanks, the 66 games were a blast.

As for the goings-on tonight, it was a glorified scrimmage. Well, not even that because the Warriors desperately needed to lose the game; a win would have basically ended their hopes of keeping their lottery pick. This non-contested exhibition, I guess I'll call it, was close until Patrick Mills hit back-to-back three-pointers with 5:30 remaining to put the Spurs up by six points.

Now the fun starts. The Spurs begin their postseason quest Sunday at noon against the Jazz. But before we get to that, here are the grades for the last time in the 2011-12 regular season.

http://dailyelements.com/apr26box1.jpg

http://dailyelements.com/apr26box2.jpg

Patrick Mills A
The Spurs needed offense tonight and Patrick Mills was more than ready to step up to the challenge. While the competition was obviously questionable, you can't argue with the numbers Mills was able to post. Scoring-wise, he showed off a silky smooth outside stroke that is deadly when he's standing still. Mills can also hit mid-range shots off the dribble, finish with floaters in the paint and score with creativity at the rim. At this point, I think it's safe to say Mills is a legit scorer on the NBA level. Passing-wise, Mills still has a lot of room to develop but he was much better tonight in that area. He's best at passing on the break or finding stationary shooters when he's penetrating to the hoop. He doesn't have much ability in pick-and-roll sets or passing in the interior but for a 23-year-old, Mills is a solid prospect who has a good chance to make a career as an above average backup on the right team. Defensively against the Warriors, his pressure was again an asset and his toughness allows him to battle players who are much bigger and stronger.

James Anderson C
James Anderson was able to explode for a strong third quarter but was otherwise underwhelming again. In his 31 minutes outside of the third, he was 2-for-11 for five points. Give him credit for the one strong period but he honestly hasn't looked like an NBA quality player in his last handful of outings. Anderson needs to go some place where he will get a lot of minutes so he can work on his confidence and figure out his strengths on the basketball court. Good luck in the future, J.A.

DeJuan Blair B
If DeJuan Blair hadn't figured out he's the team's fifth bigman, he should know after tonight. With the other bigs getting rest, it was up to Blair to finish out the string. Even though he missed a number of easy shots, didn't always give supreme effort on the glass and was simply lackadaisical most of the night, Blair was just too talented not to put up an impressive stat line.

Cory Joseph C+
After looking improved last game, Cory Joseph reverted to his previous form on the offensive end. In fact, the only reason he wasn't more of a disaster was that he was playing shooting guard for vast majority of his minutes. Joseph isn't completely worthless offensively but he just doesn't do anything at an NBA level. He's not much of a shooter, finisher, passer, ball-handler, facilitator ... the list goes on. The best part of Joseph's game is his defense. He has a deceptive amount of size to him and a willingness to stick his nose in. Unfortunately, he looks better defending shooting guards than point guards, which is a problem since he'd have to make it in the NBA as a point guard. Overall, I'm not ready to label Joseph a complete bust but he has a lot of work to do this summer.

Derrick Byars C
The newest Spur got his first (and perhaps last) extended minutes and there wasn't much to get excited about. He has good size for a swingman (6-foot-7, 220 pounds) but his athleticism doesn't wow and his fluidity is average at best. In this game, he lost confidence in his outside shot and thus became a liability on the offensive end. Defensively, he showed a willingness to try to stay in front of his man but the results were mixed.

Boris Diaw B-
It was another mostly quiet evening for Boris Diaw. Offensively, he hit a three-pointer, a two-pointer with his foot on the three-point line, passed great and turned the ball over a bit too much. The game would have been easier if Diaw would have stepped into a bigger role. (I'm starting to sound like Paul Silas.) Defensively, he didn't venture out of the paint much but was a rock down low and was able to negate a lot of Golden State's athleticism with superior positioning.

Matt Bonner C+
I was hoping that Matt Bonner could get his offense going in these last few games -- but it didn't really happen. He knocked down one three-pointer but his form looked more strained than usual (he had even more of a slingshot motion than we're used to seeing). I guess we all just have to hope Bonner can rediscover his stroke in the postseason. Defensively, Bonner was solid (other than when the Spurs ran zone; he had no idea what to do then). He was sturdy in the paint and chased players out on the perimeter when necessary.

Danny Green A-
Danny Green played the opening eight minutes of the game and looked like the best player on the court. Defensively, he was extremely impressive. Not only was he staying with his man, he was hustling to protect the rim whenever possible. Offensively, the North Carolina product knocked down a couple more three-pointers to finish the season at a blistering 43.6%. Green deserves applause for being the only player to play in all 66 games this season.

Tiago Splitter B
In his seven minutes, Tiago Splitter rebounded well, ran the court well and had a few quality defensive possessions. Overall, Splitter's sophomore regular season was very much a success, especially on a per-minute basis.

Bud B+
Can't complain about anything Bud did in his second game in charge. He got the win while also letting the less important players shoulder most of the load. Once again, his plays out of timeouts were impressive. What I liked most is he didn't panic and change the fourth quarter lineup even when things weren't going swimmingly. Winning tonight, while preferred over losing, wasn't anywhere near the top of the to-do list.

crc21209
04-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Patty Mills isnt shy that's for damn sure....:lol

timtonymanu
04-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Good grades. I didn't catch the first half so this was a helpful read.

Also you must have transferred your hate from Green to Diaw now.

ElNono
04-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks LJ!

TwelveGs210
04-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Good post..completely agree with the JA part..

Obstructed_View
04-27-2012, 01:53 AM
And with that performance, nobody will be second-guessing the Spurs' decision not to pick up James Anderson's option.

Solid D
04-27-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks for actually doing grades after this JV game, timvp.

A few thoughts of my own:
Although Byars did a nice job of rebounding the ball (8 reb), his shooting is going to need to improve to get another snif in the big arenas.

The James Anderson experiment is over. Thanks for the time you gave to the community and visiting the schools of SA, James. You're a nice guy. Work on your game.

DeJuan. You just cemented your role as 11th man.

Cory, the Toros may be wondering if they need you now. They won without you tonight.

Just as Patty demonstrated against Portland, he's done a nice job of being "Gary Neal". As we say at SpursTalk, "nice find" Spurs.

Good thing Mark pulled Klay out' da game. It was giving Jackson and team management a nervous twitch with visions of a certain nightmare scenario if they had actually won the game.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-27-2012, 02:00 AM
CoJo reminds me a bit of Avery Bradley's first season. Let's home his sophomore season would be similar to Bradley's too.

Arcadian
The coolest thing of all: Miami rested its three best players and got blown out; the Lakers rested their three best players and got blown out; the Spurs rested their best four players and won. Spurs are favorites to the win the championship going into the playoffs.

Aztecfan03
:lol at the main 5 being Mills, Joseph, Blair, Anderson, and Byars

winning with our third unit and only 48 total minutes from people who should be in our 10-man rotation.

Legacy
04-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Appreciate this write-up, timvp. ... Especially since I fell asleep after the first half. These f'ing late games in Cali have totally screwed up my sleep-cycle BIG time. :sleep :bang

jon123spurs
04-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Just shows how deep we are. Patty mills was just on fire I really think he deserves a + by that A. Bonner stunk up the place I think he deserved a big fat F. Also Byars was horrible I think he deserved a D- he couldn't hit a open shot if his life depended on it. Anyways great season now its on to the REAL season. Go Spurs Go!!

will_spurs
04-27-2012, 02:44 AM
Gary Neal our 4th best player???? :bang

Leonard.

Spursfanfromafar
04-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Leonard.

Stephen Jackson, historically.

siraulo23
04-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks timvp for not missing one "Grades" write-up this season, especially considering the schedule of the lockout season with the b2bs and b2b2bs :lol

66 for 66

Manufan909
04-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Stephen Jackson, historically.

But in the present, hell no. Also, the Spurs rested everyone against a team that absolutely had to tank. This win means shit, tbqh, fwiw, imho.

angelbelow
04-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the grades, only watched the 1st quarter and I don't remember anything lol.

I very happy we got the win and the 50 win season. 13 straight seasons with 50 wins is quite an accomplishment and a great reflection of the Spurs organization.

mudyez
04-27-2012, 03:24 AM
thanks timvp!

I somehow hope we keep Mills, even though this games stats are not worth a lot. (its always great to have a player from down under)

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 03:26 AM
I keep wondering what happened to the JA from before the injury or even training camp and the first few games of the season.

I can't call Splitter's second season a success. The guy obviously has a higher ceiling but Pop has limited him for some reason whether injury concern or whatever.

adonis827
04-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Thanks timvp for not missing one "Grades" write-up this season, especially considering the schedule of the lockout season with the b2bs and b2b2bs :lol

66 for 66

+1

big kudos to timvp!

Mel_13
04-27-2012, 03:56 AM
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone associated with the Spurs for a highly enjoyable season. Sure, the year will be made or broken in the playoffs, but the effort, smarts and dedication needed to have the success they did in this condensed season is worthy of praise. Thanks, the 66 games were a blast.

Sometimes it's best to enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination. With the end of the Duncan era not so very far away, that's how I treated this season. You're right, it's been a blast.

66 for 66

Seconded.

Obstructed_View
04-27-2012, 04:34 AM
I loved Thompson yelling "AND ONE" while posting up when his shot was blocked. That's a first. :lol

Kuestmaster
04-27-2012, 04:53 AM
thanks as always timvp!
will you do season ending grades as well?

Solid D
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Not your normal run of the Mills win.

Spursfanfromafar
04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Not your normal run of the Mills win.

Yeah.. just some Patty gravy.. :)

Seventyniner
04-27-2012, 08:54 AM

66 for 66

Impressive work, timvp! Though it's ironic that you're the Danny Green of game grades. :lol

dbestpro
04-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Blair should be sent to Charlotte where he can play with peers that provide equal effort.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the grades TimVp, I've been reading here for almost 7 years now and there's nothing I look forward to more than comparing my own thoughts with the man I consider to be the most knowledgeable person on the Spurs and basketball in the NBA. So thanks for all of the grades, they gave me one more thing to keep coming back for.

As for the game, I can't say how annoyed I was watching Dejuan blair stay flatfooted most of the time and really just going through the motions the entire game up until the last couple of minutes. If not for looking at the box score I would have guessed his numbers were half of what they were. I can't really see him getting any playing time in the postseason at all, there's just no team I see him doing well against.

Bulwark
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks timvp... come here first for post game reaction. Been reading your grades for a while now.

Das Texan
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Not bad for your 10-15 rotation players last night.

Brazil
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
:tu timvp flawless RS tbh !

I hope you will deliver the goods also during the POs !

DMC
04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree with all the grades.

Sad that Bonner is always graded like a retarded child. "He didn't eat all the crayons this time, so A for him". He's 100% effort with about 25% the ability of the other guys.

I don't really understand Matt's purpose on the team any more. Spreading the floor, sure, if he even took a 3pt shot, but opponents learn quickly in the playoffs that Bonner just needs to think he's being watched and he will defer.

Dex
04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Boris Diaw B-
It was another mostly quiet evening for Boris Diaw. Offensively, he hit a three-pointer, a two-pointer with his foot on the three-point line, passed great and turned the ball over a bit too much. The game would have been easier if Diaw would have stepped into a bigger role. (I'm starting to sound like Paul Silas.) Defensively, he didn't venture out of the paint much but was a rock down low and was able to negate a lot of Golden State's athleticism with superior positioning.

Something worth noting about Diaw:

After starting 0/5 on three-point attempts, Boris has gone 8/8 from beyond the arc to bring his 3pt % in silver & black up to an astonishing 61.5%.

If Diaw is looking to supplant Bonner in the rotation, that's the best way to do it. Especially when you consider his superiority with his dribbling, passing, penetrating, finishing, and defensive skills.

T Park
04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
James Anderson was an unmitigated disaster last night. Just a sad display.

wildbill2u
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna get real tired of watching Blair put up those 'girly-looking' floaters. Even though he makes them, it just looks weird watching that burly guy dancing around the hoop and lofting floaters.

I guess someone told him he wasn't gonna make a lot of regular shots under the basket without getting his short body blocked.

timvp
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Though it's ironic that you're the Danny Green of game grades. :lol

:lol Good call.

Mr. Body
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm gonna get real tired of watching Blair put up those 'girly-looking' floaters. Even though he makes them, it just looks weird watching that burly guy dancing around the hoop and lofting floaters.

I guess someone told him he wasn't gonna make a lot of regular shots under the basket without getting his short body blocked.

If they go in, I'm totally fine with it.

Rummpd
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
And to think a month ago a lot of us were wondering why they would reach out so far for a short point guard?

_jin
04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Boris Diaw B-

1st post here and not trying to look like a smartass, but you guys have to understand that's who Diaw is, it's his 9th season and if he could have changed that he would have done it long ago. Silas never understood that either (and the fact that he kept pointing to that all season long just shows how dumb he is). This can be very frustrating but he's the way he is and you have to accept this or keep getting frustrated with him.

Boris will never be a 1st or even a 2nd option. The only times he flourished offensively, whether with the Suns or the Bobcats, and posted nice offensive numbers, were when he was a 3rd or 4th option. In 09 when he posted his best scoring average, he had the 6th FGA/36min and the 7th usage rate on the 27th offense in the league.

People are not comfortable with this because we are used to players chucking away and shooting everytime they get the ball but not the other way around.

jjktkk
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks Tim.

TampaDude
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Total scrubfest by both teams last night, but hey, 50 wins is 50 wins.

IT'S PLAYOFF TIME!!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

iManu
04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Thank you so much for the grades, LJ. A+

:toast

Dr Cox
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Maybe it is just me but I thought Corey Joseph facilitated pretty well tonight with Mills at the 2.

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I really like Coach Bud. Green said he's more willing to try different things. My guess is if he was coaching Splitter would have gotten more minutes the past two years.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
It's always interesting to watch games like this because you get a much better idea of your bottom 5 players. Here's my takes:

Anderson: wow did he stink it up. Couldn't make a shot, didn't defend, didn't rebound, didn't really seem like he was paying attention on offense, stopped the ball. He obviously has talent but doesn't seem to have the drive to raise his game to any higher level.

Byers: >Anderson. Has potential. Has size. I'd give him a good look next year for 12th man.

Blair: how can you mail it in and still be exhausted in the 4th. Frakin slacker. Wasting all that talent. Get in shape and play hard you jackass. Guess what you've just been demoted to 5th big man. Look for Duncan/Diaw starting and Splitter/Bonner 2nd unit.

Mills: Wow. He is now the backup PG for the playoffs. I am in love with his game.