PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping The Jazz -- Ten Reason Why

timvp
04-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Typically, Spurs fans get on me for being too pessimistic about San Antonio in the playoffs. For example, last season I was scoffed at for suggesting the Grizzlies were going to make it a tough series. But against the Jazz, I simply don't see any reason to doubt the Spurs. For the first time I can remember, I'm predicting a sweep.

Here are ten reasons why, barring injuries, I don't see the Jazz winning a game in this series.

10. Appropriate Fear
The Grizzlies disaster last year will provide Pop more than enough ammunition to make sure his team doesn't look past the Jazz. I'm confident the Spurs will be ready to roll come the opening tip of Game 1.

9. The Jazz Will Run
The Spurs are one of the fastest paced teams in the NBA. The Jazz, too, are above average when it comes to pace. Usually, the Spurs have to make it a point to try to speed up the game, but the Jazz are one of the few playoff teams that will try to get out and run with the Spurs.

8. Three-Pointers Will Rain
The Jazz were one of the top ten worst teams in the league at preventing three-point attempts. And with talk of the Jazz attempting to play three bigmen simultaneously, I expect that alignment to limit their ability to defend the three-point line even more. The Spurs -- who finished No. 2 in three-pointers made and No. 1 in three-point percentage -- should be able to exploit that weakness.

7. The Spurs are Improved in the Middle
Last season, Memphis was able to bully the Spurs in the paint. And while the Jazz are loaded with quality bigmen, these Spurs have the personnel to hang. Duncan is still a great one-on-one defender in the paint, plus he protects the rim very well. Boris Diaw can defend down low. Off the bench, Tiago Splitter can continue to provide a strong foundation when Duncan is resting. The Jazz doing much of their damage in the paint actually plays to a San Antonio strength now.

6. Tony Parker vs. Devin Harris
Once upon a time, Devin Harris gave Tony Parker a lot of trouble on both ends of the court. Nowadays, Harris is an average to below average defender. While Harris' scoring has been better of late, Parker is simply on another level. The last ten times these two players have gone against each other, the Spurs have won.

5. Perimeter Defense
The potential chink in the armor for San Antonio defensively is their perimeter defense against swingmen who can fill it up on the offensive end -- particularly those that utilize a lot of screens. But since the Jazz don't have any ace scorers at shooting guard or small forward, that's not much of a worry this series. And on the other side of the coin, who exactly do the Jazz think will be able to hang with Manu Ginobili? Raja Bell might be their best option but Bell stopped having success against Ginobili about a half decade ago.

4. The Art of the Foul
In normal circumstances, the Spurs have trouble getting to the free throw line. However, when they go against the Jazz, that won't be an issue. Only the Raptors send the opposition to the free throw line more than the Jazz. Add in the bonus efficiency that free throws provide and San Antonio's offense should have no issues producing. Conversely, the Spurs are the second best team at keeping opponents off the charity stripe. Against a Jazz team that needs free throw attempts to stay afloat offensively, that trait will come in handy.

3. Road Sweet Road
Utah is easily the worst road team in the playoffs, which is understandable for a young team whose best years are ahead. After the first two games of this series, as long as the Spurs are healthy, I'd be shocked if the Spurs aren't up 2-0. And while the Jazz are very strong at home, the Spurs have been unbelievable on the road lately. In non-forfeited games, San Antonio has lost a grand total of one game on the road since Jan. 29.

2. Utah's Offensive Rebounding Negated
The Jazz rely a lot on offensive rebounding. In fact, Utah is the second best offensive rebounding team in the NBA. One problem, though, for the Jazz: The Spurs are the best defensive rebounding team in the NBA. It won't be easy to grab defensive boards against the Jazz but if any team is capable, it's the Spurs.

1. Top Offense vs. Worst Defense
The Spurs have the best offensive team in the entire NBA. Of the teams that made the playoffs, the Jazz are statistically the worst of the bunch. This point alone is reason enough for supreme confidence.

Believe.

polandprzem
04-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Offense wins championship?

crc21209
04-27-2012, 02:44 AM
I agree. The Spurs SHOULD sweep the Jazz, but things happen. IF the Jazz win a game, it's going to be either Game 3 or 4 back at their place. Spurs in 4, or 5....

hooperflash
04-27-2012, 03:25 AM
Believe:lobt2:

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 04:08 AM
4. The Art of the Foul
In normal circumstances, the Spurs have trouble getting to the free throw line. However, when they go against the Jazz, that won't be an issue. Only the Raptors send the opposition to the free throw line more than the Jazz. Add in the bonus efficiency that free throws provide and San Antonio's offense should have no issues producing. Conversely, the Spurs are the second best team at keeping opponents off the charity stripe. Against a Jazz team that needs free throw attempts to stay afloat offensively, that trait will come in handy.

It can seem like sending a team to the free throw line is always negative. But it can actually help the team that is doing the fouling by disrupting the other team on offense. The Grizzlies used that tactic when they won game 1 last year.

Darkwaters
04-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Winning in 5 wouldn't bother me. But a sweep sure sounds nice.

Obstructed_View
04-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Given the heroic efffort of the Jazz to win a close game against the Spurs in Utah, a game that had Duncan, Parker and Ginobili back in Texas getting some rest, I simply don't see how the Jazz will be able to even keep the final score within double digits. It was the rotten luck of the Jazz that they managed to win that game; there are good matchups and bad matchups, and this one is as good as last year's was bad.

I actually like the Jazz team; they'll be really good before too long, and I'm really impressed with Ty Corbin, but they don't have the horses, tbh.

objective
04-27-2012, 04:53 AM
For the first time I can remember, I'm predicting a sweep.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I can't see a sweep.

10. Appropriate Fear
The Grizzlies disaster last year will provide Pop more than enough ammunition to make sure his team doesn't look past the Jazz. I'm confident the Spurs will be ready to roll come the opening tip of Game 1.

That's one I can agree with. I was expecting it to take a playoff loss or two before Pop came to his senses and benched Blair for either Diaw or Splitter.

8. Three-Pointers Will Rain
The Jazz were one of the top ten worst teams in the league at preventing three-point attempts. And with talk of the Jazz attempting to play three bigmen simultaneously, I expect that alignment to limit their ability to defend the three-point line even more. The Spurs -- who finished No. 2 in three-pointers made and No. 1 in three-point percentage -- should be able to exploit that weakness.

Spurs' 3 point shooters are coming in suspect though. Neal is banged up if he even plays, Bonner is coasting into his playoff mode, Green has had long streaks of feast and of famine, it's the first playoffs for Leonard, etc.

7. The Spurs are Improved in the Middle

Luckily Pop isn't being fair to the team this time around.

6. Tony Parker vs. Devin Harris
Once upon a time, Devin Harris gave Tony Parker a lot of trouble on both ends of the court. Nowadays, Harris is an average to below average defender. While Harris' scoring has been better of late, Parker is simply on another level. The last ten times these two players have gone against each other, the Spurs have won.

Harris has been a lot better of late, even defensively. I think people are dismissing him like the dismissed Conley, only Harris can be better.

5. Perimeter Defense
The potential chink in the armor for San Antonio defensively is their perimeter defense against swingmen who can fill it up on the offensive end -- particularly those that utilize a lot of screens. But since the Jazz don't have any ace scorers at shooting guard or small forward, that's not much of a worry this series. And on the other side of the coin, who exactly do the Jazz think will be able to hang with Manu Ginobili? Raja Bell might be their best option but Bell stopped having success against Ginobili about a half decade ago.

I think Hayward is up for both challenges, though this being his first postseason, maybe he shrinks. But he's just an awesome player to watch on both sides of the ball. They have run him off screens and he can knock them down. He knocks down threes. He hits free throws. He passes the ball very well. On defense, he's long with quick feet, he can do ball denial like Ginobili did in his prime. Hayward is better defender than Bell at this point, probably by quite a bit. And even though it's his first postseason, he had big game pressure in the NCAAs and has been at his best this year as the Jazz were clawing their way into the playoffs.

4. The Art of the Foul

I see the downside, they will foul and foul and foul and the refs won't call them as much as they should, especially in Utah. The Spurs could get frustrated by the hacking and non-calls and be thrown off their game.

----------

I feel good about the Spurs chances, but mostly because I have cautious optimism that Pop has turned a corner on his coaching career after several years of dubious if not outright disasterous postseason miscues. He's pretty much done this year what some of us had been asking for: play the young guys over some old crusty washed up vet (KL and Green over what could have been Josh Howard or some other has been). And playing the next best players the most minutes lately, meaning Diaw and Splitter more than Bonner and Blair.

100%duncan
04-27-2012, 05:22 AM
:lmao At posters thinking it'll go to 5

Rapper
04-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Do not say it too early

Nothing is impossible although I think the spurs can sweep though

DespЏrado
04-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Knowing the spurs they will come out rusty game 1 and lose it early in the first quarter, and come back with the backside sweep.

I say it goes 5 especially because championship years were often started by losing the first game off the playoffs.

benefactor
04-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Offense wins championship?
In the first round it does. :)

Purch
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
There's no way Ty Corbin is gonna coach a fast paced game against the Spurs he's gonna try and slow it down and pound it in the paint (Assuming we go big)

Spursfanfromafar
04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Zach Lowe adds his views on the matchups ..especially on the new found all bigs strategy that the Jazz adopted and whether it will affect the Spurs much at all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/zach_lowe/04/26/spurs.jazz/index.html

Too much rides on Matt Bonner, for him. I think Diaw will play an important role.

Mr. Body
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Utah must be highly interested in seeing how the 3-ptrs go down in this first game. With many Spurs rusty or banged up, and the playoffs testing untried players (and Matt Bonner), if San Antonio can't get these to go down, it could be an interesting series. If they do go down, their chances are much more unlikely.

hater
04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Too much rides on Matt Bonner, for him. I think Diaw will play an important role.

Matt Bonner was getting schooled by Golden State JV team last night.

I expect his ass to be a benchwarmer for the entire playoffs

Cant_Be_Faded
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Ever since Dallas locked up number 7 seed, I been saying this will be the easiest first round match up since Memphis 2004.

hater
04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
slow down. we still have Matt Bonner

DMC
04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I agree with Purch. The Spurs will absolutely destroy the Jazz in an up tempo game because the Spurs run the break as well as any team and their passing is crisp and clean.

The Jazz will pack the paint and hope for offensive boards to be in their favor. Our outside shooting is going to be on display. I don't see Leonard choking in the playoffs, but anything is possible I guess. Dude is just too focused and doesn't seem to have game memory where he dwells on the last play. He's shooting well above where he looks like he should be shooting based on his form, but I'll take it. Hopefully it doesn't average out in the playoffs. Danny Green will be fine as long as he doesn't start to defer. He doesn't seem to be that type. We all know what Bonner will do, so we have that advantage, as he can only pleasantly surprise us, nothing else.

I just don't think the Jazz have the cohesiveness at this point to hold it together during a Spurs run. We'll see though.

I could see a sweep, but it's not going to be a cake walk.

Dex
04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Great breakdown.

Personally, there are two things that worry me about the Jazz: their frontline, and Devin Harris.

The former, because of what happened last season against Memphis. But the Jazz's frontline doesn't nearly have the same same size or skill that Memphis had. Jefferson is slightly undersized. Millsap is definitely undersized. And it would also be hard to believe that they could pull the same ridiculous shots out of their collective arses that the Grizzlies did *knock on wood*.

The latter, because Harris used to torch us in his days in Dallas. But Dallas had a lot more weapons then than the Jazz do now. It was hard to get a handle on Harris because you also had to account for Dirk, and Terry, and Howard, etc. With the Jazz, Harris is the head of the snake....shut him down, and the rest of the team is going to suffer for it. That being said, he's been shooting great over the tail of the season, so Spurs need to make it a point to get out on him and run him off that three-point line.

All things considered, though....when you look at the other teams in the playoff bracket, this is the easiest matchup the Spurs could've hoped for. Denver is playing hot right now, and has the talent to give the Spurs serious trouble. The Clips also have a lot of size inside, as well as Chris Paul. Memphis, Dallas or the Lakers? Need I say more?

The only way that things might have turned out better is if Phoenix had snuck into that 8-spot, but even they could present problems with all of their three-point shooters (which the Spurs struggle to cover when they get in scramble mode). Oh, and then there's that Steve Nash guy. Really, though, while the Suns may have been a less physical opponent, it also wouldn't condition the Spurs for upcoming rounds. If the Spurs are going to have to go through Memphis, or LA, or OKC, then the Jazz are a good warm-up to deal with that size on the interior.

Finally, one of the best silver linings is how the bracket played out. The only team on our side that I really worry about is Memphis. Meanwhile, LA, OKC, and Dallas are all going to have to take each other out. If the Spurs are able to make it to the WCF, they will only have to face one of those three teams, and that is a major advantage.

Jimcs50
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Spurs will sweep first two series.

:smokin

Rummpd
04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Spurs will not sweep and as long as they stay healthy and win in 5-6 I am fine with that. Jazz are a well coached and under-rated team.

DesignatedT
04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Typically, Spurs fans get on me for being too pessimistic about San Antonio in the playoffs.

Didn't you give the Spurs a 1% chance at winning the title this year or something? Even after the trade didn't you bump it up to like 5%? I don't really remember but what do you think the chances are now that the Spurs win the 'ship?

elemento
04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I expect a lot of pick&rolls from us. We're the best pick&roll team in the NBA and they're terrible defending it (25th among all NBA teams). They're also horrible defending in isolation plays and our offense is top 5.

Honestly, I am not worried about the Jazz at all. We're gonna win this in 5 at most. Our offense is just way too good for their defense.

justinandimcool
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Interesting that the spaced out schedule didn't make the top 10. With the Spurs very rested going into the each of the first three games of the series, we could easily win all three by 20+. I know it benefits Utah too, but we all know how much better our team is with fresh legs.

Keepin' it real
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM

On what do you base this expectation? Definitely not experience, because we all know Pop loves to play Bonner, especially in the playoffs.

Cherry
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Spurs will sweep first two series.

:smokin

eeehhhh:smokin

timtonymanu
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
A sweep would be nice. Spurs get to rest since the second round will be much more physical and the one B2B there will be.

NRHector
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
11. homecourt?

timvp
04-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I can't see a sweep.How many games are you thinking?

I think Hayward is up for both challenges, though this being his first postseason, maybe he shrinks. But he's just an awesome player to watch on both sides of the ball. They have run him off screens and he can knock them down. He knocks down threes. He hits free throws. He passes the ball very well. On defense, he's long with quick feet, he can do ball denial like Ginobili did in his prime. Hayward is better defender than Bell at this point, probably by quite a bit. And even though it's his first postseason, he had big game pressure in the NCAAs and has been at his best this year as the Jazz were clawing their way into the playoffs.As much as I like to watch Hayward, he simply can't be considered any type of potent scorer. His 15.6 points per 40 minutes is mediocre; Danny Green, for example, scores more often. Good passer and playmaker for a wing. Bright future. Not a scorer right now.

Defensively, the Jazz have been better when he's been on the bench. And though the sample size is small, Ginobili has shredded him. I think Hayward can grow into being a good defender -- and I wouldn't doubt if he's better than Bell defensively these days -- but right now he's only about average.

Mugen
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I think the Spurs lose Game 4 and take the series in 5 games.

The Mormon crowd is good enough to net the Jazz one game and I don't know if Pop likes the idea of a 14 game winning streak going into the WCSF :lol

A sweep would be just alright with me tho.

timvp
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
There's no way Ty Corbin is gonna coach a fast paced game against the Spurs he's gonna try and slow it down and pound it in the paint (Assuming we go big)It's difficult for a young team to change their stripes, tbh. The Jazz were 4th in the league in fast break points. In fact, they averaged 3.2 more points per game on the fast break than the Spurs. The Jazz will need those points to try to keep it close. And with Devin Harris, who thrives on the fast break, it'd be a mistake to even try to turn it into an ultra slow paced game.

:lmao At posters thinking it'll go to 5

I think the Spurs will sweep but five games wouldn't be bad. These Spurs probably could use a little adversity right about now. As it is, this season feels eerily like 2004. For that reason, a loss in Game 3 wouldn't be the end of the world.

That said, it would be a really bad sign if this series is extended to even six games. With a back-to-back a possibility in the second round, the Spurs need to quickly wrap up this series. San Antonio's chances of winning in the second round will dip ~10% if they can't win in 4 or 5 games, IMO.

DBMethos
04-27-2012, 11:35 AM
If I'm the Spurs, I dare the Jazz to use the big Jefferson/Millsap/Favors lineup. Crisp side-to-side ball movement should destroy that tactic.

Dex
04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
As it is, this season feels eerily like 2004. For that reason, a loss in Game 3 wouldn't be the end of the world..

As long as they don't follow it up with a loss in Game 4.

And Game 5.

And Game 6. :pctoss

GSH
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I think there's a good chance the Jazz avoid the sweep, for a couple of reasons:

1. How many times this season have the Spurs given up a career high, or season high points to some second-tier player? I don't have a number, but it's a bunch. Any game where that happens is a potential L.
2. Based on history, there's a high probability that the zebras swallow their whistles for (at least) one of the first three games. The Spurs have great outside shooters, but they need Tim and Tony to score in the paint. If the Jazz can shut that down, without a huge FT disparity, they've got a good shot at winning a game. I think it happens once, anyway. Say, Game 3 in Utah?

That being said, the Jazz are 8-23 when their opponent scores 100+. Their ONLY chance is to make the games ugly, bang like hell, and keep the score low. They could do that effectively enough to win one game. I doubt they can make it two. The bigger concern, to me, is getting everybody through the series healthy and confident.

Spur|n|Austin
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Then prepared to have your expectations crushed. We all know Pop will play him significant minutes.

ManuTastic
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I doubt a sweep, just because that's a pretty tall order, esp. having to play games in Salt Lake City, but I don't expect much drama either. 4-1 or 4-2 at most.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
im expecting a sweep of the jizz....

Budkin
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Noon games blow but we didn't have Manu last year.

colargol
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Ok for a sweep
My concern : with MEM/LAC going to seven it means Spurs won't play round two before 5/15!! It's a lot of rest and only 4 games in 20 days

timvp
04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok for a sweep
My concern : with MEM/LAC going to seven it means Spurs won't play round two before 5/15!! It's a lot of rest and only 4 games in 20 days

I think there's a decent chance the Grizzlies make short work of the Clippers. CP3 probably won't be 100% and L.A. lacks depth and overall toughness. And as we Spurs fans know, that's not a recipe for success against Memphis.

Then again, if Zach Randolph doesn't have another gear to go to, that may indeed be a long series.

moisaenz
04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I have hope Manu is in shape by now.. If he is he is just waiting to explode in the playoffs, I still think he has a few 30 point games left.. He will be important against the Jazz since they like to foul a lot.. With Jazz's foul trouble if the 3s are not falling.. attack the rim, you would at least get fouled..... Spurs in 5 ... I just think Pop might tank or throw the white flag early in one game since this is a physical team... but who knows maybe our Jv unit with manu involved might beat them...

T Park
04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I think Clippers Grizzlies goes 7. Gonna be a damn fun series to watch.

The ADMIRAL 50
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
What worries me the most by far is that the first game is at noon.

This whole angle has been way too overblown here on ST imo. Sure it has bothered us in the past, but the Jazz will be playing at noon as well, which in Mountain West Time will be the equivalent of 11AM. I'm not too worried about it. If the Spurs lose a game this series it'll be game three of four, but I'm not sure the Jazz can pull that off and either way it sure as hell isn't going past game 5.

T Park
04-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Pop has never white flagged a playoff game unless it was 100% obvious the game was over and not winnable.

T Park
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Matt Bonner is the 4th big, no way he'll see crunch time minutes over Diaw.

Unless he's shooting well.

If he's shooting well coupled with his good defense lately, all bets are off.

TampaDude
04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
WWLWW

Spurs in 5.

ffadicted
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
spurs gonna sweep their way to the finals, book it niggas

ginobilized
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I see a sweep as a strong possibility too

with pop and the big 3 taking off the final games to rest and prepare
i imagine that pop's game plans and adjustments alone will be top notch
utah is fortunate to be in the playoffs....it's going to be very tough for the Jazz

god bless 'em

Dr Cox
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
David Stern will make this go 5 games...o well : )

TampaDude
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
spurs gonna sweep their way to the finals, book it niggas

That would be truly epic. 16-0 to win their 5th :lobt2:

LeBron gets swept by the Spurs in the Finals again, too. :lol

jhfenton
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
WLWWW

Pop doesn't like to win 12 in a row.

jrodriguez.Nb.Tx
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
spurs in 4 baby.
were wayyyyy too good and wayyyy to hungry to lose any games this series
especially after wut happend last year.
were gunna hit the ground running

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
the sooner we finish them off, the beter...our guyrs get extra rest for the next round, no point extending the series just to milk some money...

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
WLWWW

Pop doesn't like to win 12 in a row.

Yeah they will have to drop a game so guys can rest up. Probably around the 10th victory.

wildbill2u
04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Depends on the three point shooting of the Spurs. It's possible, not probable but possible, that all our 3 pt shooters could go cold at one time.

But probably for only one game, not for an entire series.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
losing 1 game will be a disappointment, this is the mormon jizz we talkin about

z0sa
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
+1 to timvp's OP

I think the main thing is that getting up and down a whole lot, for a whole series, is very tough for bigs, especially when you're dealing with extensions on D all the way out to the three point line and further. Jazz might like to get out and run but the Spurs LOVE doing that ... and then they punish you in the half court with incredible execution when you do get back.

Additionally, FTs will reign king in this series. Should Spurs average 35+ FTAs like in the regular season, I see a sweep. If Parker, Manu and company have trouble getting to the line due to increased physicality allowed, the Jazz have a much better chance of taking a couple off San Antonio.

Drom John
04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
We should be about 7 point favorites, 10 at home, 4 in SLC.
That's two missed shots, four bad FTs (Spurs still make me cringe at the free throw line), 2 hard shooting fouls not called, a player getting banged up, Crawford reffing;
or for the Jazz, a couple of prayers dropping, perfection at the line and so on.
The Bobcats did beat the Magic (with Howard) and the Knicks (with Anthony and Stoudemire) this year.

DPG21920
04-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Spurs in 5 or 6. Probably 5. I can't agree with a sweep prediction for two reasons mainly:

1) Utah has a talented front line and Spurs still have question marks there.

2) Spurs have a lot of role players playing well, including a rookie starting. Its not inconceivable some of them shrink possibly.

I wouldnt be shocked at a sweep but I think 5 is more likely with 6 being as likely as a sweep

Splits
04-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Great post LJ. My ONLY nitpick is that lists like these should use odd numbers. So I'll make it 11:

This team is by far the hottest in the league. We're riding a 10-gamer which is coming off an 11-gamer with only 1 "real" loss in the past 23 (fakers in SA). The Jazz are barely playoff competition. The best team in the league going into the playoffs should make short work of Utah.

DPG21920
04-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Plus TP has a hurt shoulder, so sweeping not likely.

Splits
04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
^ eh? You mean Neal?

DPG21920
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
No I mean TP. And Neal too.

Splits
04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm confused. TP hasn't been hurt all year.

DPG21920
04-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Trust me, I have sources. You know me - it's DPG

objective
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
How many games are you thinking?

I think this series will be 6, maybe 5 if SA is lucky.

To me, it reminds me too much of the Kings in 06, where most people here seem to be thinking of Memphis in 04.

That Kings series was much harder than people thought. After a huge blowout in game 1, it turned to a slugfest. It took an incredible Barry 3 and Duncan moving screen to win one of the the games. And the intensity of the crowd won a game for Sacramento in game 3 where Kevin Martin blatantly fouled Manu at the end of the game in front of the ref and took the ball for the game winning layup. The refs were so swayed by the rabid crowd that any sort of fouling was allowed with no-calls.

That's what I think will happen in this series.

The result in 06 with the physical play and the series going longer than it should have was that the Spurs were more tired than they should have been the next round against Dallas. I think the same could happen here with facing Memphis in the second round this year.

Manufan909
04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
I think the Spurs lose Game 4 and take the series in 5 games.

The Mormon crowd is good enough to net the Jazz one game and I don't know if Pop likes the idea of a 14 game winning streak going into the WCSF :lol

A sweep would be just alright with me tho.

If Pop sat the Big 3 in in Game 5 and the Spurs still won that would be the most hilarious shit of all time, OF ALL TIME!!!:p:

pawe
04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
No way will the Spurs relax this year after getting bounced early in the playoffs last year. These boys are so motivated and so hungry that they will not only sweep the Jazz, they will also blow them out by 15-20 points in all 4 games.

TheSkeptic
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM

:lmao

Though since Diaw can shoot, I don't know why we don't use him as the stretch 4 instead.

To me, it reminds me too much of the Kings in 06, where most people here seem to be thinking of Memphis in 04.

That Kings series was much harder than people thought. After a huge blowout in game 1, it turned to a slugfest. It took an incredible Barry 3 and Duncan moving screen to win one of the the games. And the intensity of the crowd won a game for Sacramento in game 3 where Kevin Martin blatantly fouled Manu at the end of the game in front of the ref and took the ball for the game winning layup. The refs were so swayed by the rabid crowd that any sort of fouling was allowed with no-calls.

The result in 06 with the physical play and the series going longer than it should have was that the Spurs were more tired than they should have been the next round against Dallas. I think the same could happen here with facing Memphis in the second round this year.

I get what you're saying but I just don't think the Jazz are that good. Even if they decide to play big and physical, the Spurs have the frontcourt players to match them. And since they're kind of like the Lakers in that they're terrible at guarding the pick and roll the Spurs can carve them up (and out-perimeter them if they do opt for the 3 big line).

As far as officiating and everything else goes, I'm sure Pop has it all under control. He'll make the proper adjustments as needed imo.

beachwood
04-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Drinking a big glass of kool aid here, but I'm on board with the sweep. We have been destroying teams the past month. Not merely just winning games. And I see no reason for it to stop now. The Big 3 are healthy, rested and after last years debacle, I see them laying the smack down.

Just like the Spurs came out focused against the Lakers after the 1st meeting meltdown, I think this team will be dialed in right from the beginning.

And if Memphis is in the 2nd round, it'll be another sweep.

emanueldavidginobili
04-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Spurs in 5..but I wouldnt be surprised at all by a sweep. Im so pumped for the playoffs to start...Manu has been pacing himself this whole year to stay healthy and get to this point completely healthy...I cant wait to see what he has in store for us.

T Park
04-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Problem with that thinking is, they dont have a shut down defender in his prime like Ron Artest.

They dont have good shooters LIKE Kevin Martin or Peja Stoyakovic.

No Brad Miller nor Mike Bibby. I mean that Sacramento team was LOADED with talent.

The Jazz while talented are young and their depth isn't even CLOSE to as good.

They were a long athletic team that bothered a slower older Spurs team. Artest was shutting Ginobili down. Miller guarded Duncan well, Abdur Rahim was on his last legs but bothersome.

Dont forget also he had a contract year and was KILLING them in Bonzi Wells.

So to me the comparison is not even close. NOW, had they played Denver and you laid the scenario out? Then I'd agree.

TD 21
04-27-2012, 07:14 PM
What worries me the most by far is that the first game is at noon.

I could see it going either way. On the one hand, the Spurs are already due for an off game and the big three will have had almost six full days between games (in a season where two off probably felt like six; so what do six actual ones feel like?). Not that the Jazz are used to noon games either, but still. On the other hand, the Spurs could easily have so much pent up energy and be so desperate to immediately put to rest the notion of history repeating itself, that they blitz the Jazz immediately.

Good work, timvp. I'm inclined to give the Jazz one game, partially because of how good their crowd is, but more so because the Spurs are due for a game where they flat out don't have it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs swept them though.

Purch
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
It's difficult for a young team to change their stripes, tbh. The Jazz were 4th in the league in fast break points. In fact, they averaged 3.2 more points per game on the fast break than the Spurs. The Jazz will need those points to try to keep it close. And with Devin Harris, who thrives on the fast break, it'd be a mistake to even try to turn it into an ultra slow paced game.

The difference is when I say go big I'm speaking about the Millsap-Jefferson-Favors lineup which is relatively new and won't show up in those stats.Corbin first seriously experimented with it like two weeks ago. With that lineup we're much more conformable playing a half court game both defensively and offensively and that's probably the biggest reason why we even have the 8th seed.

timvp
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
:wakeup

That's probably the first and last sweep prediction I guess correctly but it was fun while it lasted, tbh.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-07-2012, 10:42 PM

That's probably the first and last sweep prediction I guess correctly but it was fun while it lasted, tbh.

yet another st vet who apparently was scared crapless over Memphis 04 :blah

Budkin
05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
timvp with the goods yet again :tu

Manufan909
05-08-2012, 12:03 AM

You didn't call the Cavs sweep?

ducks
05-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I did

objective
05-08-2012, 05:39 AM
I was wrong, I guess I was being too pessimistic.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2012, 05:49 AM
I was wrong, I guess I was being too pessimistic.

You weren't off by that much. The Spurs let off the gas, they just didn't quite give Utah enough time to capitalize on it. It was gratifying to see the Spurs buckle down the few times they were challenged in this series. I think I said the Spurs had no excuse for not sweeping, so I wasn't much more confident than you were. Hope they can keep that intensity up for the rest of the postseason.