Splitter
16 games
16.8 mpg
.671 FG%
9.6 ppg
5.3 rpg
.8 apg
.8 bpg

Splitters numbers could be a lot better if it wasn't for two games recently where he had 7 and 9 minutes.

I'm going to bold the question below since people are missing the point of this thread.

Is Pop going to wise up or continue to give Bonner more minutes than Splitter? 20+ minutes too?

DesignatedT
04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
:deadhorse

Everyone knows Splitter is better than Bonner. Let it go.

Spurtacus
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM

There's a question at the end. :rolleyes

DesignatedT
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
There's a question at the end. :rolleyes

You already know the answer.

thispego
04-27-2012, 02:53 PM

no shit!

seriously does no one understand that splitter is injury prone? his minutes are being regulated to keep him fresh and healthy for more playoffs minutes

Spurtacus
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
You already know the answer.

I'm sorry if you were insulted by me posting a thread on a discussion forum.

:depressed

z0sa
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
:lmao Bonner

I have defended him time and time again, maybe more than anyone not named Chazley on this website, but the reality is, he's a choker. Even if by some miracle he comes through during this first round that previous stats imply he should dominate anyway, I highly doubt he sustains it past Utah.

:td Extremely disappointed in the Broken Red Sprocket.

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Splitter shooting 67%? Maybe he's not getting enough shots. If he can get 10 a game on 67% he should be able to get 15-20 at 55+%.

ChumpDumper
04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
How much do they play together?

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 03:32 PM

I have defended him time and time again, maybe more than anyone not named Chazley on this website, but the reality is, he's a choker. Even if by some miracle he comes through during this first round that previous stats imply he should dominate anyway, I highly doubt he sustains it past Utah.

Bonner's definitely a choke artist. But teams definitely focus in on him in the playoffs. I remember back in '09 the Mavs had an advanced stats guy that told them the key to winning the series was stopping Bonner.

z0sa
04-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Bonner's definitely a choke artist. But teams definitely focus in on him in the playoffs.

tbh his career April stats, particularly this year's since the playoffs start very late in the month, prove he's just small-minded. I can root for an underathletic white dude who's balls-out all effort, I can't root for an underathletic white guy who's all effort but owns zero cajones.

slick'81
04-27-2012, 03:47 PM
wow so bonner sucks no way

Dr Cox
04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
why is this thread even here?

Wow! Hitler was a bad person!

Wow! We went to the moon!

Wow! George bush liked to party in college!

Wow! Splitter is Better than Bonner!

Spurtacus
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
why is this thread even here?

Wow! Hitler was a bad person!

Wow! We went to the moon!

Wow! George bush liked to party in college!

Wow! Splitter is Better than Bonner!

You care enough to respond.

BRs.Ganso
04-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Pop have something behind scenes with Bonner, everybody knows.

TheSkeptic
04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Splitter shooting 67%? Maybe he's not getting enough shots. If he can get 10 a game on 67% he should be able to get 15-20 at 55+%.

Given the opportunity there's not a doubt in my mind that Splitter could be a beast. Unless he's having a really bad shooting night I think he'd score about 20 when given the ball and played closer to 30 minutes. The staff would have to ride him about his rebounding but I'm sure he could manage that at a respectable level as well.

The mismanagement has been inexcusable but the Spurs can still go all the way thanks to Diaw. Let's win the championship this year and hope Tiago gets a fair shot next season.

As an aside, I wonder what Splitter's per minute production looks like when Pop's not coaching? :stirpot:

Dr Cox
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
just because i wanted to be that guy : )

Thunder in 5 : )

Spursfan4lyfe
04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
why are we looking at stats this team is tied for the best record in the league so apparently what they are doing with the line up is working not only that the spurs are just not a great defense team nor do they ply from the free throw line down so having to players playing together who have the same type of skills Splitter/ Duncan is not going to work is Splitter could stretch the defense in any way he would start but he can't how can parker get into the paint with it being full of defenders if parker can't get into the paint the team can't win Splitter will not play with Duncan or Blair for long he can however play with Bonner and Daiw because their skill set is different

anonoftheinternets
04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Bonner

Is Pop going to wise up or continue to give Bonner more minutes than Splitter? 20+ minutes too?

How many of those minutes you posted are when they play together? More useful stat to post are their numbers with Duncan or Diaw (or whoever u propose to make each them play next to).

TheSkeptic
04-27-2012, 06:31 PM
why are we looking at stats this team is tied for the best record in the league so apparently what they are doing with the line up is working

The playoffs are a completely different animal and Bonner (a large part of what makes this team good during the regular season) is starting his annual slump.

The fact that the team has been making adjustments shows that the coaching staff recognizes this as well.

not only that the spurs are just not a great defense team nor do they ply from the free throw line down

While it's not going to match the defense of the old championship teams, this team's defense has been better recently because the staff has been playing the better individual defenders together. The elite offense should be enough to offset the lack of elite defense as long as the team can stay above average.

They've also been getting to the line at a decent rate as of late imho.

so having to players playing together who have the same type of skills Splitter/ Duncan is not going to work is Splitter could stretch the defense in any way he would start but he can't how can parker get into the paint with it being full of defenders

First of all, Duncan and Splitter don't play in the same spots.

Second, they could use a couple of wing players + Duncan to space the floor.

Third, Parker had no problems scoring and distributing the ball with the Splitter/Duncan line-up during the Laker games. Heck, I think the team had a 30+ quarter with Splitter and Duncan playing together.

Fourth, there's two sides to the game. The offense produces at more or less the same rate and the defense gets significantly better with the two of them playing. It's too late to start Splitter this season but I would hope he'd get a shot next season since he hasn't been given a fair chance here so far.

if parker can't get into the paint the team can't win Splitter will not play with Duncan or Blair for long he can however play with Bonner and Daiw because their skill set is different

I'll agree that you can't quite run the offense the same way when you play Splitter with Duncan (and frankly Blair shouldn't see the floor at all). That said, it's not nearly as impossible as you're trying to make it.

I do agree that it's not something they should try this season unless they have to though.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
the treatment of splitter in the doghouse is even worster then beno...im certain his gone when his contract is up, then FO has to go look for another reputable big...fkn jackasses

Spurtacus
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
How many of those minutes you posted are when they play together? More useful stat to post are their numbers with Duncan or Diaw (or whoever u propose to make each them play next to).

If you can find that stat that would be great. However, for most of the season, Bonner was the first big off the bench and the main big who closed out games with Duncan. Luckily Diaw has eaten into his minutes.

Jumi
04-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I think Splitter resigns when his contract ends. He has to add a little more skill to his game, but the keys to the car should be his pretty soon. The players around him should keep us in competitive past the Duncan Era.

Blake
04-27-2012, 08:39 PM
A bonner hate thread?

It's about time someone started one. We're already in April for christ's sake.

therealtruth
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
A bonner hate thread?

Think of it as a Splitter appreciation thread.

chazley
04-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Trust me. If Duncan/Splitter played well together, Pop would be the first one to pair them every single game for alot of minutes. Unfortunately, Tiago looks completely lost on offense when he plays next to Duncan, and both operate significantly better offensively when paired with Bonner, and to a lesser extent Diaw.

With a full offseason and training camp next year, I expect to see them paired up much more.

ElNono
04-28-2012, 01:27 AM
A bonner hate thread?

Well, I thawed my portion of crow, per the usual around this time of the year. I'm eagerly awaiting to enjoy it with some fine wine. I've been waiting for 3 seasons already.

Let's hope this year is the year.

Paranoid Pop
04-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Diaw is the best PF.

Splitter and Bonner don't play the same position.

Against the Lakers Tiago couldn't defend Gasol's rainbow shot better then Boris (arguably worse since Boris shut him down at one point) and offensively the result is way worse, all the runs were with Boris at PF. Tiago does rebound a bit better tho but the most efficient pairings are pretty obvious, Bonner and Splitter is a good pairing off the bench.

Btw the Lakers' games are the only worth reading into this month.

That said Tiago may see more time vs Utah since they will try to play their super big lineup as much as possible and we will probably have to match it.

TJastal
04-28-2012, 04:54 AM

mr7hJowNX5w

will_spurs
04-28-2012, 05:13 AM
I'm fine with Bonner coming off the bench and playing 16 mpg, because that's his role. I wasn't fine with Bonner starting or playing 25+ mpg, because that kills our chances, same as any Bonner-Blair line-up.

Splitter will have his role to play against Utah if they decide to go with a big lineup. Bonner will also have his role to play if Utah chooses not to defend the 3.

I think this is another advantage of signing Diaw: Pop respects him, wanted him to come, and somehow trusts him. His presence opened up a lot of possibilities for Pop and finally allowed to go away from the crappy big rotation we had in the last few years.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm fine with Bonner coming off the bench and playing 16 mpg, because that's his role. I wasn't fine with Bonner starting or playing 25+ mpg, because that kills our chances, same as any Bonner-Blair line-up.
QFMFT

Bonner with 15 minutes gets 3 to 7 shots. Best case: He has 14-18 points. Worst case: He's not on the floor long enough for the other team to key on him.

chazley
04-28-2012, 05:47 AM
QFMFT

Bonner with 15 minutes gets 3 to 7 shots. Best case: He has 14-18 points. Worst case: He's not on the floor long enough for the other team to key on him.

Yea man, Spurs suck ass when Bonner is on the floor. I mean, the Spurs were outscored this season when Matt Bonner wasn't on the court, and we outscored opponents by 11.8 pts/48 minutes when he's on the court.

But hey, he's white and runs like a t-rex! Cut him already!

Obstructed_View
04-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Yea man, Spurs suck ass when Bonner is on the floor. I mean, the Spurs were outscored this season when Matt Bonner wasn't on the court, and we outscored opponents by 11.8 pts/48 minutes when he's on the court.

But hey, he's white and runs like a t-rex! Cut him already!

Look who doesn't know anything about the playoffs: Chazley the troll!

GoodOdor
04-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Look who doesn't know anything about the playoffs: Chazley the troll!

Even chalzy would probably trade jefferson for carmelo though.

rmt
04-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Trust me. If Duncan/Splitter played well together, Pop would be the first one to pair them every single game for alot of minutes. Unfortunately, Tiago looks completely lost on offense when he plays next to Duncan, and both operate significantly better offensively when paired with Bonner, and to a lesser extent Diaw.

With a full offseason and training camp next year, I expect to see them paired up much more.

What? 2 regular seasons (even if one was condensed) and a playoff run wasn't enough time to try to play them together? What would one expect from Splitter if he's thrown into the fire of starting next to TD against LAL in what was the most important regular season game of the year? That he would look comfortable, that he wouldn't be nervous after spending most of the year on the bench (but for less than 20 mins/game).

Spurs fans better pray that Diaw will step up because the alternative of Bonner on the court in playoff crunch time gives me nightmares. I will grant that he's been playing hard since the LAL game but guess what, EVERYBODY will be playing hard in the playoffs and the one thing that he does well - 28% 3pt shooting in April - pfttt.

SpurSwag
04-28-2012, 01:04 PM

The thing about Bonner, as many people have explained on this site, is that regardless of whether his shots are falling or not, he's still an asset on the court. It's painful to watch him choke so consistently, but he still drags out the defense really effectively and allows for Timmy, Manu, and TP to go to work. Against Utah, he'll probably end up dragging Favors way out of the paint, which will open lanes up for manu and tony.

Blake
04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, I thawed my portion of crow, per the usual around this time of the year. I'm eagerly awaiting to enjoy it with some fine wine. I've been waiting for 3 seasons already.

Let's hope this year is the year.

I think the Spurs are loaded enough to overcome a Bonner playoff choke this year.

The Big 3 are healthy. Bonner plussing in the playoffs shouldn't be a necessity, just icing

Seventyniner
04-28-2012, 01:31 PM
To sum up: this team can win a title with Bonner as the 4th big. I. In the past, he's been 2nd or 3rd.

Ditty
04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
wow so bonner sucks no way

your sig brings back some bad memories :lol

timtonymanu
04-28-2012, 01:35 PM
your sig brings back some bad memories :lol

nice avatar :tu