PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' 3-point play concerns Popovich

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Spurs' 3-point play concerns Popovich
Web Posted: 06/22/2005 01:04 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062205.3S.BKNspurs.3pointers.32853297.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't spend much time after Game 6 of the NBA Finals talking about the fact that the Pistons' eight 3-point baskets matched their output from the previous five games.

"They are not known to be a 3-point shooting team, so some nights that's going to happen," Popovich said.

He did, however, have a few things to say about the fact his team put up a whopping 28 attempts from 3-point range. It was the most 3-pointers the Spurs have attempted this postseason, eclipsing the 25 they tried against Phoenix on May 30. The Suns won that contest, 111-106.

"That's too many (3-point attempts)," Popovich said after the 95-86 loss to the defending NBA champions. "That's definitely too many."

Especially, he added, when many of them were hurried, a big reason why the Spurs missed 20.

"It was a matter of trying to win quickly, skipping steps," Popovich said. "They have got to be open threes, not hurried threes or hoping that they are going to fall.

"So our threes were more of a problem really than the made threes they had."

With guards Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili combining for seven field goals inside the paint in the first half, the Spurs had the kind of offensive attack going that served them so well in their victories in the first two games.

But those drives dried up in the second half as the Pistons clogged the middle, forcing the duo to take more outside shots.

Parker and Ginoboli, who combined to score 36 points, each managed only two field goals in the second half.

"They collapsed better and their big guys came in a little quicker," said Parker, who finished with 15 points. "We just have to make adjustments and have confidence in our outside shooting."

Popovich saw it differently, saying the Spurs' offensive woes in the second half had more to do with his team's lack of patience.

"More than anything," he said, "I think we were just too quick with everything that we did, not waiting for the game to come to us as individuals and then playing with it.

"When you try to force things, there probably are not any lanes to penetrate. You have to let that happen and when they are there, they are there."

Ginobili, who missed 6 of 8 3-point attempts and finished with 21 points, said the Pistons' rebounding effort also played a part in the Spurs' inability to run. The Pistons finished with 10 fast-break points. The Spurs managed only six.

"About the fast break, it's not easy," Ginobili said. "They are a very good team. They go to the offensive board very hard. So, you know, everybody is trying to get the rebound and by the time we get the ball, it's not that easy to get to the other side as fast."

T Park
06-22-2005, 02:36 AM
If they clog the lanes.

How about bringing in guys like Glenn Robinson or Devin Brown.

Give some guys some shots other than just running Ginobili and Parker into the same goddamn problems.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:39 AM
How about NOT having Tony Parker dribble the ball at the top of the key for 10 seconds every possesion. There is a pretty damn good chance all shots are going to be hurried when he does that and Tim holds it for atleast another 8.

whottt
06-22-2005, 02:40 AM
They have got to be open threes, not hurried threes or hoping that they are going to fall.

Yup...and there was one guy out there forcing them that hasn't forced them all season...but at least Spurfans seem to like him more now.

I may have to stop picking against Pop...

T Park
06-22-2005, 02:42 AM
So if hes open he shouldn't shoot em???

Ok..

FreshPrince22
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Well, in all fairness, 4 or 5 of them were desperation threes at the end of the game.
________
SexyKarmen (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/SexyKarmen)

ducks
06-22-2005, 08:33 AM
He did, however, have a few things to say about the fact his team put up a whopping 28 attempts from 3-point range.
manu shot 8 three pointers?

SouthernFried
06-22-2005, 08:46 AM
If they go..POP sings a different tune. PERIOD.

We don't have a mid-range game...we have an inside the paint game, and a 3 point game. They took away the inside game, clogged the lanes, and are holding Tim down. If you aint got the inside..you shoot the outside.

DETROIT made 'em...we Didn't. If we made them, POP woulda been singing a whole different tune.

Don't stop shooting them if that is what they are giving you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2005, 01:06 PM
The whole pack the lane thing worked for Detroit in games 3 and 4.

The only reason it didn't work in game 5 was b/c of Horry going crazy.

And it was back to being a failure last night.

Go back and look at '03 and '99, the only reason we have those rings with our glorious P_p_vich offense is due to some timely, clutch three point shooting.

Pray to God that we get it Thursday, b/c Detroit will have the lane packed again.

SouthernFried
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
3 pointers are a huge part of our game..especially in this series. I think Thursdays game will be won, or lost...at the 3 point line.

cmc$purs
06-22-2005, 01:57 PM
win or lose at the free throw line :shootme

td4mvp21
06-22-2005, 02:22 PM
If it concerns him so much, he needs to work out something for the Spurs to run that does not involve chunking up threes.

FCBarca
06-22-2005, 02:27 PM
The whole pack the lane thing worked for Detroit in games 3 and 4.

The only reason it didn't work in game 5 was b/c of Horry going crazy.

And it was back to being a failure last night.

And that's it in a nutshell...Good analysis really from the Pistons' perspective.

San Antonio hits those threes, the parade remains on schedule for Thursday...As for Game 7, I suspect we'll see the same thing but whether or not Popp encourages the 3 pt shot remains to be seen...I think we'll see Duncan being fed the ball A LOT and no more than 17 or 18 3 pt attempts.

It's all about will at this point...If Detroit can exert their will on the game and force SA into the 3 pt contest, I predict Detroit victory...If SA gets to the freethrow line like they have been and Duncan plays big, then SA should win.

But I believe this, if you want the Championship, you have to TAKE it...Waiting for the other to fail or miss their shot won't decide it, who will step up?...My money is on Chauncey for Detroit and Duncan for SA, edge to Chauncey IMHO.

spurster
06-22-2005, 02:36 PM
3 pointers are a huge part of our game..especially in this series. I think Thursdays game will be won, or lost...at the 3 point line.
I agree. Good outside perimeter shooting opened up the lane in Games 1 and 2, and it took a few 3-pointers from Big Shot Bob to win Game 5. Really, this is no different from the 1999 title (JJ, Elliott, and Elie) and the 2003 title (SJ and Kerr).

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Talking about hitting or missing 3's...

The best you can expect from 3pt land is 40%. What concerns me is that Detroit was taking away some of the high percentage shots, and the Spurs didn't work to earn them and settled for some not so wide open 3's. If they work the ball around without turning it over, Detroit has no chance.

Vashner
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
HORRY ENVY!

Let Tony Parker do his BEEPING job and tell Tim to take it strong.. maybe his ankles are really BEEPed up?

Brutalis
06-22-2005, 05:42 PM
If they clog the lanes.

How about bringing in guys like Glenn Robinson or Devin Brown.

Give some guys some shots other than just running Ginobili and Parker into the same goddamn problems.
Its too late for them to find a role. Last game of the year..

boutons
06-22-2005, 06:06 PM
How many airballs or backboard-first 3G's did the Spurs take last night?

That was surely an indication of hurrying the shots, contested shots, or just plain nerves.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-22-2005, 06:43 PM
How about NOT having Tony Parker dribble the ball at the top of the key for 10 seconds every possesion. There is a pretty damn good chance all shots are going to be hurried when he does that and Tim holds it for atleast another 8.

Amen! I was so sick of seeing TP ass dribble, backing up the court like he was a pipsqueak litte fucker who couldn't dribble with this left hand and therefore had to protect the ball every step. Fucking run Tony. You're the fastest guy in the NBA.

smeagol
06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
He did, however, have a few things to say about the fact his team put up a whopping 28 attempts from 3-point range.
manu shot 8 three pointers?
two of those were forced when the clock was running down

SpurYank
06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I usually support everything Pop says. However, we bring in Barry for his 3-point shooting; we allow Bruce to develop his 3-point shooting, and Many is also good from beyond the line. We're here because of Horry's 3-point shooting. And now we are shooting too many 3's.

The trouble was we didn't make enough of them. We will tomorrow.

Alchal
06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Amen! Fucking run Tony. You're the fastest guy in the NBA.

Earl Boykins is faster.

SequSpur
06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
The Spurs offense calls for the ball to go into the strength of the pistons defense.

Thats a Popfucking problem.

1Parker1
06-22-2005, 08:04 PM
The Spurs offense calls for the ball to go into the strength of the pistons defense.

Thats a Popfucking problem.

Holy crap, am I going crazy or did that actually make sense? I can't believe I agree with you Sequ!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2005, 08:08 PM
If Pop has a problem with the team shooting threes, maybe he should develop an offense that's success in the playoffs against tough competition isn't reliant on it.

'99 we only won because we had Elie, Elliott, and J. Jackson hitting from downtown

'03 was the Steve Kerr and Stephen Jackson show.

For us to win as long as we are running Pop's system (and he is resistant to offensive change), we've got to have guys bombing away from downtown to ever win anything.