PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker is NOT hurt

eric365
04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Interview in French
http://www.sports.fr/cmc/nba/201217/tony-parker-et-les-spurs-ambitieux-avant-les-playoffs_452941.html?sitemap

First question :
Tony, dans quel état d'esprit abordez-vous ces playoffs ?
Je me sens bien. Ce n'était pas une saison facile. Il y avait beaucoup d'intensité, beaucoup de matches à négocier. Mais le coach a fait du très bon boulot pour gérer nos corps et notre fraîcheur. Il y a des matches où je n'ai pas trop joué, je n'ai pas joué les deux derniers matches de la saison pour être le plus frais possible pour les playoffs. Là, je me sens bien et je suis prêt pour dimanche.

=>
Tony, how is your mind before starting the playoff ?
I feel good. It was not an easy season. It was really intense, lot of games to play. But the coach did a great job to manage ours bodies and to be fresh. I didn't play a lot in some games and I havn't played the last 2 games to be the more fresh for the playoff. Now, I feel good and ready for Sunday

I have no time to translate the rest

The_Worlds_finest
04-28-2012, 07:41 AM
LOL believing some idiot named Cosmic Cowboy and his sources..
LOL making a reassuring thread

Legacy
04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks so much for this news! *huge sigh of relief*

Whisky Dog
04-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Cosmic Cowboy's boasting ways are annoying, but I can't remember him just making stuff up like this before (unless he did it in the year i quit posting). I'm sure Parker got the treatment for a sore shoulder as Bruno described and CC was led to believe it was more serious.

biba
04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Tony, what state of mind do you approach this final?
I feel good. It was not an easy season. There was a lot of intensity, a lot of matches to negotiate. But the coach did a good job of managing our bodies and our freshness. There are matches where I have not played too much, I have not played the last two games of the season to be as fresh as possible for the playoffs. There, I feel good and I'm ready for Sunday.

How is the integration of Boris Diaw in the team?
He is very well integrated. This is a very smart basketball player, and there were no problems to join the team and learn our systems. Anyway, we're counting on him.

This year, it feels a more complete team with seven or eight players over 9 points per game. How Gregg Poppovich manage to handle this?
Our team has always been based on the collective. We always played the european way, everyone touches the ball, everyone is aggressive, and everyone can score. It's always been our system of play.

What will be the key to the series against Utah?
Utah is a young team with great talent. They are big inside with Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors. We'll have to expect a big fight physically, but I think we are ready for this challenge.

A word about your direct opponent, Devin Harris?
This is a very talented player. He is not easy to contain. This is an aggressive player, very important for his team. We'll have to do a great defensive job to contain him. It'll be a good "match-up" for me.

Do you still think about the failure last year in the first round versus Memphis?
Our first round of last year is forgotten. It gives even more motivation. Manu was injured, Tim was injured. We were not 100% to attack the playoffs. Here we are 100%, we are fresh.

The Spurs are favorites this year?
I like our chances this year. I think we are favorites, but there are others. There are Miami, Chicago, Oklahoma City, the Lakers. They all have their chances of winning the title. There are five or six teams, and each has its chances to win. We need to play well to get it. But it will be difficult.

Tim Duncan seems to find a second life for a month, how do you explain that?
It is true that Tim really plays at a high level this year. He is not concerned over his knee, and I hope it will last all during the playoffs. For now, this is just a bonus for us.

It was announced this season a team at end of cycle, did you expect to finish first in the Western Conference?
I knew we had a good team. After, you never know where you go finish. You can not predict that Danny Green would make a season like that, that Kawhi Leonard would progress like this. That is the stuff that did the most to us. There is also Tim healthy. These are things you can not predict. I knew we would have a good season, but not as good. Now our team is really efficient, with ten players who can play.

Your name is regularly quoted in the top 5 of MVP rankings, is it something that makes you happy?
Of course, this is a great honor. Growing up in France, and dreaming of the NBA, I never would have imagined that one day Magic Johnson, Chris Mullin or Charles Barkley put me in the top 5 best players of the season. It's nice, and it makes me feel to progress even more. Each time, that's how I approach a season. I always try to push myself, and continue to be efficient. This year I'm in the top 5, and this is one of my best seasons. I hope I can confirm that during the playoffs to go as far as possible.

In your season, you may notice your number of assists is up, is it the symbol of your new leadership on the team?
Yes and no. Yes, because statistically, I have never been higher. But on the other hand, I'm not surprised because I get more the ball. What was our strength in San Antonio is that the ball was often inside with Tim Duncan. And then, it was me or Manu Ginobili who had the ball. I had fewer opportunities to make assists. There this year Manu misses 35 games, so I get more the ball and my assists are up. My two best seasons in passing are when Manu is injured. So I think it's a mix of both. I progressed in my way to play the game, but I also have the ball more in his hands.

You are now the main player for the Spurs, was your experience in the french team able to help you in terms of leadership?
I've never taken the lead with it, to know who is the most important player of the "Big Three". If one of the three of us is not playing at his level, you will never win the title. To me, we are all get together, we are a team, we try to do everything to win within the team. Then, my experience with the Blues can help me to fulfill these responsibilities. But this is not the first time I have pressure to go up to the title.

During the lockout, you played two months with the Asvel to launch this excellent season, will you ask your coach to do the same next season?(Laughter) It's true that Pop was very happy with my performance in France. He told it to me, and before the season with the Spurs, he wanted me to play like that, to take the leadership. It's funny because he had followed all my games. He was so bored that he looked even Pro A games during the lockout ... My experiences with the France team and Asvel, it really helped me to perform well early in the season.

Finally, one talk about the possible arrivals of Nicolas Batum and Nando De Colo to the Spurs next season, what do you think?
I know that the Spurs have always liked Nicolas. They tried to draft him. But, is it going to be? It will depend on many things because we have many good players on our team. For Nando, the Spurs have his rights. I know they have talks to make him come next year, so we'll see.

Legacy
04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
:clap Thanks for the full translation.

GSH
04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Maybe both stories are right. Tim and Tony were going to be flying back anyway. Tony wanted to get back earlier, for some reason, and didn't want anyone saying, "Why don't you just wait for the jet?". So he says that he'll catch a commercial flight, and go by to let Dr. Schmidt have a look at his shoulder, that's had some tendonitits. Somebody heard it, and made too much out of it.

It's plausible. People come up with excuses to do things they want to do all the time. And people mess up stories when they re-tell them, all the time. Not saying that's what happened, but it's possible. CC may have been telling the complete truth, as far as what he was told.

DBMethos
04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Tony's going to destroy mofos in these playoffs. I can feel it.

Bruno
04-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I've like a lot what TP is saying before the playoffs. His best quote, that isn't in this article is:

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/une_sport_detail_-NBA.-Tony-Parker-Le-titre-passera-par-la-defense_3638-2071492_actu.Htm

What is the key for a Spurs title?

Our defense. If we play good defense, we'll win the title but if we can't play soem defense, we will go nowhere. We will be like the old time Phoenix Suns that scored 120 points per game but didn't win when it mattered. We possibly have never had such a talented offensive team but we aren't as good defensively as when we won NBA titles. Even if we can get back only half the defense we had when we won these titles, wee will have a great shot because our offense is way better than the one we had when we won these 3 titles. Titles are won on the defensive end.

DBMethos
04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I've like a lot what TP is saying before the playoffs. His best quote, that isn't in this article is:

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/une_sport_detail_-NBA.-Tony-Parker-Le-titre-passera-par-la-defense_3638-2071492_actu.Htm

Our defense. If we play good defense, we'll win the title but if we can't play soem defense, we will go nowhere. We will be like the old time Phoenix Suns that scored 120 points per game but didn't win when it mattered. We possibly have never had such a talented offensive team but we aren't as good defensively as when we won NBA titles. Even if we can get back only half the defense we had when we won these titles, wee will have a great shot because our offense is way better than the one we had when we won these 3 titles. Titles are won on the defensive end.

Awesome quote, thanks Bruno.
These boys are ready. :hungry:

DPG21920
04-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I love TP interviews. Easily the best in the league.

EVAY
04-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I notice that he also pointed out that his assist numbers have gone up this year because the offense is going through him, rather than through Tim, which it did for so many years, or through Manu, because he was out for so many games this year.

I hope that people remember that reality (and Timvp, this means you, too )if Tony has fewer assists in the playoffs because Pop starts calling 4 down or Manu is bringing the ball up. Tony will do what the team needs when the team needs it,imo...regardless of what that does to his stats.

SpursFan0728
04-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the translation.

Glad to hear Tony's dedication on Defense and he is damn right. We ain't going anywhere without it.

Venti Quattro
04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
So what was the lengthy thread about TP getting injured for?

JazzFanz69
04-28-2012, 10:01 AM
His butt is going to be hurt after the Jazz tear dat ass up.

mVp
04-28-2012, 10:02 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3098ob3c81r2y10t.jpg

Slutter McGee
04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
"Our team has always been based on the collective"

Damn Commie

Slutter McGee

Brazil
04-28-2012, 10:43 AM

:tu

I hope Pop is also in this spirit

ElNono
04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
So does he still think the Spurs have no shot, like he said before the season started? :stirpot:

timvp
04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Great interviews. Thx for translations.

You are now the main player for the Spurs, was your experience in the french team able to help you in terms of leadership?
I've never taken the lead with it, to know who is the most important player of the "Big Three". If one of the three of us is not playing at his level, you will never win the title. To me, we are all get together, we are a team, we try to do everything to win within the team. Then, my experience with the Blues can help me to fulfill these responsibilities. But this is not the first time I have pressure to go up to the title.

Great answer to a difficult question, tbh.

ducks
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
that was last season not this season

pgardn
04-28-2012, 01:03 PM
So does he still think the Spurs have no shot, like he said before the season started? :stirpot:

That was before the Jefferson exit. He had to feel good about the upgrade. Then Diaw... and I dont think anyone could have predicted Leonard would be so significant.

The team he did have would not have won. Now at least we have a chance.

Still not a great thing to say to the press though.

K-State Spur
04-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Not an unreasonable stance to think the window closed last year. Most of us on here who were in favor of keeping the team together felt that way because we'd like to see them go out on their own terms and that they could still be a playoff team for 2-3 years to come as they aged their way into complete irrelevance.

Kawhi being a productive rookie on a championship caliber team + Green's emergence + Tim turning back the clock 5 years ago + getting Jax back and getting rid of RJ's contract in one swipe + adding Diaw for pennies + Splitter being one of the most productive per minute bigs in the league = not a reasonable combination. ...but it has happened.

dbreiden83080
04-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Interesting about Timmy's knee. This is it for Tim.. One last big postseason. One last one..

Blake
04-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Tony is thirsty. My source says he was spotted at Sonic happy hour. You'll just have to trust me.

ThePop
04-28-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/120428_parker

From today

therealtruth
04-28-2012, 03:26 PM
The Spurs improved offense means they don't have to hold teams under 90 but they will want to keep teams to around 95. They need to continue to play their game and enforce their higher pace and score at least 100. As last year showed the defense isn't good enough to consistently win low scoring games. (This year they've gotten better defensively because of better defenders playing more but it hasn't been a focus.)

Legacy
04-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Excellent answer.

CosmicCowboy
04-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear it. I was as worried as you guys. With CIA Pop I still won't be 110% confident till the game actually starts tomorrow and Tony tears it up.

Embedded
05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Conspiracy theorists might wonder if this was a ploy to affect the betting odds. Just sayin'. :flag: