PDA

View Full Version : Diaw starting?

ElNono
04-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Form Buck's article (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/04/28/punctuation-coming-to-popovich%E2%80%99s-career/)...

So they say they are going to stick with what they have been doing. They like the dynamic. They will start Boris Diaw today, and from there, Popovich will react to what he sees.

Blake
04-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Makes the most sense, imo

hooperflash
04-29-2012, 01:26 AM
he's proven to be a terrific defender. he'll probably be in the game for a few minutes before they play someone taller (Tiago) :D

ElNono
04-29-2012, 01:27 AM
tbh, this is actually a series where I think Blair might actually be helpful... but I've been warming up to Diaw the last week or so...

T Park
04-29-2012, 01:28 AM
He started against Portland in a way that pop played at the beginning that game with his regular playoff like rotations it seemed.

Diaw started, Tiago first big off the bench.

T Park
04-29-2012, 01:28 AM
tbh, this is actually a series where I think Blair might actually be helpful... but I've been warming up to Diaw the last week or so...

I would only play Blair in place of a struggling Bonner.

ElNono
04-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Believe it or not, outside of Atlanta, who we played only once, Blair actually has his highest ppg average (15) this season against Utah... he was also good for 7.3 rpg... wouldn't surprise me to see him out there if the Spurs manage to get an early lead.

Blake
04-29-2012, 01:32 AM
I would only play Blair if there is an injury or a blowout.

TheSkeptic
04-29-2012, 01:32 AM

No way. The playoffs are for people who can execute and play under control. Whether it's the Jazz or the Lakers I don't want to see Blair on the floor unless it's a blow-out (for us). At least Diaw should be able to keep Millsap from getting into a rhythm in the first quarter...

Paranoid Pop
04-29-2012, 01:33 AM
It's an obvious choice tbh, Boris has been beasting and Millsap is undersized.

The big questions are :

- can he stay out of foul trouble?

- what do we do vs. the Big lineup? Do we stay small with Boris on Favors or do we match with TIm/Tiago and does Boris plays the 3 then?

TE
04-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Makes the most sense, imo

thats the problem :pop:

ElNono
04-29-2012, 01:38 AM
I still think the "big" lineup is a lot of smoke and mirrors... it's basically an undersized Millsap playing the 3... if Leonard can't check him, throw somebody a bit more physical at him, like Jack... Millsap isn't stronger than Artest... And that should be the end of that.

therealtruth
04-29-2012, 01:46 AM
No way. The playoffs are for people who can execute and play under control. Whether it's the Jazz or the Lakers I don't want to see Blair on the floor unless it's a blow-out (for us). At least Diaw should be able to keep Millsap from getting into a rhythm in the first quarter...

I agree for all the points Blair scores he weakens the defense and makes too many mistakes. The playoffs are all about defense and limiting mistakes.

therealtruth
04-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Millsap has seriously outplayed Artest while at the three position. We saw this last year.

In fact, when the Jazz experimented with this last season, Ron Artest was the best player that this experiment worked against. Millsap and his ~250 pound frame makes for a strong dude. Im more worried about the more agile-type SF, than someone like SJax IMO. If Kawhi can stay out of foul trouble, I see him as being more effective against Sap.

I agree both Kawhi and SJax don't really have the bulk to challenge Artest or Millsap in the post.

ElNono
04-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Millsap has seriously outplayed Artest while at the three position. We saw this last year.

In fact, when the Jazz experimented with this last season, Ron Artest was the best player that this experiment worked against. Millsap and his ~250 pound frame makes for a strong dude. Im more worried about the more agile-type SF, than someone like SJax IMO. If Kawhi can stay out of foul trouble, I see him as being more effective against Sap.

Millsap does his damage inside... if he wants to shoot jumpers, then he'll be more than welcome to do so, seeing his percentage drops well below 40% outside the paint.

Now in order to get there, he's going to have to post up or get there through the usual Jazz back screen plays. I can see him backing up Kawhi, I'm not nearly as sure he can pull the same against Jack.

ElNono
04-29-2012, 01:49 AM
I agree both Kawhi and SJax don't really have the bulk to challenge Artest or Millsap in the post.

Actually, Jack more than held his own wrestling Artest the last two games and making him a non-threat inside.

TheSkeptic
04-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Actually, Jack more than held his own wrestling Artest the last two games and making him a non-threat inside.

I agree with this but my thing is that Millsap is a better offensive player than Artest imo. Theoretically I would expect Jax to do better when being posted up and Leonard to do better when being faced up but if Millsap is that good at drawing fouls this line-up could end up being more of a handful than we expect.

Not so much of a problem that we lose the series or anything but definitely an issue to keep an eye on anyway. I'm going to refrain from deciding anything either way until after the game though.

ElNono
04-29-2012, 02:13 AM
I agree with this but my thing is that Millsap is a better offensive player than Artest imo. Theoretically I would expect Jax to do better when being posted up and Leonard to do better when being faced up but if Millsap is that good at drawing fouls this line-up could end up being more of a handful than we expect.

Not so much of a problem that we lose the series or anything but definitely an issue to keep an eye on anyway. I'm going to refrain from deciding anything either way until after the game though.

If the strategy is "drawing fouls", then good luck. The Spurs are pretty good at not doing that. There's also arguably poor spacing with such a lineup unless you really move Jefferson and Favors fairly away from the post. In which case, there's no reason for whoever is guarding Favors not to go help.

As timvp said, shut down the paint, and make them beat you from outside.

TheSkeptic
04-29-2012, 02:20 AM
If the strategy is "drawing fouls", then good luck. The Spurs are pretty good at not doing that. There's also arguably poor spacing with such a lineup unless you really move Jefferson and Favors fairly away from the post. In which case, there's no reason for whoever is guarding Favors not to go help.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all convinced that it'll be a big deal since they're just not as good as our team. However the two factors that'll determine how far they go with that particular line-up, imo, are Favors as a defender on the pick and roll and whether Millsap can be contained by our defense. If either aspect fails (which I think is likely) then we'll roll that line-up. If Millsap is as good as advertised at drawing fouls then it could end up becoming a (minor) concern though.

I fully expect it to work out roughly like what you and Timvp are saying though. I'm just not going to fully write it off until after we've seen it at work because I'm a stickler like that. :D

ElNono
04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all convinced that it'll be a big deal since they're just not as good as our team. However the two factors that'll determine how far they go with that particular line-up, imo, are Favors as a defender on the pick and roll and whether Millsap can be contained by our defense. If either aspect fails (which I think is likely) then we'll roll that line-up. If Millsap is as good as advertised at drawing fouls then it could end up becoming a (minor) concern though.

I fully expect it to work out roughly like what you and Timvp are saying though. I'm just not going to fully write it off until after we've seen it at work because I'm a stickler like that. :D

Utah deserves respect because they don't quit and they work hard. The only way the Spurs can be in trouble is if we take them lightly, or stop playing after getting a lead, etc. That said, after 8 last year and the departure of a pussy like RJ, I fully expect the Spurs to come out looking for blood.

TheSkeptic
04-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Utah deserves respect because they don't quit and they work hard. The only way the Spurs can be in trouble is if we take them lightly, or stop playing after getting a lead, etc. That said, after 8 last year and the departure of a pussy like RJ, I fully expect the Spurs to come out looking for blood.

Then we don't disagree. I've just never actually watched that line-up so I'm giving Utah a puncher's chance with the 3 bigs for now. The early start could see the Spurs starting off a little bit slow imo but I think the guys will play hard and then really get going after the first quarter.

racm
04-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Didn't Diaw also start in the last two games against Utah?

therealtruth
04-29-2012, 04:09 AM

Millsap has a 3pt shot even though he hasn't used it much in his NBA career. He won a game in Miami last year by heating up from deep.

100%duncan
04-29-2012, 04:16 AM
thats the problem :pop:

:lmao

Wild Cobra Kai
04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Millsap has a 3pt shot even though he hasn't used it much in his NBA career. He won a game in Miami last year by heating up from deep.
Another case of "please do that", along with moving Jefferson out so he can post up. If it were a legit, sustainable weapon, he'd be using it. Since it isn't, they're doing you a favor by using it in the playoffs.

Darkwaters
04-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I still think the "big" lineup is a lot of smoke and mirrors... it's basically an undersized Millsap playing the 3... if Leonard can't check him, throw somebody a bit more physical at him, like Jack... Millsap isn't stronger than Artest... And that should be the end of that.

Jackson is the answer. I have a lot of faith in him and love having him on the floor.

ElNono
04-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Duncan has a 3 point shot too as we all know... if Millsap is going to sit in the perimeter and shoot 3's, the Spurs will be more than happy to accommodate him.

therealtruth
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Duncan has a 3 point shot too as we all know... if Millsap is going to sit in the perimeter and shoot 3's, the Spurs will be more than happy to accommodate him.

I bring it up because we all remember how Randolph's 3 burned us. If it's a close game something like that could be huge.

TJastal
04-29-2012, 12:38 PM

This. Please, God, no Blair unless the game is well under control.