PDA

View Full Version : Playoff roster

Spurs151
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Is there a deadline to add a player on the roster as inactive. Heard byars was released so didn't know if they could add someone

Obstructed_View
04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Unless a player was under an NBA contract after the deadline, it's all good. Don't they have a full roster atm?

Spurs151
04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Unless a player was under an NBA contract after the deadline, it's all good. Don't they have a full roster atm?

They had a full roster with byars, but with him released that makes 14.

Arcadian
04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
But isn't the maximum 12 players in the active roster, plus 3 reserves? So if anything we have too many players. One of Blair, Anderson, or Mills would have to be placed on the IR. It appears to be Mills.

Spurs151
04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
That's why I stated inactive. 12 dressed, and 3 reserved (inactive)

tesseractive
04-29-2012, 02:04 PM
But isn't the maximum 12 players in the active roster, plus 3 reserves? So if anything we have too many players. One of Blair, Anderson, or Mills would have to be placed on the IR. It appears to be Mills.

Is it still 12 for the playoffs? We often used 13 during the regular season.

Arcadian
04-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Is it still 12 for the playoffs? We often used 13 during the regular season.

I don't know, but I would think so. That's why I made the point, because we would have one too many players unless Mills or Anderson is made inactive.

But it appears that both the Spurs and Jazz have 13 players listed in the box score. So was there some kind of rule change, allowing 13 players now?

Bruno
04-29-2012, 02:47 PM
In the past, teams had to give a playoffs roster at the end of the season, but they can now change the active roster before each playoffs game. Saying that, I don't know if it's allowed to sign a new player now. As far as I know, it has never been done. If it's allowed, it would make sense for Spurs to waive Byars and sign Dawson, especially with Splitter injury.

Spurs played with 13 players against Jazz.

Spurs151
04-29-2012, 02:54 PM
In the past, teams had to give a playoffs roster at the end of the season, but they can now change the active roster before each playoffs game. Saying that, I don't know if it's allowed to sign a new player now. As far as I know, it has never been done. If it's allowed, it would make sense for Spurs to waive Byars and sign Dawson, especially with Splitter injury.

Spurs played with 13 players against Jazz.
Cool. That's what I was asking because byars was waived but they haven't announced it. Dawson was initially signing Tuesday but due to his concussion they couldnt sign him. Either Dawson or wright would be good

Bruno
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
That's what I was asking because byars was waived but they haven't announced it. Dawson was initially signing Tuesday but due to his concussion they couldnt sign him.

Good to know.

The Byars signing was weird and difficult to explain but with what you're saying it suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Spurs were in a hurry to add a body for the last two games. Byars was in shape since he played the D-League semifinal and he was close enough to Phoenix to be in time for the game against Suns.

Luxic
04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Deadline for playoff roster to be set was Friday 27th, 3 pm ET (http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html). Even if we released Byars, we are not allowed to sign anyone else now and have to stick with the remaining 14.

Of course, we can select the 13 active players on a game-by-game basis, but the inactive 14th is currently Cory Joseph, so...

Bruno
04-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Deadline for playoff roster to be set was Friday 27th, 3 pm ET (http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html). Even if we released Byars, we are not allowed to sign anyone else now and have to stick with the remaining 14.

Of course, we can select the 13 active players on a game-by-game basis, but the inactive 14th is currently Cory Joseph, so...

Nice find. :tu
I wasn't sure they kept these restrictions after they removed the active playoffs roster rule.

And yeah, cutting Byars making little sense for Spurs with these rules.