PDA

View Full Version : The official coach Potato Head is underrated thread.

midnightpulp
05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
So far midnight be right about dat Potato Head! I told everyone before the playoffs started that you couldn't fairly judge him by regular season success (or lack there of) and would have to wait until the post-season to see his coaching style prove itself.

And no, this ain't any kind of bullshit "jinx" thread. I sincerely believe Mike Brown is an underrated coach.

I'll take my leave now, but I'll be sure to return and bump this thread later tonight when the 104 points-per-game Nuggets have 85-95 points late in the 4th as the bean3r-centric Staples Center crowd chants, "We want tacos!"

Giuseppe
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Hell, you can't fuckin' lose doin' it like this.

Ya chickenshit, you.

William Hung
05-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I was on the Potato Head bandwagon but now I liken the situation to a Barry Switzer deal. He inherited a good team that was capable of winning without micro-management. His performance should be fully evaluated after the playoffs are over imo

Ryan Fitzpatrick
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm still not a fan, but I'll maintain what I've said all year--he doesn't make or break the Lakers. He's just a coach.

ElNono
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
He's a below average coach. He has only coached teams with league-best talent in them (Lebron, Bynum) and has nothing to show for it. There's probably a dozen or more better coaches than him in the league.

baseline bum
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
His coaching style was to burn Kobe out.

pass1st
05-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I said it before, Potato Head is a players coach, his assistants do the work tbh

Nathan89
05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
uh... after one game against denver? Really? Not even going to wait for game-to-game adjustments by both sides.

IronMaxipad
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GGEGM.jpg

Sportcamper
05-01-2012, 02:43 PM
uh... after one game against denver?
Exactly...:lol

Brown is a nice guy…Jim Buss likes him....The Lakers have had Zen Master all these years…Brown just needs to let Kobe, Pau & Bynum play like they have already been taught & let Kobe diagram the plays in crunch time….

Giuseppe
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
His coaching style was to burn Kobe out.

I see during my absence you're still a complete asshole.

midnightpulp
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
uh... after one game against denver? Really? Not even going to win for game-to-game adjustments by both sides.

Yep.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
midnight, why are you going nuts with these assertions after each team has played like 1 playoff game?

midnightpulp
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Hell, you can't fuckin' lose doin' it like this.

Ya chickenshit, you.

You've no room. You said Jackson and Diaw's arrival would be a boon to the Spurs, so you can't lose if they help Duncan catch Kobe, or if they completely fail. You're safe either way.

And just like you "called" Barea last year, I'm calling Brown.

blah blah blah
05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
He's had his good and bad moments this year.

There's no question he's improved us defensively over last season. Our defensive rotations have been great as opposed to last year we'd just get lazy and hope for the missed jumpshot so Drew and Gasol would get the rebound.

But he's been unable to hold guys like Bynum/Kobe/Artest in check the way Phil did.

midnightpulp
05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
midnight, why are you going nuts with these assertions after each team has played like 1 playoff game?

There's no fun in asserting things after the fact, like waiting until the Lakers sweep Denver or upset the Thunder (which I predict) and then coming on here and saying, "I told you so" when I actually didn't. Besides, I've been saying all year that Brown would overachieve in the playoffs.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Tbh there was plenty of fun telling Cully "I told you so" after the Suns traded Hedo :lmao

Giuseppe
05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Tbh there was plenty of fun telling Cully "I told you so" after the Suns traded Hedo :lmao

You're O & 43, I mean O & 44!!! and you ain't goin' to Minnisota. Your mother & I talked it over. No. This Summer we're going to Europe and your Uncle Thread is coming to take care of you and teach you how to wrestle.

midnightpulp
05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
So far midnight be right about dat Potato Head! I told everyone before the playoffs started that you couldn't fairly judge him by regular season success (or lack there of) and would have to wait until the post-season to see his coaching style prove itself.

And no, this ain't any kind of bullshit "jinx" thread. I sincerely believe Mike Brown is an underrated coach.

I'll take my leave now, but I'll be sure to return and bump this thread later tonight when the 104 points-per-game Nuggets have 85-95 points late in the 4th as the bean3r-centric Staples Center crowd chants, "We want tacos!"

I was right. Unfortunately. Yeah, Brown's offense is rudimentary, but you don't you need complex offensive system when you have a dominating big and a committed defense. Brown figured out OKC after Game 1 and the Thunder have been struggling to score since.

Lakers probably still lose this series (gonna be 2-2 after tonight). The Thunder are simply too young, deep, and athletic, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Lakers upset. Regardless, even the fact the Lakers made this series is a testament to Brown's defensive gameplanning and shows you can't judge Brown by the regular season.

I told you he would overachieve in the playoffs, and going 6-7 games with this Thunder squad is indeed that.

ElNono
05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
He's a below average coach.

midnightpulp
05-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Nono wrong about dat Potatohead.

You were right about dem Grizzlies. But you wrong here, my man.

pgardn
05-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I was right. Unfortunately. Yeah, Brown's offense is rudimentary, but you don't you need complex offensive system when you have a dominating big and a committed defense. Brown figured out OKC after Game 1 and the Thunder have been struggling to score since.

Lakers probably still lose this series (gonna be 2-2 after tonight). The Thunder are simply too young, deep, and athletic, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Lakers upset. Regardless, even the fact the Lakers made this series is a testament to Brown's defensive gameplanning and shows you can't judge Brown by the regular season.

I told you he would overachieve in the playoffs, and going 6-7 games with this Thunder squad is indeed that.

There is not much to figure out with the Thunder. The try to get isolated and take you one on one. Last in assists, most turnovers. They live by their athletic nature. It does not take a genius to see this. Harden is the only guy you have to worry about actually making a good pass. Their best passing occurs in getting the ball into the open court. They make very few team plays in the half court set.

The only reason the Thunder are the least bit interesting is individual talent. Otherwise its very ugly NBA Highlight commercial basketball. Serge swats the ball nine rows up, Westbrook blow by dunk, Durant takes on three defenders and scores. Harden is starting to get caught up in the individual play as well.

midnightpulp
05-19-2012, 11:03 PM
There is not much to figure out with the Thunder. The try to get isolated and take you one on one. Last in assists, most turnovers. They live by their athletic nature. It does not take a genius to see this. Harden is the only guy you have to worry about actually making a good pass. Their best passing occurs in getting the ball into the open court. They make very few team plays in the half court set.

The only reason the Thunder are the least bit interesting is individual talent. Otherwise its very ugly NBA Highlight commercial basketball. Serge swats the ball nine rows up, Westbrook blow by dunk, Durant takes on three defenders and scores. Harden is starting to get caught up in the individual play as well.

Defending a group of athletic freaks is easier in theory than in practice, despite the ineffectiveness of their offensive system. You need great team defense and quick rotations to slow down a team like the Thunder. Brown gets credit for that.

pgardn
05-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Defending a group of athletic freaks is easier in theory than in practice, despite the ineffectiveness of their offensive system. You need great team defense and quick rotations to slow down a team like the Thunder. Brown gets credit for that.

It is very difficult.

But the Lakers have the individual talent to do it. They clog the paint better than any team. So you can run at their shooters. A huge difference in these games is the Lakers are not making near as many open court turnovers. The Thunder have no room. I dont see it as any defensive genius. You hope they miss if the Thunder happen to set good screens outside, and you take care of the ball.

The individual brilliance that even allows the Thunder to get off some of those horrible shots, you cant worry about. They wont make them all. If they do happen to have a good night, you hope they cant do it again.

ElNono
05-20-2012, 12:16 AM
ElNono right bout coach potatohead :hat

midnightpulp
05-20-2012, 12:26 AM
ElNono right bout coach potatohead :hat

I ain't conceding it, homie. If that boy Kobe decides to play team ball down the stretch in games 2 and 4, this series is 3-1 Lakers.

Though you can say it's on Brown for not controlling Kobe. But who can outside of the Big Chief?

ElNono
05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
I ain't conceding it, homie. If that boy Kobe decides to play team ball down the stretch in games 2 and 4, this series is 3-1 Lakers.

Though you can say it's on Brown for not controlling Kobe. But who can outside of the Big Chief?

What you're telling me is that Kobe is effectively the coach, which speaks volumes about Mik:lol Br:lolwn

Reck
05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Potato head killed Bynum's legs tonight by playing him a shit ton of minutes. Came empty when it mattered.

Banzai
05-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Shitty coach tbh.

midnightpulp
05-20-2012, 12:55 AM
What you're telling me is that Kobe is effectively the coach, which speaks volumes about Mik:lol Br:lolwn

Dell Harris couldn't control him. Rudy T couldn't control him. Hamblen couldn't control him. And Jackson lost control of him in '03 and '04, leading him to write that tell all book in which he called him "uncoachable."

ducks
05-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Potato head killed Bynum's legs tonight by playing him a shit ton of minutes. Came empty when it mattered.

kobe not going to the bigs in the second half was why they lost
4 field goal attempts for andrew in second half

ElNono
05-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Dell Harris couldn't control him. Rudy T couldn't control him. Hamblen couldn't control him. And Jackson lost control of him in '03 and '04, leading him to write that tell all book in which he called him "uncoachable."

But after last season's epic fail, that's exactly why you go get a coach that can keep him in check. Both you and I knew going in Mik:lol Br:lolwn wasn't it.

And frankly, it's more than just that. Plays off of timeout are nonexistent. Badly managed timeouts, and minutes. Kids like goudelock could be developed a bit more by now, instead sticking with Blake, a mediocre player no matter how you look at it. Today, OKC started to surge when KD started guarding Kobe, and MB just sat there and kept running the same Kobe's ISOs (except for one single play for Bynum).

midnightpulp
05-20-2012, 01:15 AM
But after last season's epic fail, that's exactly why you go get a coach that can keep him in check. Both you and I knew going in Mik:lol Br:lolwn wasn't it.

And frankly, it's more than just that. Plays off of timeout are nonexistent. Badly managed timeouts, and minutes. Kids like goudelock could be developed a bit more by now, instead sticking with Blake, a mediocre player no matter how you look at it. Today, OKC started to surge when KD started guarding Kobe, and MB just sat there and kept running the same Kobe's ISOs (except for one single play for Bynum).

All right. Fuck it. I concede.

Fuckin' Kobe choking making me look like a dumbshit for backing Potatohead.

ElNono
05-20-2012, 01:15 AM
All right. Fuck it. I concede.

Fuckin' Kobe choking making me look like a dumbshit for backing Potatohead.

:lol:toast

Banzai
05-20-2012, 01:38 AM
:-(::::