PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness claims a victim on Romney's staff

RandomGuy
05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Richard Grenell, the openly gay spokesman recently hired to sharpen the foreign policy message of Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign, has resigned in the wake of a full-court press by anti-gay conservatives.

In a statement obtained by Right Turn, Grenell says:

I have decided to resign from the Romney campaign as the Foreign Policy and National Security Spokesman. While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama’s foreign policy failures and weak leadership on the world stage, my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign. I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team.
According to sources familiar with the situation, Grenell decided to resign after being kept under wraps during a time when national security issues, including the president’s ad concerning Osama bin Laden, had emerged front and center in the campaign

It is not politically correct to be gay in the Republican party, it would appear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/exclusive-richard-grenell-hounded-from-romney-campaign-by-anti-gay-conservatives/2012/05/01/gIQAccGcuT_blog.html

Wild Cobra
05-02-2012, 02:50 AM
It is not politically correct to be gay in the Republican party, it would appear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/exclusive-richard-grenell-hounded-from-romney-campaign-by-anti-gay-conservatives/2012/05/01/gIQAccGcuT_blog.html
Most republicans and conservatives don't have a problem with gays. However, most have a problem with the leftist gay agenda. there is a difference. I think it's silly to leave over a small handful who care about such things.

boutons_deux
05-02-2012, 05:28 AM
"republicans and conservatives don't have a problem with gays"

privately, could be true, but publicly, esp politicians, they must violently, hatefully anti-gay or get pilloried and driven out by the Bible-thumping, "Christian" Taleban bullies, exactly the same way unelected bully Norquist enforces his anti-tax pledge.

boutons_deux
05-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Hate group AFA gloating over self-deportation of Gecko's gay aide.

AFA’s Bryan Fischer Declares ‘Huge Win’ Over Romney Spokesperson’s Resignation

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/01/474942/afas-bryan-fischer-declares-huge-win-over-romney-spokespersons-resignation/

boutons_deux
05-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Homophobic? Maybe You're Gay

WHY are political and religious figures who campaign against gay rights so often implicated in sexual encounters with same-sex partners?

In recent years, Ted Haggard, an evangelical leader who preached that homosexuality was a sin, resigned after a scandal involving a former male prostitute; Larry Craig, a United States senator who opposed including sexual orientation in hate-crime legislation, was arrested on suspicion of lewd conduct in a men's bathroom; and Glenn Murphy Jr., a leader of the Young Republican National Convention and an opponent of same-sex marriage, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge after being accused of sexually assaulting another man.

One theory is that homosexual urges, when repressed out of shame or fear, can be expressed as homophobia. Freud famously called this process a "reaction formation" - the angry battle against the outward symbol of feelings that are inwardly being stifled. Even Mr. Haggard seemed to endorse this idea when, apologizing after his scandal for his anti-gay rhetoric, he said, "I think I was partially so vehement because of my own war."

It's a compelling theory - and now there is scientific reason to believe it. In this month's issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, we and our fellow researchers provide empirical evidence that homophobia can result, at least in part, from the suppression of same-sex desire.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=944155&f=28&sub=Sunday

Being a homophobe could also be nothing but a career/income choice, pandering to the gay-hatin Bible-thumpers who feel so Christ-like and self-righteous financing the homophobes.

CuckingFunt
05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Most republicans and conservatives don't have a problem with gays. However, most have a problem with the leftist gay agenda. there is a difference. I think it's silly to leave over a small handful who care about such things.

Most republicans and conservatives have a problem with the thing they invented as a reason to justify the problems they have with gays?

Crazy.

vy65
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Somewhat related

For example, take my friend Judith Butler. Of course from time to time, she pays lip service to some kind of anticapitalism, but it’s totally abstract, what it’s basically saying is just how lesbians and other oppressed sexual minorities should perceive their situation not as the assertion of some kind of substantial sexual identity, but as constructing an identity which is contingent, which means that also the so-called straight normal sexuality is contingent, and everybody is constructed in a contingent way, and so on, and in this way, nobody should be excluded. There is no big line between normality identity and multiple roles. The problem I see here is that there is nothing inherently anticapitalist in this logic. But even worse is that what this kind of politically correct struggling for tolerance and so on advocates is basically not only not in conflict with the modern tendencies of global capitalism, but it fits perfectly. What I think is that today’s capitalism thrives on differences. I mean even naïve positivist psychologists propose to describe today’s subjectivity in terms like multiple subject, fixed-identity subject, a subject who constantly reinvents itself, and so on. So my big problem with this is the painting of the enemy as some kind of self-identified stable substantial patriarch to which these multiple identities and constant reinventing should be opposed. I think that this is a false problem; I am not impressed by this problem. I think that this is a certain logic, totally within the framework of today’s capitalism, where again, capitalism, in order to reproduce itself, to function in today’s condition of consumption society, the crazy dynamics of the market, no longer needs or can function with the traditional fixed patriarchal subject. It needs a subject constantly reinventing himself.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200407/?read=interview_zizek

George Gervin's Afro
05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Most republicans and conservatives don't have a problem with gays.

Yes they do

However, most have a problem with the leftist gay agenda. there is a difference.

Gays people want the same benefits of hetrosexual people. The right says they don't deserve it. There is nothing leftist about wanting equal rights.

I think it's silly to leave over a small handful who care about such things.

So why do you constantly pull a quote out of the air by some random person and attribute it to liberals?

Blake
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Most republicans and conservatives don't have a problem with gays. However, most have a problem with the leftist gay agenda. there is a difference.

What is the difference

boutons_deux
05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Log Cabin Repugs (they say Abe Lincoln was gay so they use his famous log cabin as their name) have Repug/conservative agenda. iow, LGBT aren't monolithically progressive.

coyotes_geek
05-02-2012, 10:05 AM
lol "leftist gay agenda".

leemajors
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
lol "leftist gay agenda".

yeah i am eagerly awaiting elaboration on this. i would be in favor of a quick nonsensical shortening like "gaygenda" but that may be confusing.

Fabbs
05-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Log Cabin Repugs (they say Abe Lincoln was gay so they use his famous log cabin as their name) have Repug/conservative agenda. iow, LGBT aren't monolithically progressive.
American Dad episode where Greg is a Log Cabin Repug to the terror of his gaymate Terry. Stan goes to the Repug Convention and ends up speaking on behalf of gay Repugs. :rollin

Fabbs
05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Seems like Romney is attempting to play both sides of the tortilla.
No problem with Grenells gayness then why not let him speak out and continue on?

"I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team.
According to sources familiar with the situation, Grenell decided to resign after being kept under wraps during a time when national security issues, including the president’s ad concerning Osama bin Laden, had emerged front and center in the campaign."

boutons_deux
05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Gecko is anti-gay, as much as he is anti-woman.

RandomGuy
05-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Define the "leftist gay agenda".

clambake
05-02-2012, 06:06 PM
he would have scored some points by not accepting the guys resignation.

RandomGuy
05-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I think it's silly to leave over a small handful who care about such things.

http://avibesser.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/6/3/11638937/p39.pdf

Whether or not someone was conservative, can be used to predict attitudes towards homosexuality, after controlling for all other factors, and the prediction was that conservatives had less favorable views.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/art/r6a.gif (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/roots/overview.html) (click on picture to go to site)

When compared to those with more favorable attitudes toward lesbians and gay men, these studies have found that persons with negative attitudes:

1. are less likely to have had personal contact with lesbians or gay;
2. are less likely to report having engaged in homosexual behaviors, or to identify themselves as lesbian or gay;

3. are more likely to perceive their peers as manifesting negative attitudes, especially if the respondents are males;

4. are more likely to have resided in areas where negative attitudes are the norm (e.g., the midwestern and southern United States, the Canadian prairies, and in rural areas or small towns), especially during adolescence;

5. are likely to be older and less well educated;

6. are more likely to be religious, to attend church frequently, and to subscribe to a conservative religious ideology;

7. are more likely to express traditional, restrictive attitudes about sex roles;

8. are less permissive sexually or manifest more guilt or negativity about sexuality, although some researchers have not observed this pattern and others have reported a substantially reduced correlation with the effects of sex-role attitudes partialled out;

9. are more likely to manifest high levels of authoritarianism and related personality characteristics.

Sex differences in the direction and intensity of attitudes have been observed fairly consistently. It appears that heterosexuals tend to have more negative attitudes toward homosexuals of their own sex than of the opposite sex.

I don't think that it is a "small number" of people.

I don't think that this number of people is without influence in conservative politics, or aren't the ones making decisions.

Why do you whitewash or downplay things that make conservatives look bad?

Shouldn't you be concerned enough to address things like this a bit more honestly, and pragmatically?

RandomGuy
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
he would have scored some points by not accepting the guys resignation.

He would have scored some points with independents, but lost his base.

His base hates Obama so much, they might overlook such a thing, and it would possibly have been worth the risk.

spursncowboys
05-02-2012, 07:39 PM

well stated.

CuckingFunt
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
well stated.

Except, not at all.

spursncowboys
05-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Except, not at all.

Very good trolling.

CuckingFunt
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Very good trolling.

Wild Cobra? Probably.

George Gervin's Afro
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
does anyone know what the 'leftist gay agenda' is?

TheSkeptic
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM

But that doesn't even make sense. Why not just allow gay marriage, compromise on the religious issues, and otherwise live and let live?

Between the deficit and the economy, don't Republicans/Democrats have bigger fish to fry right now anyway? (no offense)

jack sommerset
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
does anyone know what the 'leftist gay agenda' is?

I think I do. They want homosexuals to vote for the left because the republicans do not like homosexuals or any minority for that matter. Of course republicans do not feel his way. Like I said the other day, we were disappointed in you using a homosexual slur as a insult to another poster. You a very well known democrat on ST and you appear to have problems with the homosexuals or you would not have used that term "faggot" as a insult. But I forgive you. You are an emotional fellow and I want to think you were not thinking at the time(s). My point is not to embarrass you by showing your hyprocisy but im pointing out there are dems that use homosexual slurs as well. God bless

George Gervin's Afro
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I think I do. They want homosexuals to vote for the left because the republicans do not like homosexuals or any minority for that matter. Of course republicans do not feel his way. Like I said the other day, we were disappointed in you using a homosexual slur as a insult to another poster. You a very well known democrat on ST and you appear to have problems with the homosexuals or you would not have used that term "faggot" as a insult. But I forgive you. You are an emotional fellow and I want to think you were not thinking at the time(s). My point is not to embarrass you by showing your hyprocisy but im pointing out there are dems that use homosexual slurs as well. God bless

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196176

It is well documented jack that you will bring homosexuality and male gentialia in your posts on a regular basis..

what is the leftis gay agenda jack?

TeyshaBlue
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM

lol. I now work as an analyst for a major media corporation. I read a shit ton of really stupid stuff every day. That statement makes my top 5 list.:lol

boutons_deux
05-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Gecko scuppering the gay guy is sucking up to the "Christian" Bible-thumping haters who dictate Repug policies.

Wild Cobra
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
But that doesn't even make sense. Why not just allow gay marriage, compromise on the religious issues, and otherwise live and let live?

Between the deficit and the economy, don't Republicans/Democrats have bigger fish to fry right now anyway? (no offense)
Yes, there are more important things to worry about. Having someone who is gay on staff is a trivial thing.

Wild Cobra
05-03-2012, 02:01 PM
lol. I now work as an analyst for a major media corporation. I read a shit ton of really stupid stuff every day. That statement makes my top 5 list.:lol
Glad to oblige.

Major media....

Yep...

I can see how that isn't a very good statement for the normal audience of M$M's.

clambake
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Glad to oblige.

Major media....

Yep...

I can see how that isn't a very good statement for the normal audience of M$M's.

you mean it isn't a very accurate statement.

TeyshaBlue
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Honestly, I had no idea what the fuck he was trying to say.

English is apparently not his first language.

Blake
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Glad to oblige.

You shouldn't be. That was an awful straw man.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Eh, he could never say what the "leftist gay agenda" is.

Just another throwaway line.

Slutter McGee
05-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Its not really stupid at all. It is 3/4th correct. Reagan allowed the Republican Party to be hijacked by the religious right. In order to win that voting block, they had to appeal to fundamentalist morons. Hell, Goldwater was very pro-gay.

So the politicians preach the anti-gay rights message, knowing the have to in order to get elected, while a very large percentage of the Republican Party is not anti-gay at all, but accepts it because they don't want the country taken over by economic morons.

Its unfortunate but it happened. Eventually, as old people die, the fundy influence will decrease.

There is one thing about homosexuals though. More so than any other social group, they have a complete inability to think for themselves. Ironic considering their sexual orientation.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

jack sommerset
05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196176

It is well documented jack that you will bring homosexuality and male gentialia in your posts on a regular basis..

what is the leftis gay agenda jack?

I do.

I told you already.

God bless

boutons_deux
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Bryan Fischer: How Is Romney ‘Going To Stand Up To North Korea If He Can Be Pushed Around By A Yokel Like Me?’

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/05/04/478610/bryan-fischer-slams-romney/

leemajors
05-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Its not really stupid at all. It is 3/4th correct. Reagan allowed the Republican Party to be hijacked by the religious right. In order to win that voting block, they had to appeal to fundamentalist morons. Hell, Goldwater was very pro-gay.

So the politicians preach the anti-gay rights message, knowing the have to in order to get elected, while a very large percentage of the Republican Party is not anti-gay at all, but accepts it because they don't want the country taken over by economic morons.

Its unfortunate but it happened. Eventually, as old people die, the fundy influence will decrease.

There is one thing about homosexuals though. More so than any other social group, they have a complete inability to think for themselves. Ironic considering their sexual orientation.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

this is down there with the leftist gay agenda

ChumpDumper
05-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I told you already.Link.

God blessThrowaway line.

ElNono
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I think I do. They want homosexuals to vote for the left because the republicans do not like homosexuals or any minority for that matter. Of course republicans do not feel his way.

I'm sure situations like the OP reinforce that view.

jack sommerset
05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Link.

Throwaway line.

You're in the thread that has my specific answer to my brother George's question. One can only spend so much time communicated with you on any subject. I will pray for you that one day you will accept someone else's opinion and stop trying get people to agree with you in the annoying matter in which you do. This is not healthy my brother. Constantly arguing with people on the internets. One might come to the conclusion you have an addictive personality disorder. Im not saying this to hurt you, troll you, argue with you. I am saying this because you are my brother and I care . God bless

boutons_deux
05-05-2012, 12:29 PM
"Of course republicans do not feel his way."

Repug politicians MUST hate LGBT because the "Christian" haters dictate that position.

Now see Gecko groveling before the "Christian" haters by letting his gay guy go, then gay hater Fischer kicks Gecko in the teeth for being a pushover.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
They want homosexuals to vote for the left because [they think] the republicans do not like homosexuals or any minority for that matter.That's it?

:lol

OK, I accept your vacuous opinion as the best your feeble mind is able to produce.

And don't pretend to "care" when all you are trying to do is avoid actual discussion. It's insulting.

jack sommerset
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
That's it?

:lol

OK, I accept your vacuous opinion as the best your feeble mind is able to produce.

And don't pretend to "care" when all you are trying to do is avoid actual discussion. It's insulting.

I'm proud of you, brother! Try to cool it on insulting peeps you don't agree with. God bless

boutons_deux
05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/BayWindows1994.jpg

Romney’s slowness to comment amid the noise since Grenell’s resignation raises questions about his principles, as well as the quality and depth of his leadership. That’s what should concern us most in this sad affair. We should expect Romney to go further in making clear that issues of sexual orientation will have no bearing on any personnel decisions he makes, whether in his campaign or, should he be elected, in the administration he would lead.

The Romney campaign should have spoken up publicly in defense of Rick against the attacks over the past two weeks… This was an opportunity to send an important message that Mitt Romney wants everybody to get behind him and to support his campaign. They let that opportunity pass.

In 1994, Moderate Mitt Romney promised to co-sponsor a federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act — and claimed he’d be a better advocate for gay and lesbian citizens than Sen. Ted Kennedy. But by 2007, Severe Conservative Mitt Romney etch a sketched his position and no longer saw a need for a federal employment non-discrimination law.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/05/478699/gay-bush-ambassador-slams-romney-campaign-for-indifference-to-anti-gay-attacks-on-grenell/

======

Gecko's highest priority is himself as President. He'll take ANY position, then take the opposite position, to further himself.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm proud of you, brother! Try to cool it on insulting peeps you don't agree with. God blessYou should accept my opinion, hypocrite.