PDA

View Full Version : Was there really a parade scheduled for Thursday?

TNT21
06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
or was that something that Larry Brown made up to hype up his guys?? I don't understand why you would plan a parade when you haven't done jack shit against the defending champions. Maybe that's why the Spurs lost, they were counting their chicks before their eggs hatched. It just doesn't sound like something Pop would do. It just doesn't add up in my mind. Does anyone know the true story behind this??

Ishta
06-22-2005, 09:21 AM
It was a rumor...

samikeyp
06-22-2005, 09:22 AM
I never saw anything in the press. I remember in 2003 there was an announcement before Game 6 but nothing yesterday.

Mr. Peabody
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
or was that something that Larry Brown made up to hype up his guys?? I don't understand why you would plan a parade when you haven't done jack shit against the defending champions. Maybe that's why the Spurs lost, they were counting their chicks before their eggs hatched. It just doesn't sound like something Pop would do. It just doesn't add up in my mind. Does anyone know the true story behind this??

Even if there was a parade scheduled, it has nothing to do with Pop or the Spurs. Unless I am mistaken, and I may be, the parade is scheduled by the City of San Antonio and not the Spurs organization.
________
Head shop (http://headshop.net/)

wsdp
06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Even if there was a parade scheduled, it has nothing to do with Pop or the Spurs. Unless I am mistaken, and I may be, the parade is scheduled by the City of San Antonio and not the Spurs organization.

Store owners around the area supposedly had t-shirts in their stores and were ready to open their stores to sell them after the game ...

During Stoney and Wojo (Detroit's PM Drive sports talk radio show), they were practicing the trophy presentations for well over an hour... can't fake that - it was in the background while they were broadcasting courtside.

dcole50
06-22-2005, 09:33 AM
During Stoney and Wojo (Detroit's PM Drive sports talk radio show), they were practicing the trophy presentations for well over an hour... can't fake that - it was in the background while they were broadcasting courtside.

Obviously they were. If the Spurs had won, then were they supposed to perform the presentation without any practice?

What an idiotic source of motivation.

MadDog73
06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I guarantee right now BOTH Detroit and San Antonio have plan for what will happen if their teams win.

It's a huge event. You can't pull off celebrations like that without some pre-planning.

That said, it was a good move by Brown. Of course, they were still down by 1 with two minutes left....

Mr. Peabody
06-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Store owners around the area supposedly had t-shirts in their stores and were ready to open their stores to sell them after the game ...

So what are the store owners supposed to do, wait until the day after the Finals have been decided to order shirts? You are obviously not very business savy.

Every city with a team in the Spurs position does the same thing. Get off it.
________
Ocean View Condo Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

wsdp
06-22-2005, 09:50 AM
So what are the store owners supposed to do, wait until the day after the Finals have been decided to order shirts? You are obviously not very business savy.

Every city with a team in the Spurs position does the same thing. Get off it.

Well Mr. Peabody, I realize it's been a couple years since you've won so let me fill you in on how we did it last year...

NBA PROPERTIES (according to Detroit News 2-days after Game 5 clincher vs. Lakers) did not allow shirts to leave distributor's warehouses until 8:00 AM the day AFTER we beat the Lakers so most stores didn't even pop shirts and hats out of boxes until Noon the NEXT DAY.

Apparently they changed their M.O. this year.

fromswitzerland
06-22-2005, 09:53 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/columnists/stories/MYSA062205.01B.Clack.327de0e5.html

Check out the above, it's a link to the San Antonio paper that talks about the Thursday parade.

Mr. Peabody
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Well Mr. Peabody, I realize it's been a couple years since you've won so let me fill you in on how we did it last year...

NBA PROPERTIES (according to Detroit News 2-days after Game 5 clincher vs. Lakers) did not allow shirts to leave distributor's warehouses until 8:00 AM the day AFTER we beat the Lakers so most stores didn't even pop shirts and hats out of boxes until Noon the NEXT DAY.
Apparently they changed their M.O. this year.

Maybe NBA Properties was scared off by the riots that were taking place in Detroit and didn't want their merchandise damaged. :hat
________
NATURE'S MEDICINE LONG BEACH (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

boutons
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Ignoring the commercial needs of stocking price-gouging souvenir junk, it would be a stupid city government, 2 years after the previous title in SA, NOT to have all kinds of plans, contingencies, employee/police/temporary-help scheduling in place days before a possible championship.

Is a city supposed to wait until the final buzzer at 11 PM to lift a finger?

WayDowntownBang
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Maybe NBA Properties was scared off by the riots that were taking place in Detroit and didn't want their merchandise damaged. :hat

Yeah, that's it.

If I had a dollar for every Detroit Riot reference, I could buy the Spurs. Get new material.

wsdp
06-22-2005, 10:00 AM

Riots in Detroit... AhAHHHaaahaHHaa!!! That's Funny!

Oh wait... that was 1969... nevermind... Race Riots are funny, aren't they... you know, coming from a Southerner...

Mr. Peabody
06-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Ignoring the commercial needs of stocking price-gouging souvenir junk, it would be a stupid city government, 2 years after the previous title in SA, NOT to have all kinds of plans, contingencies, employee/police/temporary-help scheduling in place days before a possible championship.

Is a city supposed to wait until the final buzzer at 11 PM to lift a finger?

Evidently, that's how things are done in Detroit.
________
HairyVirginity (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/HairyVirginity/)

WayDowntownBang
06-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Evidently, that's how things are done in Detroit.

Don't be cranky, just change your diaper. Your team blew it, and you aren't having a parade. No reason to be a complete loser with cookie cutter insults.

MadDog73
06-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Your team blew it, and you aren't having a parade.

So sure, are you? I still like the Spurs' chances.

WayDowntownBang
06-22-2005, 10:07 AM
So sure, are you? I still like the Spurs' chances.

Actually, I was meaning not on Thursday. I'm not one of those guys who are guaranteeing anything. Actually, I think you have a better chance of guessing a coin flip than you have of guessing the winner of this game.

This has been proven all series.. this is 2 teams that are about as even as we've ever seen in an NBA Finals. It's like, whoever has the ball last is going to win. I love the way these Finals have turned out. If my Pistons lose, yes.. I'm going to be bumming big time, but I won't be ashamed.

I think Spurs fans should feel the same way. I just get tired of the same worn out, tired insults and trash talk that we've been seeing for two weeks. They need new material.

EasilyAmused
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Who knows what the real story is. I wouldn't blame Larry Brown for doing that, hell if I was the coach and I knew that would motivate my guys I would do it in a heartbeat.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with making preparations for a parade given the magnitude of something like that. Newspapers, t-shirts and the parade all have to be planned ahead of time.

However…

I would think out of respect to the opponent (who by the way are the World Champions) and their fans…. And just because I don’t want anyone jinxing Spurs chances! Please keep it a freaking secret! I don’t want to know about any preparations until after a Spurs win!

mouse
06-22-2005, 10:31 AM
NBC/woai Tv said this morning they felt bad for reporting the info about the river parade and that the other Tv stations did also.

wsdp
06-22-2005, 10:33 AM
NBC/woai Tv said this morning they felt bad for reporting the info about the river parade and that the other Tv stations did also.

You must be mistaken mouse... afterall, Larry Brown "made it up" to motiviate his players... you mean NBC/woai was in on Brown's plan too? (that wasn't directed at you mouse, don't worry)

EasilyAmused
06-22-2005, 10:33 AM

:bang

EasilyAmused
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
afterall, Larry Brown "made it up" to motiviate his players..

I don't think he "made it up" I think he heard about it and used it as a motivation, which I don't blame him.

Rematch+Repeat=Revenge
06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Who gives a rat's ass? If they planned it after game 2, then there should be all this chatter, but it was game 6 and they had every reason to plan ahead. I don't think this "motivated" the Pistons at all.