PDA

View Full Version : HEB Plus

Blake
05-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I've been to the new one on1604 @ Bandera a few times already since it opened last week.

I like it and hate it. A lot of stuff the other one didn't have but it'll be a pain in the ass to just get milk which is purposely located at the back of the store.

When I went Saturday, I got full on samples. It might be bigger than costco....

fraga
05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
It's the biggest H-E-B to date...you could fit the Empire State Building inside of it...true story...did you try the Flaming Bird...

cantthinkofanything
05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
It's the biggest H-E-B to date...you could fit the Empire State Building inside of it...true story...did you try the Flaming Bird...

There's no way it's that tall.

Sense
05-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I went last Thursday and there was a 40 minute wait to pay... let's just say I didn't buy anything.. and the beer selection wasn't impressive.

Das Texan
05-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I need to properly judge it when its not opening day.

Their produce section is real nice. I thought they had a fairly decent beer selection, and a unique setup, had the usual case and then another case off to the side.

Wish they had a Cafe on the Run though.

Das Texan
05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh and you couldnt have gone last thursday when they didnt open until April 27 which was Friday.

Blake
05-02-2012, 04:27 PM
did you try the Flaming Bird...

No, I figured they just gave the deli a fancy name.

Is it good?

mavs>spurs
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
glad to see the OP eating healthier than mcdonalds..and no that isn't meant as an insult

cantthinkofanything
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Is it good?

It's pretty hot I hear.

http://funkydowntown.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/fire-fuxk-you.jpg

Blake
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I went last Thursday and there was a 40 minute wait to pay... let's just say I didn't buy anything.. and the beer selection wasn't impressive.

Yeah, all 25 checkouts were open and the lines were back to the aisles.
It was like Black Friday. I got a few good coupons that they were handing out, but fighting the crowd sucked.

I have no doubt they did $1 milly in sales this weekend.

Blake
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
glad to see the OP eating healthier than mcdonalds..and no that isn't meant as an insult

Thanks scrah but about twice a week I still swing by Mc OG for hot oatmeal and coffee.

mavs>spurs
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
^ain't the worst thing in the world at all.

Dex
05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Not a fan of HEB Plus. Too freaking big, and I don't particularly like the way they are arranged.

If I want groceries, I'll go to HEB.

If I want electronics or whatever, I'll go to Wal-Mart or Target.

There are very few occasions where I'm like "oh shit, I need to go pick up some potatoes and a TV".

And before anyone brings up the concept of Super Wal-Mart or Super Target, I don't shop for groceries there either. Maybe pick up the occasional item if I'm in there and I need it, but their selection sucks, the prices are jacked, and their meat sucks.

ploto
05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
... it'll be a pain in the ass to just get milk which is purposely located at the back of the store.

When the Alon Market opened, people complained about the same thing. They ended up putting a cooler case with milk at the front.

fraga
05-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Is it good?

Have yet to try it...

shyne
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Tried it today pretty nice inside. Picked up one of their pizzas it was Dan good.

FkLA
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
When the Alon Market opened, people complained about the same thing. They ended up putting a cooler case with milk at the front.

Only in Fat Antonio...

robino2001
05-03-2012, 08:49 AM
We have one of the original (3 or 4) HEB plus' in our area. Used to go to it all the time as it was the closest HEB. I would only go before 10am on Sat/Sun, after 7 or 8pm anyday or during a Cowboys game. It was fine - has a wider selection on many things... but that was it. We went because it was the closest one.

Now that I've moved and we have a regular HEB ~1 mile away and the Plus is ~3 miles away, I never go to the Plus anymore. The Plus carries many more items geared towards the hispanic population compared to our neighborhood one so sometimes we'll hit it up if specifically looking for something. With that said, it's always interesting to see how varied the HEB's are according to their neighborhood/population. Again, these HEB's a just a couple of miles apart and the difference between them is night and day with what they carry/who they cater too.

JudynTX
05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I've been to the new one on1604 @ Bandera a few times already since it opened last week.

I like it and hate it. A lot of stuff the other one didn't have but it'll be a pain in the ass to just get milk which is purposely located at the back of the store.
When I went Saturday, I got full on samples. It might be bigger than costco....

That's called Grocery Marketing 101.

How's the wine selection? :D

fraga
05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
With that said, it's always interesting to see how varied the HEB's are according to their neighborhood/population. Again, these HEB's a just a couple of miles apart and the difference between them is night and day with what they carry/who they cater too.

I believe this is purposely done to personalize each store with it's cliental...

Das Texan
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I think HEB actually does a great job marketing to the neighborhoods they are located in.

You see mostly HEB brand stuff at the ones on the south sides. A shit ton of name brand shit on the north side.

This is one major reason why they do such a great job in this market and Walmart, Target and the other little small stores make such small in roads on HEB. Granted they have cornered the market really well, but give them credit for continuing to do their research and cater to their market, no matter how maddening it might be if you goto a store thats not in 'your' market.

Blake
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
That's called Grocery Marketing 101.

Most definitely.

How's the wine selection? :D

I don't drink much wine, but they have a pretty huge area for it.

then again, it seems most HEBs have decent wine selections.

JudynTX
05-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Most definitely.

I don't drink much wine, but they have a pretty huge area for it.

then again, it seems most HEBs have decent wine selections.

So you got full on samples huh?

bus driver
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
y was it so packed? first time the westside has seen a heb plus?

Blake
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
So you got full on samples huh?

I was satisfied for sure.

Soup sample, cole slaw, chips, fresh squeezed oj, ice cream, sushi....

Blake
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Nw side/Helotes area, yeah I guess.

PakiDan
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM

That's not the west side... it's NW.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
It's ok to visit occasionally, but too annoyingly big for everyday shopping you can do at any regular HEB or Randall's.

bus driver
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
That's not the west side... it's NW.

whatever helps u sleep at night :wakeup

Kai
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I went at 2pm today (a thursday). Shit was packed.

ploto
05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Only in Fat Antonio...

Actually, it was for all the old people who shop at that store after HEB closed down the little old one at Lockhill Selma and Military.

BlairForceDejuan
05-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I live right there and haven't tried it yet. It's always packed.

fraga
05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Oh it's gonna be packed from now on...H-E-B pretty much just said, "Hey Helotes, get yo ass in here". Since they said no to Walmart, they've really never had access to an H-E-B Plus other than Potranco and 1604 a little down the road...so they've all had to cram into the older smaller store...I did not see any pumps though....the old ones were still on...wonder if they'll just keep those in use around the corner...

Drachen
05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
whatever helps u sleep at night :wakeup

LOL, superimpose a compass rose over san antonio and bandera road is almost perfectly on the NW mark.

Also, due west would be about 1604 and potranco

Blake
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh it's gonna be packed from now on...H-E-B pretty much just said, "Hey Helotes, get yo ass in here". Since they said no to Walmart, they've really never had access to an H-E-B Plus other than Potranco and 1604 a little down the road...so they've all had to cram into the older smaller store...I did not see any pumps though....the old ones were still on...wonder if they'll just keep those in use around the corner...

They own all that property. I wouldn't see why they would try to move the pumps.

fraga
05-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I wonder what's gonna happen with the old store than...what they'll turn that into...

Drachen
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I wonder what's gonna happen with the old store than...what they'll turn that into...

they are going to rent it out.

Blake
05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Seems like a prime spot for an Incredible Pizza or something similar.

I noticed Main Event (bowling, food, games) opened up next to best buy at 281/1604 where that outdoor sporting good store used to be. Seems to me a spot next to the heb would have been better....

DesignatedT
05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
I prefer the Alon Market tbh. HEB plus is too big and when I go to HEB, groceries is all I'm looking for.

BlairForceDejuan
05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I was told an Academy was going to lease the building from HEB. Dunno if true or not.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
They own all that property. I wouldn't see why they would try to move the pumps.

I read someplace that they own ALL of their own property, and that they make as much leasing out the strip malls as they do on groceries.

Xevious
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I still don't understand HEB Plus. I shop at one because it's right near my house, but I just skip all the random shit in the front of the store and go back to the groceries. I just can't imagine ever heading to HEB looking to buy a grill, or an office chair, or a tv, etc. At least Target and Wal-Mart are fairly uniform and you know what you're going to find. Every HEB plus is different, and as I said, it just seems like they're filled with random shit other than the groceries (and the electronics department I guess).

greyforest
05-04-2012, 09:23 AM
sucks, gonna keep goin to leon springs

heb take note; you aren't walmart. tia

fraga
05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I believe H-E-B had to delve deeper in the General Merchandise business directly thanks to Target and Walmart...they'd rather have you run into something you forgot you needed there while you're shopping rather than later and run into the other stores...

Blake
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
I read someplace that they own ALL of their own property, and that they make as much leasing out the strip malls as they do on groceries.

yup I've heard they charge a primo price to rent a spot in their strip centers...... which I guess should really be no surprise

Blake
05-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I still don't understand HEB Plus. I shop at one because it's right near my house, but I just skip all the random shit in the front of the store and go back to the groceries. I just can't imagine ever heading to HEB looking to buy a grill, or an office chair, or a tv, etc. At least Target and Wal-Mart are fairly uniform and you know what you're going to find. Every HEB plus is different, and as I said, it just seems like they're filled with random shit other than the groceries (and the electronics department I guess).

I would buy electronics and tvs and such from heb if their prices were reasonable

Das Texan
05-04-2012, 07:30 PM

$$$$$$

Blake
05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
$$$$$$

I don't think so.

Das Texan
05-05-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think so.

its not feasible to move the gas station from one end of their property to another.

in fact, i think they would be retarded if they did so.

just because they have money doesnt mean they should make economically unfeasible dumb decisions with it.

Blake
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
its not feasible to move the gas station from one end of their property to another.

in fact, i think they would be retarded if they did so.

just because they have money doesnt mean they should make economically unfeasible dumb decisions with it.

Oh, so the $$$$ meant they probably want to save it by not moving the pumps.

I think so too.

JudynTX
05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Ok, I went to go check out this new HEB. I was NOT impressed.

mrsmaalox
05-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Ok, I went to go check out this new HEB. I was NOT impressed.

:lol Why not??

Every fruit and vegetable on the planet (even the undiscovered ones) not good enough for you?

Entire sharks in the seafood case too boring?

Wheels of cheese stacked to the rafters not your thing?

Every species of exotic tropical flower replicated in buttercream in the bakery not up to your standards?

;)

JudynTX
05-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Every fruit and vegetable on the planet (even the undiscovered ones) not good enough for you?

I can get same items at a store closer to me.

I try not to get too excited about seeing sharks.

Not really.

Every species of exotic tropical flower replicated in buttercream in the bakery not up to your standards?

I bought 2 cupcakes, they were alright.

:D

Blake
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM

;)

is there a difference in quality between the heb and national brand of shark?

mrsmaalox
05-08-2012, 11:30 AM
:D

;) I like HEB, but they can go a bit over the top! Basically, I like any store that keeps me out of freakin' Walmart! :lol

mrsmaalox
05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
is there a difference in quality between the heb and national brand of shark?

You haven't seen the commercials? The HEB sharks are caught off the Texas coast by a good ol' 10th generation fishing Texas boy named Randy. The national brand of shark is caught by a guy named Hoi Ho fishing from a wooden raft off the coast of Viet Nam. BIG difference there! :lol

JudynTX
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
;) I like HEB, but they can go a bit over the top! Basically, I like any store that keeps me out of freakin' Walmart! :lol

I like them too, but didn't know what all the "hoopla" was about. :lol

The aisles are bigger, I noticed that.

:td The wine selection sucked.