PDA

View Full Version : Diaw is perfect with the Spurs, he needs to be re-signed

Basketball Power
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Just love his game so much, and the way he backed down Milsap and scored on him like it was nothing was beautiful to watch

I'm going to enjoy watching this 5th title run

That is all

Sean Cagney
05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I fully agree.

jon123spurs
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
100% agree with you. Also we should resign Patty mills perfect back up for Tp.

kjhip1
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
yeah and while were at it bring bck James Anderson

Proxy
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
yeah and while were at it bring bck James Anderson

Contract extensions for Matt and Dejuan too while finding a way to bring RJ back

bbarry
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Re-sign, not resign. :)

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
the difference between him and that whotaburger, he actually boxes out for rebs, plays defense...no fkn circus shots, just put the ball in the hoop

he went playbook on the jazz tonight same moves in the lowpost over and over again, attack and create

ducks
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
blair will be dumped for a draft pick

TwelveGs210
05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Nooooooo! A thread earlier this has enlightened me..we need to let these fools walk, and make a huge push to bring back Pops Mensah-Bonsu

racm
05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
the difference between him and that whotaburger, he actually boxes out for rebs, plays defense...no fkn circus shots, just put the ball in the hoop

he went playbook on the jazz tonight same moves in the lowpost over and over again, attack and create

He's got good basketball IQ.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
The good thing about Diaw is that he isn't the kind of player that a bad team will overpay for, like a 20 point chucker who does nothing else. He's useful to contending/good teams, but most of them only have the MLE to offer, and he'd likely take ours.

jon123spurs
05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Re-sign, not resign. :)
-
Sorry now I just realized that. Thanks for the correction they should Re-sign patty mills.

Yuixafun
05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
With our present cast Diaw's skill set is enhanced

SpursIndonesia
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Boris playing with the superfriends in Miami, 5 championship in a row for them. He's just the perfect big & complimenting player for a stars studded team like the Heat.

Stalin
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Fatass Diaw and Captain Scrub Jack, were championship pick ups, tbh

Stringer_Bell
05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Nooooooo! A thread earlier this has enlightened me..we need to let these fools walk, and make a huge push to bring back Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Ohhhh hell yeahhhh! I wanna see Pops dunk all over Blake Griffin and Andrew Bynum. This team needs more dunking if we wanna win the championship and be on ESPN more!!!

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Boris playing with the superfriends in Miami, 5 championship in a row for them. He's just the perfect big & complimenting player for a stars studded team like the Heat.

they only have the mini MLE to offer....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-02-2012, 10:04 PM
I was just about to start this thread! :D

The Spurs have totally revitalised Diaw - his reputation for laziness comes mostly from playing for poor teams in the past few seasons. Right now he looks like the guy that was a vital cog in those great Suns teams from 2003-06.

Bruno alert! What have we got to re-sign him?

Yuixafun
05-02-2012, 10:05 PM

After a sequence in the 3rd or 4th, when Jack missed 2 baskets in a row, going to a time out.. Diaw was rubbing Jack's shoulder and ragging on him a bit lol.

I forgot they had chemistry and history from when they played in Charlotte under Larry Brown.

These two coming to the Spurs during the trade deadline were good pick ups individually, but together, even more so.

Seamlessly integrated and both bringing in an added does of defense, versatility, smarts, grit and maturity at the right time.

Like ingredients added to the soup to really make it something special.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
they only have the mini MLE to offer....
...and Diaw isn't LeBron's best friend, either.

Knoxxx
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Dias is great overpasses a tad in the paint when open himself. Great team player full mle would be reasonable. Lorbek can sit till Duncan retires or we amnesty Bonner.

Knoxxx
05-02-2012, 10:38 PM

This is huge and exactly why the duo may retire as spurs.

shraediggz
05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I fully agree.

I also concur.

I'd love to see what Boris Diaw could do with a Spurs training camp under his belt. The guy has just got a feel for the game and in a system where ball movement is everything, this guys versatility is gold.

I hope Green, Diaw and Neal get priority this off season (In that order, I assume Duncan is a lock). Patty Mills would be a solid player to bring back if he could learn to make the extra pass (or any pass for that matter) and you can't help but to feel sentimental about Jacks, but hey, somethings got to give.

Maybe we could flip Blair for some actual size (re; length), but I kind of like him as a 4th or 5th big. We do need a bit more length imo. I'd hate to go through this another year.

Knoxxx
05-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I love this team bring em all back!

SnakeBoy
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
100% agree with you. Also we should resign Patty mills perfect back up for Tp.

Patty has probably played himself onto another team tbh.

The ADMIRAL 50
05-03-2012, 12:07 AM

dont hate, appreciate

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. When we initially were trying to pick up Diaw I knew he would be a great fit with our offense, but I never imagined how seamlessly he would work with this group all around, and how much effort he would bring defensively as well. 2012 signaled the return of peak R.C. and Pop tbh.

Bruno
05-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Bruno alert! What have we got to re-sign him?

Spurs could offer Diaw the full MLE, that is to say $21.35M over 4 years.

Knoxxx
05-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Well the good news is that is reasonable and all we can offer, I believe. Should make the negotiations easy.

KenziE
05-03-2012, 02:56 AM

i dont get it? tbh

spurraider21
05-03-2012, 03:11 AM
here's how I see it going down:
a) Duncan - the obvious. will be resigned. i'm estimating something around 3 years 27 million or 2 for 20. something of that sort
b) Blair - will be about a 1 million dollar expiring contract. salary isn't really a burden to carry and most of us are fine with him as a 4th or 5th big. a minutes eater during the regular season. a possible buyout candidate, or could be traded for a pick, but wouldn't expect a high one
c) diaw - he's 30 years old and should draw interest from teams that have good talent in place. its been established that diaw plays better with good teams because having good players in place magnifies his passing ability. he seems happy in San Antonio, playing with Tony Parker and former teammate Stephen Jackson. he'd probably sign for something near the MLE, but I would assume less than that
d) Stephen Jackson is a 10 million dollar expiring contract next season. if things aren't going too well, an expiring contract that big could be a very good bargaining piece midseason. i'd like the think the Spurs like what he brings and he will play out his contract. unsure where they go at that point, but i'm only talking about the 2012-2013 season here
e) danny green is a free agent, but with the money we will save off duncan's soon be be halved (guess) salary, we should be able to bring him back.

i know this is a diaw thread, but looking at the moves we are to make next season, it shouldn't be tough to retain him with something near the MLE

sexinthatsx
05-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Not going to lie, after the past 2 seasons and seeing the spurs lacking a big man, I was pretty baffled when the Spurs decided to sign Boris Diaw. I personally was really hoping that the Spurs were able to sign Ronny Turiaf instead because he had more of an interior presence and was able to block the shot and defend pretty well.

Fast forward to the present day, and I would have to agree with all you guys and say that Diaw was a GREAT fit for our team. Diaw was essentially what Pop wanted out of Matt Bonner but could never get

mountainballer
05-03-2012, 04:21 AM
I would be very surprised if Diaw get's offers that are much better than MLE.
so, a full MLE offer from the Spurs should bring him back.
as it looks right now and considering how well he fits, that kind of contract is a no brainer for the Spurs.
will likely cost the Spurs Lorbek though. some weeks ago I wasn't sure what I would prefer. (Diaw or Lorbek). right now it's a no brainer for me as well. re sign Diaw!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Spurs could offer Diaw the full MLE, that is to say $21.35M over 4 years.

Thanks Bruno. :tu

I'm going to go even further and say that we've found the starting PF until Timmy decides to call it a day, with Splitter playing 24-30 mins behind both.

Diaw is a perfect fit for this team going forward, especially with Leonard as an excellent rebounder and defender at the 3. Also, being around this team has totally revitalised Diaw's focus and intensity - he's a less athletic but smarter version of the great all-court player (Lamar Odom type) we've seen flashes of his whole career.

We have to do everything we can to keep him. 3 years MLE, team option on 4th would be ideal.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-03-2012, 04:51 AM
PS In summary, welcome back to the World of Basketball Relevance, Boris Diaw! ;) :downspin: :lmao

_jin
05-03-2012, 04:56 AM
Diaw = GOAT.

TDMVPDPOY
05-03-2012, 04:59 AM
winning it all this year, i think some players would leave for bigger money....what else is there also to achieve besides chasing the money...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-03-2012, 05:51 AM
winning it all this year, i think some players would leave for bigger money....what else is there also to achieve besides chasing the money...

Boris is 30, he has plenty of money already, he likes playing in a system he's comfortable in, and no-one else will offer him much more because of the style of player he is. We're a perfect fit for the MLE pricetag. Obtuse or what?

It's funny... you look at a guy like Diaw coasting with the Bobcats and wonder whether he actually likes playing basketball for a living any more. Then he moves to a team that plays disciplined, structured basketball and wins, and watch as he comes alive again. That's when you see that he actually does love playing 'ball after all. That's what has just happened with Boris.

benefactor
05-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Hard to see a scenario where the Spurs let him walk. If they are willing to do what they did with a shit player like RJ to stay relevant than there isn't much to think about when deciding whether or not to give Diaw the full MLE. Lorbek can stay in Europe for all I care.

stxspurs
05-03-2012, 06:54 AM
James white!

eric365
05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I like Boris but remember he was beasting for his contract year in 2006 and got his nice contract and stopped making effort after that

And it was with a contender. Suns 2007 and 2008 were a contender.

It's a contract year again and he is playing very well. Just hope if he re-sign with the spurs that he will not come back fat next year

letmk
05-03-2012, 07:02 AM
I would love to have both Diaw and the Lorbek guy. Roster-wise we can trade Blair for a 2nd-round pick to make a room for them. However, it seems not workable with salary cap. What a shame.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-03-2012, 07:07 AM
i dont get it? tbh

He and Tony have been best friends since like 14 or 15 years old. That will be a draw to keep him here.

TDMVPDPOY
05-03-2012, 07:12 AM
imagined if we kept the roster intact for next season, would the chicago cows 70-12 breakable?

Wild Cobra Kai
05-03-2012, 07:40 AM
I like Boris but remember he was beasting for his contract year in 2006 and got his nice contract and stopped making effort after that

And it was with a contender. Suns 2007 and 2008 were a contender.

It's a contract year again and he is playing very well. Just hope if he re-sign with the spurs that he will not come back fat next year

4.7p/4.3r/2.4a can hardly be said to be "beasting" for a contract. Those were his 20 game SA regular season numbers.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Green can be given a qualifying offer to be a RFA, which more than likely he will, and Spurs will have more than enough to resign him. Duncan will be resigned. Mills is a player option and he might resign as well.

Diaw will probably be offered the full MLE or close to it. This probably will cost the Spurs Lorberk unless the Spurs amnesty Bonner. Mills probably won't pickup his player option so the Spurs will be close to 14 mil under the cap next season.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Bonner's status has little to nothing to do with Lorbek. If we offer Diaw the full MLE, there is nothing but minimum to offer Lorbek because we're over the cap.

eric365
05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
4.7p/4.3r/2.4a can hardly be said to be "beasting" for a contract. Those were his 20 game SA regular season numbers.

I used the word "beasting" for 2006 when he was MIP.
For this year I said "playing very well"

Reading comprehension :rolleyes

bigfan
05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Lorbek can cool his heels in Europe, he aint going anywhere. I really like our team as it stands and hope we can keep Green/Diaw/Mills next season. Hell even Anderson has started to play well now.

_jin
05-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I used the word "beasting" for 2006 when he was MIP.
For this year I said "playing very well"

Reading comprehension :rolleyes
His numbers dipped after his MIP season, but I don't think it's because of slacking. Amare was back to being the 1st option, he got moved from playing center to small forward, then to the bench.
I think the only time he coasted was from 2010 to this season, once the Bobcats got rid of all their good players (Jax/Chandler/Wallace/Felton/Okafor) and he was left alone with all those scrubs... Can't blame him for not being motivated to play with Kwame, Matt Carrol or Desagana Diop

_jin
05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
@donjuansdaddy I think you are being very optimistic regarding next season's salary cap. I think the days when the cap would increase by 10% every year are over, I may be totally wrong but I don't see it going much more over 60M.
They have over 48M committed to 7 players, if you add Green QO and Blair's team option that will be picked up, both around 1M, and TD at 10M (I think it's a minimum), you get to 60.5M.
I don't know how much would Lorbek ask to come over (I know he's underpaid but has a big role) but that doesn't leave much room for him, outside of the MLE.

Darkwaters
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
If I were the Spurs I would probably resign Diaw and just keep Blair on the roster as the fifth big.

While Blair has no business starting, as a bench big deep in the rotation its hard to complain about what he offers. Plus, his contract is incredibly cheap. Unless I got offered a great trade option then I'd probably just keep him around. But if all we're going to get is a mediocre 2nd rounder in an average draft class - I just don't see the point. Keep the guy that can be productive in stints and knows the system. Besides, your biggest competition is probably Oklahoma City and Blair eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary

Here is a very detail breakout of the Spurs Salary for next year and Beyond. Right now they will have 9 players under contract with a total 49mil salary. Mills probably will terminate his contract early and Green will probably be given a qualifying offer. So, at the start of FA, if Duncan isn't given an extension before then, the Spurs will still probably be at 49mil with 8 players under contract, and one restricted.

Duncan's Cap Hold is the biggest drawback right now. But let's say he does sign a 10mil a year deal, the Spurs will be at 59mil. The Cap is suppose to go up to 60-61mil. So basically the Spurs would have to amnesty Bonner or waive Blair to afford Lorbek.

Honestly, with how good the team is doing, I say keep everything as it is. The Spurs could sign Mills with 2mil Exception, resign Green to a long term deal since the Spurs have his early Bird rights, and then resign Boris with the MLE.

So basically, especially if the Spurs win the Championship this year, they more than likely can bring the same exact team back next year if they wanted.

Still wrong.

The Spurs will have the MLE to sign Lorbek or Diaw. It's cap space or the MLE, not both.

tesseractive
05-03-2012, 01:18 PM
If I were the Spurs I would probably resign Diaw and just keep Blair on the roster as the fifth big.

While Blair has no business starting, as a bench big deep in the rotation its hard to complain about what he offers. Plus, his contract is incredibly cheap. Unless I got offered a great trade option then I'd probably just keep him around. But if all we're going to get is a mediocre 2nd rounder in an average draft class - I just don't see the point. Keep the guy that can be productive in stints and knows the system. Besides, your biggest competition is probably Oklahoma City and Blair eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

This. Bonner and Blair as the #2 and #3 big men is a huge hole. Bonner and Blair as the #4 and #5 big men is a nice deep rotation. How many teams really have better guys at the end of the depth chart?

I do hope that Mills picks up his player option, though. He hasn't cracked the rotation except for garbage time, so it's not unthinkable that he might still play for the million on his option next year. I doubt there are many teams watching and saying -- whoa, let's get that garbage time guy in here for the MLE or something. And if we could bring him back as Parker's backup with a full offseason and training camp of development, he could make a big leap.

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/4/27/2978296/san-antonio-spurs-salary-cap-danny-green-tim-duncan

Here is a good article to answer your repetitive response on this matter.

The only way the Spurs can pickup Lorbek without using the MLE on him is by cutting someone from the team to Lower their cap where they can squeeze him in between the Duncan and Green resignings like I already stated. But that more than likely isn't happening. There are always loopholes and Pop and RC are the best at finding them.

I'm only repeating the same simple fact that you don't understand how the system works. Can't use cap space and the MLE, have to choose one or the other.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/4/27/2978296/san-antonio-spurs-salary-cap-danny-green-tim-duncan

Here is a good article to answer your repetitive response on this matter.

The only way the Spurs can pickup Lorbek without using the MLE on him is by cutting someone from the team to Lower their cap where they can squeeze him in between the Duncan and Green resignings like I already stated. But that more than likely isn't happening. There are always loopholes and Pop and RC are the best at finding them.

LOL dude how many times should one and the same thing have to explained to you, seriously! You either use cap space or MLE, you can't use both - no way you can sign Lorbek with cap money and then spend the MLE on Boris or someone else. Either - or, dude.

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I know that. But you can use Cap Space if its there. And what makes it work is that Green only has to be given qualifying offer this year of 1mil. It will more than likely be bump to 4-5mil if and once he is resigned. So resigning Green to a 4-5mil contract will push the Spurs over the cap at which time the full MLE would be alotted to them. If the Spurs had some extra cap space to use after resigning Duncan but before resigning Green they could use it to sign Lorbek. The only way they can clear enough cap is if they Amnesty someone like Bonner who has close to a 4mil cap hit.

But as it stands now, Spurs will only have enough to resign Green, Duncan, Diaw and pickup a couple of minimum Players, which is all good.

:lmao

You say that you know that and then you lay out one of your tortured scenarios where they have cap space, then go over the cap, and then have the MLE.

It doesn't work that way. It can't work that way. It won't work that way. Stop trying to imagine scenarios where it could or would work that way.

benefactor
05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
:lol gnsf CBA

dunkman
05-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Even if the Spurs win it all this year, I hope they will try improving the roster. Duncan and Manu don't have much time left. Which means re-signing Diaw and bringing Lorbek or a better amnestied player for cheap.

SenorSpur
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
As others have stated, and based upon his on-court production thus far and how much Pop has gushed about Diaw, I think he's a cinch to be back next year. As of now, he does appear to be happy, he's contributing and the Spurs are winning. It's been a seemless transition and a perfect marriage thus far.

Obviously, no one knows what his contract desires would be, but I'd have to guess something in the way of the MLE would be acceptable. I'd like to see what he can do with a full offseason conditioning program tailored to him by the Spurs coaches.

All that said, I'd still like to see the Spurs to invest in a young, cheap, athletic big to begin an apprenticeship under Duncan.

tesseractive
05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
As others have stated, and based upon his on-court production thus far and how much Pop has gushed about Diaw, I think he's a cinch to be back next year. As of now, he does appear to be happy, he's contributing and the Spurs are winning. It's been a seemless transition and a perfect marriage thus far.

Obviously, no one knows what his contract desires would be, but I'd have to guess something in the way of the MLE would be acceptable. I'd like to see what he can do with a full offseason conditioning program tailored to him by the Spurs coaches.

All that said, I'd still like to see the Spurs to invest in a young, cheap, athletic big to begin an apprenticeship under Duncan.

If there are athletic bigs with any talent that we can get for cheap, I'm all for it. But that's usually a precious commodity.

Seventyniner
05-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I thought that a team would get the MLE if they were under the cap by less than that amount.

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I thought that a team would get the MLE if they were under the cap by less than that amount.

That is true.

Seventyniner
05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
That is true.

If the team then uses said cap space, do they keep the MLE?

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 06:56 PM
If the team then uses said cap space, do they keep the MLE?

No.

Cap space or MLE, not both.

Knoxxx
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
You guys are missing the obvious value of the large expiring contracts of Manu and Jax, both players we want back who are past their peak contract years and aging a bit.

Spurs can sign Duncan for $8 million, renegotiate Manu to $8 million x 3 years, Jackson to $7 million x 3 years. Re sign Green for $5 million.

That gets the Spurs under the cap to the tune of about $7-9 million depending on Patty and Blair.

While all that might not go as planned, some combo of that along with a Bonner amnesty/salary dump/trade could be enough to bring over Lorbek while retaining Diaw.

These so-called "experts" in here need to quit poo-pooing the idea and figure out how to make it work. There is my proposal, what are the holes...?

timvp
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Spurs can sign Duncan for $8 million, renegotiate Manu to $8 million x 3 years, Jackson to $7 million x 3 years.Too little. Not allowed in the CBA. Not allowed in the CBA.

That gets the Spurs under the cap to the tune of about $7-9 millionNegative.

depending on [...] Blair.He's not a FA.

what are the holes...?There were a couple.

007nites
05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Wait till he loses weight and he gets down to 240 pounds.

DesignatedT
05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
:lol gnsf CBA

:lol

Leetonidas
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Too little. Not allowed in the CBA. Not allowed in the CBA.

Negative.

He's not a FA.

There were a couple.

Why do I always hear people suggesting a player could "restructure their contract" :lol has this ever been allowed in NBA history?

Knoxxx
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Too little. Not allowed in the CBA. Not allowed in the CBA.

Negative.

He's not a FA.

There were a couple.

Since you know the CBA so well, what if any is the wiggle room to renegotiate Manu/Jax. What I suggested was not so different than what we did with Jefferson under the prior CBA. All I did was add two years to each contract at $5 million each and average the dollar amounts over the three years.

I get "not allowed under the CBA", so just what is allowed along these lines? Where there's a will there's a way, I figure, subject to the CBA.

The $24 million owed to Manu/Jax, above market in this CBA environment and for this stage of their careers, are the biggest obstacles towards making any signifcant roster adds in '13.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Contracts cannot be "re-negotiated". This isn't the NFL. You play out your contract, or you extend it, but contract numbers for next season are set in stone...no, encased in diamond.

T Park
05-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Tough summer.

Theyre gonna have to decide Green or Neal possibly and right now I'd have to go with Danny Green.

Shame theres no way to keep Diaw and bring over Lorbek while dumping Blair.

Lorbek would be great as the fifth big.

SpursFan0728
05-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Tough summer.

Theyre gonna have to decide Green or Neal possibly and right now I'd have to go with Danny Green.

I don't get it. Why are they deciding between Green or Neal? Isn't Neal under contract already for next year?

Knoxxx
05-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I thought we renegotiated rj enabling Splitter signing. Why all the condescending responses?

Neal is under contract for 2013 fool!

T Park
05-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I thought we renegotiated rj enabling Splitter signing. Why all the condescending responses?

RJ declined his contract and signed for more years but less per year FOOL

will_spurs
05-04-2012, 01:39 AM

RJ had a player option for the last year of his contract. He decided to opt out of it to sign the extension.

I haven't checked but apparently Manu and SJax are not in the same situation (or at least, not for next year).

will_spurs
05-04-2012, 01:44 AM
And Lorbek, if he wanted to come to the NBA, must really hate Diaw right now. Lorbek went from being a desirable big with a bargaining chip (in case he wanted to stay in Europe, he could have tried to inflate his value like many others did before) to an unproven NBA big trying to edge out a vet who seems to be a perfect fit in the Spurs system.

Furthermore let's remember that Diaw previous contract, signed while he was obviously younger and after a nice contract year, was $9m per, and everybody thought he was badly overpaid (given his play in subsequent years). I fail to see how an older version of Diaw, with his history, and despite his rejuvenation, can command more than the MLE for any team.

Actually, I'm not even sure he's worth the full MLE right now, but if the Spurs have nothing else to spend it on, he might get the full MLE indeed. That seems fair for both parties.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-04-2012, 02:06 AM

RJ had a player option, he declined it and became a free agent, he then signed a brand new contract with the Spurs, thus he didn't renegotiate it, it is not allowed under the CBA.

The only way to get rid of Manu's or Jax's contracts would be to find a team under the cap willing to absorb their contracts in exchange for a pick ( or adding a pick ) and a TE. I'm pretty sure there would be takers for Manu, but no way the Spurs do that.

mountainballer
05-04-2012, 02:09 AM
I know that.

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/2.bp.blogspot.com/_1iGMnJCW7Ec/TMHPiXtZFdI/AAAAAAABhvA/DFDuo8L34mM/s1600/wanda.jpg

murpjf88
05-04-2012, 02:28 AM
RJ had a player option for the last year of his contract. He decided to opt out of it to sign the extension.

I haven't checked but apparently Manu and SJax are not in the same situation (or at least, not for next year).

The Spurs talked RJ into opting out and guaranteed him a contract offer if no other team wanted him. He wasn't opting under any other circumstance.

Bruno
05-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Actually, I'm not even sure he's worth the full MLE right now, but if the Spurs have nothing else to spend it on, he might get the full MLE indeed. That seems fair for both parties.

Good bigmen in the NBA are getting paid. For example, Glen Davis got paid $25.7M over 4 years last December.

If Diaw has a good playoffs run, it would be a no-brainer for Spurs to offer him the full MLE with whatever specifics he wants (player options, trade kicker, singing bonus..). A starting level PF for the MLE is a bargain.

Spursfanfromafar
05-04-2012, 03:16 AM
And Lorbek, if he wanted to come to the NBA, must really hate Diaw right now. Lorbek went from being a desirable big with a bargaining chip (in case he wanted to stay in Europe, he could have tried to inflate his value like many others did before) to an unproven NBA big trying to edge out a vet who seems to be a perfect fit in the Spurs system.

Furthermore let's remember that Diaw previous contract, signed while he was obviously younger and after a nice contract year, was $9m per, and everybody thought he was badly overpaid (given his play in subsequent years). I fail to see how an older version of Diaw, with his history, and despite his rejuvenation, can command more than the MLE for any team.

I think it was lack of motivation more than anything for Diaw's lacklustre performance over the years. Playing for the Bobcats after being traded from the Suns did not help at all.

The Spurs have a different environment - even more so relevant for Diaw as Parker plays here - and I think he would be doing some good work in the offseason (he has to play in the Olympics as well) to stay in/get into prime shape.

As for Lorbek, the only way he gets into the Spurs squad, IMO, is if the Spurs sell Blair to a below-the-cap team for a second round pick in 2018 (a la Theo Ratliff) and then Lorbek is willing to play for a million dollar contract with raises for a couple more years. Or perhaps someone bites on Corey Joseph as well and the Spurs manage to offer a million more.

SpursIndonesia
05-04-2012, 05:26 AM
So, i think the only way to get BOTH Diaw & Lorbek would be salary dumping Capt Jax to any team under the cap, creating enough cap space to sign those two big men with reasonable contract, no ??

Ofcourse, the Spurs would have to renounce their right to any salary exception, CMIIW.

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
trade lorbek and whatever scrubs on the team to move up on the draft and farm the pick

elemento
05-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Tough summer.

They don't have to decide between Neal and Green. Neal is locked for the next season and Green is a RFA considering we have his early bird rights. They're not going anywhere unless a dumb team severely overpays for Green.

Diaw or Lorbek is true though. We can't have both

pgardn
05-04-2012, 07:15 AM
He as always struck me as a guy who when signs, sits back and relaxes. But maybe the aforementioned team situations have caused this lack of drive.

Wait and see... I wonder how much Parker can influence his will to play hard in the regular season after he is "made". Now that Parker is wearing big pants he can play big brother.

will_spurs
05-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Good bigmen in the NBA are getting paid. For example, Glen Davis got paid $25.7M over 4 years last December.

Glen Davis is 26, Diaw is 30. Diaw also got a big fat contract when he was 26 (much bigger than Davis, by the way). This is Diaw's last true contract, and given the way he played in the past + the fact that he won't fit in every team/system I don't see anybody giving him more than the MLE. Miami would, if they could.

It looks like the Spurs look what they see, Diaw likes what he sees, and the price is fair. That points to a deal.

Re: Lorbek, the road to Lorbek goes through Bonner being amnestied. since the Spurs like Bonner and Lorbek is unproven (and not even sure he wants to come), I can't see it happening.

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Glen Davis is 26, Diaw is 30. Diaw also got a big fat contract when he was 26 (much bigger than Davis, by the way). This is Diaw's last true contract, and given the way he played in the past + the fact that he won't fit in every team/system I don't see anybody giving him more than the MLE. Miami would, if they could.

It looks like the Spurs look what they see, Diaw likes what he sees, and the price is fair. That points to a deal.

Re: Lorbek, the road to Lorbek goes through Bonner being amnestied. since the Spurs like Bonner and Lorbek is unproven (and not even sure he wants to come), I can't see it happening.

Using the amnesty on Bonner will not change the Spurs' ability to sign Lorbek.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-04-2012, 08:13 AM

It really doesn't.

Edit : Mel being first again :toast

Bruno
05-04-2012, 08:29 AM
So, i think the only way to get BOTH Diaw & Lorbek would be salary dumping Capt Jax to any team under the cap, creating enough cap space to sign those two big men with reasonable contract, no ??

Salary dumping Jax won't be easy to do.

IMO, the LLE isn't a that unrealistic way to get Lorbek. If he wants to join the NBA, a 2 years LLE contract with a player option on the second year is a quite good solution for him. What he will lost in salary, he will gain it in freedom.

tesseractive
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Ofcourse, the Spurs would have to renounce their right to any salary exception, CMIIW.

AFAIK, that would work, assuming Diaw and Lorbek would both fit under the cap. (And, of course, that some team under the cap wanted Jack's contract.)

Edit: beaten by Bruno.

tesseractive
05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

IMO, the LLE isn't a that unrealistic way to get Lorbek. If he wants to join the NBA, a 2 years LLE contract with a player option on the second year is a quite good solution for him. What he will lost in salary, he will gain it in freedom.

I thought the new rules did away with the LLE. Am I mistaken?

hooperflash
05-04-2012, 08:35 AM

your mom was a championship pick up, imo

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I thought the new rules did away with the LLE. Am I mistaken?

Taxpaying teams cannot use the LLE.

From Coon's summary of changes to the new CBA:

2011 CBA: Taxpaying teams have a smaller midlevel exception, can acquire less salary in trade, and cannot use the biannual exception.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/CBA-111128/how-new-nba-deal-compares-last-one

coyotes_geek
05-04-2012, 08:47 AM

With it taking 2 seasons to get early Bird rights on a player I'd think the Spurs would feel pretty strongly about wanting to have Lorbek locked up for that second year. If you give Lorbek an out after the first year then you'd have to use your MLE to re-sign him.

Bruno
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
With it taking 2 seasons to get early Bird rights on a player I'd think the Spurs would feel pretty strongly about wanting to have Lorbek locked up for that second year. If you give Lorbek an out after the first year then you'd have to use your MLE to re-sign him.

Agree. The LLE contract would be really better for Spurs if the second year isn't a player option. They should push for it. Saying that, if the only way to get Lorbek is giving him a player option on the second option, then Spurs should still sign him.

Indazone
05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Diaw has the skillset and the size to perfectly complement the Spurs in the front court. Low post scoring, rebounding and defense.

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys, good problem solving. I was kidding about the "fool" reference, that was tongue in cheek. I just was seeing too many quick responses "that won't work" while not enough discussion on the alternatives, although I realize we have the think tank for that.

Spurs are sitting pretty overall. If anyone call pull out a rabbit and get Lorbek next year it's Pop/RC, but we don't really need him either.

Diaw looks like a MLE slam dunk as was mentioned. After that and resigning Green, we can largely stand pat and be fine.

In 2014, we will have the flexibility to do whatever we want.

I guess one big question will be should we just keep renewing Duncan one year at a time, to $10 million deals, to maximize flexibiity?

Also should we be putting those player options in the last year of any big contract, so we can pull another RJ style "renegotiation" in the future?

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Agree. The LLE contract would be really better for Spurs if the second year isn't a player option. They should push for it. Saying that, if the only way to get Lorbek is giving him a player option on the second option, then Spurs should still sign him.

Can a team use LLE and MLE same season?

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Can a team use LLE and MLE same season?

Yes

elemento
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Mel one question

Let's say Lorbek accepts the LLE for 2 seasons. Do we have early bird rights or he is UFA after that ?

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Ok so lle lorbek mle Dias work for 2013? In that case amnesty Bonner seems to make sense. Lorbek would be a nice Bonner upgrade Imo.

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Mel one question

Let's say Lorbek accepts the LLE for 2 seasons. Do we have early bird rights or he is UFA after that ?

Early Bird rights kick in after two seasons under the same contract.

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Ok so lle lorbek mle Dias work for 2013? In that case amnesty Bonner seems to make sense. Lorbek would be a nice Bonner upgrade Imo.

We're talking about the summer of 2012, not 2013.

Even if we signed Diaw with the MLE and Lorbek with LLE, using the amnesty on Bonner doesn't make much sense at all unless it was necessary to get under the tax. Even then, it would be a financial move, not a basketball move.

coyotes_geek
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Early Bird rights kick in after two seasons under the same contract.

Pretty sure it doesn't have to be the same contract so long as the player isn't waived or signs a contract with a different team somewhere inbetween. Back to back 1 year contracts will still earn you early bird rights.

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Pretty sure it doesn't have to be the same contract so long as the player isn't waived or signs a contract with a different team somewhere inbetween. Back to back 1 year contracts will still earn you early bird rights.

You're right.

pad300
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
MeL_13, there was something that I did not understand in the article you linked to

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/CBA-111128/how-new-nba-deal-compares-last-one

"• 2011 CBA: For non-taxpaying teams, four years starting at $5 million (base salary grows by 3 percent annually beginning in 2013-14), with 4.5 percent raises. Taxpaying teams are limited to three years, a $3 million base salary (which grows by 3 percent annually beginning in 2013-14) and 4.5 percent raises. Teams with cap room (therefore losing their midlevel exception) get a new midlevel that is for two years and starts at $2.5 million (growing 3 percent annually)."

That bolded bit at the suggests that you can use this "new midlevel", if you spend your salary cap room... Could we arrange it, that by amnestying Bonner and Trading Blair, we would have enough room below the cap to sign Duncan and Diaw (while making a QO to Green), and then use this "new midlevel" to sign Lorbek (and then use our Early Bird rights to re-sign Green)?

tesseractive
05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
So if we succeed in getting both Diaw and Lorbek, that gives us 6 bigs, which seems like one more than we really need. Obviously we're not going to trade Tim. Could we get anything useful for Bonner or Blair?

For that matter, is there any chance there's a team desperate for a center that would be able to give us a major piece for Tiago? I wouldn't want to trade him unless we thought we could get a real difference maker in return, but if we think Lorbek can back Tim up right away, it might be worth trading our backup in the right deal, George Hill style. Somebody like Arron Afflalo, hypothetically (though I seriously doubt Denver's looking to make that deal).

rmt
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Duncan should be a team player and sign for $15/3yrs. I mean he's not a gambler he doesn't need any more serious money

If they win, I hope that TD will REALLY want to repeat (after all - that's the only thing left that they haven't done) and sign for CHEAP so they can have Diaw and Lorbek. Have Lorbek learn for a year as Pop is wont to do - reduces TD's time (increase Splitter's mins) and can get rid of Blair at year's end if Lorbek catches on well. I can dream, can't I?

stephen jackson
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
i dont see this exact team working as well next year, as its working this year. well see though feeling like 03 all over again.

Keepin' it real
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Just love his game so much, and the way he backed down Milsap and scored on him like it was nothing was beautiful to watch

I'm going to enjoy watching this 5th title run

That is all

I won't respond with a wanna-be GM reply about MLEs, LLEs, and some guy named Lorbek. I'll just simply say -- I agree with you. :toast

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
MeL_13, there was something that I did not understand in the article you linked to

"• 2011 CBA: For non-taxpaying teams, four years starting at $5 million (base salary grows by 3 percent annually beginning in 2013-14), with 4.5 percent raises. Taxpaying teams are limited to three years, a $3 million base salary (which grows by 3 percent annually beginning in 2013-14) and 4.5 percent raises. Teams with cap room (therefore losing their midlevel exception) get a new midlevel that is for two years and starts at $2.5 million (growing 3 percent annually)."

That bolded bit at the suggests that you can use this "new midlevel", if you spend your salary cap room... Could we arrange it, that by amnestying Bonner and Trading Blair, we would have enough room below the cap to sign Duncan and Diaw (while making a QO to Green), and then use this "new midlevel" to sign Lorbek (and then use our Early Bird rights to re-sign Green)?

Anything is possible, but that new exception is 2yrs/5M while the BAE(LLE) was 2yrs/4.2M in the last year of the old CBA (I'm not sure exactly how much it will be next year, but it will close to that amount) . That's an awful lot of trouble to go to get a slightly larger exception to offer to Lorbek. I can't see how that would make the difference in his decision to leave Europe or not.

tesseractive
05-04-2012, 01:03 PM
i dont see this exact team working as well next year, as its working this year. well see though feeling like 03 all over again.

After '03, David retired.

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 03:49 PM
So now we have went from no chance to get Lorbek for 2013, to decent chance if he takes the LLE, and that has no impact on getting Diaw back for the MLE. All we have to do is stay under the luxury tax.

Also Pop had commented that Lorbek is coming next year. Not sure he considered that a done deal, but possibly. If so, does not bode well for one of Bonner/Blair. Bonner appears the one in more jeopardy, with the $ 4 million team option salary, and Lorbek being a larger upgraded version of him, complete with the outside shooting skills.

We also need to be thinking about life after Timmy in the next year or two. Splitter/Lorbek may be the solution.

Edit: my bad, maybe I should be thinking of with the amnesty waiver provision in play. I don't know offhand the guaranteed status of Bonner contract next year.

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
So now we have went from no chance to get Lorbek for 2013, to decent chance if he takes the LLE, and that has no impact on getting Diaw back for the MLE. All we have to do is stay under the luxury tax.

Nothing has changed. It's been said all along that it's possible to get both as long as one of them is prepared to accept less than market value.

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks, I thought some relatively knowledgeable folks were saying Diaw or Lorbek but not both, PERIOD. Glad to hear we have some chance to get both and upgrade an already killer roster, woohoo.

Then in 2014 we are in the catbird's seat with expiring Manu and Jax to the tune of $25 million...

Mel_13
05-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks, I thought some relatively knowledgeable folks were saying Diaw or Lorbek but not both, PERIOD. Glad to hear we have some chance to get both and upgrade an already killer roster, woohoo.

Then in 2014 we are in the catbird's seat with expiring Manu and Jax to the tune of $25 million...

Those contracts expire in 2013

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Right, so AFTER those contracts expire, we will play the 2014 season. I consider this the 2012 season, using the ending year not the beginning. We are stuck with those contracts in the 2013 season, but looking great for the 2012 season.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Right, so AFTER those contracts expire, we will play the 2014 season. I consider this the 2012 season, using the ending year not the beginning. We are stuck with those contracts in the 2013 season, but looking great for the 2012 season.

Contracts expire the year they expire. If you want to advance every season by one year to have it fit your world view of a season designated by the end, so be it, but you're talking your own language and will only confuse the issue,

Knoxxx
05-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Contracts expire the year they expire. If you want to advance every season by one year to have it fit your world view of a season designated by the end, so be it, but you're talking your own language and will only confuse the issue,

So what do you call this season, genius? The 2011-2012 season? Only an ass clown would think the 2012 season means the 2012-2013 season, tbbh. :bang

Mel was just being aloof and you lapped it right up like his puppy!

Wild Cobra Kai
05-04-2012, 11:25 PM
So what do you call this season, genius? The 2011-2012 season?

Most people do. Using both begin and end year eliminates the confusion that comes with a narcissistic belief that one is right, no matter which single year you use.

Single years are usually used to denote the end of the contract, or when a player is acquired, and the year is when the event happens. For instance, Manu's contract expires in 2013, because that's when it actually expires. Lorbek would come over for 2012, because that's when he would sign and start playing. Keep living in your obtuse little one year offset world though. It isn't hurting anyone and is generally harmless, although confusing to those who don't understand your affliction.

Knoxxx
05-05-2012, 12:25 AM
My bad, I assumed that we were not catering to the lowest common denominator poster. The one who wants to know the Spurs salary situation, but did not bother to read post #53 on this thread. Or is too lazy to Google "NBA Salaries", choose from the half dozen sites that pop up, and see that it is very obvious Manu and Jackson are signed for one more year at huge dollar amounts, completely effing up our salary cap situation for next season.

I appreciate your desire to do that, but give the nitpicking a rest for those of us willing to actually do that simple legwork. I thought we were well past that on this discussion.

Knoxxx
05-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Also I'll apologize that my "obtuse world view" is skewed towards referring to seasons by the championship year. That's just how we roll in Spurs nation compadre.

hooperflash
05-07-2012, 08:19 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/3280d147d64cbea707daeb929e9f62dd8eda70a6bff9df6bca c080eabb65462b6g.jpg

elemento
05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
by reading the new CBA FAQ it's clear that we cannot use the MLE AND this new midlevel that starts in with 2.5m.

Basically we're gonna have to choose between Diaw and Lorbek.

elemento
05-07-2012, 08:46 AM
db

Bruno
05-07-2012, 12:37 PM
An interesting comment about Diaw and his relatively poor game 3 from Claude Bergeaud, a coach who is very close to Diaw:
http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/254040/bergeaud-diaw-joue-gros/

"Even if Spurs won the game, Boris was very disappointing by his game. Pop was too and said it to him. He is going to play better for the next game because stakes are high for him since he wants to stay with Spurs. He has to show he has no weaknesses especially in the playoffs because it's when it really matters. Playoffs are when we see who is a great player. If he plays again like he did in game 3, he will be in a tough spot to get a new contract."

Paranoid Pop
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
An interesting comment about Diaw and his relatively poor game 3 from Claude Bergeaud, a coach who is very close to Diaw:
http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/254040/bergeaud-diaw-joue-gros/

"Even if Spurs won the game, Boris was very disappointing by his game. Pop was too and said it to him. He is going to play better for the next game because stakes are high for him since he wants to stay with Spurs. He has to show he has no weaknesses especially in the playoffs because it's when it really matters. Playoffs are when we see who is a great player. If he plays again like he did in game 3, he will be in a tough spot to get a new contract."

Yep in today's shootaround interview you could tell he was kinda pissed, the SA media asking terrible questions didn't help. He just wasn't sharp, kinda went through the motions. But I'm confident in Boris, he has shown he could be fantastic for this team and I believe he's as hungry as ever.

Spursfanfromafar
05-07-2012, 03:39 PM
But I'm confident in Boris, he has shown he could be fantastic for this team and I believe he's as hungry as ever.

Freudian?

I hope it is "as dedicated" as ever :)

BackHome
05-07-2012, 06:59 PM
So can't we just sign Lobrek and Diaw and just pay the tax man? I mean how much would we have to pay if we go over and would we make that up by going deep in the playoffs?

The only thing I know that unless you try and get better every year you have no chance of winning a ring. I would take the hit $$$ for just one year. Either way Blair and Anderson are probably both going to be with other teams next year so just do it.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Freudian?

I hope it is "as dedicated" as ever :)

angelbelow
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
So can't we just sign Lobrek and Diaw and just pay the tax man? I mean how much would we have to pay if we go over and would we make that up by going deep in the playoffs?

The only thing I know that unless you try and get better every year you have no chance of winning a ring. I would take the hit $$$ for just one year. Either way Blair and Anderson are probably both going to be with other teams next year so just do it.

Depends on Duncan and Green too.

Duncan is going to get his 10 million, which leaves around 9 million to work with before hitting the luxury tax threshold (approximately 70 million.)

I think Green is going to pass on his qualifying offer and field contract offers as a restricted free agent instead. I would expect the Spurs to match anything below 4 million/yr.

The 4-5 million (MLE) left over should be spent on trying to keep Diaw (assuming he remains a consistent throughout the playoffs). Which will severely limit the remaining resources available to the Spurs. So even if the ownership is willing to spend and go over the tax, we won't be able to hand out another 3-4 million per year contract.

Knoxxx
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Diaw with the goosegg in the first half.

Nice assist there to Kawi for 3, but he tends to overpass inside. Here lately Boris has less O than Bowen and looks more like LLE material.