PDA

View Full Version : Fool's Gold Win

timvp
05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
JK. :downspin:

But seriously, there are Burn The Tape losses ... this is a Burn The Tape win. Come Game 3, the Jazz will be a totally different team. While Utah has sucked on the road all season, they've actually been really good at home.

I see no reason to change my sweep prediction obviously but tonight didn't exactly help matters. If the Spurs come out sleepwalking in Salt Lake City, they could drop a game and needlessly extend this series.

TE
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Agreed. Spurs have to come out and establish tempo. Gonna be a totally different environment. I'm excited to see how the youngins play in game 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah I can see Devin Harris having the best game of his mediocre career on Saturday

TwelveGs210
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm gonna go to dollar General and buy a few cheap brooms.

Basketball Power
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Jazz at home will be much tougher, but this time Splitter will be the first big off the bench not trash bonner

Spurs still sweep though

weebo
05-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Should be more competitive but this Spurs team has too much firepower. I say the Spurs grind the next win out.

mVp
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't like our chances if Pop rest Matty for game 3

pgardn
05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
We humiliated them.

I expect a huge effort in front of the home town.

I just wish we would have stayed even and pulled away in the 4th.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
timvp

the jazz bigs are still a big concern if they can hit their inside shots at a high %, look at how easy they can get their shots up against our bigs, yet they continue to choke away such easy baskets when given the opportunity....

did anyone else felt like kicking their TV in, when gino kept passing the burger to whotaburger 3-4 consecutive PNR plays that was all turnovers...that was disgusting bball, i dont care if the scrub score previous 4pts, but you dont continue funnel the ball to him when the defense has figured it out between the 2. This sequence sparked the jazz 9-0 run to finish the 2nd quarter...fkn....

fools gold is that haywood fella, didnt do much today compared to game 1....

letmk
05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Favors had some successes tonight. I suspect Corbin would start the big lineup to give it a try.

timtonymanu
05-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Game 3 is like a Game 7 for us. Spurs win this and they're ready for the next round.

That being said, I expect the Jazz and the crowd to be into the game. I also expect our guys to come out with the same momentum they've had all year.

Gonna be a fun game.

timtonymanu
05-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Game 3 is like a Game 7 for us. Spurs win this and they're ready for the next round.

That being said, I expect the Jazz and the crowd to be into the game. I also expect our guys to come out with the same momentum they've had all year.

Gonna be a fun game.

wildbill2u
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
It's always best to downplay your team's effort and performance because they can hardly top this game and you can play the "I told ya so" game.

Frankly, I'm gonna enjoy this game's results. You don't see blowouts like this in the playoffs too often.

TheSkeptic
05-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Favors had some successes tonight. I suspect Corbin would start the big lineup to give it a try.

See I still don't understand how the big lineup is going to help them although Favors should definitely be getting more burn. Can't they just give him minutes at someone else's expense for now?

Spurs7794
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
The last Spurs playoff game I watched where I wasn't worried at all? Game 5 against Utah in 2007. Its been pretty much 5 years since they've had any gimme games in the playoffs. They've had blowouts but those have been in games where the series is actually tight.

Watching TNT switch to bonus coverage during a Spurs playoff game brings back fond memories of 2005 for me.

Venti Quattro
The Jazz were just trying to gauge San Antonio's best shot.

Spurs and Mavs fan
Win and go up 3-0, putting a virtual stranglehold on the series. Lose and 2-1, letting them completely back into the series.

timvp
05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
It's always best to downplay your team's effort and performance because they can hardly top this game and you can play the "I told ya so" game.Who is doing that? That was a helluva win, fwiw.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
their bigs tonight didnt show any defensive intensity like spurts during game 1, the spurs just kept on scoring from inside and continue to pound the rock, their offensive rebounding and 2nd chance opportunities continue to hurt the spurs cause no one was givin much effort on the boards boxing out....

they look lost trying to play any form of defense to stop the spurs from executing plays...

Obstructed_View
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't have believed in the potential for a trap game until this. If Pop can keep the Spurs from letting up on the gas pedal then he deserves CoY.

ducks
05-02-2012, 09:26 PM
might be a blessing if jazz come out smoking
get up by 10 early pop will have their attence and can make that up

GrandeDavid
05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are well aware of the recent postseason letdowns and with veteran leadership in Duncan, Parker and Ginobili, a lack of effort will not occur on Saturday. Enjoy the win and chill. There's no such thing as a "fool's gold win." Enough of the silliness. Utah isn't winning this series and its not going 7 games. If the Spurs lose a game it might serve them well in the long run.

Go Spurs Go! Way to give the hometown fans their money's worth and then some.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
expecting another blowout win, and rubbish being thrown at our team...fkn mormons

pgardn
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
They were as least as awful as we were good.

In the first half they missed so many wide open shots.

racm
05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
The last time the Spurs lost to the Jazz, it was by single digits.

Without any of the big 3 playing a lick.

But they will be there....

benstanfield
05-02-2012, 09:32 PM
The Jizz bigs missed a ton of easy shots tonight that bigs for teams like, say, the Grizzlies and Lakers would make easily. The Spurs should work on rotations that involve doubling bigs like they did against the Lakers, especially now because most of the Jizz wings can't shoot for shit.

timvp
05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
People do know JK = Just Kidding, right? . . .

Spurs4#5
05-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Jazz at home will be much tougher, but this time Splitter will be the first big off the bench not trash bonner

Spurs still sweep though
bonner wasnt first off the bench it was blair...and bonner plays way better D than blair and makes much smarter plays than blair...stop posting for posting sake

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
They were as least as awful as we were good.

In the first half they missed so many wide open shots.

jazz bigs settling for jumpshots 1ft outside the key instead of jamming that shit...fail@al jeff he looked lost tonight with so many easy baskets not going in...

did anyone notice they were gettin physical with gino and parker all game, yet they were let off most of the time....even when up +20, i dont expect the freebies or calls anyway...

game 3 spurs better adjust how the games going to be called, expecting home team to get alot of calls to make it a series or get a win so the mormons have something to talk about

RCJP
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
expecting another blowout win, and rubbish being thrown at our team...fkn mormons

No kidding! We'll see if Utah can keep it classy...:ihit

pgardn
05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
yes understood...
The win was not fools gold.

But the margin and how they just laid down... I expected something more like the 1st game. God the Jazz were just awful.

shorttotry
05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Ok, I just want to give everyone a reality check and throw in my 2 cents. Yes, I was celebrating every shot made, but was anyone else very disappointed in Manu's outing? I mean, the guy is arguably are best player, and in my opinion, played like shit. He definitely needs to pick it up. If he doesn't we're done in the second round...

Other than that, a big, fat, obese props to Leonard and Green. It's fucking playoff time and the two newbies produced in a big way. Both of them.

And I'll also give a shout out to Diaw. Very good performance IMO.

Needless to say Duncan and Parker did what they do. Tim seemed to get more then frustrated at times, but didn't hesitate to attack at any moment during the game. Though he had a few missteps, I give him an A+ for his effort. We're seeing a Duncan that has been missing for quite a few years.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
does the jazz org still put the ball in the fridge b4 games, which makes the ball more heavier for the visiting team??

100%duncan
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I thought eyestalker created this thread when I saw the title tbh.

Whisky Dog
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
There's too many guys on this team who have played so many playoff games besides just the big 3 that I doubt much of a letdown will occur. The Jazz will just play a lot better and the game will be tighter but Pop trusting his guys to make plays + a rested team and rested Big 3 = win in the end.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
There's too many guys on this team who have played so many playoff games besides just the big 3 that I doubt much of a letdown will occur.

Clearly you missed last year's playoffs.

TMTTRIO
05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok, I just want to give everyone a reality check and throw in my 2 cents. Yes, I was celebrating every shot made, but was anyone else very disappointed in Manu's outing? I mean, the guy is arguably are best player, and in my opinion, played like shit. He definitely needs to pick it up. If he doesn't we're done in the second round...
This is what I'm concerned about. Manu has been awful and hasn't had a really good game yet. If we get to the next round can we expect the young guys to continue to step it up again in the next round and get us over the hump for a series if Manu doesn't show up again in the next round.

ElNono
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I liked the defense too though... Spurs were beasting on D the first two quarters...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Totally agree. Jazz will come out strong at home, and if we blow them away again (which I doubt - I see the first close game of the series) they'll get chippy.

GSH
05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
JK. :downspin:

But seriously, there are Burn The Tape losses ... this is a Burn The Tape win. Come Game 3, the Jazz will be a totally different team. While Utah has sucked on the road all season, they've actually been really good at home.

I see no reason to change my sweep prediction obviously but tonight didn't exactly help matters. If the Spurs come out sleepwalking in Salt Lake City, they could drop a game and needlessly extend this series.

I said when you predicted the sweep that I expect the zebras to swallow their whistles for one of the games - probably in Utah. I could see the next game being a Utah W. When the Spurs have a game where everything is falling, they usually struggle the next game. (Probably true of all teams, I don't know.) And I don't think Utah will shoot as badly as they did tonight, no matter how well the Spurs defend.

Utah is a brutal place to play, and the refs have a hard time not giving in to the crowd at least a little bit. I was joking around in the game thread, but the Jazz shot 23 FT's tonight, compared to just 10 for the Spurs. That's a pretty big advantage, for a road team that tends to foul a lot anyway. If the Spurs aren't prepared to overcome some adversity, they could drop the next one in Utah.

On the other hand, the Spurs are getting the practice sessions they couldn't get all season. I think that made a big difference tonight. As good as the Spurs have been playing lately, they still may not have peaked. I'm liking the sweep a lot more than I did before the series started.

FromWayDowntown
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
A playoff road win has been pretty elusive for the Spurs in recent years.

Since the start of the 2008 playoffs, the Spurs are 3-16 on the road in the playoffs.

Since winning Game 7 of the 2008 WCSF at New Orleans, they're 1-12.

This circumstance certainly appears different, but getting a road win is long overdue.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 10:28 PM
for the last 2 games especially in scrub minutes...is anyone pissed that the scrubs on the team are chucking so they can move up the rotation or whatever their individual goals are....they should be executing playbook plays instead of doing stupid shit on the court where they will continue to ride the bench with more mistakes in pops eyes....

i assume pop has already made up his mind of the playoff roster rotation anyway...

shraediggz
05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
This is what I'm concerned about. Manu has been awful and hasn't had a really good game yet. If we get to the next round can we expect the young guys to continue to step it up again in the next round and get us over the hump for a series if Manu doesn't show up again in the next round.

Even Timmy had a bit of a stretch where he was looking awful out there (after the slip and fall). I know it's tempting to think Utah will come back with a vengeance, but some of our guys have been sub-par (Manu making terrible passes and Tim fumbling a few gimme's from Diaw). I imagine those two will look sharper in game 3 and that their efforts will keep us in it no matter how strong Utah comes at us.

I expect the next two games to be tighter though, like they played us in the regular season.

GSH
05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
A playoff road win has been pretty elusive for the Spurs in recent years.

Since the start of the 2008 playoffs, the Spurs are 3-16 on the road in the playoffs.

Since winning Game 7 of the 2008 WCSF at New Orleans, they're 1-12.

This circumstance certainly appears different, but getting a road win is long overdue.

They didn't have many 31 point wins at home during that stretch, either. But they did have Richard Jefferson. :lol

Obstructed_View
05-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Next round? Expect Manu to beast in the next game in Utah. He feeds on the tears of hostile crowds, and Salt Lake City hates him.

J.T.
05-02-2012, 10:43 PM
This playoffs has been the perfect storm for the Spurs so far. Lakers and Thunder on a collision course, Clippers pulling off the greatest basketball playoff comeback this side of the alternate future where Manu never fouls Dirk in 2006 and the unfortunate injury to Derrick Rose likely costing Chicago whatever fighting chance anyone was going to give them against Miami in the first place.

Pop has to sense that this team knows what its identity is right now and just has to stay focused and they should be able to win any series. The opponents to come will get tougher than the Jazz, but getting done with this series quickly is a net positive for the Spurs what with Splitter and Bonner getting bruised up in the first two games. Heal up and let Clips-Grizz drag it out.

J.T.
05-02-2012, 10:43 PM
This playoffs has been the perfect storm for the Spurs so far. Lakers and Thunder on a collision course, Clippers pulling off the greatest basketball playoff comeback this side of the alternate future where Manu never fouls Dirk in 2006 and the unfortunate injury to Derrick Rose likely costing Chicago whatever fighting chance anyone was going to give them against Miami in the first place.

Pop has to sense that this team knows what its identity is right now and just has to stay focused and they should be able to win any series. The opponents to come will get tougher than the Jazz, but getting done with this series quickly is a net positive for the Spurs what with Splitter and Bonner getting bruised up in the first two games. Heal up and let Clips-Grizz drag it out.

Whisky Dog
05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Clearly you missed last year's playoffs.

Obviously I missed the one you watched, the one where the Spurs swept the first two games at home and won game two by damn near 30 pts. You must have been watching from your obstructed view.

crc21209
05-02-2012, 11:26 PM
The Spurs have to be ready for everything to be thrown at them on Saturday, which should be the Jazz's best punch in this fight. The Jazz are going to come out pumped, as well as their fans, and we all know how much the fans influence the refs in SLC as well....

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 11:58 PM
The Spurs have to be ready for everything to be thrown at them on Saturday, which should be the Jazz's best punch in this fight. The Jazz are going to come out pumped, as well as their fans, and we all know how much the fans influence the refs in SLC as well....

not concern about their players, its the officiating that we should be concern about....expecting to see alot of phantom touch fouls

Obstructed_View
05-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Obviously I missed the one you watched, the one where the Spurs swept the first two games at home and won game two by damn near 30 pts. You must have been watching from your obstructed view.

Do you understand the difference between this year and last year? Your response seems to indicate that you don't. Let me spell it out for you: The Spurs had veterans with a lot of playoff wins last year and it didn't help them. And if you don't think losing to an 8 seed is a let down, then I don't know how to help you from my obstructed view. :lol

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm honestly hoping that Utah makes a very tough game of it and forces the Spurs' younger players to deal with the pressure of closing out a game and the level of execution needed to win on the road in the playoffs during the last 2 minutes, because there will be at least 2 tight games next series.

Rummpd
05-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Nothing fools gold about this - Spurs win big without Bonner contributing = best possible result.

Beanzamillion21
05-03-2012, 09:40 AM

I don't think so. Many of the foreigners on here take thinks too seriously.

Fireball
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
I rely on the fact that the Spurs looked very calm and collected in all road games since the RRT ... they just play confident regardless of the crowds hostility. At home they sometimes try too much (for the fans?), but on the road they are executing like a machine.

Lets sweep them ...

Mel_13
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
With Tony Parker and Tim Duncan on the floor the Spurs have outscored the Jazz 140 to 81 in Games 1 and 2

http://twitter.com/#!/Lockedonsports/status/198077284983377920

:wow

Mugen
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
With Tony Parker and Tim Duncan on the floor the Spurs have outscored the Jazz 140 to 81 in Games 1 and 2

http://twitter.com/#!/Lockedonsports/status/198077284983377920 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Lockedonsports/status/198077284983377920)

:wow

That's not fair. :lol

Horse
05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
This team is experienced enough to know the jazz will come out swinging however we weather the storm and take their souls! Besides I believe our bench would win in 7 against their starters.