PDA

View Full Version : Completing the sweep

angelbelow
05-03-2012, 01:19 AM
I had a good feeling that game 2 was going to be a blow out. Games 3 and 4 will undoubtedly be tougher but I think we can close out the series in Utah.

Some keys to victory

- Continue to dare Harris and Hayward to shoot. Their confidence in their shot should be improved at home - so its important to contest jumpers and drain the shot clock. In games 1 and 2, Harris is averaging just 23% from shots taken outside the paint. Gordon is only slightly better at 26% from shots taken outside the paint. The Utah Jazz team as a whole is only shooting 31% from the perimeter.

- Continue to dominant the paint. The Spurs scored 120 pts inside the paint in games 1 and 2 alone. They've outscored the Jazz by an average of 20ppg in that department. The strong effort doesn't stop with their offense either, the Jazz have been limited to only shooting 29% from the paint (not including baskets made inside the restricted area). For comparison, The Jazz are 43% from the painted area in the regular season, the Spurs are 42% in the paint in the playoffs and the league average amongst playoff teams is 43%.

- Do a better job on the boards.
In Game 1:
Spurs - 39 rebs
Jazz - 45 rebs

In Game 2:
Spurs - 44 rebs
Jazz - 43 rebs

The rebounding battle was pretty close in game 1. The Jazz had 6 more rebounds (3 of those offensive) than we did. However, they were not able to translate that into much of an advantage (only 5 2nd chance points.)

Despite being up 25 points in the first half of game 2, I thought we gave up too many offensive rebound. Giving up 9 offensive rebounds in the 1st half to a young and energetic Jazz team on their home court is probably a bad idea.

- Limit their fast break points like in game 2. Only 9pts through the first 3 quarters unlike game 1 where they had 17.