PDA

View Full Version : Grow your own organs.

RandomGuy
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
"induced pluripotent stem cells".

Sounds like a term for Agloco. I wonder if guys with beards thought it up.

There's an 80% chance that in five months Bill Weir will be the first person ever to see his cardiac tissue beating outside his body.

Last week Bill visited Dr. Tim Nelson at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to report on a revolutionary new stem cell treatment that would have sounded like science fiction even five years ago.

Different from the controversial embryonic stem cell treatment, Dr. Nelson's team took a biopsy from Bill's Bicep and are in the process of turning those cells into his own beating cardiac tissue; tissue that will beat at the same rate as the heart in his chest.

And this isn't just for the heart. After the biopsy is taken, doctors are able to wipe the hard drive of the cells and use them to create brain and lung tissue as well.

What this means is that in the future you may be able to go to your doctor and deposit a batch of cells, and if you have a stroke or heart attack later in life they'll be able to use those cells to repair the damage.

THere is a video, with more information here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/grow-own-organs-173451147.html

Viva Las Espuelas
05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I grow my organ nightly :toast

cantthinkofanything
05-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Organ growth aid:

http://funnycrave.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Hot-Girl-With-Tattoo-4.jpg

mouse
05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I wonder if guys with beards thought it up.

So they are "Creating" new tissue?

Why not just use cells from an Ape and wait for them to Evolve?

If you listen to the call on my signature I say why doesn't "Science" spend more time on finding cures for us to live instead of locating a fossil on Mars.

Wait till Science creates a planet and puts life on it your silly Evolution theories are looking weaker as every day passes.

El Chorizo
05-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I grow my organ nightly :toast

:lmao Beat me to it.

cantthinkofanything
05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
:lmao Beat me to it.

bring Kleenex

Agloco
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
So they are "Creating" new tissue?

Why not just use cells from an Ape and wait for them to Evolve?

If you listen to the call on my signature I say why doesn't "Science" spend more time on finding cures for us to live instead of locating a fossil on Mars.

Wait till Science creates a planet and puts life on it your silly Evolution theories are looking weaker as every day passes.

smh

Agloco
05-04-2012, 09:53 AM
"induced pluripotent stem cells".

Sounds like a term for Agloco. I wonder if guys with beards thought it up.

THere is a video, with more information here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/grow-own-organs-173451147.html

I've seen reports from Mayo about this in the past. Nice to see that they've found a way to harvest, de-differentiate and regrow multiple cell lines. Powerful stuff.

Wild Cobra
05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
For those of us who object to embryonic stem cells research funded by tax dollars, Here is yet again another example to show that stem cell research need not be from embryos.

Has there yet been any promising research come from embryonic stem cells?