PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo = one of the most overrated superstar in the league

TDfan2007
05-03-2012, 09:53 PM
The guy has no game outside of pullup jumpers and occasionally bulling his way to the basket from the post. He's a below average passer, a mediocre defender, and only a decent ball handler. Perhaps my biggest problem with Melo though is his laziness. Dude is out of shape, and doesn't show nearly enough leadership on the defensive end.

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Glenn Robinson, tbh..

ALVAREZ6
05-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Melo being overrated has been fact for quite some years now.

TDfan2007
05-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Don't tell the media that. They all still call him the best scorer in the game...

redzero
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM

I don't really think he's rated that highly anymore. There were all those people who claimed that he was the best scorer in the league, but that seems to have died down.

Josepatches_
05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Overrated? Yes

But LeBron is playing great defense.

ALVAREZ6
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't really think he's rated that highly anymore. There were all those people who claimed that he was the best scorer in the league, but that seems to have died down.

Well, that's sort of my point. It's already well-established in the media/ESPN that Melo does not play defense and can't be mentioned with the likes of LeBron, Wade, Durant, etc. So I suppose you could say that 2-4 years ago he was overrated.

It was painful for me to hear a few "analysts" (more like entertainers..ESPN is a joke) believing the Knicks would give the Heat a good series, and if things go right that they could beat the Heat, and that was just absurd. There is no way any rational person arrives to that conclusion after the season they've had. They played alright during a few stretches but finished barely over .500, going up against arguably the strongest and most reliable team.

I can't stand guys with peanut brains but loads of talent like Melo, it's a complete waste. Earlier this spring he had the audacity, when asked, to name his top 5 players in the league and of course he named himself, when LeBron, Wade, Durant, Kobe, Dirk, Howard, Paul, Deron Williams, and a few others are strictly higher quality players. It seems like often times when people are naming their top players in the league they go straight to the great scorers that are in the 6'6"-6'9" range and don't consider all around game.

If you start a draft of all current NBA players, without considering age, no rational franchise is taking Melo in the top 10.

Quadzilla99
05-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Jesus God, he has been horrible this series.

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2012, 02:37 AM
this knick team is probably worst then the nuggets team when they had camby dpoy where they were exposed in the first round by the spurs

Proxy
05-04-2012, 03:27 AM
His 1v1 offense is top tier. He is playing with a crippled Knicks team... he's the primary focus for a great defensive Miami squad so I wouldn't use this series as a good indicator of his value.

Technique
05-04-2012, 03:50 AM
His 1v1 offense is top tier. He is playing with a crippled Knicks team... he's the primary focus for a great defensive Miami squad so I wouldn't use this series as a good indicator of his value.

Someone with rationale.

mavs>spurs
05-04-2012, 03:59 AM
he honestly does have the "potential" to be the best scorer in the game but he's more wasting it. his offensive repertoire is about as complete as it gets when he actually wants to play like it.

NewcastleKEG
05-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Comparing two Small Forwards

James much quicker feet on defense. Obviously a better vertical in general

The only thing Anthony has better than James is jumper & post moves.

jestersmash
05-04-2012, 05:00 AM
He's overrated but not that overrated. In reality he's a rank 7-10 player but the media will often portray him as being a rank 4-6 player in addition to being one of the top "clutch" scorers in the league.

Derrick Rose to me is the most overrated "superstar" in the league. His MVP award was an absolute travesty.

mavs>spurs
05-04-2012, 05:02 AM
^yeah well he won't be overrated for much longer. he ain't recovering from an ACL injury, he's all athleticism and little skill.

Cry Havoc
05-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Calling Melo a "mediocre" defender is like saying Amare has a high BBIQ.

Melo would make the all-NBA worst defensive starter team EVERY year he has ever been in the NBA.

FkLA
05-04-2012, 05:12 AM
^Melo can be a good defender when he wants to. When he led the Nuggets to the WCF that one year he was played really good defense and was easily a Top 5 player in the league. I think if the Knicks ever become legit contenders we can see that Melo again, he seems like the type of player that lacks motivation when his team is simply average/sucks.

NewcastleKEG
05-04-2012, 05:15 AM
He's overrated but not that overrated. In reality he's a rank 7-10 player but the media will often portray him as being a rank 4-6 player in addition to being one of the top "clutch" scorers in the league.

Derrick Rose to me is the most overrated "superstar" in the league. His MVP award was an absolute travesty.
Rose averaged 25 & 7 while leading a remarkable W-L turnaround with Boozer & Noah missing a big portion of the season

You are an idiot

NewcastleKEG
05-04-2012, 05:16 AM
^yeah well he won't be overrated for much longer. he ain't recovering from an ACL injury, he's all athleticism and little skill.
Just like monkeyball Griffin & RG3

Koolaid_Man
05-04-2012, 06:42 AM
The guy has no game outside of pullup jumpers and occasionally bulling his way to the basket from the post. He's a below average passer, a mediocre defender, and only a decent ball handler. Perhaps my biggest problem with Melo though is his laziness. Dude is out of shape, and doesn't show nearly enough leadership on the defensive end.

Hey TOSBfan2007 let me explain what's happening with Melo....

Dude drinks too much and it's affecting his game....If these guys would be more like Kobe and leave the alcohol alone in the off-season...their bodies would reward them or pay them back at this time of the season but they just don't get it...It's the reason Kobe is lasting as long as he have at a very high level he doesn't drink unless he's celebrating a title after game 7 :toast

rayjayjohnson
05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
You need to stop drinking Kobe's spunk

Koolaid_Man
05-04-2012, 06:51 AM
You need to stop drinking Kobe's spunk

You need to skip breakfast, lunch, and dinner today in order to prep for a late night of drinking Laker fan spunk...we're gonna serve it up choo-choo train style :lol

rayjayjohnson
05-04-2012, 06:53 AM
You're such a fuckwit

Koolaid_Man
05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
You're such a fuckwit

I know you are but what am I :lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Glenn Robinson, tbh..

lol u comparing him to glen robinson.....at leasts glen robinson lowered his self esteem to ride spurs coat tail for a championship ring :downspin:

jag
05-04-2012, 07:34 AM
^Melo can be a good defender when he wants to. When he led the Nuggets to the WCF that one year he was played really good defense and was easily a Top 5 player in the league. I think if the Knicks ever become legit contenders we can see that Melo again, he seems like the type of player that lacks motivation when his team is simply average/sucks.

Oh, you mean a selfish, frontrunning quitter? Yeah does seem like that type of player.

JamStone
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Not sure if he's really overrated. Most people know what he is. He's a very good scorer capable of huge games but in general gives you very little else on the court and can very often be lazy and selfish. That's how I think most people view Melo.

But as far as his scoring ability and being one of the best or most versatile scorers in the league, I think it still applies. Motivation and effort don't change his talent on offense. He has the talent to be one of the best scorers in the league. That doesn't mean he maximizes his talents or that his scoring ability results in wins or great leadership or great defense or anything else. It just means he's a really good scorer.

I wouldn't put all of this on Melo. He shares blame but there are plenty of flaws to the Knicks team and they're dealing with several injuries, and they're going up against a more talented team. I don't think people put Melo in the class of LeBron or Durant or even guys like Kobe and CP3. Melo is lazy and a wasted talent to some degree, but I don't think he's overrated right now.

Spurs9
05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I have not been impressed with any game I've seen Melo play in this year. crofl at best scorer in league

ElNono
05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
According to TNT, he has the lowest FG% in the playoffs since 1991... That can't be a coincidence at this point, can it?

Technique
05-04-2012, 01:50 PM
According to TNT, he has the lowest FG% in the playoffs since 1991... That can't be a coincidence at this point, can it?

That was the lowest playoff winning %. But, in his defense he had to go up against the Lakers how many times, Nuggets were always a solid team, but never a contender.

z0sa
05-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Carmelo = one of the most overrated superstar in the league

The sky is blue
water is wet
koolaid man is gay
etc

lefty
05-04-2012, 01:57 PM
So he is just a fatter version of Kobe

DPG21920
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Carmelo = one of the most overrated superstar in the league

The sky is blue
water is wet
koolaid man is gay
etc

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gp/Grant+Hill+Jada+Pinkett+Smith+dating+aV3d23eXOUJl. jpg

Timeout! Using Koolaidman to mean gay isn't cool. It's offensive to gay people and not funny. Not in this house, not ever.

pass1st
05-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Carmelo & superstar in the same sentence :lol

He would make a great 6th man :tu

jestersmash
05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Rose averaged 25 & 7 while leading a remarkable W-L turnaround with Boozer & Noah missing a big portion of the season

You are an idiot

And it still doesn't change the fact that Bron deserved MVP last season in addition to this season.

Hell, I'd put Leborn and K.D. above Rose for MVP last season. Rose should've been 3rd.

But you're a Bulls fan, so of course you'll bring shitty takes when people doubt the integrity of your precious goldenboy's MVP trophy.

z0sa
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gp/Grant+Hill+Jada+Pinkett+Smith+dating+aV3d23eXOUJl. jpg

Timeout! Using Koolaidman to mean gay isn't cool. It's offensive to gay people and not funny. Not in this house, not ever.

my bad DPG :tu

gays shouldn't have to deal with that low of an insult tbh

NewcastleKEG
05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
And it still doesn't change the fact that Bron deserved MVP last season in addition to this season.

Hell, I'd put Leborn and K.D. above Rose for MVP last season. Rose should've been 3rd.

But you're a Bulls fan, so of course you'll bring shitty takes when people doubt the integrity of your precious goldenboy's MVP trophy.
Yes the guy who plays with 2 other superstars but couldn't even manage the best record in the league deserves an MVP award.

It's the MVP award, not Best Player in the League award.

If Jordan didn't get the MVP every year of his career, you damn well know James & his sidekicking isn't going to do it

jesterbobman
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
When People say Rose didn't deserve the MVP award, it's a focus on saying the rest of that team is pretty awesome. The bigs are all really good, Deng is really good as a 2 way players, and the SG rotation of Brewer/Korver/Bogans was above average. Rose was the most central/important part of their offense, and they would have been/are worse without him, but not so drastically that it makes him MVP.

Quadzilla99
05-05-2012, 11:01 AM
If he's such a great scorer jhow come he's shooting like 34% in the last two playoffs?

Quadzilla99
05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
If Lebron had Carmelo's tunnel vision he could average 35 and on +50% shooting.

Jodelo
05-05-2012, 11:20 AM

You are an idiot

On his usual great 8-25 nights...

ElNono
05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
That was the lowest playoff winning %. But, in his defense he had to go up against the Lakers how many times, Nuggets were always a solid team, but never a contender.

Thanks for the correction.

tbqh, he always been a ball hog. So it wouldn't necessarily be unfair to pin the loses on him, IMO.

Plus, they were good enough to reach the WCF that one time.

Pelicans78
05-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes the guy who plays with 2 other superstars but couldn't even manage the best record in the league deserves an MVP award.

It's the MVP award, not Best Player in the League award.

If Jordan didn't get the MVP every year of his career, you damn well know James & his sidekicking isn't going to do it

Get your head out of your ass. Go look at what Lebron does for his team and the pieces around him. Outside of Bosh and Wade (who've been hurt this season), Lebron pretty much does everything. He doesn't need his bench as much as Rose did. Lebron does more for his team than Rose could ever do. Admit it and you'll feel better. Quit acting so incompetent all the time.

dbreiden83080
05-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Don't tell the media that. They all still call him the best scorer in the game...

This made me laugh when Chuck said it.. How is he a better scorer than Lebron or Durant exactly?

JamStone
05-06-2012, 11:28 AM
This made me laugh when Chuck said it.. How is he a better scorer than Lebron or Durant exactly?

Probably a subjective difference in the definition of the words "better" and "best."

Melo isn't a better player than either LeBron or Durant. And all three are capable of huge, explosive, scoring games. The big difference with Carmelo is the various ways he is able to score. He's a better post scorer than either. Plus, for much of his career, he's also been one of the better offensive rebounding small forwards in the league. So Melo doesn't just score attacking the rim the way LeBron frequently does. Nor does he just score hitting jumper after jumper like Durant is often able to do. Melo scores with midrange jumpers, with back-to-the-basket moves, with slashing and attacking the basket, in transition, off offensive putbacks, and with long range shooting even though he's not a great 3 point shooter. "Best" is probably not the best adjective. But Carmelo is certainly one of the "most versatile" scorers in the league. I think that's what people are suggesting when they comment about his ability as a scorer.

It doesn't make him a better player. And it doesn't necessarily mean he's the better scorer. But as a scorer, he has more different ways he can score than most players in the league, including guys like LeBron and Durant. But again, that means very little if that scoring doesn't translate into the team winning. The "Dominique" factor.