PDA

View Full Version : Music gear

flipspursfan
05-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey ST!! Calling out the musicians out there! What kind of gear do you guys use and why? Does it suit your playing style, technical specs and all that? Doesn't matter what instrument just wanna hear what musicians on the board use :)

I myself have a Fender Squier Stratocaster California Series guitar which I bought 7 years ago. Not too much changes except for pickups and strings. I liked the instrument at the time for its relative cheapness and sharp, cutting sound.

For drums, I use a Tama Swingstar 20" with Zildjian ZXT Cymbals and Remo Pinstripe drumheads which I bought 5 years ago. Love the tight, low sound provided by the poplar wood and the bright, cutting (yet enigmatic) sound of the ZXT's.

Fire away musicians!! Let's have a discussion :toast

JudynTX
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
My husband owns 3 electric guitars. I just know one is a Flying V.

Are you in a band?

flipspursfan
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Are you in a band?

Pretty cool! I've always thought Flying V's to be cool, I'm just not tall or big enough to handle one properly :lol

Yeah I am, in a couple. But other than some gigs at clubs and bars here and there, nothing really special about us :depressed :lol

JudynTX
05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Let us hear what you sound like. :D

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
A blue kazzoo. It gives me nice time.

flipspursfan
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Let us hear what you sound like. :D

Haven't recorded any of our songs sadly :( But one of my bands play Jazz-fusion instrumental group while the other plays grunge rock. A bit of a difference i know but the difference in genre keeps my playing sharp, what does your husband play? :)

flipspursfan
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
A blue kazzoo. It gives me nice time.

Cool, good for you! :toast

z0sa
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
my baby is a custom ES-335 I bought myself about 6 years back now .... det's my pride and joy and wouldnt trade it for the hottest woman tbh. My amp is a 50 watt Marshall valvestate I bought around the same time. I have a BOSS multi effects setup for whenever I get really high/drunk or wanna imitate a Pink Floyd song perfectly but usually I just play my beautiful bitch on clean :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Cool, good for you! :toast

Yes. I'm saving up for a red one.

manufan10
05-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Are you in a band?

Husband?

You told me he was just a guy friend.

:depressed :cry

:lol

JudynTX
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Haven't recorded any of our songs sadly :( But one of my bands play Jazz-fusion instrumental group while the other plays grunge rock. A bit of a difference i know but the difference in genre keeps my playing sharp, what does your husband play? :)

Not a fan of grunge anything. :lol My husband just plays for fun, wishes he was in a band.

Husband?

You told me he was just a guy friend.

:depressed :cry

:lol

:frying:

ChumpDumper
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Couple of American jazz basses. Yorkville XS800 head. Avatar 2x10 and 2x12 cabs.GK Backline 210 amp I got for the cab price due to a Guitar Center ad error for practice

Tacoma acoustic bass. Amazing full sound but super fragile. Would never gig or travel with that one. Have the Chinese Olympia replica of it for that which still sounds better unplugged than anything on the market today. Size matters.

American Telecaster modified with a humbucker at the neck if I'm chucking around on rhythm guitar. Deluxe Nashville Power Telecaster if I'm switching between electric and acoustic sounds. Borrow or rent amps if I'm performing -- not good enough to merit my own decent amp yet.

Various other cheap crap I enjoy playing for one reason or another but should get rid of.

cantthinkofanything
05-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Wish I had the funds to drop $ on musical gear.

Have lots of random stuff but my favorites are:

Tacoma Koa Chief guitar (before they were bought by Fender)
Tacoma DM acoustic ...for the money, the best sounding acoustic I've played

silverblk mystix
05-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Telecaster- made by Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars
Super light weight swamp ash in white blonde, A Seymour Duncan 5-2 in the neck and a Fralin Steel Pole 43 in the bridge, flamed birdseye maple neck, great-great Tele.

Stratocaster- made by Bob Logan, super light swamp ash body in white blond, rosewood fingerboard, Seymour Duncan SSL-1's in the neck and middle and a Fralin Steel Pole 43 for strats in the bridge, my baby.

Amps;

Tweed Victoria Deluxe 20112- with Marconi New Old Stock 6v6 tubes, RCA NOS 5y3, and Mullard 12ax7's and 12ay7, Eminence Legend Speaker, Tweed heaven.

A Blackface Princeton Reverb --but special ordered in Lacquered Tweed- built by Rick Hayes at Vintage Sound amps, it is basically a Princeton Reverb the way that Leo Fender built them back in the 50's and 60's, point-to-point hand wired, top of the line components,etc...NOS 6v6 RCA's,etc...

bunch of other odds and ends, knicks and knacks, cords, pedals, etc...

If anyone is interested, check out Logan Custom Guitars and see what he's got. For example, my Strat or Tele cost me 899 shipped to my door and they are the best Strat and Tele I have ever played.

Nitro finish, super lightweight wood, perfectly set-up, etc.
If Fender were to sell this same guitar they would charge 3,000 dollars and up and it probably would not be as good.

If you buy an American Strat for 1000 to 2000 dollars they have a poly finish, inferior parts, heavy wood, sloppy set-up,etc.

Check em out. Bob Logan is just a guy who loves Teles and Strats and loves to build them however way you want them in whatever color nitro you want it.
You choose the wood, the size of the neck, frets,pickups,tuners,etc.

flipspursfan
05-05-2012, 07:55 AM
my baby is a custom ES-335 I bought myself about 6 years back now .... det's my pride and joy and wouldnt trade it for the hottest woman tbh. My amp is a 50 watt Marshall valvestate I bought around the same time. I have a BOSS multi effects setup for whenever I get really high/drunk or wanna imitate a Pink Floyd song perfectly but usually I just play my beautiful bitch on clean :tu

Son, pretty SICK set up! Damn, I bet you like playing heavy while you're on that Marshall amp of yours! What I'd do to be able to buy an amp like that. I myself use a Zoom GFX-5 multi effects set up, it's pretty handy with all it's different (and strange) effects. Plus, I like the fact that I can make my own. But daaaaaamn, yours is killer!! :wow :toast

flipspursfan
05-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Couple of American jazz basses. Yorkville XS800 head. Avatar 2x10 and 2x12 cabs.GK Backline 210 amp I got for the cab price due to a Guitar Center ad error for practice

Tacoma acoustic bass. Amazing full sound but super fragile. Would never gig or travel with that one. Have the Chinese Olympia replica of it for that which still sounds better unplugged than anything on the market today. Size matters.

American Telecaster modified with a humbucker at the neck if I'm chucking around on rhythm guitar. Deluxe Nashville Power Telecaster if I'm switching between electric and acoustic sounds. Borrow or rent amps if I'm performing -- not good enough to merit my own decent amp yet.

Various other cheap crap I enjoy playing for one reason or another but should get rid of.

Pretty decent gear son. When you get the $, you should definitely get yourself a good amp. I'd recommend a Marshall if you want raw power or a Behringer if you're the kind who prefers playing around with the sound. Dammit, I'm now wondering if I should've started this thread since ST's musicians absolutely DESTROY my gear :lol

What kind of music do you play? :)

flipspursfan
05-05-2012, 08:01 AM
ST shitting on my gear right now :lol Damn I'm jealous of everybody!! I only got 3 guitars, and one is dirt cheap. My drumset's pretty solid though, no complaints about that. Unless someone comes in here and has a Tama Starclassic or one of those high-end Pearls :lol But seriously though, awesome to hear there are ST musicians :toast

RaZon
05-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I play the harmonica. Lee Oskar G being my fav but I have a few of them. I started out trying to mimic...

Zj293l5w2MU&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Bh1QbMph2RsCXgzZgUXmRe (http://Zj293l5w2MU&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Bh1QbMph2RsCXgzZgUXmRe)

That isn't Sonny Boy Williamson, it's a picture of Rice Miller.

I also try to copy other old blues players like Noah Lewis, Hammie Nixon and Jaybird Coleman. Took me a good year or so to get to where I could play close to those I listened to. Little Walter being on another level.

I have no idea what I'm actually doing but I make it work.

cantthinkofanything
05-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I play the harmonica. Lee Oskar G being my fav but I have a few of them. I started out trying to mimic...

Zj293l5w2MU&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Bh1QbMph2RsCXgzZgUXmRe (http://Zj293l5w2MU&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Bh1QbMph2RsCXgzZgUXmRe)

That isn't Sonny Boy Williamson, it's a picture of Rice Miller.

I also try to copy other old blues players like Noah Lewis, Hammie Nixon and Jaybird Coleman. Took me a good year or so to get to where I could play close to those I listened to. Little Walter being on another level.

I have no idea what I'm actually doing but I make it work.

You're being modest. I bet you're a pro on the skin flute.

ok...last post...starting...now

Viva Las Espuelas
05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
ST shitting on my gear right now :lol Damn I'm jealous of everybody!! I only got 3 guitars, and one is dirt cheap. My drumset's pretty solid though, no complaints about that. Unless someone comes in here and has a Tama Starclassic or one of those high-end Pearls :lol But seriously though, awesome to hear there are ST musicians :toast

I have Starclassic Selects. When Starclassic first came out. All custom. Took 6 months to make.

flipspursfan
05-06-2012, 01:07 AM
I have Starclassic Selects. When Starclassic first came out. All custom. Took 6 months to make.

Damn, how much did you spend on all of it? :wow

Viva Las Espuelas
05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Not much at all, really. It was back in the mid 90s. With cases, it was around $2800.

SA DAVE
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I just bought a Line6 Spider Jam amp last week. I have to say, it's a damn good amp - I'm really liking the drum loops, guitar backing band loops, and extra inputs for a microphone/another guitar. I'm sure I could have bought a pretty decent amp for the money, but I think I made out alright. I have an Epi Les Paul Standard that I plug right into it. I also use an Ibananez electric/acoustic, but the feedback is just too much some times.

Does anyone else have any experience with Line6 or a spider jam? I'm still trying to figure out the volume levels on play back when I loop something with my RC3 looper.

cantthinkofanything
11-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I just bought a Line6 Spider Jam amp last week. I have to say, it's a damn good amp - I'm really liking the drum loops, guitar backing band loops, and extra inputs for a microphone/another guitar. I'm sure I could have bought a pretty decent amp for the money, but I think I made out alright. I have an Epi Les Paul Standard that I plug right into it. I also use an Ibananez electric/acoustic, but the feedback is just too much some times.

Does anyone else have any experience with Line6 or a spider jam? I'm still trying to figure out the volume levels on play back when I loop something with my RC3 looper.

I've used some Line6 stuff in the past. Had a pod and a couple other modeler pedals. For the money, I was happy with the products.

SA DAVE
11-06-2012, 11:15 AM
For the money, I was happy with the products.

That's exactly what everyone tells me :greedy

cantthinkofanything
11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
That's exactly what everyone tells me :greedy

What's wrong with that? I don't really know what you expected to hear. The quality of your music gear is largely determined by how much you're willing to spend. If money is no object, then you can get top of the line. But at the upper end, you're getting smaller and smaller increases in quality relative to the amount spent.

I wasn't trying to short Line6 with my comments. When I used their products, I never sat there and criticized their sound or function. They all did what I expected them to do and I enjoyed using them.
If you're happy with the results, who cares what everyone tells you.

SA DAVE
11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
What's wrong with that? I don't really know what you expected to hear. The quality of your music gear is largely determined by how much you're willing to spend. If money is no object, then you can get top of the line. But at the upper end, you're getting smaller and smaller increases in quality relative to the amount spent.

I wasn't trying to short Line6 with my comments. When I used their products, I never sat there and criticized their sound or function. They all did what I expected them to do and I enjoyed using them.
If you're happy with the results, who cares what everyone tells you.

There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I agree with everything you said. I may even go as so far as saying it's even better than expected for the price. I was in the market for a modeling amp above 50 watts that was versatile and relatively inexpensive. I originally wanted a Fender G-Dec, but I think I got a better deal with the Line6. Based on this experience, I'd readily purchase another Line6 product.
:toast

cantthinkofanything
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I agree with everything you said. I may even go as so far as saying it's even better than expected for the price. I was in the market for a modeling amp above 50 watts that was versatile and relatively inexpensive. I originally wanted a Fender G-Dec, but I think I got a better deal with the Line6. Based on this experience, I'd readily purchase another Line6 product.
:toast

:toast Enjoy it while you can. I wish I still had time to play once in a while.