PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NY Giants Offseason Discussion

TIMMYtoZO
05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I have loved this offseason. The draft and free agency have added depth and versatility for the Giants.

Eli
Bradshaw/Wilson/Scott
Nicks/Cruz/Randle/JJ and maybe Hixon
A solid O-line plus a few rookies who could surprise
Robinson is gonna be a very good TE. Reese is high on him. Reese/Coughlin are also high on Christain Hopkins.

Giants D-Line was flat out nasty last year. Add in Marvin Austin and you have an even nastier front 4. Shaun Rogers was added for depth and they still have Canty. Kiwi will be a DE with Osi on the other side.

The linebackers are young (Minus Boley, but he is only 29) and will only get better with a full training camp and a year of experience. Rivers could be a very nice addition if he stays healthy.

The secondary is going to be much much better with Amukamara being more experienced and Thomas returning.

What is your opinion on all the moves the Giants made?

How do you think Jerry Reese will handle Osi and his contract demands? I expect him to keep Osi, and let him walk next year. All of Osi's teamates love the guy regardless.

DeadlyDynasty
05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Giants improved their roster for sure. It's gonna come down to their brutal schedule again. They cant afford to lose games to the Redskins this year. If they make the playoffs then i wouldnt bet against them to repeat.

Vici
05-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Osi will be a Giant until the end of his contract. He is often injured but we only need him as a situational player these days... that's how sick that line is. I love the Rogers pickup. I know that he's old, but when you have two bowl caliber DEs on either side of you, things are going to pick up.

I don't expect much out of Austin this year, and I don't think Reese or Coughlin do either since they picked up Rodgers. This will be two years now since he's played a football game. The speed of the game will be a bit too much for him early on (to say nothing about his strength or conditioning). Our back 4 are going to be fucking sick. If TT is anywhere near healthy, it's game over for the league. Prince only got better as the year wore on and Hosley would have been a mid first founder if he wasn't an idiot and 3 inches taller. Thankfully the Giants only need to use him as a Dime back at worst.

LBers aren't good but they don't need to be in the Giants' scheme. Their only job is to cover and stop the run, it's up to our D-Line to make things happen.

I can't say enough about how much I love this draft. Wilson doesn't need to be special his first year, just adequate. If all that he can do is catch a pass out of the backfield, the Giants' offense will be exceptionally better. Randle is what makes this draft though. He is a first round talent that fell to the Giants at the end of the second, and is probably the second most NFL ready WR in the draft. The best part of the pick, the thing that makes this fucking beautiful, is that all he needs to be is the third WR. As an NFL ready rookie, playing along side two of the best receivers in the game, he's going to have the easiest job out of any rookie this year. He's taller than Manningham, about 20 times smarter, and supposedly has great hands. Great great great pick.

Robinson will be interesting. He is the most physically gifted TE to come out since Vernon Davis, and is probably the most raw. The coaching staff at Cincinatti rarely used him outside of blocking which makes his skillset questionable (only because of lack of attempts, not skill). However, he has the best TE coach in the league in Mike Pope. Ie Pope can turn fucking Ballard into an average to good TE, imagine what he can do with this kid.

The two OT that were taken in the 4th and 6th are both very interesting. McCants, though taken later, has the higher upside but is very raw. Mosley can be a starter in a year or two at RT once he bulks up a bit. I love watching these guys in the pres-season games because the Giants typically strike gold with the OL in the later rounds.

It's very easy to be a Giants fan right now. The Giants have year in and year out outsmarted the rest of the league in personell moves. The draft a year or two in advance for needs, forcing the vets to take paycuts. The let guys who are overrated walk, and sign their great players early so that they don't leave. Not only that, but Reese seems to strike gold every fucking draft. It's an embarrassment of riches.

As in every year, if the Giants can keep the injuries down, or at least be healthy around the playoffs, they will make another deep run.

LakerHater
05-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Kiwi goin to LB. Pickin up Rogers was jus for insurance cuz Tuck & Osi were hurt last season!
Giants still need a Defensive Left Takcle unless JPP can play that pos!
You'd have DE: Tuck, DT: JPP (if he can play it), DT: Canty & DE: Osi.

Vici
05-05-2012, 02:39 AM
kiwi is being moved to de. Jpp stays at de unless they are in the 4 aces package. Tuck and jpp o inside with osi and kiwi outside... how sick is that? Damn i love third and longs.

TIMMYtoZO
05-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Osi will be a Giant until the end of his contract. He is often injured but we only need him as a situational player these days... that's how sick that line is. I love the Rogers pickup. I know that he's old, but when you have two bowl caliber DEs on either side of you, things are going to pick up.

I don't expect much out of Austin this year, and I don't think Reese or Coughlin do either since they picked up Rodgers. This will be two years now since he's played a football game. The speed of the game will be a bit too much for him early on (to say nothing about his strength or conditioning). Our back 4 are going to be fucking sick. If TT is anywhere near healthy, it's game over for the league. Prince only got better as the year wore on and Hosley would have been a mid first founder if he wasn't an idiot and 3 inches taller. Thankfully the Giants only need to use him as a Dime back at worst.

LBers aren't good but they don't need to be in the Giants' scheme. Their only job is to cover and stop the run, it's up to our D-Line to make things happen.

I can't say enough about how much I love this draft. Wilson doesn't need to be special his first year, just adequate. If all that he can do is catch a pass out of the backfield, the Giants' offense will be exceptionally better. Randle is what makes this draft though. He is a first round talent that fell to the Giants at the end of the second, and is probably the second most NFL ready WR in the draft. The best part of the pick, the thing that makes this fucking beautiful, is that all he needs to be is the third WR. As an NFL ready rookie, playing along side two of the best receivers in the game, he's going to have the easiest job out of any rookie this year. He's taller than Manningham, about 20 times smarter, and supposedly has great hands. Great great great pick.

Robinson will be interesting. He is the most physically gifted TE to come out since Vernon Davis, and is probably the most raw. The coaching staff at Cincinatti rarely used him outside of blocking which makes his skillset questionable (only because of lack of attempts, not skill). However, he has the best TE coach in the league in Mike Pope. Ie Pope can turn fucking Ballard into an average to good TE, imagine what he can do with this kid.

The two OT that were taken in the 4th and 6th are both very interesting. McCants, though taken later, has the higher upside but is very raw. Mosley can be a starter in a year or two at RT once he bulks up a bit. I love watching these guys in the pres-season games because the Giants typically strike gold with the OL in the later rounds.

It's very easy to be a Giants fan right now. The Giants have year in and year out outsmarted the rest of the league in personell moves. The draft a year or two in advance for needs, forcing the vets to take paycuts. The let guys who are overrated walk, and sign their great players early so that they don't leave. Not only that, but Reese seems to strike gold every fucking draft. It's an embarrassment of riches.

As in every year, if the Giants can keep the injuries down, or at least be healthy around the playoffs, they will make another deep run.

For the 2 bolded parts,

1.)I expect Austin to be good this year like the way JPP was his rookie season. Austin is going to be a monster. He will have a good rookie season and surprise lots of people. You also forgot about Linval Joseph. He is a strong DT and helps get that push on the line to help the defensive ends get to the qb. A DT combination of Joseph/Austin/Rogers/Canty is nice to have.

2.) The linebackers are all young man. They are going to be better than last year.

TIMMYtoZO
05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Kiwi goin to LB. Pickin up Rogers was jus for insurance cuz Tuck & Osi were hurt last season!
Giants still need a Defensive Left Takcle unless JPP can play that pos!
You'd have DE: Tuck, DT: JPP (if he can play it), DT: Canty & DE: Osi.

Kiwi will be DE with the addition of Keith Rivers. Giants have enoughg DT's. I am telling you, Marvin Austin is going to have a solid rookie season.

TIMMYtoZO
05-05-2012, 03:12 PM
kiwi is being moved to de. Jpp stays at de unless they are in the 4 aces package. Tuck and jpp o inside with osi and kiwi outside... how sick is that? Damn i love third and longs.

Lots of different things Fewell can throw at offenses.

Vici
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
For the 2 bolded parts,

1.)I expect Austin to be good this year like the way JPP was his rookie season. Austin is going to be a monster. He will have a good rookie season and surprise lots of people. You also forgot about Linval Joseph. He is a strong DT and helps get that push on the line to help the defensive ends get to the qb. A DT combination of Joseph/Austin/Rogers/Canty is nice to have.

2.) The linebackers are all young man. They are going to be better than last year.

I really hope Austin is good, I just don't see it. Out of football for 2 years is no joke. I believe he can be an excellent DT his first year, but I just don't believe he will be ready this year. I think we see him play in a very limited role unless there isan injury. Canty and Linval are the starters with Rodgers are the third rotation. Take all the DTs out of third and long situations which basically leaves little room for Austin this year. Next year, barring injury, he will be a beast.

The LBers will be better, but they won't be great. Boley is extremely underrated and borderline Pro Bowl LBer, but that is the one area where the Giants lack a ton of talent. Williams could be a stud, he's someone I'm going to keep a close eye on in the camp reports. For being a 7th round rookie, he was a bad ass last year. If he can take a step forward then we are set.

I'm also excited to see what Herzlich (http://www.giants.com/team/roster/Mark-Herzlich/04b5c2af-1423-4c20-b2b7-4b82b5974750) does this year. If him and Williams can take a step or two forward, then the Giants will have the best D in football. If we can get those guys to produce above what is needed, the D will be scary.

Like Austin though, I think it's going to take another year of development before they are ready. Dropping Kiwi to DE is definitely a hit to them as well (Though the dude is out for half the year every year).

Another kid I'm looking forward to seeing is the head case that used to go to Tenn with Eric Barry, Janzen Jackson (http://www.giants101.com/tag/janzen-jackson/). He is an athletic freak that could make our Back 4 downright deadly in nickel and dime situations. He is nuts though and probably won't take this opportunity seriously.

TIMMYtoZO
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I really hope Austin is good, I just don't see it. Out of football for 2 years is no joke. I believe he can be an excellent DT his first year, but I just don't believe he will be ready this year. I think we see him play in a very limited role unless there isan injury. Canty and Linval are the starters with Rodgers are the third rotation. Take all the DTs out of third and long situations which basically leaves little room for Austin this year. Next year, barring injury, he will be a beast.

The LBers will be better, but they won't be great. Boley is extremely underrated and borderline Pro Bowl LBer, but that is the one area where the Giants lack a ton of talent. Williams could be a stud, he's someone I'm going to keep a close eye on in the camp reports. For being a 7th round rookie, he was a bad ass last year. If he can take a step forward then we are set.

I'm also excited to see what Herzlich (http://www.giants.com/team/roster/Mark-Herzlich/04b5c2af-1423-4c20-b2b7-4b82b5974750) does this year. If him and Williams can take a step or two forward, then the Giants will have the best D in football. If we can get those guys to produce above what is needed, the D will be scary.

Like Austin though, I think it's going to take another year of development before they are ready. Dropping Kiwi to DE is definitely a hit to them as well (Though the dude is out for half the year every year).

Another kid I'm looking forward to seeing is the head case that used to go to Tenn with Eric Barry, Janzen Jackson (http://www.giants101.com/tag/janzen-jackson/). He is an athletic freak that could make our Back 4 downright deadly in nickel and dime situations. He is nuts though and probably won't take this opportunity seriously.

Herzlich is another guy I am thrilled for. His story is inspirational and I see him really surprising this season. Keith Rivers was a low risk move. Janzen Jackson I did hear they signed but I will hold back on him. Maybe he will be another Victor Cruz.

Where do you go for constant updates/discussions for the Giants? I have used ESPN NY but I would like to read more discussions than what they have.

Vici
05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
There are a few I go to, but 90% of the time it's:

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?show=1

giantsfans.net has a few guys who could be coaches that do great write ups, especially for the draft. I'll check that out once a month to see if there is something I can learn.

BBI is king though. Kind of like Spurstalk in it's volume and audience, but it's mostly football talk. No politics or anything that can piss people off.

leemajors
05-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Osi wishes McCoy Happy Mother's Day!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7925162/osi-umenyiora-new-york-giants-wishes-lesean-mccoy-happy-mothers-day

:lmao

TIMMYtoZO
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Osi wishes McCoy Happy Mother's Day!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7925162/osi-umenyiora-new-york-giants-wishes-lesean-mccoy-happy-mothers-day

:lmao

:lmao That is gold.

LakerHater
05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/680e548c9fad11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

TIMMYtoZO
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Hakeem Nicks broke his foot and is expected to be out for 12 weeks. If no setbacks, we are looking at a return in the finals weeks of the preseason. If he needs more time, no worries. They have Elite Manning at the helm.

tlongII
05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
No Nicks + No Manningham = Big Problem

TIMMYtoZO
05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
No Nicks + No Manningham = Big Problem

:lol Nicks will be back during the preseason more than likely. They still have Cruz, and Randle who will be much much better than Manningham ever was here. Jerrigans is also a guy Coughlin is very high on. Oh, and they also have the best QB in the NFL. His name is Elite Manning. They also have a dominating D. The worst case for Nicks is being out until week 1. Word is he may be good to go right before camp in late July.

Vici
05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Nicks will be back before training camp... 4-6 weeks now. Manningham was nothing more than a number 2, he is/was very easily replaced. Coughlin has already said that Randle is a better route runner and has better hands than Manningham.

TIMMYtoZO
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Nicks will be back before training camp... 4-6 weeks now. Manningham was nothing more than a number 2, he is/was very easily replaced. Coughlin has already said that Randle is a better route runner and has better hands than Manningham.

No shit? Badass. Which WR do you think doesn't make the team. I am putting my money on Barden.

LnGrrrR
06-01-2012, 10:39 PM
NY Giants should be well in the playoff mix this year. The only positive thing to take from the Giants loss (and it's like saying at least your cyanide smelled nice as you're dying), is that at least he has more rings than Peyton now.

:lol Peyton

Vici
06-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Osi's contract issue is out of the way now. No word on extension or just a re-up. Either way does not matter, just glad that whole fiasco is done.

leemajors
06-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Lol at Bennett weighing in at 291, good luck with him

Vici
06-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Lol at Bennett weighing in at 291, good luck with him

Already been addressed, not an issue. 265 was way too small a weight for a guy his size. If he needs to lose weight, he has until September to do so. Unlike other teams, the Giants don't put up with laziness from their players. If Bennet's weight is an issue, it will be resolved or he won't see the field. Not a big deal either way, Robinson is going to take over the start spot very soon.

leemajors
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Already been addressed, not an issue. 265 was way too small a weight for a guy his size. If he needs to lose weight, he has until September to do so. Unlike other teams, the Giants don't put up with laziness from their players. If Bennet's weight is an issue, it will be resolved or he won't see the field. Not a big deal either way, Robinson is going to take over the start spot very soon.

I believe Pope said 291 was way too much for his legs to handle. Bennett is a lazy pos and I guess he was worth a flyer, but his attitude just sucks.

Vici
06-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I believe Pope said 291 was way too much for his legs to handle. Bennett is a lazy pos and I guess he was worth a flyer, but his attitude just sucks.

Pope did say that, but remember he was brought in for his blocking. If he cant play as a pseudo OT at 290, let him stay up there. Pope knows what he's doing and I have full faith that at what ever weight Bennet plays at, Bennet will be where he's supposed to be. Pope is just one of those guys where you can throws players at him and forget everything else. After Ballard, Pascoe, Boss... Pope is just a bad ass.

TIMMYtoZO
06-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Osi's contract issue is out of the way now. No word on extension or just a re-up. Either way does not matter, just glad that whole fiasco is done.

Thank God for that. Even if he walks next year, he will play his ass off for that new deal. He is a damn good pass rusher. That strip of Rodgers in the playoffs when Jennings was open for a td was so huge. Reese has a plan to replace him though, and I trust him.

TIMMYtoZO
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Pope did say that, but remember he was brought in for his blocking. If he cant play as a pseudo OT at 290, let him stay up there. Pope knows what he's doing and I have full faith that at what ever weight Bennet plays at, Bennet will be where he's supposed to be. Pope is just one of those guys where you can throws players at him and forget everything else. After Ballard, Pascoe, Boss... Pope is just a bad ass.

Yep. Pope is the best TE coach in the league. I can't wait to see how Robinson evolves under him.

TIMMYtoZO
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Ballard was waived and claim by the Patriots. It sucks to lose him, but he wasn't going to play this season anyways. They also resigned Rocky Bernard due to some of the DT's being a little nicked up.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Not sure why the Pats picked Ballard up given his injury, if I had to guess it's as a possible Aaron Hernandez replacement down the road. The big extension for Gronk means they're prolly gonna let another team break the bank on Hernandez once his rookie contract expires, or they might trade him if he plays well this year and holds out for a new deal. Still if the rumors about him wanting to stay in NY and being really disappointed about being scooped up by another team it was stupid.

Vici
06-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Not sure why the Pats picked Ballard up given his injury, if I had to guess it's as a possible Aaron Hernandez replacement down the road. The big extension for Gronk means they're prolly gonna let another team break the bank on Hernandez once his rookie contract expires, or they might trade him if he plays well this year and holds out for a new deal. Still if the rumors about him wanting to stay in NY and being really disappointed about being scooped up by another team it was stupid.

The Giants were planning to IR him after claiming him off of waivers. It is likely he is there to replaces Hernandez, but I'm sure he just wanted to stick it to th GIants. Win - win for him. Ballard knows the Giants wanted to keep him, but couldn't justify putting him on the PUP list. Sucks but such is life.

LakerHater
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
"Ballard and the Giants were already both aware that the player would be out for the entire 2012 season due to an ACL injury he suffered in the Super Bowl. "

"It is unclear how the Patriots plan to slot Ballard into their depth chart, but they will have over a year to figure that out."

TIMMYtoZO
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/14774/spotlight-marvin-austin

The sky is the limit for Marvin Austin. He will make an impact on the D line this season.

Vici
06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/14774/spotlight-marvin-austin

The sky is the limit for Marvin Austin. He will make an impact on the D line this season.

I hope so man. I have no doubt he will be a beast in due course, just not to sure about this season... However, if he is anywhere near as talented as everyone says and can produce this season, the league's beset d-line just got exponentially more dangerous. The only thing the Giants lack is a good consistent pass rush from the inside on first and second down...

Vici
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Having said that, I'm fairly certain the only job of the DTs is to push the O-line back and let the DEs work their magic. If you notice, Canty and Joseph simply stay put but force the line into the QB forcing him to move out of his pocket.

TIMMYtoZO
06-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Having said that, I'm fairly certain the only job of the DTs is to push the O-line back and let the DEs work their magic. If you notice, Canty and Joseph simply stay put but force the line into the QB forcing him to move out of his pocket.

Joesph is a strong dude. Getting the push is all that is needed. Austin has that explosiveness. I don't expect him to dominate right away. I just expect immediate contribution and showing that potential in spurts this year like JPP his rookie season.Giants have the luxury of using all sorts of packages with this d-line. Fewell can rotate guys and keep them fresh. This is such a deep deep team.

Vici
06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Joesph is a strong dude. Getting the push is all that is needed. Austin has that explosiveness. I don't expect him to dominate right away. I just expect immediate contribution and showing that potential in spurts this year like JPP his rookie season.Giants have the luxury of using all sorts of packages with this d-line. Fewell can rotate guys and keep them fresh. This is such a deep deep team.

Good article on Joseph

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/07/secret-superstar-linval-joseph-dt-new-york-giants/

Despite the lack of sacks, apparently he was the highest rated DT in the playoffs.

TIMMYtoZO
06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Good article on Joseph

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/07/secret-superstar-linval-joseph-dt-new-york-giants/

Despite the lack of sacks, apparently he was the highest rated DT in the playoffs.

:tu GREAT article. It hit on the spots perfectly. He is so underrated that his contributions weren't seen by a lot of people because he didn't rack up sacks. Keep in mind, last year was his first year getting significant playing time and it was a lockout season. With a full training camp, being more seasoned and confident, he is going to have an even better season. Just imagine having the DT's wreck even more havoc on the line with the DE's they have.

Vici
07-06-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbw2O6I_1h8&feature=related

I was looking for old clips of the Giants in 2008, earth, wind, and fire more specifically. It's crazy remembering how dominant that running game was. That clip is shit compared to what I've seen. If David Wilson is half the athlete the Giants are saying, the NFL is in for a world of hurt.

TIMMYtoZO
07-08-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbw2O6I_1h8&feature=related

I was looking for old clips of the Giants in 2008, earth, wind, and fire more specifically. It's crazy remembering how dominant that running game was. That clip is shit compared to what I've seen. If David Wilson is half the athlete the Giants are saying, the NFL is in for a world of hurt.

That 2008 year was going so great until Plaxico fucked it all up. The D and run game were sick.Luckily, the Giants don't have anyone stupid like that this time around.

TIMMYtoZO
07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
The Giants begin training camp today. :toast

Vici
07-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Thought you'd like this ZO:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19683470/five-questions-from-giants-training-camp

"They have what every team is looking for, depth in the defensive line -- especially at the tackles. Chris Canty is on the PUP list but expected back. Marvin Austin looks exceptionally quick as a three technique with penetrating skills. Linval Joseph is a load inside. Shaun Rogers looks better than ever after losing close to 50 pounds. And Rocky Bernard looks like he could start for plenty of teams."

Not gonna lie, getting goosebumps thinking what this team would look like with penetrating DTs.

TIMMYtoZO
07-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Thought you'd like this ZO:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19683470/five-questions-from-giants-training-camp

"They have what every team is looking for, depth in the defensive line -- especially at the tackles. Chris Canty is on the PUP list but expected back. Marvin Austin looks exceptionally quick as a three technique with penetrating skills. Linval Joseph is a load inside. Shaun Rogers looks better than ever after losing close to 50 pounds. And Rocky Bernard looks like he could start for plenty of teams."

Not gonna lie, getting goosebumps thinking what this team would look like with penetrating DTs.

:lol I just jizzed myself after reading that entire article especially the DT section. Our DT's penetrating with Tuck/JPP/Osi on the ends? :wow I am not worried about some of the rookies getting adjusted. They just need to realize that they have a very easy job on a stacked roster. This is where having proven winners helps to ease the adjustment.

DeadlyDynasty
07-29-2012, 11:36 PM
So their DL consists of:

JPP
Osi
Tuck
Kiwanuka
Joseph
Rogers
Austin
Bernard

Holy hell:wow

TIMMYtoZO
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
So their DL consists of:

JPP
Osi
Tuck
Kiwanuka
Joseph
Rogers
Austin
Bernard

Holy hell:wow

And Canty. They are loaded in all areas especially up front. Giants and Bills will have the 2 best defensive lines in football this season.

The Gemini Method
07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Fearsome DL...would be hard to keep your QB upright when facing the Giants...that's for sure.

DeadlyDynasty
07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Looks like Terrell Thomas may have re-injured that same knee...tough break if true.

LakerHater
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Thought they were gonna keep Kiwi at LB?

LakerHater
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
looks like terrell thomas may have re-injured that same knee...tough break if true.
acl!

TIMMYtoZO
07-31-2012, 12:42 AM
While it sucks that Thomas probably has another ACL tear, the Giants will be fine. They won it all without him last year, and it isn't like they have scrubs in that area. Hosley/ Amukamara/ Webster are more than enough. Plus with that disgusting pass rush, their jobs will be even easier.

Vici
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Zo, Hosley went down with an injury two days ago. Haven't heard what it is yet though...

Really sucks for T2, that's probably it for his career. 3 injuries to the same knee.

The thing is, we're back at the same position as last year minus Ross which is a huge concern. You can reasonably expect that one of our other guys will get injured at some point during the season as well, and suddenly the Giants are super thin at CB. If Prince ever wanted to be a hero, now is the time.

Vici
08-06-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/giants_terrell_thomas_hopes_to.html

Great news about T2. Hopes to be back in 3.5 weeks and doesn't need surgery!

TIMMYtoZO
08-06-2012, 11:23 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/giants_terrell_thomas_hopes_to.html

Great news about T2. Hopes to be back in 3.5 weeks and doesn't need surgery!

:toast I read this news a few hours ago and it made me feel good. That being said, Amukamara is going to really raise his game up this season. T2 will be covering the slot. Rolle said he wouldn't mind going back to that position if he had to. As much as I love that unselfish attitude, I want to see him at his natural position. With a much improved defensive line (I can't believe I just typed that), T2 doesn't need to rush back.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Antrel Rolle was a horrible corner in Arizona for a few years then was an instant success at safety once he was moved there. The defense still misses having a safety who can actually cover. NY would be stupid to have him play corner.

Vici
08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Bennet looks awesome, thanks Cowboys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbB72OTA1ys&feature=plcp

Amazing what happens when you have good coaching.

Vici
08-12-2012, 10:13 PM
David Wilson Highlights/Lowlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ5XLosC37E

Definitely way more highlights. Scary, he looks like he's ready to start. Coughlin and Reese creamed themselves talking about his quickness, and holy shit were they right. Reminds me of a faster Tiki. Can't wait to see what he looks like catching more balls out of the backfield... The Giants are seriously stacked with weapons.

DeadlyDynasty
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Hows Randle doing?

Vici
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Forgot to mention how sick the d-line reserves looked. Austin actually looks like the weakest link which is scary. Once he's in shape...

Tracy came out of nowhere. That guy could be a legit starter on most teams. Hendricks is a load and Rodgers looks better than ever.

Can't fucking wait to see these guys on third and long/ goalline situations. The Falcons game showed how nasty the D-Line can be when they can pin their ears back and create chaos.

It's not even worth mentioning how the starters on the d-line looked. They completely dominated the Jaguars.

The only concern for me are the CBs. Hopefully Prince steps up because we don't have Ross anymore.

Vici
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Hows Randle doing?

He looked good for his first game. He had a good catch for a huge gain and a TD. He had flashes and should win the third spot.

The problem is Douglas and Stanback both look great as well. Stanback had an amazing one handed catch for a TD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEsb469RUGE

TIMMYtoZO
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Bennet looks awesome, thanks Cowboys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbB72OTA1ys&feature=plcp

Amazing what happens when you have good coaching.

:lol This could be the steal of the offseason for the Giants.

TIMMYtoZO
08-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I wasn't able to see the game on Friday, but I did read up on it. Austin is the only weak link but he has not played in 2 years. He will make an impact this year. He will just need to stay at it to keep progressing. The Giants D looks stacked. The corners will be fine. I believe in Prince. Wilson is going to be the real deal. I also am giddy over Jerrigans. :lol

Vici
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Justin Tuck responds to “sore losers” disrespecting Giants

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/13/justin-tuck-responds-to-sore-losers-disrespecting-giants/

“There’s some sore losers in the world, ain’t it?” Tuck said, via Tom Rock of Newsday. “It doesn’t bother me much. Last time I checked we won the Super Bowl and that’s what everybody strives to get to every year. I’m not the type of guy to make excuses about a loss or a win. Regardless. The better team won. You played better that day, thats why it’s a game. That’s why we have the slogan: Talk is cheap, play the game. It don’t really matter what we say, it’s about what we do on the football field.”

Vici
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Justin Tuck responds to “sore losers” disrespecting Giants

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/13/justin-tuck-responds-to-sore-losers-disrespecting-giants/

“There’s some sore losers in the world, ain’t it?” Tuck said, via Tom Rock of Newsday. “It doesn’t bother me much. Last time I checked we won the Super Bowl and that’s what everybody strives to get to every year. I’m not the type of guy to make excuses about a loss or a win. Regardless. The better team won. You played better that day, thats why it’s a game. That’s why we have the slogan: Talk is cheap, play the game. It don’t really matter what we say, it’s about what we do on the football field.”

That is the biggest difference between this team and all the others. Whenever the Giants lost in the post season, they never once blamed injuries, bad calls, luck, they just admitted they weren't good enough. That's why they are a two time champion in five years and everyone else is watching on the sidelines.

Vici
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Another great article about Eli

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--q-a-with-eli-manning--qb-talks-best-super-bowl-catch-and-roughhousing-with-peyton-.html

Here is exactly why I would not take another QB over him:

Jason Cole: You have had two of the most memorable pass plays in Super Bowl history, but the football purist would say the throw to (Mario) Manningham is a better play than the throw to David Tyree in your previous Super Bowl appearance. Which one do you treasure more?

Eli Manning: Just looking back, the best way to describe it, if you look back at both those 2-minute drives, the one in '08 is kind of a sloppy drive. There were some sloppy third-down throws that could have been intercepted, some throwaways, almost a sack, a couple of scrambles, there was just chaos like that play down the middle. We kind of got fortunate on a couple of plays that didn't turn out as bad as they could have been.
The one this year was just a classic, perfectly executed, 2-minute drive. From the first play where we were talking about, 'Hey, their safeties were kind of cheating over to Victor (Cruz) a little bit, that backside safety, so eventually that if you look over there and you don't like it, you may be able to come back over and hit that go route on the sideline.' We took the talk about (the defense) and put it to good use. They had a couple of all-out blitzes and we hit a screen. Another all-out blitz and we hit a slant to Hakeem (Nicks). They checked to Cover 2 (a zone defense) and we called a zone (pass play). We hit a curl to Manningham against quarters coverage. It was just boom, boom, boom, right down. After the big play, we ran some, kept the clock running. It was more precise and I take more pride in that one because I feel like we played better football. It was something where we knew exactly what they were going to do and we had the answer. Whatever call they made, we had the perfect answer. It's the difference between your fourth year and your eighth year.
“In that first one, you're still sort of learning and there were still some well-executed plays and good decisions. But in Year Eight, you're checking to the perfect play instead of making the best out of a play. Rather than being in just a good play, you're checking to a play that has a chance to bust through. It's just smarter football, more in-tune to how the game should really be played.

Cole: So, if people say that you're better than your brother …

Manning: I correct them very quickly.

Eli is in full control of his emotions and abilities. I know full well that Brees, Rodgers and Payton put up greater numbers, but their composure does not come close to matching Eli. He will never put up the numbers of those three, but they will never win games like Eli.

Great time to be a Giants fan.

Vici
08-13-2012, 11:20 PM
And some more. 3 notes from the first pre-season game. Relevant to some questions asked and Cowboys fans:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/13/first-impressions-jaguars-giants/

New York Giants – Three Things of Note

Martellus Bennett

After playing behind tight end Jason Witten for the last four years, Martellus Bennett has a chance to become a major weapon in the Giants’ offense. Last season the tight end position was manned by Jake Ballard, who made some plays in the passing game, but was generally unproductive as a run blocker. Bennett has already established himself as one of the best run blocking tight ends in the league, and he will bring an added dimension to the Giants’ running game. In this game, Bennett showed up in the passing game as he caught three balls for 27 yards and a touchdown. He converted a third down on a deep in-route, forced a missed tackle after catching a short pass in the flat and capped off his night by catching a bullet down the seam from QB David Carr for his touchdown. With the Giants’ outside receiving options, Bennett will have a chance to work the middle of the field and he may break out this season as one of the better all-around TE options in the league.

Prince Amukamara

The Giants’ 2011 first round pick, Prince Amukamara, only played 204 snaps in his rookie season, but he’s expected to start on the right side this year. Though he only played the first series, Amukamara looked lost in coverage on two plays. The first was a 29-yard completion to WR Mike Thomas where Amukamara was caught peeking into the backfield as Thomas separated from him on a deep out. In a similar manner, Amukamara pressed and then lost sight of WR Cecil Shorts on a 3-yard fade route in the end zone to finish the Jaguars first drive.

Replacing Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham

It’s not as if the Giants are hurting for playmakers, but they still have to replace one half of their running back tandem and their No.3 wide receiver in Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham respectively. They spent their first two draft picks on RB David Wilson and WR Rueben Randle, so they’ve certainly addressed their free agent losses. Despite the investment in the top picks, there are other players in the mix for playing time and RB Danny Ware had a nice showing on his five carries. He ran with power and shiftiness, including a nifty 16-yard run in the second quarter. Wilson made the most of his opportunities by picking up 43 yards on seven carries. He also showed his speed on a 48-yard kickoff return. He showed great burst on a draw play before making a defender miss in the secondary for a 26-yard run and he later got to the outside on a toss play, breaking another tackle in the process. Wilson is not the bruising running back that Jacobs is, but his big-play ability is likely to allow him to see the field early for the Giants.

Randle was targeted three times and caught two for 27 yards and a touchdown. He made a nice adjustment to a low throw for a 21-yard gain and later used his size and athleticism to catch a 6-yard fade route for a TD. Second-year WR Jerrel Jernigan was thought to be a slot receiver, but he saw a lot of time playing on the outside. He was unable to create any separation on his only target down the field and he seems like a better option as a backup to WR Victor Cruz in the slot.

TIMMYtoZO
08-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I love the articles, Vici. Keep them coming. Unfortunately, injuries are starting to mount up on the D-line. Rogers has a blood clot in his leg, and Marvin Austin is seeing a specialist for his injured back. Canty is already out from knee surgery.
:depressed
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8268068/injuries-tackle-depth-new-york-giants-defensive-line

gaKNOW!blee
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Another great article about Eli

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--q-a-with-eli-manning--qb-talks-best-super-bowl-catch-and-roughhousing-with-peyton-.html

Here is exactly why I would not take another QB over him:

Eli is in full control of his emotions and abilities. I know full well that Brees, Rodgers and Payton put up greater numbers, but their composure does not come close to matching Eli. He will never put up the numbers of those three, but they will never win games like Eli.

Great time to be a Giants fan.

Never win games like Eli? I get you have every right to be proud having Eli as your quarterback, but I think if you'd take a step back you'd realize you're being a bit of a homer.

Football is the ultimate team game...You telling me Brees doesn't have the "composure" to lead his team to another superbowl victory (he already has one as does Rodgers who's younger)? He led a touchdown drive in the playoffs that had put his team up 3 but his defense let him down letting alex smith of all people beat them.

Hell Eli isn't even in the superbowl if his defense and punt coverage units don't turn in a masterful performance in the NCFC game. I'm not trying to talk shit because I fully admit Eli is awesome, but IMO the "clutch gene" and composure talk in sports today has become so overblown.

TIMMYtoZO
08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Shaun Rogers to miss season

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8268068/new-york-giants-shaun-rogers-miss-season-due-blood-clot

:depressed (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8268068/new-york-giants-shaun-rogers-miss-season-due-blood-clot)

While that sucks, the Giants will be fine.

Vici
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Shaun Rogers to miss season

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8268068/new-york-giants-shaun-rogers-miss-season-due-blood-clot

:depressed (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8268068/new-york-giants-shaun-rogers-miss-season-due-blood-clot)

While that sucks, the Giants will be fine.

Ya man, it's fucking heartbreaking. The Giants should be fine, but he was looking sexy against the Jags. C'est la vie.

symple19
08-15-2012, 01:19 AM
jesus christ...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422301_431991853514243_1794323175_n.jpg

TIMMYtoZO
08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Looks like Marvin Austin is going to be ok. He might miss the Jets game this weekend if anything.

Giants' Marvin Austin doesn't expect back injury to sideline him long

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/giants_marvin_austin_doesnt_ex.html

TIMMYtoZO
08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Not surprised by either of these moves.

Giants waive Sintim, Trattou

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/15940/giants-part-ways-with-sintim-trattou

Vici
08-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm watching the game against the Jets right now, the D line is crazy good. Love what I'm seeing from the front four.

Eli and Cruz were made for each other.

Vici
08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Sucks for Sintim, he could have had a career, was just never a fit for us. Still don't know why we wasted a pick on him.

TIMMYtoZO
08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm watching the game against the Jets right now, the D line is crazy good. Love what I'm seeing from the front four.

Eli and Cruz were made for each other.

I didn't get to catch the game. I had some things to take care of.

Vici, how did Randle and Jerrigans look tonight?

Vici
08-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Randle looks excellent. JJ still has a ways to go, but had a nice run after a catch. Right now Randle reminds me a lot of Steve Smith, so at the least a solid number two. The fact he will be our slot is just nasty.

Our biggest concern is the o-line... It is just bad. Our running game is going to be worse this year, if that is even possible.

TIMMYtoZO
08-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Randle looks excellent. JJ still has a ways to go, but had a nice run after a catch. Right now Randle reminds me a lot of Steve Smith, so at the least a solid number two. The fact he will be our slot is just nasty.

Our biggest concern is the o-line... It is just bad. Our running game is going to be worse this year, if that is even possible.

Our running game worse than last year? :pctoss

Good thing we have Elite Manning at and top notch talent at WR and that the game has changed into a passing league.

Vici
08-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Our running game worse than last year? :pctoss

Good thing we have Elite Manning at and top notch talent at WR and that the game has changed into a passing league.

Ya man, it is scary how bad they line is. I hope not, but this might be the year where neglecting the line will bite us in the ass. We will see what it looks like with Beatty back (if that ever happens). We need a RT and LG bad. Baas still looks poor as does Locklear and Boothe.

tlongII
09-16-2012, 02:20 PM
The Giants SUCK! :lmao

Bill_Brasky
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
The Giants SUCK! :lmao

:lmao well that explains that comeback

TIMMYtoZO
09-16-2012, 04:35 PM
The Giants are playing like they don't care right now. Elite Manning is just a 4th quarter assassin. 510 yards and 3 touchdowns. The Giants O can score points with the best of them. It is the D that is really slacking, but they will get it together.