PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Buck Harvey article on Spurs' conditioning program

Uriel
05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I know there's a running joke around here about the "intellectual property" over at the SA Express-News, but there is one columnist there who is an exception. Unlike McDonald, he's actually well-connected, with genuine insider knowledge, and he's the closest thing we're going to get to Johnny Ludden at this point in time.

Here's his latest article, which details the kinds of things the Spurs have been incorporating into their strength & conditioning program, as well as their pioneering the use of various technologies to keep them one step ahead of the rest of the league:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/05/04/socks-that-match-spurs-keep-learning/

Bartleby
05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
SA EN threatened legal action.

Beanzamillion21
05-04-2012, 10:27 PM
He's been at it for some time. The sports departent is by far the best department at the Express News, tbh. Everything else is so-so.

GSH
05-04-2012, 10:44 PM
This came up a while back in an article about the Suns' medical staff. I made a comment then that I was surprised that the Spurs don't use more of the same techniques. It sounds like maybe they do, but like so many other things about the Spurs, they keep it under the radar. The bit about them being in the top 3 for fewest games missed over the last decade is pretty impressive. Of course, it's always the injuries to the top guys that stand out, and they have had their share of those.

I had to kind of laugh about the cryotherapy. That article that we all read talked like the Mavs had pioneered it in the NBA. Now we find out that the Spurs were already using it - once again, under the radar. Also sort of cool that they don't overlook low-tech improvements like the compression stockings on flights, and the Gatorade in the hallway on the road.

Good article. Thanks for posting.

jesterbobman
05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
It makes absolutely no sense for the Spurs to shout about any techniques that they're using. If something works for them, it is a competitive advantage, and no organization should give those away for free.

Paranoid Pop
05-04-2012, 11:18 PM
It makes absolutely no sense for the Spurs to shout about any techniques that they're using. If something works for them, it is a competitive advantage, and no organization should give those away for free.

That's why we didn't get any of the interesting stuff most likely.

Solid D
05-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Excellent article and insight!

freetiago
05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
lol i hope the rest of the league takes the spurs conditioning routines
pop has to hold his players hands and make sure theyre ok to stay on the court for a massive 29 minutes
splitter cant even stay on the floor for over 20 minutes

I Heart Ginobili
05-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Everyone on the spurs team is blood doping and will soon be caught.

Bruno
05-05-2012, 02:40 AM
While Spurs conditioning staff is likely fulled with competent and professional people, Spurs seems to be just an average NBA team in that area. Detroit and Phoenix have been the best teams in that domain.

Pocket Hippo
05-05-2012, 05:56 AM
I heard the Spurs are all on a secret herbal supplement made from bits of real panther, so you know its good.
It works 60% of the time, every time.

GSH
05-05-2012, 08:35 AM
While Spurs conditioning staff is likely fulled with competent and professional people, Spurs seems to be just an average NBA team in that area. Detroit and Phoenix have been the best teams in that domain.

Based on what? I'll admit that I don't know, so I'm not arguing. But I'm curious what you're basing that on. I hope it's more than the time they second-guessed the French National Team's medical staff, when Tony was hurt. I know a lot of French fans were really pissed at the Spurs for insisting that Tony come back here for tests, and some bad things were said about the Spurs' medical staff over the incident.

I was sort of surprised that the Spurs were in the top 3 for number of games lost, for the last decade. Especially considering the number of games missed by Manu alone. Were Phoenix and Detroit numbers 1 and 2? Still - being third best seems a lot better than "just average".

I'm not defending them just because it's the Spurs - I already said that I don't know. But I guess I'm sort of results oriented. It seems to me that a decade is long enough that it's probably more than just dumb luck.

SenorSpur
05-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Buck Harvey bringing the goods - as always.

Thanks for posting!

Bruno
05-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Based on what? I'll admit that I don't know, so I'm not arguing. But I'm curious what you're basing that on. I hope it's more than the time they second-guessed the French National Team's medical staff, when Tony was hurt. I know a lot of French fans were really pissed at the Spurs for insisting that Tony come back here for tests, and some bad things were said about the Spurs' medical staff over the incident.

I'm talking about Spurs' conditioning staff and not Spurs' medical staff. It's another subject but Spurs' medical staff isn't elite too. Even Spurs know it because when they face a complicate case like for Manu's or Mahinmi's ankles, players are sent in LA to have diagnostics and surgeries.

Two examples of why I'm not sold on Spurs conditioning staff being elite:
- In the 2008 summer, They made Duncan having an heavy workout summer with things like flipping tires. He came out great for the 2008-2009 in great shape but his knees didn't hold the full season.
- A most recent example is what happens with Ginobili this year. It took him forever to come back at a good physical level after his hand injury. I really wonder what kind of conditioning they did, while his hand was broken, for him being that out of shape when he came back.

Spurs being in the top 3 or fewer game missed has for me a lot more to do with Pop limiting minutes and Spurs not signing a lot of injury prone players.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I remember those 08 Duncan workouts, people here were pissed when his knees gave