PDA

View Full Version : The Quiet Dynasty: San Antonio Spurs (And Why I'm a Fan)

MarHill
05-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Here's an article I just posted on my blog:

The Quiet Dynasty: San Antonio Spurs (And Why I'm A Fan)

This year’s version of the San Antonio Spurs entered the NBA Playoffs as the number one seed in the Western Conference with a 50-16 record (tied with the Chicago Bulls for the league’s best record) in a 66 game shortened season.

And winning last night’s game against the Utah Jazz, 102-90, gives the Spurs a commanding 3-0 series lead in the 1st round of the playoffs. They will go for the series clinching win in Game Four on Monday night.

The Spurs are respected and even admired by most basketball analysts and media pundits. However, they seem to get overlooked in the eyes of Spurs fans as not getting enough love from the public and media as a whole.

I have lived in San Antonio for nearly nine years and I’ve heard it all on that front by Spurs fans. But, I do believe some of it is Spurs fans paranoia for this perceived lack of attention. It reminds of this quote:

“People would rather be recognized and appreciated for their contributions than ignored or overlooked even if they are wealthy.” (Aaron Johnson)

Those words ring true to me and I believe in many Spurs fans’ ears. Well, let’s look at some reasons and why I’m a fan because of it.

Since 1998-1999 (I consider as the Spurs Golden Age):

–They have 9 Division Titles (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012)

–4 Western Conference Titles (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

–4 NBA Titles (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

–They have won 774 games out of 1100 during that period. That is a 70% winning percentage and the highest in the NBA during that span.

–They have averaged 55 wins a season during this period and that’s the highest in the NBA as well.

–They’ve had one coach for the entire time: Gregg Popovich

–They’ve had one superstar for the entire time: Tim Duncan

–They drafted two other stars to compliment the superstar player in Manu Ginobili (Since 2002) and Tony Parker (Since 2001) and found role players from Steve Kerr to Danny Green to fit their system.

With all these accomplishments and success, it seems outside of the San Antonio Metro Area (which includes the Rio Grande Valley down to the Texas/Mexico border and West Texas to El Paso), the Spurs are not beloved or hated (Well in Phoenix, they are) like the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers or Celtics.

The main reason for me is that consistency or stability doesn’t sell in a culture that wants drama and conflict as a form of entertainment. I wrote about this in my article, Why Tim Duncan is My Favorite Athlete.

Consistency and Stability are boring to the public but are so hard to obtain in everyday life. That’s one of my reasons why I’m a fan. There is genius in consistency and stability and it deserves appreciation just like other traits for success.

Also, I believe the San Antonio Spurs are like Smooth Jazz. Brilliant, technical, talented but are inoffensive in a world where people are expected to be offended.

Even though they are some real artists playing smooth jazz like George Benson, Ronny Jordan, Marc Antoine, Joe Sample, or The Yellowjackets. The genre is considered bland or vanilla and the Spurs have been accused of playing bland (code word for “fundamental”) basketball.

Unfortunately, perceptions die hard because the Spurs have been anything but bland this season. They have changed their trademark defensive-oriented style in the past for a more free-wheeling, high-tempo offense that was second in the league for points per game and first in offensive efficiency. These are not your father’s San Antonio Spurs!

Also, the other reason why I’m a fan of this team, that it shows me the little guy can compete with the big boys at the highest levels of competition.

Like the Spurs, the city of San Antonio has been overlooked as a major American city. Tuck down here in South Texas, people forget its the seventh largest city in the country with 1.3 million (surpassing more glamorous cities like Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami.)

Even in the Lone Star State, San Antonio gets overshadowed by Houston and Dallas (and Austin to some extent), but has grown quietly in the shadows and become “Military City, USA” and a major American city because of it.

I do believe that sports can mirror real life at times and being a San Antonio Spurs fan has shown me that consistency, stability, and finding the right people can work in any location in order to compete at the highest levels in any profession. That’s an American success story exemplified.

Go Spurs Go and Let’s Get Number Five for the Thumb!!!!!

Wild Cobra Kai
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Last sentence is a bit awkward. Either "Get Number Five" OR "One For The Thumb". Mashing them together just doesn't work.

spursfaninla
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Here's an article I just posted on my blog:

The Quiet Dynasty: San Antonio Spurs (And Why I'm A Fan)

This year’s version of the San Antonio Spurs entered the NBA Playoffs as the number one seed in the Western Conference with a 50-16 record (tied with the Chicago Bulls for the league’s best record) in a 66 game shortened season.

And winning last night’s game against the Utah Jazz, 102-90, gives the Spurs a commanding 3-0 series lead in the 1st round of the playoffs. They will go for the series clinching win in Game Four on Monday night.

The Spurs are respected and even admired by most basketball analysts and media pundits. However, they seem to get overlooked in the eyes of Spurs fans as not getting enough love from the public and media as a whole.

I have lived in San Antonio for nearly nine years and I’ve heard it all on that front by Spurs fans. But, I do believe some of it is Spurs fans paranoia for this perceived lack of attention. It reminds of this quote:

“People would rather be recognized and appreciated for their contributions than ignored or overlooked even if they are wealthy.” (Aaron Johnson)

Those words ring true to me and I believe in many Spurs fans’ ears. Well, let’s look at some reasons and why I’m a fan because of it.

Since 1998-1999 (I consider as the Spurs Golden Age):

–They have 9 Division Titles (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012)

–4 Western Conference Titles (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

–4 NBA Titles (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

–They have won 774 games out of 1100 during that period. That is a 70% winning percentage and the highest in the NBA during that span.

–They have averaged 55 wins a season during this period and that’s the highest in the NBA as well.

–They’ve had one coach for the entire time: Gregg Popovich

–They’ve had one superstar for the entire time: Tim Duncan

–They drafted two other stars to compliment the superstar player in Manu Ginobili (Since 2002) and Tony Parker (Since 2001) and found role players from Steve Kerr to Danny Green to fit their system.

With all these accomplishments and success, it seems outside of the San Antonio Metro Area (which includes the Rio Grande Valley down to the Texas/Mexico border and West Texas to El Paso), the Spurs are not beloved or hated (Well in Phoenix, they are) like the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers or Celtics.

The main reason for me is that consistency or stability doesn’t sell in a culture that wants drama and conflict as a form of entertainment. I wrote about this in my article, Why Tim Duncan is My Favorite Athlete.

Consistency and Stability are boring to the public but are so hard to obtain in everyday life. That’s one of my reasons why I’m a fan. There is genius in consistency and stability and it deserves appreciation just like other traits for success.

Also, I believe the San Antonio Spurs are like Smooth Jazz. Brilliant, technical, talented but are inoffensive in a world where people are expected to be offended.

Even though they are some real artists playing smooth jazz like George Benson, Ronny Jordan, Marc Antoine, Joe Sample, or The Yellowjackets. The genre is considered bland or vanilla and the Spurs have been accused of playing bland (code word for “fundamental”) basketball.

Unfortunately, perceptions die hard because the Spurs have been anything but bland this season. They have changed their trademark defensive-oriented style in the past for a more free-wheeling, high-tempo offense that was second in the league for points per game and first in offensive efficiency. These are not your father’s San Antonio Spurs!

Also, the other reason why I’m a fan of this team, that it shows me the little guy can compete with the big boys at the highest levels of competition.

Like the Spurs, the city of San Antonio has been overlooked as a major American city. Tuck down here in South Texas, people forget its the seventh largest city in the country with 1.3 million (surpassing more glamorous cities like Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami.)

Even in the Lone Star State, San Antonio gets overshadowed by Houston and Dallas (and Austin to some extent), but has grown quietly in the shadows and become “Military City, USA” and a major American city because of it.

I do believe that sports can mirror real life at times and being a San Antonio Spurs fan has shown me that consistency, stability, and finding the right people can work in any location in order to compete at the highest levels in any profession. That’s an American success story exemplified.

Go Spurs Go and Let’s Get Number Five for the Thumb!!!!!

I am not a professional sports writer, and I appreciate your contribution to the message board as a Spurs fan.

However, if you are going to try to seriously "blog," you should shoot for a more professional presentation, IMO, which includes making a coherent take, and working on your command of basic writing skills.

The bolded and underlined sections are those that I think have grammar issues, or are a problem with your theme. The grammar will come with experience and attention to detail.

You make several points, but your overall "take" is only loosely coherent. For some writing, that is cool, but I am not sure it is intentional. It appears to me to meander and even contradict itself.
You say:
1) The media respects and likes the spurs
2) (paranoid) Spurs Fans think the Spurs do not get the proper attention from the media
3) in the past they were considered boring because they are consistent but not exciting (for various reasons).
4) This perception continues to today.
5) Spurs are not hated or loved outside their geographic area
6) The Spurs have changed to an exciting offensive team

See, your points about the media respecting/liking the Spurs contradicts the point about the Spurs being boring. This is because the second point explains WHY the media does not give the Spurs more attention, WHY the media does not really "respect" the Spurs. You even admit the Spurs are kind of boring, saying they are like "cool jazz" (which I like, but also see as vanilla).

The ADMIRAL 50
05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
capitalizing "Smooth Jazz" was especially confusing at a time when we are playing the Jazz

SnakeBoy
05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
This isn't intended to offend you.

This is just my opinion.

I've looked at your blog and noticed something about your writing style.

I am not a fan of your writing style.

You have a tendency to structure your articles essentially into bullet points rather than paragraphs that flow together nicely.

I find this style less than enjoyable to read.

MarHill
05-06-2012, 04:05 PM
This isn't intended to offend you.

This is just my opinion.

I've looked at your blog and noticed something about your writing style.

I am not a fan of your writing style.

You have a tendency to structure your articles essentially into bullet points rather than paragraphs that flow together nicely.

I find this style less than enjoyable to read.

That's fine if you don't like my writing style.

Thanks for your constructive criticism.....no offense taken.

MarHill
05-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I am not a professional sports writer, and I appreciate your contribution to the message board as a Spurs fan.

However, if you are going to try to seriously "blog," you should shoot for a more professional presentation, IMO, which includes making a coherent take, and working on your command of basic writing skills.

The bolded and underlined sections are those that I think have grammar issues, or are a problem with your theme. The grammar will come with experience and attention to detail.

You make several points, but your overall "take" is only loosely coherent. For some writing, that is cool, but I am not sure it is intentional. It appears to me to meander and even contradict itself.
You say:
1) The media respects and likes the spurs
2) (paranoid) Spurs Fans think the Spurs do not get the proper attention from the media
3) in the past they were considered boring because they are consistent but not exciting (for various reasons).
4) This perception continues to today.
5) Spurs are not hated or loved outside their geographic area
6) The Spurs have changed to an exciting offensive team

See, your points about the media respecting/liking the Spurs contradicts the point about the Spurs being boring. This is because the second point explains WHY the media does not give the Spurs more attention, WHY the media does not really "respect" the Spurs. You even admit the Spurs are kind of boring, saying they are like "cool jazz" (which I like, but also see as vanilla).

Thanks for your constructive criticism as well. I didn't think the points I made contradicted each other...since I was giving an overall opinion of why I like the Spurs and some of the reasons why they were not liked.

But, I appreciate your honesty and it will be taken into account in the future.

Man In Black
05-06-2012, 05:16 PM
My issue with the media, especially the 4-Letter network is that they help shape the minds of sports fans. It's sad that casual fan is the one that moves the Richter Scale. The 4-letter continues to paint the Spurs as workmanlike, efficient, hard hat etc...etc. Paint that picture and then wonder why ratings go down when you LIE about what kind of team the Spurs REALLY ARE.

If the Spurs played EXACTLY the same way, but they were called the New York Knicks, Knickfan would say that his team is getting the right kind of press and they'd be page 1 news instead of page 2 small byline.

REALITY and FU 4 Letter. My only solace is that you will be forced to come to San Antonio again when the Spurs rep the West and work on the drive for FIVE.
:flag: