PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson says no one will beat Spurs; Corbin might change starters

Spurs Brazil
05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/54058030-62/team-corbin-game-jefferson.html.csp

Notes from Jazz practice Sunday at the team workout facility.

Utah coach Tyrone Corbin said he's considering changing his starters for Game 4 on Monday. However, Corbin doesn't plan to announce a decision until shootaround, at the earliest. He wants to give reserve power forward Derrick Favors more time, and hinted the 20-year-old might be moved into the first unit.

Corbin said Favors' learning curve is obviously shortening and Utah's coach respects that the No. 3 overall pick of the 2010 NBA Draft gets "pissed" after losses.

"His determination and desire to win and compete is really showing now," Corbin said. "Even though we haven't had success winning the games … he's really demonstrated he has that other level in him that's going to feel like somebody took something away from him after every loss."

While discussing the strength of San Antonio's pick-and-roll offense — the Spurs have outscored the Jazz 170-108 in the paint during Games 1-3 — Utah center Al Jefferson said he doesn't think anyone's going to beat San Antonio in the playoffs, including his team.

"We didn't give our best effort in Game 2, for whatever reason. But I think Game 1, for the most part, we had a fighting chance. Game 3 we played well," Jefferson said. "I just think it gets to the point where you're just playing a team that's better than you; that know what it takes to win and know how to win.

"If you lose to a team because you didn't play your best, that's one thing. If you're playing your best and doing everything that you can, and you're just playing against a team that's better than you, that's another one."

Jefferson said the Spurs can be beat, since Memphis ousted San Antonio last season during a first-round matchup. He also said Utah won't back down for Game 4. But after watching his unproven team be outscored by a combined 58 points during Games 1-3, reality has set in for the Jazz's starting center.

"Right now, they just playing well, man. I ain't never seen nothing like this," Jefferson said.

He added: "I'm happy to be in the playoffs. I'm happy to go through what I'm going through right now, because that's what it's all about. I just think we're playing against a team that is at its peak, and I don't see nobody beating 'em. … It's a great team. I just take my hat off to 'em. Mad respect."

Brian T. Smith

DPG21920
05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
AL shows too much respect IMO. Series isn't over and you can't talk like that. I appreciate his honesty, but he's approaching Tony Parker levels of candidness.

TJastal
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
AL shows too much respect IMO. Series isn't over and you can't talk like that. I appreciate his honesty, but he's approaching Tony Parker levels of candidness.

Lighten up already.

Spurfect21
05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Any of us would be mad at one of the spurs saying that if the situation was reversed. He basically has thrown in the towel. He is definitely right in what he is saying but if the teams leading scorer has given up, that will usually make the rest of the team follow suit. Excpecting a massacre in game 4 smh

TJastal
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Any of us would be mad at one of the spurs saying that if the situation was reversed. He basically has thrown in the towel. He is definitely right in what he is saying but if the teams leading scorer has given up, that will usually make the rest of the team follow suit. Excpecting a massacre in game 4 smh

He never said he was planning on giving up, unless I missed something. He's just acknowledging the greatness of the spurs.

Whisky Dog
05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Wow. Those are the words of a guy who's overmatched and knows it. This is looking like sweep city and even the Jazz know they can't stop it.

Even in game 3 they started the game shooting lights out but it was all from the outside. Once a little fatigue set in those outside shots weren't falling and the Spurs were still tearing it up at the rim and hitting a few open threes too. I think the Jazz feel like they have their best punch at home in game 3 but it did no damage.

Proxy
05-06-2012, 04:58 PM

I dont thinkso. Situation switched, we would all have given up already.

Spurfect21
05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
He never said he was planning on giving up, unless I missed something. He's just acknowledging the greatness of the spurs.

He said he was "happy to be in the playoffs" after saying he's never seen anything like this. I could be wrong but reading between the lines, those sound like a beaten person who has given up IMO

NRHector
05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
sounds to me like the Spurs are giving them a clinic

Nathan89
05-06-2012, 05:07 PM
His interview after game one was all about how he saw this as a learning experience. It was obvious then he didn't think they had a chance.

dbreiden83080
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Those quotes read like Jazz want to forfeit game 4..

Jefferson is trolling or wants out of Utah..

Dingle Barry
05-06-2012, 05:14 PM
What a pussy. I would be beyond pissed if a Spur said something like this before elimination.

roycrikside
05-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Nobody on the Spurs said anything like that last year during the series, but none of them had any problem admitting afterward that they had no excuses and were just beaten by the better team. Even this year they still said the Grizzlies played better than them last year.

dunkman
05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
0:3 is insurmountable. It's already over.

ajballer4
05-06-2012, 05:58 PM
This statement = blowout game 4. The Jazz played well this series, exception for game 2, and they will be a solid team in a few years if they play their cards right and pick up a few shooters

TE
05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Lighten up already.

:lmao

Wild Cobra Kai
05-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Lighten up already.

Fine irony.

timvp
05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Jeffersons must lack the competitiveness gene.

tony77
05-06-2012, 06:28 PM
His interview after game one was all about how he saw this as a learning experience. It was obvious then he didn't think they had a chance.
Nathan, your gif is one of the funniest I've ever seen :lol

jag
05-06-2012, 06:50 PM
He's just being real. In theory, you probably shouldn't say those things, but he's being honest and saying things that everyone knows.

I don't see it as him "throwing in the towel."

He also said Utah won't back down for Game 4.

therealtruth
05-06-2012, 06:53 PM
The Spurs peaked at the right time and have been able to maintain their offensive rhythm. That will carry them till they face a great defensive team that will try to disrupt their rhythm. A good defensive team is not going to allow wide open shots in rhythm or get lost in the pick and roll. Right now I think the only team that can stop them is the Heat.

Knoxxx
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM

agree but he revealed he is mentally beat in which is dumb.

Budkin
05-06-2012, 07:14 PM
No one will beat the Spurs? I know they're playing well but that's so far from a given. We could end up losing to any team left in the West, especially OKC.

Venti Quattro
05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Like that's going to do anything from preventing them to be swept.

therealtruth
05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
It was funny when he said the Spurs knew their plays better than they did.

The ADMIRAL 50
05-06-2012, 07:35 PM

:tu I agree entirely. You dont say "nobody can beat them" when youre still playing against them. That sends the wrong message to your teammates, even if they know its true. I appreciate his honesty as well in addition to his praise but wait til we knock you out before you say this stuff. You never admit defeat publicly, never.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-06-2012, 08:00 PM
The author, in a sense, sets up Jefferson to look like he lacks competiveness by first establishing Favors as a player that's pissed off when he loses. Not that I disagree with the dichotomy, but I still think Al Jefferson is a good player. He's been on so many losing teams, he's probably just gotten used to losing.

Jumi
05-06-2012, 08:14 PM
OK, so let me get this straight.....When we say our team is the best in the league, it's cool, but if the national media or anothor player says it, he has no fire!!! Bruh, it is what it is! Al is gonna do his best tomorrow night, just like we did last year with Memphis! At the end of the day, the better team will win!

We will not have a blow out tomorrow night! We will have a hard fought game that I think we can win! If we pull away late and make the score seem like the game wasn't competitive then so be it, but it's gonna be a dog fight!!

We haven't won the chip yet! Be easy, fellas!! There's alot more basketball to be played!! Don't jinx this shit with hubris!!!

Pocket Hippo
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Admitting that they do not have a chance to win the series just means that he is not delusional. In a game to restore their pride we took their absolute best punch while on their home court and still won by double digits. We are not a mystery to them, they know exactly what the Spurs are going to do on offense and they cannot stop it.
They need a better/pass first PG, they lack a closer/star that can give them points in crunch time, no one can create their own shots, they have too many undeveloped young players AND a coach with zero play off experience vs the COY with 4 rings.
Honestly if we were in their position I would have no problem with a Spurs player saying this.

BackHome
05-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Once again it is all up to TP if he comes out like a bull out of a china shop than we win easy. He has to come out aggressive and show the go for the jugular game that great players like MJ.

TJastal
05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
:tu I agree entirely. You dont say "nobody can beat them" when youre still playing against them. That sends the wrong message to your teammates, even if they know its true. I appreciate his honesty as well in addition to his praise but wait til we knock you out before you say this stuff. You never admit defeat publicly, never.

They are essentially "knocked out" already, being down 0-3. Get over it.

TampaDude
05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
They are essentially "knocked out" already, being down 0-3. Get over it.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/files/2010/12/stephenasmith.jpg
IT'S OVAH!!!

MI21
05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Not the best turn of phrase to use, Big Al.

He could of said "they are darn near impossible to beat" rather than what he said.

The way he speaks makes it seem like he thinks it's ok for the Jazz to lose because of the Spurs. Weird.

GSH
05-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I wanted to excuse it because he's young, but this is his eighth year in the league. I know a lot of players wind up thinking the exact same things when they realize that they are simply outmatched. But he ought to know better by now than to say it out loud, before the series is actually over.

I hate to even think about how Sloan would have reacted. That might have been his last game with Utah.

TJastal
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
I wanted to excuse it because he's young, but this is his eighth year in the league. I know a lot of players wind up thinking the exact same things when they realize that they are simply outmatched. But he ought to know better by now than to say it out loud, before the series is actually over.

I hate to even think about how Sloan would have reacted. That might have been his last game with Utah.

Who cares. It's nice to actually hear what's really going through an athlete's head from time to time, instead of always the typical canned rehearsed responses. I wouldn't have a problem with a spurs player saying it either, so long as they keep fighting to the end.

Stringer_Bell
05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I agree with the opinion that Big Al shows too much respect for the Spurs. Maybe he wants to come here? Accepting defeat so easily, albeit with a 3-0 deficit, is not something that is going to reflect well with his team or Spurs fans...if you know you're going to get crushed, at least put out a quote that sounds like you aren't ready to fold like a lawn chair or a burmese hooker on your home court.

Shame, shame Mr. Jefferson! :nope

freetiago
05-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Jefferson is the face of Utah and utah wants him out
this helps the transition of getting him out
but idk if any team wants him and his shit contract
maybe the warriors or rockets who are desperate would roll the dice on him

DesignatedT
05-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Somethings are better left unsaid but he's just calling it like it is.

spurspokesman
05-07-2012, 12:23 AM

Nathan that gif is funny as hell lol.

Cow Eye
05-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Who cares. It's nice to actually hear what's really going through an athlete's head from time to time, instead of always the typical canned rehearsed responses. I wouldn't have a problem with a spurs player saying it either, so long as they keep fighting to the end.

Gonna have to partially agree. Personally, I just wish there was no media-player/coach interaction because it's all just the same garbage canned responses.

"They scored better than us. We have to score better if we want to win..."

"They gave 110%. They're a good team."

"We played really well. Our guys shot the ball well. When you score a lot of points and the other team doesn't score as many you win herpaderpaherrrrrp."

Stfu... :sleep

AJ should have just not said anything, but still, it's refreshing not to hear the same b.s. for teh 82,049,390th time.

DMC
05-07-2012, 01:04 AM
You guys need to remember that Utah, since the AK47 days, has a history of packing it in early during the playoffs. AK had airline tickets and vacation plans for the following week, when they were still playing game 3. That's called quitting. It's in their blood, along with lots of other inbred shit.

But I agree with DPG, you cannot say no one can beat them when you are about to go play them again. What kind of a message does that send to your team, that you've given up already. He's probably right about Utah not beating SA, but you can bet other teams still competing think they can beat SA.

DMC
05-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Anyhow, all that has to happen is a key injury on the Spurs, and things change (i.e. Chicago/Philly).

I wouldn't be planning parades just yet.

TJastal
05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Gonna have to partially agree. Personally, I just wish there was no media-player/coach interaction because it's all just the same garbage canned responses.

"They scored better than us. We have to score better if we want to win..."

"They gave 110%. They're a good team."

"We played really well. Our guys shot the ball well. When you score a lot of points and the other team doesn't score as many you win herpaderpaherrrrrp."

Stfu... :sleep

AJ should have just not said anything, but still, it's refreshing not to hear the same b.s. for teh 82,049,390th time.

Funny stuff, cow eye.

I too get tired of hearing Popovich's standard "Well the ball just went in the basket more than the other team and that's why we're winning". Or the players with their canned responses. Sometimes their answers have nothing to do with the questions asked. It's gotten much worse in the past few years. I do appreciate a thoughtful, articulate response. I know people hate Jason Terry around here but I really enjoy his interviews. Carlisle too.

Now I understand you don't want to give away important strategies but for crying out loud at least provide the fans a tidbit that isn't straight out of a can.

TJastal
05-07-2012, 03:27 AM
You guys need to remember that Utah, since the AK47 days, has a history of packing it in early during the playoffs. AK had airline tickets and vacation plans for the following week, when they were still playing game 3. That's called quitting. It's in their blood, along with lots of other inbred shit.

But I agree with DPG, you cannot say no one can beat them when you are about to go play them again. What kind of a message does that send to your team, that you've given up already. He's probably right about Utah not beating SA, but you can bet other teams still competing think they can beat SA.

So if the inbreds come out and score a victory Monday you should self-impose a ban on yourself for being a complete idiot on a messageboard.

LkrFan
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Jefferson barely has a HS diploma. He's not too bright. :downspin: