PDA

View Full Version : not signing this guy biggest mistake in mavs history?

u4lakers14
05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/tumblr_lloow4upZA1qccki6.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/tyson3.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/tyson2.jpg

irishock
05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes. You don't go from Tyson Chandler to Deron Williams. You don't even go from Tyson Chandler to douchebag Dwight Howard. Dirk would be lost in the shuffle if he teamed with Dwight.

u4lakers14
05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
well, i dont know what they have in mind, but he was such a perfect fit for that team man. i dont really get it.

its not like they were going to have to pay him mad money either. ny got him for like 13 a year.

oh well, i was glad to see him go to the east.

Jelloisjigglin
05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes. You don't go from Tyson Chandler to Deron Williams. You don't even go from Tyson Chandler to douchebag Dwight Howard. Dirk would be lost in the shuffle if he teamed with Dwight.

Even if they get both Dwight and Deron it's still retarded because that doesn't = championship necessarily.

You had a proven championship roster and you decided to essentially gut it for a shot at these guys?

Stupid.

Latarian Milton
05-06-2012, 11:15 PM
the mistake isn't "not signing someone" imho. signing contract whore was a terrible mistake which might be even worse then the dampier signing back in mid 00s. im pretty sure cuban WOULD agree to give TC a long contract if he hadn't re-signed contract whore and if he had got TC a bit earlier he would've just shown the door to haywood, instead of giving him a lucrative contract which he doesn't deserve.

MattBonnerExperience
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Cuban's a smart man, he wasted this year for a better next few years. He didn't kill the cap for the next 4 years for 1 title run. This was a very luck involved year for every team and Cuban took tbd safe route and gets a better future.

pass1st
05-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Tyson wasn't worth, what 14 mil a year? Chances are that he would get lazy after getting paid too

irishock
05-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Tyson wasn't worth, what 14 mil a year? Chances are that he would get lazy after getting paid too

Yeah, winning DPOY the year after getting paid and turned around the Knicks defense for the first time in 15 years

pass1st
05-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah, winning DPOY the year after getting paid and turned around the Knicks defense for the first time in 15 years

It's not hard to turn around the Knicks defense if you're the only person on the team that heard about that word :lol

That's a lot of money for a player that is defensive oriented and gives average offense.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2012, 11:40 PM
pay 14m for a guy whose serious

or pay a clown max who keeps smiling?

Jacob1983
05-07-2012, 12:10 AM
This is probably top 5 in biggest mistakes in Mavs history but not the biggest.
2006 NBA Finals has to be the biggest mistake in Mavs history. I'd also put up the fact that if the Mavs had beaten the Warriors 2 or 3 more times in the regular season in 2006-2007, they probably wouldn't have played them in the first round and history wouldn't have been made.

DMC
05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Tyson's absence didn't force Dirk to enter the season pussified and weak. That's on him.

#41 Shoot Em Up
05-07-2012, 12:29 AM
No.

DisAsTerBot
05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Excuses thread

dylankerouac
05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
A defensive anchor is priceless.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
I understood the reluctancy to pay him, but paying a future fat PG with a terrible attitude is just as risky, tbh..also, you'd be relying on a PG as your franchise player in a year or 2, which is a failure, as Dok always says..

This would have been a great chance at a repeat, the West is wide open..not only did they miss Chandler's toughness and defense, but his offense was sorely missed..at least he can catch and dunk, unlike the incompetent Haywood..

West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson

Those were upgrades IMO..this Mavs team had the potential to improve from last year, with Chandler in the mix, tbh..

tesseractive
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Which was worse? Letting Chandler walk? Or letting Nash walk and watching him go win MVP awards in Phoenix?

HeatChamps
05-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Yep. Deron probably comes there if Chandler is kept. No Chandler, no Deron. Oh the irony. :lol

Pelicans78
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Of course he is worth 14 million a year. His production backs it up. He had a great season after getting this long contract.

Pelicans78
05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I understood the reluctancy to pay him, but paying a future fat PG with a terrible attitude is just as risky, tbh..also, you'd be relying on a PG as your franchise player in a year or 2, which is a failure, as Dok always says..

This would have been a great chance at a repeat, the West is wide open..not only did they miss Chandler's toughness and defense, but his offense was sorely missed..at least he can catch and dunk, unlike the incompetent Haywood..

West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson

Those were upgrades IMO..this Mavs team had the potential to improve from last year, with Chandler in the mix, tbh..

I agree with you. Its stupid letting Chandler go, just to get Deron Williams. Horrible decision.

Plus, now they won't be able to get Howard.

Reminds me of how Dumars traded Billups just to clear cap room and promote Stuckey as the savior at PG.

DMC
05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Which was worse? Letting Chandler walk? Or letting Nash walk and watching him go win MVP awards in Phoenix?
Nobody gives a fuck if Nash won 5 MVP awards. He doesn't play a lick of defense and he's huge liability in that regard, so his MVP never translated to a title, or even a Finals appearance.

Also, I think Mark knows exactly what he's doing. I have a hard time calling a self made billionaire at his age an "idiot". He's savvy as fuck, he just isn't telling us his motives.

HeatChamps
05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Nobody gives a fuck if Nash won 5 MVP awards. He doesn't play a lick of defense and he's huge liability in that regard, so his MVP never translated to a title, or even a Finals appearance.

Also, I think Mark knows exactly what he's doing. I have a hard time calling a self made billionaire at his age an "idiot". He's savvy as fuck, he just isn't telling us his motives.
The biggest problems with the Suns defense was Amare at Center. I seem to remember Nash getting the better of Terry and Harris. Mavs fucked up big time by not resigning Nash or Chandler. Cuban is just an amateur owner with a lot of money to buy his way through his mistakes.

Stalin
05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Yes, cuban is a dumbass, there have been franchises in the nba for decades and never sniffed a title. When you have a chance at one you have to go for it, or might never have another opportunity for it. Another reason why it was a fluke championship. Their fo stumbled on a championship player and their fo wasn't smart enough to resign him. Look at the lakers, celtics, spurs, no one would claim they had fluke championships, since they know how to build title contenders, and don't make choking in the playoffs into an artform the way mavs do. All mavs do is sign seemingly random players(lol lo) and hope they get lucky. Cubes is an amateur owner, indeed.

Brazil
05-07-2012, 06:11 PM

West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson

While I kinda agree with that

West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson

I do feel Barea with his speed and his faculty to go nuts during some stretch would have been more useful than West against OKC for instance.

Carter is a massive upgrade on the O but I feel Mavs also miss a bit Stevenson perimeter defense. I thought he had a positive contribution on the 2011 title.

just my two cents anyway

I don't know if Tyson would have been enough for the mavs to repeat, Dirk did regress compared to last year and while Kidd had been good in 2011, he lost a huge step this year

Brazil
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
but yes Cuban has been dumb on this one, if you have a shot at one title go all in without thinking about the future. you never know if your plans will work anyway so many factors can change.

I do respect Pop for that, he is trying to get things done now. He is no fool to think spurs will land another Duncan soon so even if he is old give him all you can now to try to bring another one.

apalisoc_9
05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I thought we landed on the moon already? I am super confused...

dbestpro
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM

The only thing is almost all of the other owners are just as savvy when it comes to business or the would not be able to own an NBA team. He got a ring and then did nothing to defend the ring. Smacks of arrogance, which is a whole lot different than savvy.

clambake
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
biggest mavs mistake ever was letting roy tarpley out of their sights.

Stalin
05-07-2012, 07:01 PM
this fuckup on the level of spurfan trading scola for nothing, tbh