PDA

View Full Version : How long will everyone willfully ignore.........

Man Mountain
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
How long will everyone willfully ignore the fact the Spurs are the best team?
By John Hollinger

For a while longer, apparently. Please, everyone, more essays on the Lakers' and Celtics' title chances. Don't let San Antonio's 27-3 mark in its past 30 games with the Big Three and near-certain home-court advantage for every remaining series distract you. And by all means, feel free to ignore the fact the Spurs are 19-1 on the road in their past 20 games the Big Three have played.

After three methodical beatdowns of Utah, including one of the sweetest last-second plays you'll ever see to get a Matt Bonner 3 at the end of the first half of Game 3, the scary thought is that San Antonio's defense is catching up to its offense. The thought entering this series was that Utah's bruising post game was the perfect attack to face San Antonio, especially after Zach Randolph beat them up in the playoffs last spring. Instead, a spry-looking Tim Duncan has completely bottled up Al Jefferson, Boris Diaw has provided a much-needed post defender at the 4 and the Spurs are fourth in playoff defensive efficiency -- a mark that would be even better were it not for the copious amounts of garbage time in the first three games.

So keep ignoring them. They'll just be quietly chuckling while they await their next overmatched opponent, standing 13 wins from one of the greatest closing kicks in league annals. Not that anyone's noticed.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/PERDiem-120507/nba-playoffs-questions-answers

SpursRock20
05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Hollinger is officially on our band wagon. Funny, he wouldn't be if his system gave better championship odds to another team.

SpurinDallas
05-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Just posting what Hollinger had to say about the Spurs.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/lrg/trans/sas.gif

For a while longer, apparently. Please, everyone, more essays on the Lakers' and Celtics' title chances. Don't let San Antonio's 27-3 mark in its past 30 games with the Big Three and near-certain home-court advantage for every remaining series distract you. And by all means, feel free to ignore the fact the Spurs are 19-1 on the road in their past 20 games the Big Three have played.
After three methodical beatdowns of Utah, including one of the sweetest last-second plays you'll ever see to get a Matt Bonner (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1996/matt-bonner) 3 at the end of the first half of Game 3, the scary thought is that San Antonio's defense is catching up to its offense. The thought entering this series was that Utah's bruising post game was the perfect attack to face San Antonio, especially after Zach Randolph (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1017/zach-randolph) beat them up in the playoffs last spring. Instead, a spry-looking Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan) has completely bottled up Al Jefferson (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2389/al-jefferson), Boris Diaw (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2167/boris-diaw) has provided a much-needed post defender at the 4 and the Spurs are fourth in playoff defensive efficiency -- a mark that would be even better were it not for the copious amounts of garbage time in the first three games.
So keep ignoring them. They'll just be quietly chuckling while they await their next overmatched opponent, standing 13 wins from one of the greatest closing kicks in league annals. Not that anyone's noticed.

anonoftheinternets
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Hollinger is officially on our band wagon. Funny, he wouldn't be if his system gave better championship odds to another team.

also did you know that if ur standing outside and notice that ur getting wet, there is a good chance its raining. :p:

smeagol
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Just posting what Hollinger had to say about the Spurs.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/lrg/trans/sas.gif

After three methodical beatdowns of Utah, including one of the sweetest last-second plays you'll ever see to get a Matt Bonner (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1996/matt-bonner) 3 at the end of the first half of Game 3, the scary thought is that San Antonio's defense is catching up to its offense. The thought entering this series was that Utah's bruising post game was the perfect attack to face San Antonio, especially after Zach Randolph (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1017/zach-randolph) beat them up in the playoffs last spring. Instead, a spry-looking Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan) has completely bottled up Al Jefferson (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2389/al-jefferson), Boris Diaw (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2167/boris-diaw) has provided a much-needed post defender at the 4 and the Spurs are fourth in playoff defensive efficiency -- a mark that would be even better were it not for the copious amounts of garbage time in the first three games.

I thought this guy hates de Spurs

GSH
05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
The really ironic thing is that a lot of people will still ignore the fact that the Spurs are the best team, even if they win the Championship.

Solid D
05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for posting this, Man Mountain. The playoffs are about matchups and the hot team.

DesignatedT
05-07-2012, 01:23 PM
All the way to the end.

etbluffer
05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
If the Spurs win it all, everyone will just talk about what if's... What if Rose hadn't gotten hurt... What if Harden wasn't elbowed in the head by Peace... What if Chris Paul had ended up with the other LA team... What if Lebron wouldn't fold in the fourth quarters.. And most importantly- WHAT IF THE SEASON WAS A REGULAR 82 GAME SEASON.... I SAY FORGET IT- GO SPURS GO!!

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
b4 the trade deadline, the spurs were right there with the other teams for the best record, they did throw 4 games away after premature ejaculatioin leads...2 of the games on the back of 2 11 game winning streaks, had pop not throw those 2 games away, spurs wouldve locked up home court and best record in the league....our team record should be higher imo...

if we can bring back the same roster for next season in the full 82 game format, i think this team can break the bulls season win record....pop could move back up over .700% for his win-loss tally

Solid D
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I think Harden has become more of a force since his concussion..but yeah, IF the Spurs keep winning, lots of folks will dismiss their success because of good fortune or luck. Anything to help people get closure on their own disappointments.

I Heart Ginobili
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
As long as they can. Even if they win it all it will still be considered an asterisk season

101A
05-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Frankly, I am still having trouble getting my head around just how good the Spurs are. They are performing so far above my (homer) expectations, that I am afraid to believe that they are, in fact, PROHIBITIVE favorites to take home LOB #5

101A
05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Oh, and 19 -1 ON THE ROAD!!!:wow

DAF86
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM

How is that funny? Of course he wouldn't be saying that the Spurs are the best team if the system he came up with and that he so religiously follows said otherwise. He has been pretty consistent regarding this throughout the years and more often than not he has been right.

JR3
05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
This is interesting.. I keep telling myself that we are not as good as we are playing. But...The spurs keep playing like they are indeed THAT GOOD!! CAN'T COMPLAIN!! GO SPURS GO!!!

05-07-2012, 02:08 PM
the spurs have yet to be tested. they need to face an equally talented team like the thunder or heat or face a major weakness like the grizzlies and lakers. can't really say they are the best team yet, especially what happened last year when they were the number 1 seed.

buttsR4rebounding
05-07-2012, 02:15 PM
During the current 13 game winning streak the Spurs are winning by an average margin of 18 points per game. The Spurs are the only team in the playoffs averaging 100 points per game and they are over 107. This team is playing out of their minds.:lobt2:

tesseractive
05-07-2012, 02:22 PM
As long as they can. Even if they win it all it will still be considered an asterisk season

I guess we'll just have to keep going out and winning titles then.

taps
05-07-2012, 02:28 PM
"Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults.
If you succeed in doing this, tell me how."

taps
05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
"Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults.
If you succeed in doing this, tell me how."

jestersmash
ESPN posted a couple of tweets regarding the Spurs' dominance as well -

RoyceWebb Royce Webb, ESPN NBA
RT @tomhaberstroh: Spurs' point margin over last 13 games: +10, +14, +21, +21, +25, +24, +16, +35, +4, +6, +15, +31, +12. Average? +18.

Love this next one -

tomhaberstroh Tom Haberstroh
+21 and +24 were vs. LAL. Lakers fans = the best. RT @JasonAlan77: game 14...they got the hell beat out of them by LAL. Don't crown they yet

TrueHoop Henry Abbott
"They'll just be quietly chuckling." @Johnhollinger on ignored, dominant Spurs. Joey Crawford, however, can eject them for that.

Paranoid Pop
Like Pop said the best team is not decided yet.

jestersmash
ESPN posted a couple of tweets regarding the Spurs' dominance as well -

RoyceWebb Royce Webb, ESPN NBA
RT @tomhaberstroh: Spurs' point margin over last 13 games: +10, +14, +21, +21, +25, +24, +16, +35, +4, +6, +15, +31, +12. Average? +18.

Love this next one -

tomhaberstroh Tom Haberstroh
+21 and +24 were vs. LAL. Lakers fans = the best. RT @JasonAlan77: game 14...they got the hell beat out of them by LAL. Don't crown they yet

TrueHoop Henry Abbott
"They'll just be quietly chuckling." @Johnhollinger on ignored, dominant Spurs. Joey Crawford, however, can eject them for that.

CubanMustGo
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I'd like someone to go back over the last ten years (or however long he's been doing this) and grade his predictions at the beginning of the postseason vs. actual results.

It's like using history to pick which stock or mutual fund you should buy. Hollinger's formulas are totally backward-looking, and as they say, unfortunately, "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Budkin
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Should we get to the Finals and meet the Heat... how do you think we'll match up?

timtonymanurich
05-07-2012, 03:49 PM
It will be the closest of all the matchups. Potentially. We'll match up well against them, and they - us. I think in the end it will be Spurs in 6-7 games because I just don't see any team beating us 4 times in 7 games. Crazy-stupid thing is, is we're still only playing at about 70-80%.

Somhow, Pop knows how to turn it up even higher when the Playoffs peak in the WCF & NBA Finals.

If the Spurs are playing this well now, I can't wait to see how good they can play with EVERYTHING. ON. THE. LINE.

senorglory
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Crazy-stupid thing is, is we're still only playing at about 70-80%.

Somhow, Pop knows how to turn it up even higher when the Playoffs peak in the WCF & NBA Finals.

If the Spurs are playing this well now, I can't wait to see how good they can play with EVERYTHING. ON. THE. LINE.

Manu returning to form could be that other 20%.

TampaDude
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Want to know what's really scary?

The Spurs have beaten the Jazz by an average of over 19 points in Games 1-3, and Manu hasn't even hit a 3-pointer in the playoffs yet.

The Spurs still have another gear left. :hat

Jumi
05-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I think the Celts would be the worst match up for us! That would be a true heavyweight fight!! It feels good to live in fantasy land again! Maybe we make it, maybe we don't, but at least we have a chance!! That's all you can ask for!!!!

Knoxxx
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Can you introduce me to the girl in your video snippet there?

Wild Cobra Kai
05-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Should we get to the Finals and meet the Heat... how do you think we'll match up?

Heat are weak defensively against talented PGs and Cs. :smokin

Wild Cobra Kai
05-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Can you introduce me to the girl in your video snippet there?

Can you stop being such a gnsf?

Knoxxx
05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Can you stop being such a gnsf?

Still bitter about the Diaw thread I see.

I don't know what that means and don't care. I do know trolling when I see it though.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Still bitter about the Diaw thread I see.

I don't know what that means and don't care. I do know trolling when I see it though.

what thread? :lol

gnsf = gray named Spurs fan = rookie. Here's a hint: no one knows any of the chicks in their pictures or videos. :lol:rollin:lol:rollin

SupremeGuy
05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Can you introduce me to the girl in your video snippet there?That's Kate Upton, homie. :toast

Knoxxx
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
what thread? :lol

Here's a hint: no one knows any of the chicks in their pictures or videos. :lol:rollin:lol:rollin

No shit sherlock. Please spare the worthless acronyms they aren't clever much less funny. If they are supposed to hurt my feelings that's not working either.

Your "attempting" to diss a Spurs fan who has seen the Ice Man play in person. I think I'll survive the misguided attempt. :sleep

KaiRMD1
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
With Tony being the leader, I guess it was a good thing huh? Is Tony the leader though?