PDA

View Full Version : ***Western Conference Semifinals Start Time/Possible Opponent Watch Thread***

edgar
05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Memphis or Clippers? Who's it going to be?

Sunday-Wednesday or Thursday-Saturday? When's it going to start?

:flag:

ShoogarBear
05-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Hopefully the bloody carcass of a seven-game survivor.

Russo21
05-07-2012, 10:42 PM

Sounds good to me

Darkwaters
05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
We get into issues of too much rest though if we wait for a seven game series. Then the rust starts to set in. Also, if we wait too long to start the series we afford OKC the opportunity to be several games ahead of us, wrap up their series, and then be fresh waiting on us to finish.

I don't especially fear the Clippers. Duke it out for a bloody 6 game series and then bring it over to SA for your beat down.

timmo
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM

this

and throw in a couple of OT games for good measure

DesignatedT
05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
6 game series would be better. It goes 7 games means their will be a b2b in the second round.

Spurminator
05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Honestly, I want the semis to start as soon as possible. The Spurs are on a roll and I don't feel like they're in any danger of wearing themselves out as long as they're getting 1-2 days' rest between games. Bring on the Clippers and bring them on ASAP. Let's keep the momentum going.

Russo21
05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Clippers
Parker can take on Paul
Duncan and Tiago can take on Griffin and Jordan
Jax Manu and Leonard should kill Butler Young and Foye on the wings
And then our bench and depth is way better and deeper.

Grizzlies
Have just like 4 good players, 2 ok players, and the rest duds. In no way firing on all cylinders like they were last year.

We should dismantle both teams with relative ease. Bring on the Clippers as they'll get here by game 5. We'll have to wait 6 or 7 if the grizzlies come to town.

ShoogarBear
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't especially fear the Clippers. Duke it out for a bloody 6 game series and then bring it over to SA for your beat down.

I do want whoever wins to be beat up, although I can agree with the potential problem of too much rest.

However, I can't decide a preference between the Clippers and the Griz. The Clips are ostensibly the weaker team, but Chris Paul can easily win two games of any series all by himself. And revenge against the Griz would be sweet.

Russo21
05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
The age old rest vs rust dillema lol

Reck
05-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Did you changed your name or something GuitarDude/Eyestalker? :lol

davidbowie
05-07-2012, 11:08 PM
don't want anything to do with memphis

Spursfan092120
05-07-2012, 11:10 PM
don't want anything to do with memphis

Yeah...because kicking their asses in the regular season obviously means they're going to turn it around and beat us in the playoffs. Makes perfect sense.

Reck
05-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah...because kicking their asses in the regular season obviously means they're going to turn it around and beat us in the playoffs. Makes perfect sense.

Watching them play the Clippers and seeing Zbo self destruct is so terrifying. Oh noes get the Memphis out of here. I'm scared. :cry

Old School 44
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
With both LA teams playing in Staples, I wonder how much the scheduling will be impacted if the Spurs meet the Clips and the Lakers meet OKC, especially considering OKC and Spurs will both have home court?

davidbowie
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM

pretty sure we beat them last year in the regular season too

ShoogarBear
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
pretty sure we beat them last year in the regular season too

Split 2-2. Won the first two in SA (one OT), lost the next two in Memphis.

davidbowie
05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
don't get me wrong we're gonna beat whoever we face

kdaltcu
05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
If Clips close out on Weds then will we play Friday or Saturday?

Anyone know?

Legacy
05-08-2012, 08:29 AM

YES. :devil

Venti Quattro
05-08-2012, 08:36 AM
If the Spurs face the Clippers, I hope someone punches Ginger Spice in the face.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
If the Spurs face the Clippers, I hope someone punches Ginger Spice in the face.

Someone really needs to do a Palpatine/Anakin flopping photoshop of Blake and Paul. Griffin's well on his way to the dark side.

Obstructed_View
05-08-2012, 08:48 AM
And to the topic: The sooner the better. Nothing in the east is going to go quickly. The Spurs are going to end up with way too much rest.

Legacy
05-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I certainly understand the quicker, the better... but I really don't think that Pop will let The Spurs just sit around for days and days with their thumbs up their asses, either. *shrug*

Russ
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM

That could squeeze the Spurs before the start of the WCF (likely a tougher series). :(

Obstructed_View
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
I certainly understand the quicker, the better... but I really don't think that Pop will let The Spurs just sit around for days and days with their thumbs up their asses, either. *shrug*

It's been said by far too many people with far more experience than you or me that there's no simulation for game speed.

cheguevara
05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Spurs players want the Grizz. They want revenge.

Let them have it. Going into the WC Finals with the sweet taste of revenge in the mouth is ideal.

mudyez
05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Lets bring on the Clipps NOW!

Tony and CP3 cancle each other out.
Diaw is the perfect fit for Blake.
Timmy can chill vs. Jordan, which shotblocking isnt a factor against our shooting and TP.

Lets roll as long as we are rolling!

Bruno
05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
My guess:
If Clippers win in 5, Spurs series will start on Saturday.
If Clippers win in 6, Spurs series will start on Monday.
If Clippers/Grizzlies goes to 7, Spurs series will start on Tuesday.

I'm not sold on Clippers beating Grizzlies even if they are up 3-1. Grizzlies ave the better team but their problem is that they have ballhogs with Gay, Mayo and Randolph. Hollins needs to call them out. And Poor Marc Gasol, he should really miss the way Spanish NT share the ball.

robino2001
05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
My guess:
If Clippers win in 5, Spurs series will start on Saturday.
If Clippers win in 6, Spurs series will start on Monday.
If Clippers/Grizzlies goes to 7, Spurs series will start on Tuesday.

Someone last night (Rick Renner maybe.... Monaco...?) repeatedly said that the earliest the series may be would be Friday. If the Lakers win tonight and the Clippers tomorrow, then I'd think the NBA would almost want to go OKC/Lakers Thursday and SA/Clippers Friday, otherwise the networks would only have one (or maybe even no) game those days.

robino2001
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Someone last night (Rick Renner maybe.... Monaco...?) repeatedly said that the earliest the series may be would be Friday. If the Lakers win tonight and the Clippers tomorrow, then I'd think the NBA would almost want to go OKC/Lakers Thursday and SA/Clippers Friday, otherwise the networks would only have one (or maybe even no) game those days.

I should know better than to trust Renner/Monaco... Rampage are at home Friday... so obviously it couldn't be Friday night should the Clippers win tomorrow.

Jimcs50
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm ready for a Friday game against Clippers. Clippers finish off Grizz on Wednesday, fly to SA, get only one day to get ready for Spurs, they lay an egg, lose by 23 points.

That is my plan.:toast

sa_butta
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Before the playoffs started I thought Stern mentioned that there would be back 2 backs in the 2nd round. I have not heard anything recently, but is this still true??

JR3
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm good with any of these match ups. The Grizz give us a chance for revenge, but I think we match up better with the Clippers and it will be a slightly easier series.

goliath
05-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Spurs can't start friday. The Rampage have a playoff game at the ATT Center that night.

sa_butta
05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Earliest start is Saturday and latest is Tuesday.

goliath
05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN
Revising: Earliest round 2 could start for Spurs is Saturday. Latest is Tuesday.

BRs.Ganso
05-08-2012, 12:06 PM
7 games with Clippers i think

Parker against CP3 will be awesome. :toast

Legacy
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Seriously, just serve us the "bloody" leftovers and I'm friggin happy.

That is all.

:hungry: LOL

Jimcs50
05-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Spurs can't start friday. The Rampage have a playoff game at the ATT Center that night.

WTF are the Rampage?

TampaDude
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
WTF are the Rampage?

San Antonio's AHL team.

Jimcs50
05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
San Antonio's AHL team.

:rolleyes

They play in our arena? What, they get 1000 people there at games???

buttsR4rebounding
05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
With both LA teams playing in Staples, I wonder how much the scheduling will be impacted if the Spurs meet the Clips and the Lakers meet OKC, especially considering OKC and Spurs will both have home court?

It probably makes any b2b's less likely

robino2001
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Don't forget the Kings in the NHL WCF's as well...

Splits
05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
B2Bs will only occur if one series gets started much later than another. So as long as the Clips take care of business in 5 or 6 then it shouldn't occur. Ideally Clips in 5 and Lakers take 7 games to get rid of the Nugs and then OKC/LA would have a b2b, but very unlikely. Worst case scenario is Mem forces a game 7 and LAL wraps up tonight.

timvp
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
I think the only way a back-to-back is guaranteed NOT to happen is if the Clippers win Game 5. Is that enough to root for the Clips?

Maybe.

manufan10
05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I really don't think that Pop will let The Spurs just sit around for days and days with their thumbs up their asses, either. *shrug*

Pop sure knows how to take the fun out of everything. :depressed

Legacy
05-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Pop sure knows how to take the fun out of everything. :depressed

:lol Pop is a fun-sucker.

T Park
05-09-2012, 12:47 AM
:rolleyes

They play in our arena? What, they get 1000 people there at games???

Shove it.

They get quite a bit of fans out there and they are a damn fun team to watch.

STuff the rolleyes bullshit.

Bruno
05-09-2012, 01:36 AM
If Lakers lose too game 6 at Denver and if Clippers win in 5 or 6 games against Grizzlies, Spurs should start their series Sunday.

DAF86
05-09-2012, 01:47 AM
I think the only way a back-to-back is guaranteed NOT to happen is if the Clippers win Game 5. Is that enough to root for the Clips?

Maybe.

No, if anything is enough to root for the complete oposite, specially if the Clippers end up winning in 6 or 7.

A banged up Clippers team coming off a tough physical long series going up against a rested team that happens to be the deepest one in the league. I kinda hope we play a back-2-back in round 2, tbh.

Old School 44
05-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Don't forget the Kings in the NHL WCF's as well...

With all this potentially going on, has there ever been a basketball double header in the same arena with different teams and fans? I doubt if it would happen, but it would be fun!

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Shove it.

They get quite a bit of fans out there and they are a damn fun team to watch.

STuff the rolleyes bullshit.

Hockey is real fun to watch. Riiight. Maybe if you're Canadian and there is nothing else to do cuz it's 10 below zero outside.

Yeah, I bet you like watching soccer also...just love watching those 1-0 scores.

:lol

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Oh, and TPark, I guess you like it that the Spurs can not play on Friday because the arena is booked for 5-6000 people to watch a 2-1 hockey game, while we have to start another series on a Saturday, instead of the preferred Friday-Sunday slot. You still are an idiot, you know that?

This is a Spurs forum, numbnuts, so stop defending a team that causes our Spurs and their fans to not get an ideal situation.

:bang

timvp
05-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Maybe.

No, if anything is enough to root for the complete oposite, specially if the Clippers end up winning in 6 or 7.

A banged up Clippers team coming off a tough physical long series going up against a rested team that happens to be the deepest one in the league. I kinda hope we play a back-2-back in round 2, tbh.A back-to-back in the playoffs, no matter the circumstances for the opposition, is bad for the Spurs. The Big 3 specifically plays much worse on the second night of back-to-backs, particularly when it comes to shooting the basketball.

Depth is nice but I'd much rather avoid having to play a game in which the Big 3 will only be about 75% effective. And whether its the Clips or Grizz, they're young enough that a back-to-back won't hurt them nearly as much as it will hurt the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
FWIW...........

Spurs on back-to-backs: 15-6*
Clippers on b2b's: 10-10
Grizzlies: 13-6

* at least one of Big 3 missing for 4 out of 6 losses

I'm really not seeing B2B's as something to get overly worked up about. Yeah, it would be less than ideal, but the Spurs have more than held their own in B2B's this season.

100%duncan
05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Honestly, I want the semis to start as soon as possible. The Spurs are on a roll and I don't feel like they're in any danger of wearing themselves out as long as they're getting 1-2 days' rest between games. Bring on the Clippers and bring them on ASAP. Let's keep the momentum going.

ffadicted
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Hopefully the Floppers can close it out on the road (very much doubt it lol) and we can get this shit started asap

rmt
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Probably be best to start Friday, have no b2b, win early and wait for OKC vs LAL/DEN to hopefully go 7 games with b2b.

Finals are set to start on a certain date so should be adequate rest (if they win) as long as WCF doesn't go 7 games.

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Probably be best to start Friday, have no b2b, win early and wait for OKC vs LAL/DEN to hopefully go 7 games with b2b.

Finals are set to start on a certain date so should be adequate rest (if they win) as long as WCF doesn't go 7 games.

Can not play on Friday because TPark has said that the most wonderful team in SA, the Rampage, is scheduled to play there. So they can sell 4000 tickets to people who want to watch paint dry...er....hockey.

Luxic
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
According to nba.com (http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html), the earliest possible date for the second round is Saturday 12th. So there's no need to blame/bash the Rampage.

Beaverfuzz
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
It will start Saturday, Clipps are finishing off the Grizz.

timvp
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
FWIW...........

Spurs on back-to-backs: 15-6*
Clippers on b2b's: 10-10
Grizzlies: 13-6

* at least one of Big 3 missing for 4 out of 6 losses

I'm really not seeing B2B's as something to get overly worked up about. Yeah, it would be less than ideal, but the Spurs have more than held their own in B2B's this season.The Spurs' record is good no matter how you slice it. And with their depth, it's not a surprise that they can win regular season games.

But there's no denying the Big 3 is worse without at least one day of rest. Consider that Game 3 will most likely require a lot of minutes by the Big 3 and the back-to-back could be even more detrimental than the numbers indicate.

Here's the back-to-back decline of each player:

-Tony Parker averaged three less points per game despite playing more minutes. His shooting percentage was only 46.1% on back-to-backs. To compare, with one day of rest he shot 49.3%.

-Tim Duncan averaged less points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals despite playing in more minutes per game. His shooting in back-to-backs was 46%, compared to 50% with one day rest and 52.2% with two days of rest.

-Manu Ginobili averaged 12.3 points with no rest and 15.9 points with one day rest. His field goal percentage dropped but what really fell was his three-point accuracy: 30.4% in back-to-backs, 48.4% with one day of rest.

I don't care about any other possible stat; the Spurs are much more likely to lose a back-to-back game in the playoffs than if they get sufficient rest. Their best three players have too much wear and tear to expect them to bounce back without adequate downtime. Players like CP3, Griffin, Gasol, Conley, etc are much more likely to play up to their normal abilities on the second day of a back-to-back simply due to their ages and lack of accumulated minutes.

urunobili
05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Do we have any precedents with stats of playoffs b2b games to ponder? the b2b will be tough on the opponent too.

I believe it's being blown out of proportions with regular season stats TBH

Manu-20
05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Hoping that those clippers get the job done so the spurs aren't over rested.

DAF86
05-09-2012, 04:47 PM
The Spurs' record is good no matter how you slice it. And with their depth, it's not a surprise that they can win regular season games.

But there's no denying the Big 3 is worse without at least one day of rest. Consider that Game 3 will most likely require a lot of minutes by the Big 3 and the back-to-back could be even more detrimental than the numbers indicate.

Here's the back-to-back decline of each player:

-Tony Parker averaged three less points per game despite playing more minutes. His shooting percentage was only 46.1% on back-to-backs. To compare, with one day of rest he shot 49.3%.

-Tim Duncan averaged less points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals despite playing in more minutes per game. His shooting in back-to-backs was 46%, compared to 50% with one day rest and 52.2% with two days of rest.

-Manu Ginobili averaged 12.3 points with no rest and 15.9 points with one day rest. His field goal percentage dropped but what really fell was his three-point accuracy: 30.4% in back-to-backs, 48.4% with one day of rest.

I don't care about any other possible stat; the Spurs are much more likely to lose a back-to-back game in the playoffs than if they get sufficient rest. Their best three players have too much wear and tear to expect them to bounce back without adequate downtime. Players like CP3, Griffin, Gasol, Conley, etc are much more likely to play up to their normal abilities on the second day of a back-to-back simply due to their ages and lack of accumulated minutes.

The big three numbers decline a bit in b2b but that's to be expected, I haven't look but probably the number of most stars in the league decline in b2b's.

Also our stars usually play less minutes per game than the stars from other teams.

I don't know, I would feel pretty confident playing a b2b, specially if the Grizzlies/Clippers series goes far.

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
After studying this, I decided that I want Clippers to win on Friday, not tonight. This way Spurs start on Sunday against a team that played a tough 6 game series that ended on Friday night.

slick'81
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
i hope the girzzz can push this to six then bow out giving the spurs some extra rest for a tough series coming up

silverblackfan
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I think Memphis will win tonight and force a game 6. The clippers will have to finish it on Friday.
Although it is a lot of rest, the Spurs should be able to handle them on Sunday.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
After studying this, I decided that I want Clippers to win on Friday, not tonight. This way Spurs start on Sunday against a team that played a tough 6 game series that ended on Friday night.

May have been mentioned already, but KSAT just reported that if the Clippers win in fewer than 7 games, the WCSF will start on Sunday at noon. That certainly makes the idea situation a Clippers closeout in Game 6.

Spurs had to deal with a turnaround like that in 2006, winning in Sacramento on a Friday evening and then playing Game 1 against Dallas on Sunday afternoon. Spurs managed to win on Sunday, but then seemed to run out of gas in Game 2.

emanueldavidginobili
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
NBA has confirmed if the Clippers win in 5 or 6, Game 1 of the WCSF in San Antonio sunday at noon..

Buddy Holly
05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Game will be Sunday at noon unless the Clips/Grizz go seven.

DesignatedT
05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
wow. fucking gay. another noon start. fml

shyne
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
That sucks cock, they can't come up with a better time than noon?

justinandimcool
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Clips/Grizz better go 7 now. Fuck noon games. Not that they're bad for the Spurs per se, but Sunday's the only day i get to sleep in :lol

Wild Cobra Kai
05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
And to the topic: The sooner the better. Nothing in the east is going to go quickly. The Spurs are going to end up with way too much rest.

If Miami wraps tonight, there is nothing stopping their series with Indy from starting any time Friday or later.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Before the playoffs started I thought Stern mentioned that there would be back 2 backs in the 2nd round. I have not heard anything recently, but is this still true??

I think if you're first round series goes seven games, or you second round opponents does, it will happen. If you both finish early, then no.

Quiet Strength
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Wow sunday at noon? That fucking sucks. I kinda want it to go seven games now.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Wow sunday at noon? That fucking sucks. I kinda want it to go seven games now.

Nope. Seven games invokes the second round b2b.

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I think if you're first round series goes seven games, or you second round opponents does, it will happen. If you both finish early, then no.

That's been my assumption, too. If you can get your series into the "move-up" window -- starting this weekend instead of next Monday or Tuesday -- the odds against a back-to-back seem good.

If the Spurs start on Sunday, they can play Game 2 on Tuesday, Game 3 on Thursday/Friday, and Game 4 on Saturday/Sunday.

If the Spurs started on Tuesday, then you get Game 2 on Thursday and I think you end up with Games 3 & 4 being played on Saturday and Sunday. I think the basic point is that the league wants all of the 2nd round series to be through Game 4 by May 20. If you get all series to Game 4 by Sunday, May 20, then you can have Game 5's on May 21-22, Game 6's on May 23-24, and Game 7's on May 26-27. That ensures that all of the 2nd round series will end sometime between May 20 and May 27 and allows the Conference Finals to start on May 28-29 at the latest.

DesignatedT
05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm going to be out of the country May 24-28. Whatever helps me avoid missing home games is all I want.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I've been watching the Clips v Grizz series trying to work out who we want to see, and it has to be the Clips - they have no offense to speak of, only one true closer in Paul, their bench is much weaker than ours and they don't overwhelm us with size.

OTOH, currently watching game 6 and the Grizzlies from last year have finally awoken - Gasol and Z-Bo are dominant, Conley and Allen are super-tough perimeter defenders, the whole team looks fired up, and they have the confidence from their performance last year that they can beat us.

That being said, I think we are better than both of them as long as we stick to what's been working (Diaw starting, TP and TD leading the team, Manu, Tiago and Jax ripping up opposition benches, uncompromising 4th Q defence) and we avoid major injuries.

Thoughts?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Grizz crushing Clips by 16 early in 2nd Q. Looks like we'll have a 7-game series here unless something strange happens.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Yeah, if Randolph and Gasol get their 2011 form back, it'll be a 1-3 comeback for the Griz, unless Rudy Gay gets jealous and tries to pull a Kobe.

jhfenton
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
If Miami wraps tonight, there is nothing stopping their series with Indy from starting any time Friday or later.
Sunday at 3:30 PM, Indy at Miami.

jhfenton
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Clips/Grizz better go 7 now. Fuck noon games. Not that they're bad for the Spurs per se, but Sunday's the only day i get to sleep in :lol
I sleep in on Sunday too, sometimes as late as 7:30 a.m. :p:

crc21209
I didnt see the Clippers winning Game 5 in Memphis tonight anyway, so hopefully the Clippers win in 6....

Mugen
Can't believe it's still a debate on who the easier opponent is.

It's clearly the Clippers. The Grizz have two legit post scorers in Gasol/Zbo. The Clippers have one in Griffin who really isn't a guy who can even dominate in the post yet. Spurs' weaknesses are physical play and post scoring, both are Memphis strengths.

The Grizzlies are a better defensive team, more physical, more experienced and better coached.

I get the revenge factor but the Grizz probably think they can beat the Spurs again. I still think the Spurs win in 6 hard fought games but they probably take the Clippers out in 5.

Would rather see the Clippers and it's not even close, IMO.

timvp
That first quarter was scary. If the Grizzlies remember that Gasol and Randolph should be their go-to players, watch out.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
A key question for us is can Diaw slow Z-Bo down? I think he can. Over the past few months he's proven that, when motivated, he's a very good post defender, and he also has long arms to challenge Z-Bo's fadeaways. We can also throw an attack dog like Jax at him for short periods to change things up.

As for the bench, Splitter/Blair/Bonner will give massive headaches to Speights, who is also prone to do stupid things under pressure. I think you attack and pressure Speights any time he's on the court.

The big question this series is can TP exorcise his Conley demons? The way he is playing I think the answer is unequivocally YES! Harris used to give him fits, but clearly no longer does. I think TP will prove the same thing with Conley. This has (arguably) been the best season of ball TP has ever played, not only individually, but as a leader, and I think he's keen to prove last season's playoffs an aberration.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Can't believe it's still a debate on who the easier opponent is.

It's clearly the Clippers. The Grizz have two legit post scorers in Gasol/Zbo. The Clippers have one in Griffin who really isn't a guy who can even dominate in the post yet. Spurs' weaknesses are physical play and post scoring, both are Memphis strengths.

The Grizzlies are a better defensive team, more physical, more experienced and better coached.

I get the revenge factor but the Grizz probably think they can beat the Spurs again. I still think the Spurs win in 6 hard fought games but they probably take the Clippers out in 5.

Would rather see the Clippers and it's not even close, IMO.

The only thing that made it a question was that the Grizz have played pretty poorly in this series and their two bigs had been relatively quiet... until tonight that is. But yeah, you're spot on, we want the Clips no question.

I made a stupid error - thought this was game 6, not game 5. Hope the Clips wrap it up in game 6, because they sure aren't going to win tonight!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Clippers are atrocious tonight. Let's hope the Grizz can't win 3 straight... *gulp*

Then again, whoever we meet, if we're not good enough to beat them we don't deserve the trophy. Simple as that. But I think we are good enough to beat any team this year. We're going all the way. ;)

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
That first quarter was scary. If the Grizzlies remember that Gasol and Randolph should be their go-to players, watch out.

Rudy Gay may have a hard time remembering.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
LMAO Gasol body-blocking CP3.

Mugen
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Clippers remind me of the 2008 Phoenix Suns. Except Griffin is nowhere near the offensive player that Amare is.

You let CP3 get his and stick to their shooters. Granted, this Spurs team is not as good defensively and Tim Duncan isn't quite 08 Duncan but the Spurs are better in other areas.

Tony and Tim were huge in that series and I think they could have the same type of success against a Del Negro coached defense.

Memphis has the potential to be better than that '11 version if Rudy decides to become the ultimate role player and plays off their bigs.

crc21209
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM

That's exactly whats been happening this game. A steady diet of ugly ass Randolph and smelly ass Gasol. And why I feel the Clippers would be the easier matchup. Hopefully the Clippers close this out at home in Game 6...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 10:19 PM
The Clippers literally have no offensive game plan. Astounding. I can imagine the Clips would be pretty good if they had a real coach.

Clips could easily have it back in single figures, but they've turned it over repeatedly. So bad.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I can see the Clips losing the next two games. Their simply have no structure through which to score the ball - Grizz have finally worked this out, but why did it take them 5 games? :lol

edgar
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Grizzlie fans have no class...classles fans
-Chris Webber

edgar
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
How can you boo an injured player?

Wow that's really classless by their part.

edgar
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm sorry but this really pisses me off about fans, I hope the spurs do get the Grizzlies. I want the Grizzlies to go down with their crappy fans.

crc21209
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
The Grizzlies and their fans dont deserve shit. Cheering a guy when he goes down and then booing him when he gets up, really? Reminds me of Seattle back in 05' when Timmy sprained his ankle and he got up and the people booed him for getting back up. Bitch ass people....Fuck Memphis.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Memphis farting around like Game 1 never happened.

Mugen
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
after Blake's ridiculous flops this series, I don't blame them for booing if they think he's faking again.

DPG21920
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Go Clips! Ridiculously better match up for SA - don't care how many leads MEM blows.

Manu-20
05-09-2012, 10:59 PM
cmon clips your still in this just pull out this game.

DesignatedT
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah I've been in the pro-clipper matchup wagon as well but this game tonight just solidifies that even more. Much rather play the Clippers than this Memphis team and it's not even close at this point.

Come on Clips.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Oh, man. You know the Griz are thinking it now.

DPG21920
05-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Need some fluky Nick Young 3's to really make this interesting :lol

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Damn, Rudy.

Mugen
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
:lmao Grizzlies

crc21209
05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
:lol I love seeing the faces of those bandwagon ass people....

DesignatedT
Damn we needed that 3 by Mo.

Manu-20
dam clippers they could of had the dam lead by now grizzs are giving them this game but its just mostly one on one basketball for the clipps.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Wow, the Clippers may yet pull this one off yet........

Paranoid Pop
05-09-2012, 11:14 PM
If the Clips dont pull that one outta their asses they are very likely to go down in 7, Griffin and Paul look injured.

emanueldavidginobili
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Clippers better pull this game off, Blake isnt 100% and CP3 theres something wrong with him, it might be his groin

emanueldavidginobili
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
God damn do I hope we play the Clipps, they are all Isolations and gun threes, and have undersized guards, we can beat them in 5, if not a sweep if we play well, but were bound for a Loss

Mugen
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Coaching clinic right now.

emanueldavidginobili
05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
BOTH of these teams dont know how to play team basketball, this is ugly

Paranoid Pop
Clips are so bad, taking long 2 after long 2.

Manu-20
Pray clippers beat grizzs in 6 because they are clearly the better option for the spurs.

DesignatedT
Don't understand why the Clips have been slowly walking the ball up the court the last 5 minutes. It's not like they are getting good shots by doing it.

crc21209
05-09-2012, 11:21 PM
After watching the Clippers come back yet again I think they have to be thinking in their minds "We can take this series in 6 back home."

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
We should feel pretty good right now because it's abundantly clear that neither the Clips nor the Grizz have a clue what they're doing. Clips seem to rely on the vain hope that CP3 or Mo gets hot, have no other offensive plan to speak of, while the Grizz slaughtered the Clips in the first half with a steady diet of Gasol and Z-Bo yet neither has seen the ball in the second half.

Both of these teams are clueless when it comes to executing a game plan. Good news! :D

crc21209
05-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Damn. Paul did aggravate his groin injury. Hopefully he's good to go for Game 6...

emanueldavidginobili
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
We should feel pretty good right now because it's abundantly clear that neither the Clips nor the Grizz have a clue what they're doing. Clips seem to rely on the vain hope that CP3 or Mo gets hot, have no other offensive plan to speak of, while the Grizz slaughtered the Clips in the first half with a steady diet of Gasol and Z-Bo yet neither has seen the ball in the second half.

Both of these teams are clueless when it comes to executing a game plan. Good news! :D

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Griz were three plays away from sweeping this series, instead they now have to hope that Griffin and Paul are hobbled.

timvp
05-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Grizz look great in the first quarter. The rest of the game they look horrible.

And I remain confused on which team is easier. Usually, you want to avoid the best player -- which would be CP3 -- but this is more complex. In one sense, the Clippers might be the better matchup because I think the Grizzlies are the better overall team ... but then I imagine CP3 running Duncan through 242790 pick-and-rolls and Neal (and somewhat Manu, too) struggling to defend their smaller, quicker guards.

Remain unsure, tbh.

DesignatedT
05-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Game 6 should be pretty epic. Winner takes the series and the Clippers know it.

timtonymanu
05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
For the sake of starting our series on time, I hope the Clippers seal it next game.

Hopefully Paul and Griffin are okay for Game 6.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Usually, I'm a believer in the Avoid the Truly Great Player philosophy. In this case, though, Vinny essentially negates that. The Clips are easily the path of least resistance.

However, I'm also a sucker for the temptation of Revenge.

roycrikside
05-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Grizz look great in the first quarter. The rest of the game they look horrible.

And I remain confused on which team is easier. Usually, you want to avoid the best player -- which would be CP3 -- but this is more complex. In one sense, the Clippers might be the better matchup because I think the Grizzlies are the better overall team ... but then I imagine CP3 running Duncan through 242790 pick-and-rolls and Neal (and somewhat Manu, too) struggling to defend their smaller, quicker guards.

Remain unsure, tbh.

I know Paul is a monster on the pick-and-roll, and his flopping will lead to like 50 FTs every 4th quarter, but I still think the Clips are a better match-up for us.

1) They've got no defensive answer for Tony or Manu.
2) Less size to throw at Timmy, since they hardly ever play Jordan anymore
3) Saves Duncan wear and tear because there's no low-post scoring threat for him to guard
4) The only time we played them with a healthy Tony and Manu we beat them easily
5) If we ever get down we can just foul Evans and Griffin on purpose.

I think the Grizz have more defensive answers for us, way more size, and are more committed to scoring in the paint.

HarlemHo 37
05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Don't look now, but the Spurs might get a primetime slot if The Clips/Grizz series wraps up Friday. Game 7 is slated for 1:00 on ABC. Although, I'm sure they'll probably switch the Spurs game with Boston vs Philly/Chicago if the Clips/Grizz series ends early.

DAF86
05-09-2012, 11:55 PM
The injuries sealed it. I'm rooting for the Clippers friday night.

DesignatedT
If series wraps up Friday then game 1 of 2nd round is Sunday at Noon.

Legacy
:lmao Forced to a 6th round blood bath. Again--serve it up. SERVE.IT.UP. :cooldevil

DesignatedT
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
http://ryanohanlon.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/excited-grizzlies-kid.gif

timvp
05-10-2012, 12:25 AM
I know Paul is a monster on the pick-and-roll, and his flopping will lead to like 50 FTs every 4th quarter, but I still think the Clips are a better match-up for us.

1) They've got no defensive answer for Tony or Manu.
2) Less size to throw at Timmy, since they hardly ever play Jordan anymore
3) Saves Duncan wear and tear because there's no low-post scoring threat for him to guard
4) The only time we played them with a healthy Tony and Manu we beat them easily
5) If we ever get down we can just foul Evans and Griffin on purpose.

I think the Grizz have more defensive answers for us, way more size, and are more committed to scoring in the paint.

All good points. To play devil's advocate:

1) As long as CP3 has the ball, the Clippers are at least halfway competent offensively. Do the Grizzlies even have a game plan to score the ball? Randolph is like 75% of what he was last year and has shown he can't carry them right now. Gasol is really good but he's not a dominant scorer. Same with Conley. Gay and Mayo can get hot but they're both always on the verge of shooting Memphis out of games. The Grizzlies were horrible offensively during the regular season and haven't exactly lit up the Clippers. So, yeah, even if (and it's a big If due to the chuckers) the Grizzlies play inside-out, their inside isn't nearly as effective as it was last year.

2) Utah was the perfect warmup for the Grizzlies. Statistically, they're almost identical. Both teams live on the offensive glass and depend on getting to the free throw line. Both teams can't shoot (the Jazz actually shot a little bit better). The difference is the Grizzlies force a lot of turnovers so their defensive numbers are better. But the Spurs are elite at taking care of the ball, elite at defensive rebounding and elite at not fouling ... that's like the perfect storm of eliteness to counteract Memphis' strengths.

3) The Spurs last year were almost entirely Ginobili centric. Once he hurt his arm, they were dead in the water. So I don't even really think back to last year's playoffs as being indicative of anything. Without a healthy Manu, last year's team probably doesn't even make the playoffs ... so the fact they lost in the playoffs isn't surprising. I know it's natural to worry about the Grizzlies due to what happened last year but I honestly feel it's irrelevant. If anything, it'll give the Spurs extra motivation not to overlook them and give the Spurs crowd incentive to cheer from the get-go.

4) The Grizzlies bench is basically just OJ Mayo. Pondexter, Speights, Cunningham, Arenas ... those guys probably don't even make the Spurs roster, tbh. With depth being a big advantage for the Spurs, going 10 against 6 sounds pretty tempting. The Clippers actually have five players off the bench that are legit NBA players (Bledsoe, Williams, Young, Evans, Martin).

5) Coming down the stretch of a close game, who do you fear more: CP3 or a hobbled-Randolph/chucking-Gay?

I know it sounds crazy -- especially because I admit Memphis is the better team -- but I think I think the Grizzlies are the easier matchup. The Spurs are strong where the Grizzlies usually excel and they can also exploit their weaknesses.

TE
05-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Revenge will be sweet.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-10-2012, 12:34 AM
i think this series is going 7 with paul re injuring his groin the floppers are screwed

J.T.
05-10-2012, 12:34 AM
At the risk of sounding like GNSF. . .

Spurs probably sweep either of these teams to be honest. But I want Memphis. Blow them out of the AT&T, pull a trick out of Phil Jackson's playbook and fuck up their plane so they're jetlagged in Game 3. It's the perfect recipe for a sweep. If the Spurs win the NBA title this year I want to be won exorcising last year. Plus I didn't get to watch the playoffs last year so Grizzly fan cannot troll me on what I did not see.

TampaDude
05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
No worries...we'll crush either team.

Splits
05-10-2012, 01:08 AM
http://ryanohanlon.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/excited-grizzlies-kid.gif

I hope they don't give out tacos if the Grizz score 100. Mix in some greens, kid.

alfredbird
05-10-2012, 02:38 AM
anyone have any idea when will be the second game of 2nd round if Clippers closeout in Game 6?

Kamnik
05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Gay is killing the Grizzlies... Whenever he tries to play the "franchise player" things go south for the Grizz as the ball movement stops.

Legacy
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Heh, pretty much sums up this whole series so far. LULZ.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1058543/Animation4.gif