PDA

View Full Version : Chimpanzees 'hunt using spears'

tlongII
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6387611.stm

Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates, according to a study in the journal Current Biology.
Researchers documented 22 cases of chimps fashioning tools to jab at smaller primates sheltering in cavities of hollow branches or tree trunks.

The report's authors, Jill Pruetz and Paco Bertolani, said the finding could have implications for human evolution.

Chimps had not been previously observed hunting other animals with tools.
Pruetz and Bertolani made the discovery at their research site in Fongoli, Senegal, between March 2005 and July 2006.

"There were hints that this behaviour might occur, but it was one time at a different site," said Jill Pruetz, assistant professor of anthropology at Iowa State University, US.

"While in Senegal for the spring semester, I saw about 13 different hunting bouts. So it really is habitual."

Jabbing weapon

Chimpanzees were observed jabbing the spears into hollow trunks or branches, over and over again. After the chimp removed the tool, it would frequently smell or lick it.

In the vast majority of cases, the chimps used the tools in the manner of a spear, not as probes. The researchers say they were using enough force to injure an animal that may have been hiding inside.

However, they did not photograph the behaviour, or capture it on film.

In one case, Pruetz and Bertolani, from the Leverhulme Centre for Human Evolutionary Studies in Cambridge, UK, witnessed a chimpanzee extract a bushbaby with a spear.
In most cases, the Fongoli chimpanzees carried out four or more steps to manufacture spears for hunting.

In all but one of the cases, chimps broke off a living branch to make their tool. They would then trim the side branches and leaves.

In a number of cases, chimps also trimmed the ends of the branch and stripped it of bark. Some chimps also sharpened the tip of the tool with their teeth.

Female lead

Adult males have long been regarded as the hunters in chimp groups.

But the authors of the paper in Current Biology said females, particularly adolescent females, and young chimps in general were seen exhibiting this behaviour more frequently than adult males.

"It's classic in primates that when there is a new innovation, particularly in terms of tool use, the younger generations pick it up very quickly. The last ones to pick up are adults, mainly the males," said Dr Pruetz, who led the National Geographic Society-funded project.

This is because young chimps pick the skill up from their mothers, with whom they spend a lot of their time.

"It's a niche that males seem to ignore," Dr Pruetz told BBC News.

Many areas where chimpanzees live are also home to the red colobus monkey, which the chimps hunt. However, the Senegal site is lacking in this species, so chimps may have needed to adopt a new hunting strategy to catch a different prey - bushbaby.

The authors conclude that their findings support a theory that females may have played a similarly important role in the evolution of tool technology among early humans.

BlackSwordsMan
05-08-2012, 12:42 PM
when they figure out gun powder we're fucked

Jimmy
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
They are evolving.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_aliens/alien_watchers06_01.jpg

2pac > Kobe
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
fuck

Creepn
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
However, they did not photograph the behaviour, or capture it on film.

Stupid. I would've liked to see it.

Anyway, soooo since we supposedly evolved from monkeys, the process starts over again? A never-ending cycle of monkeys turning human?

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
were they wild monkeys or monkeys exposed to humans mimicking?

z0sa
05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Interesting how chimps are mirroring humans in a lot of ways. For example, passing down knowledge (use of tools), the evolution of that knowledge as it is applied by the population towards their environment (using tools as weapons), and the hesitation to change and use these tools in the older male population despite their effectiveness.

JJ Hickson
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM

You can see similar videos on worldstarhiphop

David Duke
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM

:lmao:lmao

Next think you know they'll be dunking basketballs.

Will Hunting
05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
:lmao

lefty
05-08-2012, 05:59 PM
On February 28, 2007 the parliament of the Balearic Islands, an autonomous province of Spain, passed the world's first legislation that would effectively grant legal personhood rights to all great apes.

Source : Wikipedia

Venti Quattro
05-08-2012, 06:02 PM

:lmao:lmao

Next think you know they'll be dunking basketballs.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

mouse
05-08-2012, 07:46 PM
They could have a Chimpanzee creating a Facebook page and it wouldn't make a difference in Facts vs Fiction

IWantsACuatro
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
22 different times and no photograph or video evidence?

I call bullshit.

IWantsACuatro
05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
So they weren't really hunting, just jabbing a stick into a tree.

Shits been going on for years. Probably looking for termites or any food at all. Not hunting parties.

Study done 30+ years ago:
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2801563?uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21100783387381

IWantsACuatro
05-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Anyway, soooo since we supposedly evolved from monkeys, the process starts over again? A never-ending cycle of monkeys turning human?

We evolved from a common mammalian ancestor. Not monkeys.

BRHornet45
05-08-2012, 10:44 PM

GhxqIITtTtU

BlairForceDejuan
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Told ya'll the Gorilla would fuk up that grizzly bear.

IWantsACuatro
05-08-2012, 11:16 PM
GhxqIITtTtU

tlongII
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
We evolved from a common mammalian ancestor. Not monkeys.

We evolved from ape-like creatures. Basically monkeys.

IWantsACuatro
05-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Making that basic connection has alot social/political of implications. Look at Mouse.

CubanSucks
05-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I already knew this shit from Dude Where's My car. Remember the "chimpanzees often use sticks as crude tools" scene? Classic

Told ya'll the Gorilla would fuk up that grizzly bear.

Obviously this is all bogus, unless you consider "hunting using spears" poking at bugs with sticks, but even if a gorilla really would know how to use a spear I'd still take the grizzly

Spurtacus
05-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Fuck you James Franco

mouse
05-09-2012, 01:55 AM

You seem proud of that unproven therory.

cheguevara
05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
we already had one as president:

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/K/1/bush_chimps2.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
05-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Or when they figure how to post on a sports team's message board.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I've seen birds use rocks to crack open eggs on NatGeo.

Shastafarian
05-09-2012, 09:56 AM

Apes are not monkeys. Chimps are apes. Our closest common ancestor with Chimps was an ape. "We" diverged from monkeys millions of years before that.

tlongII
05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
You seem proud of that unproven therory.

You seem upset by that overwhelmingly factually supported theory.

Leetonidas
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM

We didn't evolve from monkeys you retard :lol well, maybe you did :lmao

mouse
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
You seem upset by that overwhelmingly factually supported theory.

First off people who insist they evolved from an animal don't upset me in fact
I find them amusing if they only knew how ignorant they make themselves look when they support such foolish theories.

And second, Evolution was a "Theory" last time I checked unless you discovered some new "Evidence" I'm not aware of?

Please share!

z0sa
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I've seen birds use rocks to crack open eggs on NatGeo.

I remember reading there's a significant minority of scientists who consider birds, particularly crows, the smartest non-human animals. But they consider them to have a somewhat collective intelligence.

CubanSucks
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
we already had one as president:

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/K/1/bush_chimps2.jpg

:lol Taking a joke straight out of 2004 :tu It's funnier now cause the current pres looks far more like a chimp. I wonder why all these "edgy" political satirists don't like pointing that out...

lol guevara
lol murdering marxist
lol t-shirt activists hero

Creepn
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Apes are not monkeys. Chimps are apes. Our closest common ancestor with Chimps was an ape. "We" diverged from monkeys millions of years before that.

Soooo basically "we" started off as monkeys before the split?

Creepn
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
:lol Taking a joke straight out of 2004 :tu It's funnier now cause the current pres looks far more like a chimp. I wonder why all these "edgy" political satirists don't like pointing that out...

lol guevara
lol murdering marxist

I have to disagree. Show me some comparison pictures.

CubanSucks
05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I have to disagree. Show me some comparison pictures.

Maybe mouse could oblige.

Shastafarian
05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Soooo basically "we" started off as monkeys before the split?

I guess you could say our ancestral lineage includes an animal like a monkey yes. Do you understand the concept of evolution?

mouse
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
I guess you could say our ancestral lineage includes an animal like a monkey yes. Do you understand the concept of evolution?

Pssssst! It's a theory

Creepn
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I guess you could say our ancestral lineage includes an animal like a monkey yes.

We didn't evolve from monkeys you retard :lol well, maybe you did :lmao

HA HA! BOOYA Muthafuckeeeeeerr. Technically there was nothing wrong with what I said.

Shastafarian
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
HA HA! BOOYA Muthafuckeeeeeerr. Technically there was nothing wrong with what I said.

Aside from "supposedly"

Leetonidas
05-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Yeah there was, because we didn't "supposedly evolve from monkeys." If we did there wouldn't still be monkeys running around

Creepn
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah there was, because we didn't "supposedly evolve from monkeys." If we did there wouldn't still be monkeys running around

Well thanks for taking back your lame insult that I evolved from a monkey, appreciate it. :tu

Creepn
05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Aside from "supposedly"

Yes yes, I assumed that's a given.

IWantsACuatro
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm certain the proper nomenclature is that "we evolved from a common ancestor with shared primate traits."

Slydragon
05-09-2012, 10:49 PM

:rollin

DMC
05-10-2012, 12:16 AM
I came from my mom's monkey.

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM

lol guevara
lol murdering marxist
Barack really doesn't like THAT much like a monkey. His wife on the other hand...
http://www.theawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/michelle-gifff.gif

Viva Las Espuelas
05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
:lmao ouch
Nah, she doesn't remind me of a chimp but she certainly reminds me of a piranha with that grill of hers. Which ties in to my feelings that she doesn't look like a pleasant person to be around. Her plasticity is very apparent to me.

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 09:46 AM
She seemed like a much more genuine, real person before Obama got elected. Since she became first lady I agree she's turned into a completely plastic, repulsive person. For all the shit Palin/Cindy McCain got for their expensive campaign wardrobe when our economy was crashing, she now dresses the same way they did.

CubanSucks
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
:lmao ouch
Nah, she doesn't remind me of a chimp but she certainly reminds me of a piranha with that grill of hers. Which ties in to my feelings that she doesn't look like a pleasant person to be around. Her plasticity is very apparent to me.

I thought I was the only person who thought she resembles a piranha. No joke. I guess it's the mouth like you said, but I think it's more than that, I just can't pinpoint it