PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: "If you say the Spurs are boring, you don't watch basketball/you're a dope"

jestersmash
05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Couple of media gems from ESPN today.

To start, I suggest everyone watch Tim Legler break down a couple of Spurs' plays in Game 4: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7904144

(Legler's video is referenced in the following podcast).

Next, check out Russillo's latest NBA Today podcast (5/8/12) and scroll over to around the 18:30-18:45 mark where Russillo starts talking about the Spurs -

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=3634017

TampaDude
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks! :toast

Solid D
05-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I believe the ideal situation for the Spurs would be to make it through to the Finals and match up with Miami. That will be a very difficult task to accomplish but if they do...the NBA should still benefit and viewership of even casual fans can be maintained. LeBron and Wade and Bosh on stage. "Not one, not two, not three..." needs to start one of these years soon. 'Right? The casual fan will view first-hand that the Spurs actually aren't so boring like they have been parroting to their friends.

Miami's star-powered team with the Darth Vader image playing great defense...
vs....
San Antonio's balanced arsenal with tremendous firepower 11-deep.

Good money can be made and interest gained regardless of the motive - people watching to see a certain team win or a certain team lose.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-08-2012, 06:40 PM
We might not beat the Heat, but would love to see the Spurs in that situation.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I can see a spurs heat finals being a classic "passing of the torch", where the heat finally get their first ring from the previously finals-undefeated spurs

Solid D
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
By the way...Josh Hamilton is on fire right now. 3 HRs in a row (1 last night, 2 today so far).

Keepin' it real
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Podcast? I thought podcasts were obsolete, like VCRs.

On topic, thanks for the links.

weebo
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I can see a spurs heat finals being a classic "passing of the torch", where the heat finally get their first ring from the previously finals-undefeated spurs

The Heat are a three man team the Spurs go 12 deep. It would be a great series none the less but I still feel the Spurs have the advantage because at any given moment the Spurs have up to 10 players that can get hot during any stretch of the game. The Heat on the other hand have their "Big three" to get them going and not much else.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
If Green and Leonard played out of their mind defense I like our chances. Tim would need to be abusing down low. If that happens we could win in 5 or 6. More likely it goes 7 and who knows.

But I'm ready to focus on the next round first and see what happens.

Spurminator
05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
ESPN wouldn't have to say things like this if their personalities hadn't lazily perpetuated that talking point for the last 13 years.

GSH
05-08-2012, 07:22 PM
ESPN wouldn't have to say things like this if their personalities hadn't lazily perpetuated that talking point for the last 13 years.

:tu

Short, to the point, and dead accurate.

Budkin
05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
At least they are trying to spread the word now.

lefty
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Bandwagon !

Man In Black
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Looks like they have loosened the reigns on the selective mutism.
Always late to the party especially when it comes to our Spurs.

Solid D
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Not far off at all. :tu

By the way...Josh Hamilton is on fire right now. 3 HRs in a row (1 last night, 2 today so far).

Update: 4 HRs in past 5 at bats (the non-HR was a double that hit the warning track in RCF)

Solid D
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Update: 5 HRs in past 6 at bats!!!

007nites
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Say we sweep Miami in the finals do you guys think we still won't garner any attention from the media or fans?

jimo2305
05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
legler, van pelt and rusillo are always on point though.. it's espn radio.. not sportscenter / nba on tnt hype machine blabbity blah..

i was listening live when they were talkin' about the spurs.. wasn't surprising and i didn't expect there'd be a thread here about it though

TJastal
05-08-2012, 11:17 PM

If it's a spurs-heat finals, I see no torch being passed. More like Lebrick choking again, Wade sprawled on the floor at least once like a baby pretending his eyeball was just gouged out, and Chrissy getting her shit shoved down her throat by Duncan, Splitter, & Diaw.

BlairForceDejuan
05-08-2012, 11:20 PM
hell musta just frozen over for bpsn to utter such words

SA210
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM

Pass the torch? To Lebron? F THAT! If the Spurs make it to the Finals and face the Heat, I hope they wipe the floor with them and leave no doubt whatsoever that team ball and no drama is better than those drama queens, period.

DrSteffo
05-09-2012, 12:35 AM
It would be some interesting finals, "young" vs "old". The media and the kids would root for the divas and the good, old school fans would root for he Spurs.

sexinthatsx
05-09-2012, 02:02 AM
all I know is that:

TP > Chalmers
Manu = Wade (given his injuries this season)
Danny Green / Kawhi Leonard < LBJ
Duncan > Bosh (Bosh can't fight on low-post)
Splitter > Joel Anthony

Spurs Bench >>>>>>>>> Heat Bench

I like our chances

Spurtacus
05-09-2012, 02:08 AM
all I know is that:

TP > Chalmers
Splitter > Joel Anthony

I like our chances

LeBron really makes up for their lack of bench. You forgot to mention Haslem, but I think him and Diaw are a wash.

rascal
05-09-2012, 04:40 AM
all I know is that:

TP > Chalmers
Splitter > Joel Anthony

I like our chances

Have you watched how manu has been playing?

Manu is not equal to Wade.
Not even close.

Texas_Ranger
05-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Wade and LeBron are better than any of our guys, but we could limit Bosth to something like 10-15 points what would give us pretty good chance. But c'mon it's not even the start of the second round so don't really want to talk about that yet.

buttsR4rebounding
05-09-2012, 05:49 AM
They key to a series with the Heat is to limit their fast break points. If you get them into a half court offense they are very ordinary. They will not be able to keep up with the Spurs' offense. I think with the addition of SJax the Spurs have numerous wing defenders to throw at LeBron that all can score as well.

therealtruth
05-09-2012, 05:58 AM
LeBron really makes up for their lack of bench. You forgot to mention Haslem, but I think him and Diaw are a wash.

I am hoping for Spoelstra to have burned out Lebron by the time they reach the Finals like last year.

Richie
05-09-2012, 06:13 AM
The scariest match up with the Heat is if they go with a big line up with Lebron at the point. Then they can play

Lebron
Wade
Battier/Miller
Bosh
Haslem

and Tony can't guard any of them. I like our chances of limiting Lebron/Wade to getting their 30+ points inefficiently (which is really all we can hope for) with Green, SJax and Kawhi playing hard defence, but I don't see how we can hide Tony for 36m/game against a big lineup.

Anyway, problems for a different day. Lets get past the 2nd round first

freetiago
05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
if they went with that lineup you hide tony in the corner on battier/miller
if they want to post up parker then let them
i know battier had some sucess on george hill last season but i doubt it happens this year
the whole memphis team just had a lot of lucky bounces and played above their level
battier this year is underwhelming and their 3 point shooting is gone with that lineup
theyre left with bosh/wade/james from midrange
you could send tiago to double battier if it came to that and leave haslem open and force him to beat the team

if it happens though the results would probably be more redd vs joseph esque then battier vs hill last year
posting up isnt battiers game
and then wed have the tiago/tim over haslem whos like 6'7 and soft christina bosh

SpurinDallas
05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
all I know is that:

TP > Chalmers
Splitter > Joel Anthony

I like our chances

Probably the most important factor...

Pop >>>>>>>>>>> Spoelstra

cheguevara
05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
heat are struggling mightly vs. a depleted Knicks team. seriously?

coyotes_geek
05-09-2012, 09:21 AM
all I know is that:

TP > Chalmers
Splitter > Joel Anthony

I like our chances

Love Manu, but no.

Rummpd
05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Wade and LeBron are better than any of our guys, but we could limit Bosth to something like 10-15 points what would give us pretty good chance. But c'mon it's not even the start of the second round so don't really want to talk about that yet.

Wade this year is not outplaying Parker and a healthy and potentially Ginobili is the wild card - several years his PER has been higher than Wade. Spurs deeper all around and will also have the rare size advantage. Miami does not match up as well all around as LAL or the Thunder with the Spurs. Limit James to a great but not other wordly series (and Jackson is a great pick up for that along with Kawhi) and Spurs win.

100%duncan
05-09-2012, 09:36 AM

We gon' be tapping det Heat's ass, CBF.

Pocket Hippo
05-09-2012, 10:32 AM
They key to a series with the Heat is to limit their fast break points. If you get them into a half court offense they are very ordinary. They will not be able to keep up with the Spurs' offense. I think with the addition of SJax the Spurs have numerous wing defenders to throw at LeBron that all can score as well.

I agree. :toast
Just the eyeball test shows the Spurs are playing far better than any other team right now, I can't see a team that can beat us four times at the moment. I also want to see the Heat play a good team before I sign off on their "killer" defense, the Knicks do not qualify.

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
The ability/reliance of James and Wade to play strong and willing defense might be the Heat's undoing, because they are also largely responsible for putting up points as well.

Their team defense is predicated on athleticism, so in this compressed season, the fatigue factor is amplified.

Will those two have enough juice to play at a high level on both ends of the court by the time it gets to the finals?

Keepin' it real
05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
The Spurs don't even know who they're playing in the 2nd round, and you're already talking and disagreeing about match-ups in the Finals? What a bunch of morons. Seriously, this goes to each of you:

http://bostonbiker.org/files/2010/01/complete_moron.jpg

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Have you watched how manu has been playing?

Manu is not equal to Wade.
Not even close.

This is true.

Having a very deep team is a huge advantage though and naturally the Spurs don't rely too much on one single player. 2 of the big 3 can have off nights and the Spurs still can handle teams easily, and that is not something anyone would've expected from this season before it started.

Spur|n|Austin
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
People are way too ahead of themselves here.. I like our chances as much as the next spurs fan, but I'll be cliche and say one series at a time..

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
People are way too ahead of themselves here.. I like our chances as much as the next spurs fan, but I'll be cliche and say one series at a time..

:tu

sehui
05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
To anyone thinking Manu is better than Wade is such a dumbass homer.

Never has Manu been better than Wade, even in both of their primes.

It has always been irrefutably ranked as 1. Kobe, 2. D-Wade , and 3. Arguably Manu, after T-Mac's demise

GinobiliForTres
05-09-2012, 02:02 PM

It has always been irrefutably ranked as 1. Kobe, 2. D-Wade , and 3. Arguably Manu, after T-Mac's demise

That's sure as hell how I've always ranked em. Manu's had some good games against Wade but even I know Wade is better overall.

anonoftheinternets
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Apparently the spurs are still boring:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/25796/spurs-jazz-four-things-you-missed

tesseractive
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Apparently the spurs are still boring:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/25796/spurs-jazz-four-things-you-missed

Game 2 had about as much drama as your average Bobcats game. The Spurs ran away with it. Fun if you're a Spurs fan, but not exactly gripping viewing for anyone else.

anonoftheinternets
05-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Game 2 had about as much drama as your average Bobcats game. The Spurs ran away with it. Fun if you're a Spurs fan, but not exactly gripping viewing for anyone else.

well then the premise is the spurs are crushing the jazz, and so it's boring. Not that spurs bball is boring, and parker and ginobili are boring except they are foreign etc etc.. per the usual ...

z0sa
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
espn wouldn't have to say things like this if their personalities hadn't lazily perpetuated that talking point for the last 13 years.

+1

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
would likek to see the spurs sweep the heat, stern should get on board to punish these wankers for creating the super friends team

Obstructed_View
05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
:lol that a basketball writer didn't know the origin of Mike Fratello's nickname.

timtonymanurich
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM

I'll bet there are 3 LOB trophies to D-Wade's SOLO that will HAPPILY disagree with you...

Manu's LOBS = :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Wades LOB = :lobt:

Jus' sayin.

roycrikside
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM

While in the big picture sense Manu is not anywhere near Wade's equal, historically he's always done well against him in general and the Heat in particular. He's fared pretty well against LeBron over the years too.

The match-ups with Kobe haven't gone as well for Manu, mainly because the Lakers have always had a lot of size to throw at him.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
The Spurs don't even know who they're playing in the 2nd round, and you're already talking and disagreeing about match-ups in the Finals? What a bunch of morons. Seriously, this goes to each of you:

We're fans, not players or coaches. Why does it matter what team matchups we discuss on this message board? We're not going to have an effect on the actual outcome of the Spurs' games, so there's no reason not to discuss such things - we could discuss who would win the 2025 NBA Finals, for that matter.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Let's go Knicks!

Solid D
05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
We're fans, not players or coaches. Why does it matter what team matchups we discuss on this message board? We're not going to have an effect on the actual outcome of the Spurs' games, so there's no reason not to discuss such things - we could discuss who would win the 2025 NBA Finals, for that matter.

http://peoplelaughing.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/friends-laughing.jpg

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I'll bet there are 3 LOB trophies to D-Wade's SOLO that will HAPPILY disagree with you...

Manu's LOBS = :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Wades LOB = :lobt:

Jus' sayin.

To be fair, this is akin to cherry-picking. Fabricio Oberto has a championship ring while LeBron James does not, but does that mean that Oberto was a better player than LeBron?

pgardn
05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Its a victory for team basketball and the NBA if the Spurs win. I get so tired of the iso, watching Lebron or Kobe making about one hundred jab steps and ball fakes, and then taking a very tough shot or finally making a pass.

But the kiddos do like it so what do I know... you can get an incredible dunk or an impossible fade away jumper. Hell a wide open player making a layup because of great ball movement cant be that interesting. Watching every guy touch the ball on a possession is blasphemy apparently.

SenorSpur
05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Couple of media gems from ESPN today.

To start, I suggest everyone watch Tim Legler break down a couple of Spurs' plays in Game 4: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7904144

(Legler's video is referenced in the following podcast).

Next, check out Russillo's latest NBA Today podcast (5/8/12) and scroll over to around the 18:30-18:45 mark where Russillo starts talking about the Spurs -

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=3634017

Great stuff!

Thanks for posting!