PDA

View Full Version : What's up with ABC's coverage of the Finals?

Spurz Girlz
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Specifically, what's up Al Michael's and Hubie Brown's ass? Why don't they just put on a Pistons cheerleader uniform, grab some pom poms and go for it? I am sick to death of hearing them make excuses for Detroit everytime they mess up (which wasn't much last night). Whenever the Spurs make a brilliant play, they chalk it up to luck. I'm more than sick of hearing Hubie Brown speculate on how the Pistons can "get back in this thing" whenever it appears his precious team is on the verge of collapse. Why is it the Spurs never get the national credit they so richly deserve??? (Last night's showing and the "Blow Out" being exceptions). Can someone explain this to me?
GO SPURS GO!!!!

pache100
06-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Specifically, what's up Al Michael's and Hubie Brown's ass? Why don't they just put on a Pistons cheerleader uniform, grab some pom poms and go for it? I am sick to death of hearing them make excuses for Detroit everytime they mess up (which wasn't much last night). Whenever the Spurs make a brilliant play, they chalk it up to luck. I'm more than sick of hearing Hubie Brown speculate on how the Pistons can "get back in this thing" whenever it appears his precious team is on the verge of collapse. Why is it the Spurs never get the national credit they so richly deserve??? (Last night's showing and the "Blow Out" being exceptions). Can someone explain this to me?
GO SPURS GO!!!!

Well said! I cannot stand the bias of those smarmy, mealy-mouthed announcers. Every word out of Al Michaels' mouth last night let you know he wanted the Pistons to win. And Hubie Brown is a mediocre coach. As a commentator, he SUCKS. (why does he have to stick his face up in the camera? why does he have to scream? does he think we can't see and hear him? why does Al Michaels talk like he's at a golf tournament all the time? I swear, you have to turn up the tv to hear him, and then Hubie blasts you out of the living room!)

Hook Dem
06-22-2005, 01:20 PM
It will be sweet when they have to eat those words!!!!!!!

Sasha
06-22-2005, 01:20 PM
GO SPURS GO!!!!

In fact, it seems like the only time they even mention the Spurs is if they're playing badly. Otherwise, the Pistons are apparently playing themselves.

We turn the sound off or turn on WOAI and put up with the delay. Don't know what else to do.

modeleste
06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
It is just that with Miami out they don't have much to talk about :-)

(the cheerleading for Shaq/Wade was pretty amazing)

T Park
06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Hubie Brown does lean twords to the Pistons a little, but alot of what he says is right.

pache100
06-22-2005, 01:24 PM
We turn the sound off or turn on WOAI and put up with the delay. Don't know what else to do.

I tried that, because I'd ten times rather listen to Sean and Bill...but I could not deal with the delay. Too annoying.

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I kind of like Hubie and his comments.

"So, you're ___ and you want to keep _____ out of the painted/low block/three point area...":lol

Sasha
06-22-2005, 01:28 PM
I tried that, because I'd ten times rather listen to Sean and Bill...but I could not deal with the delay. Too annoying.

I know what you mean. That just goes to show you how bad we think ABC coverage is - we'll put up with it!

pache100
06-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Hubie Brown does lean twords to the Pistons a little, but alot of what he says is right.

Commentators on a national network sports broadcast just should not be allowed to show bias. Period. If they cannot do the job without showing bias, get someone in there who can. They should be totally neutral or move on down the road. No other national commentators (news, weather, etc.) are permitted to show bias. It should apply to sports, too. ABC should know better, but they have been doing mediocre to poor sports broadcasting for about 20 years now. The glory days of "The Wide World of Sports", when they were in their heyday, are long gone.

NoMoneyDown
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm more upset with the time. Showing a Finals game at 8:00pm on a Sunday? Is this what we went through with New Jersey in '03?

wsdp
06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Specifically, what's up Al Michael's and Hubie Brown's ass? Why don't they just put on a Pistons cheerleader uniform, grab some pom poms and go for it?

To say Al Michaels is a Pistons fan is laughable... did you watch games 1 and 2 in LA last year? Did you watch games 1 and 2 in S.A. (if you weren't at the game) this year? When the Pistons are underdogs (which they were until coming home in games 3-5 last year and this year), Al dogged them to hell.

Al doesn't know basketball for <bleep> ... the fact that he's giving the Pistons props since they've outplayed the Spurs the last 4-games confirms he's nothing more than a front running TV talent whose trying to stay "hip" with national media's perspective of series...

Don't lose sleep over Al and give credit to Hubie's who has truly called it like he's seen it all series (remember his constant drubbing of Pistons for missing all those shots inside 3-feet during game 2? - again, assuming you weren't at game and watched TV feed)...

Spurz Girlz
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah....when they do the Hubie Brown close up shots, I have to put my hand in front of my face - Dude...go see a dentist! Can't deal with the delay off WOAI. We tried that once and it sux. Would MUCH rather hear Sean and Bill call the shots. Maybe the announcers are just trying to make it "interesting" for the passive fan. I know the advertisers are going to get all their money for 7 games' worth of ad bucks...so now everyone is happy. I agree the Pistons played brilliantly last night and give them all the credit they deserve. They outplayed us flat out. But for the "commentary" to be so blatently partisan to one side just irks the hell out of me. Can't wait to hear Sean Elliott's reassuring voice again next season.

Hanging on for the ride. GO SPURS GO.