PDA

View Full Version : Say if we face the Clippers how does this series matchup?

007nites
05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I think we can contain Griffin to a certain degree. The problem will be Chris Paul and the rest LA's shooters (especially Mo Williams). Perimeter defense and rebounding will be key in this series. Other than Blake the Clipps won't be coming into the paint much. We might have to put Leonard and Green on Paul for extended periods. If Timmy plays physically vs Blake I believe he can get Blake into some foul trouble.

spursfan1000
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Our main focus has to be containing cp3, if we do that it's a done deal. griffin wont be much of a threat, Diaw and Duncan will harass him in the paint.

spursfan1000
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Our main focus has to be containing cp3, if we do that it's a done deal. griffin wont be much of a threat, Diaw and Duncan will harass him in the paint.

tlongII
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Spurs in 5. Much better matchup for them than the Grizz.

maverick1948
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Stick with what we do best. That means going with what has worked. Our defense on Paul and Williams are the keys to the game. Bounced them by 25, with manu coming back we won in OT and without Parker we lost. With our whole team healthy, we should have no problem in winning 4 of 5 or 6.

007nites
05-08-2012, 09:24 PM

Also, you have Mo Williams, Randy Foye (Who lit us up once). Whoever is defending Mo Williams can't afford to provide help defense for someone else. I can just imagine the Clippers now going on a 12-0 run with Williams hitting like 4 threes in a row in transition.

Bill_Brasky
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Paul worries me. He even flops on the refs.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1106098/paulf.gif

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
If the Spurs can effectively defend against Griffin and Paul, it'll be Spurs in 5 games.

tesseractive
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
If the Spurs can effectively defend against Griffin and Paul, it'll be Spurs in 5 games.

But that's the question, isn't it? I mean, if the Spurs can shut down LeBron and Wade, we can sweep Miami.

T Park
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Id love to see Kawhi Leonard on CP3 for some stretches.

Yuixafun
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Why not let Chris Paul be a heavy score like we used to let Amare go off when we faced the Suns?

The rest of the team will get frustrated and disinterested.

You aren't gonna contain him enough effectively, just make his impact on the game less by making him a scorer.

Ditty
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Spurs in 5. Much better matchup for them than the Grizz.

+1

There you go tlong :wow

though the Spurs would beat Memphis in 6 games.

Dunc n Dave
05-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Parker, Manu, and Neal need to stay as far away from CP3 as possible when he brings the ball up the court. He draws more flops/fouls than any PG I've ever seen, especially when pressured in the backcourt and near half court.

He loves to get a defender chasing him from behind and stop/slow down suddenly then barrel roll like he just took a hit from a free safety.

And don't get me started about his acting jobs when he gets picked by a big in a pick&roll...

I know Manu has had a rep as a major flopper in years past, but CP3 makes Manu look like a choir boy.

Legacy
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
LOL @ Flop City.

Dunc n Dave
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Id love to see Kawhi Leonard on CP3 for some stretches.

Kawhi being a rookie, would be in foul trouble the whole game. CP3 would make sure of that by flopping as much as possible.

Spurs are better off giving CP3 some space and making him an outside scorer. Stay at home on everyone, send one help defender CP3 drives in the paint, but don't collapse the D or sag too far into the paint, so he can't hit the open shooters.

Contain the shooters and the Clips are toast.

Spurs da champs
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
IMO it's simple look at everything the Grizzlies are doing against Chris Paul & do the exact opposite.

Also after seeing how CP3 is just torching Tony Allen who's a better defender then the rookie Kawhi Leonard, I'm not sure I'd go with that it.

And we all know what happened when Danny Green was guarding CP3.

Bruno
05-08-2012, 11:13 PM
In addition of the obvious Paul and Griffin match up, a problem Spurs will have is to match up with the quick Clippers backcourt especially when Parker would be on the bench. IF there is a series in the playoff where Patrick Mills could be useful, it's against the Clippers.

Aside of that, Spurs won't hesitate to foul intentionally their bigs. Spurs have a high enough octane offense to do it with success.

Spurs will also need to match the other team team intensity in game 1 whether they face Clippers or Grizzlies. Spurs had an easy first round against Utah but the Grizzlies/Clippers series has been a dogfight.

Darius Bieber
05-08-2012, 11:28 PM
I say we foul Griffin deliberately a few times to see if he'll at least make 1 out of 4 or something. Call it Grab-a-Griffin.

Mikesatx
05-08-2012, 11:41 PM
I think we are looking at another sweep. Clippers have a ton of talent but are the worst coached team in the playoffs. I don't think Del Negro will be able to keep up with Pop's adjustments.

Bill Brasky
05-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Fake Brasky has a point. Paul has taken flopping and crying to the next level.

BlairForceDejuan
05-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Thought we were done having to watch Paul's pathetic bullshit flopping and crying once he got traded. Not looking forward to watching lil Napoleon cry all series.

T Park
05-09-2012, 01:32 AM
It is what it is.

It would be an ultimate us against the world, cause everyone would want to see Griffen and CP3 move on.

Spurtacus
05-09-2012, 01:41 AM

:lmao

shorttotry
05-09-2012, 01:55 AM

Fuck Paul. We should just let him get his and not body up on him. Shut down the rest of his team/ options and we'll be fine.

007nites
05-09-2012, 02:07 AM
I hope SJax roughs Paul up. If we play physical it will make a huge difference.

007nites
05-09-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm predicting that the Clipps will have a combination of Evans Jordan guarding Tim and Splitter. Blake & Martin will be guarding Diaw, Blair, and Bonner. I hope Kenyon remembers what happened last time he tried guarding Timmy in the playoffs.

therealtruth
05-09-2012, 05:25 AM
We should just let him get his and not body up on him. Shut down the rest of his team/ options and we'll be fine.

With great players you want to make them either a scorer or passer but not both.

LkrFan
05-09-2012, 05:59 AM

:lol

silverblk mystix
05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I think the Spurs should throw in Patty Mills for stretches to guard cp3 just to take a few fouls and frustrate him and then throw in some Danny Green just to throw him off with some size.

In the 4th quarter you can add some kawhi and jax just for shits and giggles.

Wild Cobra Kai
The beautiful thing about the Clips right now is how small they are outside of the 4 and 5 spots. Caron isn't overly large at the 3 spot and idiot Nick young is smaller yet. We can play TP/Neal or even TP/Mills back courts, and scavenge minutes at the three for Green and or Manu if necessary.

We've got options.

ploto
With great players you want to make them either a scorer or passer but not both.

CP3 can do both in the same game. It should be fun to watch him and TP go at each other.

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
You can't take away CP3's abilities to be a scorer passer...

but I don't believe his complimentary players are skilled enough to get themselves open effectively if there is a concerted effort to keep them bottled up.

Therefore CP3 won't be able to utilize that part of his game.

I'm not sure if the Spurs are capable of that type of defense these days.

buttsR4rebounding
05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
If the Clips get rolling Pop will go to the Bump-a-Blake to change up the game.

SPurs206
05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Everyone would have to watch this series . All eyes on us.

Dr Cox
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I can't wait for hack a Griffin/Jordan/Evans.

Prepare to see a lot of it!

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:03 AM
"ballin in the fast lane, hustle til the mornin, never stopped until the cash came"

ace3g
05-09-2012, 11:09 AM
If we face the Clippers both teams will have to game plan differently than we did during the regular season because we never played the Clippers with our big acquisitions (SJAX, Diaw, and Mills).

rascal
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
4-1 Spurs

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure if Pop will hack Griffin. It's not like he's unstoppable in post isolations. Perhaps hack Jordan because he seems more like a loose canon that could less his composure and have to be removed from the game.

Obviously the key is at the PG matchup to begin with. If Parker can rise to the challenge and dominate that matchup I would think the advantage swings towards the Spurs. Their offense is somewhat one dimensional around Paul. You could argue that our offense revolves around Tony while he's out there but our bench thrives against whoever they play against.

Anyway, can't wait to see this get started.

Dr Cox
05-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Are you even a real Dr anymore? Dont you have some goats to play with?:downspin:

tonight...you
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
What a little pussy. Spurs aren't going to make the mistake last game and let Mo Williams and such open for wide open shots coming down the court.

Lob City my Ass. Flop Ass City more like it.

Some people are Kleptomaniacs and such. Paul is a Floppomaniac. Its complusive for the guy.

Someone should make a youtube video spoofing him flopping while getting groceries at the store. Or flopping to get the last copy of a video game at Best Buy.

BlairForceDejuan
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Spurs 4 - 0. Thou hath proclaimed another sweeparoo. Will quote upon delivery.

gambit1990
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM

:rollin

that's some sad shit. spurs in 5.

Spurs Brazil
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Lionel Hollins backs Chris Paul
Updated: May 9, 2012, 3:23 PM ET
By Kevin Arnovitz | ESPNLosAngeles.com

Email
Print

Griffin Exploiting Grizzlies
Tim Legler talks about Blake Griffin's performance in Game 4 vs Memphis and discusses Game 5.Tags: SportsCenter, Tim Legler, Clippers-Grizzlies, Game 4, Game 5
NEXT VIDEO video

Griffin Exploiting Grizzlies
TrueHoop TV: Five with John Hollinger
W2W4: Clippers-Grizzlies Game 5
Pulse Of Los Angeles

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis coach Lionel Hollins backed off a comment he made on Monday night, when he told a TNT sideline reporter that "Chris (Paul) does a good job of flopping."

"Flopping was the wrong word to use," Hollis said. "At that moment, I couldn't think of a better word. It was a first-quarter interview on national TV, but I retract that word. But he's good at drawing fouls and putting you in a position where he'll get you behind him and see you. He'll stop and make you run into him. Chris is just a great player."

Hollins Flopping was the wrong word to use. At that moment I couldn't think of a better word.
” -- Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins on Chris Paul

Told of Hollins' remark following the Clippers' 101-97 overtime victory, Paul brushed it off.

"I don't care what he's talking about," Paul said. "He's got a team over there he has to worry about."

Despite Hollins' about-face, Memphis guard O.J. Mayo persisted in his criticism of what he perceives as a trademark strategy of the Clippers, who lead the series 3-1 ahead of Wednesday night's Game 5 in Memphis.

"Both teams are trying to play physical, but one team is a little better at acting than the other team," Mayo said. "Those guys do flop. They're great players. It's working. They're getting to the free-throw line. They're able to put their opponent in foul trouble. If that's what it takes to get the job done, I guess we all need to start doing it."

Paul has maintained his steadfast denial that flopping exists as a tactic. Asked whether the Clippers had gotten into the Grizzlies' heads, Paul was dismissive.

"I don't know and I could care less,"Paul said. "We don't go out there with the objective or game plan to get in their heads. We want to win the game."

In contrast to Paul, Clippers forward Blake Griffin admitted that, in a playoff series especially, his team will more readily try to sell foul calls to officials.

Western Conference Playoffs

Get all the news and commentary on the Grizzlies-Clippers matchup on ESPN.com's matchup page.

• Predictions: Simulator | SportsNation
• More: TrueHoop | Schedule | Bracket
• Clippers Report | ESPN Los Angeles

"I think so," Griffin said. "It's one of those things where every play means a lot. You never know what one play can do, so you're making sure you're getting every possession you can."

Griffin's teammate, big man Reggie Evans, was even more candid in his admission that posturing on foul calls plays a part in the postseason.

"If you can sell a call and get away with it, why not do it?" Evans said. "It's all a part of the game. It's always the one who it doesn't work out in their favor -- that's the one that's always complaining about it."

Evans disagreed with the characterization of Paul by critics.

"I don't think he's flopping," Evans said. "He's not the flopping type of guy, in my opinion. I think he really gets fouls. You think of a flop, you think of something like what (Pau) Gasol or (Danilo) Gallinari do. That's a flop. But Chris is getting fouled."

Evans has been cited as one of the Clippers' most egregious offenders, and he hardly deflected the accusation.

"People say I flop a lot," Evans said. "I pick my moments. One thing about these referees, they do a good job of knowing who's high on the radar when it comes to flops. They do a good job of making the right calls. They've been letting it be tough out there. It's been real tough, real physical, so they've been letting us play. A lot of times people have been flopping, but they haven't called the flops. They've been on-point with it."

Over the course of the series, the Clippers have been whistled for 25.3 personal fouls per game, while the Grizzlies have averaged 24.8. Memphis has attempted a playoff-leading 30.8 free throws per game to the Clippers' 27.8.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7910201/memphis-grizzlies-lionel-hollins-backs-says-los-angeles-clippers-chris-paul-not-flopping

spurraider21
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm loving the prospect of hack a Blake/Evans/Jordan.

The dancing bear will have some value this series. Maybe have James Anderson out there as a spot up shooter and 6 fouls

TD 21
05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
In addition of the obvious Paul and Griffin match up, a problem Spurs will have is to match up with the quick Clippers backcourt especially when Parker would be on the bench. IF there is a series in the playoff where Patrick Mills could be useful, it's against the Clippers.

Aside of that, Spurs won't hesitate to foul intentionally their bigs. Spurs have a high enough octane offense to do it with success.

Spurs will also need to match the other team team intensity in game 1 whether they face Clippers or Grizzlies. Spurs had an easy first round against Utah but the Grizzlies/Clippers series has been a dogfight.

I agree. Pop's not going to go to Mills over Neal to start, but I wouldn't be shocked if he does as the series moves along. A lot of it depends on Green's success splitting the Paul duties with Parker.

This is a tough series for Neal. If Bledsoe defends him, he'll have difficulty just dribbling. If he defends Williams, he'll get torched. And obviously, he needs to be (and will be) kept as far away from Paul as possible. Presuming the Spurs advance, next series should be a much better fit for Neal, either way. He'll either be matched-up with Fisher or Blake.