PDA

View Full Version : Can history repeat?

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Does anyone worry about history repeating itseif from 2004?

2004-Spurs win last 11 games of regular season.

Spurs sweep first round 4-0

Spurs win games 1 and 2 in round 2 against a Los Angeles team for their 17th straight win.

Then said LA team wins next 4 games and our hot unbeatable Spurs are out of playoffs. :depressed

2012- Spurs win last 10 games of regular season.

Spurs again play a Los Angeles team in 2nd round.........

Hmmmm, maybe I want Memphis to win in 7 games afterall.

:p:

celldweller
05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm pretty sure Pop will bring this up to the troops. Complacency can take down any team.

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
They are not doomed to repeat it because Spurs are aware

And those Lakers under Phil Jackson... Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton... hungry..

differ from these LA... Clippers... Del Negro... CP/Blake... cinderella.

Clock is striking midnight

100%duncan
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
No.

urunobili
05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Spurs may lose the first game of the series this time and your theory will go down the toilet.

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Spurs may lose the first game of the series this time and your theory will go down the toilet.

not a theory, just a coincidence that I noticed. Obviously two very different teams.....but I am sure Pop will remind players about how being too cocky can bite you in the ass

MI21
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Bit of a coincidence but these Clippers / Grizzlies aren't the 04 Lakers. Either will present a much more difficult matchup than Utah, but the Spurs should be favourites.

spursfan1000
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm sure this veteran team will handle themselves we'll and not be over confident

Libri
05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
No.

Dr Cox
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I could see the Spurs dropping game one...and then winning four straight. : )

Pocket Hippo
05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I personally do not put any stock into history based stats, they are different teams in the present so relying on trends is very iffy.

Keepin' it real
05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm not an MIT graduate, but mathematically speaking, aren't long winning streaks usually followed by losing streaks, or at least a period of more losses than wins?

Just like during a game, when a team has a hot-shooting first half, conventional wisdom is that they'll likely (and usually do) end up shooting poorly in the 2nd half and finish the game very close to their normal shooting percentage.

Unless the Spurs go 16-0 in the playoffs, otherwise known as fo-fo-fo-fo :toast, it will be verrry interesting to see how they react to their first loss. A poor performance in their next game could snowball to a 4-game losing streak and an early summer vacation.

A lot of the players are different from 2004 ... the opponent will be very different ... but that math remains the same.

Ninja
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm not an MIT graduate
Clearly not. :lol

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Players are different, which means, there is a different equation, different values... so the math is different.

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm not an MIT graduate, but mathematically speaking, aren't long winning streaks usually followed by losing streaks, or at least a period of more losses than wins?

Just like during a game, when a team has a hot-shooting first half, conventional wisdom is that they'll likely (and usually do) end up shooting poorly in the 2nd half and finish the game very close to their normal shooting percentage.

Unless the Spurs go 16-0 in the playoffs, otherwise known as fo-fo-fo-fo :toast, it will be verrry interesting to see how they react to their first loss. A poor performance in their next game could snowball to a 4-game losing streak and an early summer vacation.

A lot of the players are different from 2004 ... the opponent will be very different ... but that math remains the same.

In Spurs two 11 game winning streaks, their streak ended on the road when they did not bring their three stars(Portland and Utah). In first scenario, they won the very next game, in other, they did lose the next one too, so I guess that can be a losing streak(2)

If Spurs can extend this streak to 16, then I'm ok wityh them losing next two on road, because,teams that start a series2-0 have gone on and won 90% of said series. I like their chances when they get that 2-0 lead.

anonoftheinternets
05-09-2012, 11:02 AM

no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

Legacy
05-09-2012, 11:13 AM
No.

^^^

YES!

*ahem* I mean... No. :p:

spurraider21
05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Nope. That 04 series was won due to Fishers 0.4 shot in game 5 (in San Antonio) and the lakers closed game 6 at home. Fluky series.

Also, to the non MIT graduate, regardless of what streak they're on look at their win % to get the odds of winning their next game.

cheguevara
05-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Memphis will beat the Clips and advance. you heard it first here

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Nope. That 04 series was won due to Fishers 0.4 shot in game 5 (in San Antonio) and the lakers closed game 6 at home. Fluky series.

Also, to the non MIT graduate, regardless of what streak they're on look at their win % to get the odds of winning their next game.

numerology people will point out that since it was 04, the 0.4 shot was destiny.

tesseractive
05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

This.

It's likely that anomalously long winning streaks will be followed by regression to the mean -- i.e. that the team will play at their average level from their on out, so their record over time will be closer to their average than to the record they demonstrated over the streak.

To be more concrete, if you flip a fair coin 10 times and get 10 heads in a row, then you flip the coin 10 more times, the expected number of heads in the second batch is still 5. If you keep doing it, the average is likely to get closer to 50/50, but tails are never more than 50% likely to appear from a fair coin flip.

baseline bum
05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't think this team is as good as the 04 team, but Parker's jumpshot has improved enough that the Lakers gimmick defense of 04 where they just packed the paint wouldn't be effective against this team now.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
You're playing the wrong LA.

cd98
05-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Please stop jinx.

roycrikside
05-09-2012, 12:15 PM
That '04 team had Hedo, who was probably the closest Spur we've had to RJ. That team couldn't shoot at all. This Spurs team can shoot pretty well, as you've no doubt noticed.

smaka
05-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Meh. Who cares about history?

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
That '04 team had Hedo, who was probably the closest Spur we've had to RJ. That team couldn't shoot at all. This Spurs team can shoot pretty well, as you've no doubt noticed.

Hedo made 8 out of 28 (28% ) from downtown that series.......

I like our shooters better

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Obviously Hitler for one.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM

History majors.

baseline bum
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Del Negro was the closest Spur we had to RJ tbh.

timvp
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Obviously the 2004 demise is in the back of the minds of the Big 3 and Pop. I'm sure Pop has mentioned how win streaks don't guarantee anything about 234,112,644 times this season.

This Spurs team may eventually implode but it's much more likely to be a defensive meltdown than an offensive meltdown. That 2004 Spurs team was statistically the best defensive team in NBA history. However, offensively they were below average. That below average offense eventually caught up to them . . .

Horse
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
As long as the timekeeper is sober we will be fine.

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
timvp, why do you have pic of Manu and TP in your posts and not TD??? I mean, look at your name, for chrissakes. Are you figuring that Timmy is old now so not worthy of being in your picture?

:depressed

z0sa
05-09-2012, 02:20 PM
timvp, why do you have pic of Manu and TP in your posts and not TD??? I mean, look at your name, for chrissakes. Are you figuring that Timmy is old now so not worthy of being in your picture?

:depressed

Manu's old too dude. :)

freetiago
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
people always say pack the paint blahblahblah like that hurts the spurs
it hurts parkers scoring game but if you pack the paint that means that shooters will be open
we have the best shooters in the league
we want teams to pack the paint
thats how our offense works
then if they decide theyre getting burned to much they stop packing the paint and parker goes into layup drill mode

Sec24Row7
05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Tony Parker can shoot jumpshots now.

That is the reason we didn't win that series...

Jimcs50
05-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Spurs win games 1 and 2 in round 2 against a Los Angeles team for their 17th straight win.
Then said LA team wins next 4 games and our hot unbeatable Spurs are out of playoffs. :depressed

So, here we are again....17 straight wins.....game in LA.....can it happen?

Nah.

Budkin
05-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Tony Parker can shoot jumpshots now.

That is the reason we didn't win that series...

I think the reason was that nobody could hit a damn jumpshot that series, not TP, not Malik, and not He"don't." We would have won if we had kept Jax.

therealtruth
05-20-2012, 01:58 PM
We also had Horry who couldn't make a shot against his former team.

Keepin' it real
06-03-2012, 12:09 AM
This is worthy of a bump, given the circumstances.

mathematically speaking, aren't long winning streaks usually followed by losing streaks, or at least a period of more losses than wins?

I was afraid that the longer the winning streak got, so would the losing streak that would inevitably follow (law of averages). That's why I was halfway "hoping" for a loss or two in earlier rounds, just so this winning streak would not end up working against the Spurs (mathematically speaking).

Sadly, the Spurs are halfway toward a 4-game losing streak, which would put their playoff win percentage at 71%, which would be very close to their 75% winning percentage in the regular season.

Unless the Spurs go 16-0 in the playoffs ... it will be verrry interesting to see how they react to their first loss. A poor performance in their next game could snowball to a 4-game losing streak and an early summer vacation.

As I said, these things have a way of evening out. Let's hope the Spurs can overcome the mathematical challenge facing them.

:flag:

gameFACE
06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
What about history repeating itself from '03 against the Lakers (W-W-L-L-W-W)? Or the Sonics in '05 (W-W-L-L-W-W)? Those were easily the toughest WC teams the Spurs played in each of those championship runs.

mexicanjunior
06-03-2012, 12:36 AM
What about history repeating itself from '03 against the Lakers (W-W-L-L-W-W)? Or the Sonics in '05 (W-W-L-L-W-W)? Those were easily the toughest WC teams the Spurs played in each of those championship runs.

2003 and 2005 Duncan would laugh at this version...

racm
06-03-2012, 12:37 AM

I'm thinking having game 5 at home is what will swing the momentum back to the guys in silver and black.

Budkin
06-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Can it yes? Will it no.

Jimcs50
06-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Damn, it looks like history is repeating itself, only one series later. 20 game win streak instead of 17 game win streak, 2-0 lead, and possibly lose 4 straight again.

Don't think that in back of my mind, when Spurs had shot to tie game( down 3), with TD having ball in 3 pt area, that I thought of him launching the 3, making it, then having Westbrook hitting game winner at buzzer.....that would have been too freaky.

I am hoping SA can somehow pull out a game 6 victory, because this team does not deserve the ignominy of losing 4 straight and getting bounced out of playoffs. I'd much rather they lose in game 7.

therealtruth
06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Man Pop should have lost a game sooner.

z0sa
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I commented about this worry when we were up 2-0. Everything, especially the winstreak and how unstoppable Parker looked on screen and rolls, was way, way too similar not to be concerned.

It all came to head on that last jumpshot from Tony last night. I was visibly sickened and disheartened when Parker hesitated and looked wildly around for a defender, even though his defender was seconds behind the play and everyone else was staying home, daring him to shoot a simple 17 footer.

Jimcs50
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I commented about this worry when we were up 2-0. Everything, especially the winstreak and how unstoppable Parker looked on screen and rolls, was way, way too similar not to be concerned.

It all came to head on that last jumpshot from Tony last night. I was visibly sickened and disheartened when Parker hesitated and looked wildly around for a defender, even though his defender was seconds behind the play and everyone else was staying home, daring him to shoot a simple 17 footer.

Yeah, we had a chances numerous times to hit go ahead shots or shots to tie game. That shot by Manu looked like he made it to me, it was sickening seeing it miss and them get rebound.