PDA

View Full Version : Will you put Parker on Paul again?

100%duncan
05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Considering how that formula worked before in '08, would you put TP on Paul again?

urunobili
05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Kawhi is not ready for flopP3. and Parker is a better defender than he was back then.

spursfaninla
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I am sure we will put other defenders on Paul as well. Green is our best perimeter defender, so he will probably see time on Paul, although SJax is defending the sf/pf positions great too.

This is Parker's best year defensively, so I think he has a good shot at playing at least adequate defense.

Paranoid Pop
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Kawhi is not ready for flopP3. and Parker is a better defender than he was back then.

It's between Green and TP, Kawhi is too slow.

And I think putting Green on him is the best option.

spursfan1000
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I would say try green on him first, of we put Parker on him he will be too tired on the offensive end

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Have Parker Attack Paul on the Offense make that fool work and draw fouls on his flopping ass

timvp
05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
You can bet your last dollar that Danny Green will spend a lot of time on CP3. The Clippers play a lot of small backcourts so Pop will try to rest Parker on Foye, Williams or Bledsoe when they're paired with CP3. Even though Young is taller, he doesn't go inside much so Pop could stick Parker on him too.

Personally, I like when Parker defends CP3 ... but Pop will force the Clippers to give him reason to not stick with Green the whole game.

100%duncan
05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
You can bet your last dollar that Danny Green will spend a lot of time on CP3. The Clippers play a lot of small backcourts so Pop will try to rest Parker on Foye, Williams or Bledsoe when they're paired with CP3. Even though Young is taller, he doesn't go inside much so Pop could stick Parker on him too.

Personally, I like when Parker defends CP3 ... but Pop will force the Clippers to give him reason to not stick with Green the whole game.

I want to know your thoughts about these. Are you afraid that TP might get into foul trouble early when he will guard Paul? Do you think Green can already handle a superstar?

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Only one way to find out if Green is up the the challenge.

We can afford to lose game 1 honestly.

So might as well get the measure of our youth vs legit calibre stars.

Spurs da champs
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Paul was toying with Green the last time!

100%duncan
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Only one way to find out if Green is up the the challenge.

We can afford to lose game 1 honestly.

So might as well get the measure of our youth vs legit calibre stars.

No. Just look at what is happening with Memphis. Choked game 1 away and down 3-1.

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
True there should be no games given away.

But I think a game one loss won't be so devastating.

Not enough to cripple the Spurs and lose the series.

I get the feel if it did anything though, it would force them to refocus and bunker down...
which is the mindset I would like having for the stretch run.

If they win the first game easily.. sweep the series even, there is a chance they lose their sharpness, going into their battle with OKC/Lakers.

And if they lost that first game... then what is happening to the Grizzlies, might be fitting.

Trill Clinton
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
smart money says Green will guard CP3.

Spurs da champs
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Putting Green on Paul is gonna make this a long series.

Yuixafun
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Yea... I think Danny Green's zeal will be counterproductive against Chris Paul's Kung Fu treachery.

Pocket Hippo
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Chris Paul is kind of like Steve Nash in that it is going to take a scheme to really limit him, no one defender can shut him down. Parker is the same way and the Clips do not have a team with enough discipline to do that. We are going to rotate defenders on Paul so he doesn't get comfortable. Spurs in 5.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Sean Elliott mentioned that the Spurs should have Green guard CP3 so Parker does not need to spend so much effort on the defensive side. Clippers two guards are not especially big and Parker should be able to handle them. Since CP3 is their best defensive guard he would be forced to guard Parker on the offensive side which should help toward the latter stages of the game and series. Plus, Green has had some success defending PG's this year. I thought he did especially well against Rubio and Monte Ellis. Green has the foot speed and the length to cause havoc and make CP3 work hard for his assists and points.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Honestly I think Parker is capable but it's not what the Spurs should do. As Pocket Hippo pointed out it's going to take a village to stop Paul. What the other 4 Spurs are doing will be just as important as who is on the ball against CP3, but Green's the guy I'd throw at him first.

ajballer4
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
During the RS, Green played a lot on Paul, and he did about as good of job as you could do.

It works well especially since most of the time the Clips are playing two PGs

cd98
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Team D on Paul.

ffadicted
05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
No. Don't want to tire him out on the offense. I'd throw Green on him to start the game and see what happens. The rest of the clippers backcourt isn't very big, so TP could handle them

Keepin' it real
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I could not answer the poll question because the answer is both yes and no. Depends on game situation, foul situation, etc.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
No. Tony Parker would be too spent to finish games

tesseractive
05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
No. Tony Parker would be too spent to finish games

Exactly. Which is why you only put Parker on him for certain stretches. :tu

The thing we have to remember is that we don't actually have to "stop" Chris Paul. We just have to make it so that our offense is more efficient than theirs. So we need to keep mixing up looks, force some bad shots and bad passes here and there, and make Paul work hard for the shots and assists that he gets. As long as we keep getting ourselves great looks on the other end using motion, passing, and speed, we can win.

We still need to be able to make some key stops down the stretch, but you can pull out a lot of stops and run special schemes for a few key possessions in ways that aren't practical to do all game long.

I don't want to make it sound like it will be easy -- it won't. But I think if we use our depth to keep our guys fresh while Paul has to keep working hard all night long, we can beat the Clippers in 5 or 6.

The ADMIRAL 50
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
I believe it was our first game against the clips where Danny completely shut cp3 down. He was pestering him constantly and Paul never got comfortable. That said I don't expect this every game, and Paul did torch us once I think, but Green has shown that at his best be can really bother Paul.

timtonymanurich
05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Either Danny G or Kawhi L. Either of them can drastically clog C-3PO's passing lanes and disrupt his 'court vision'. Paul will still make plays her and there, but LIMITING his playmaking is MISSION CRITICAL.

DesignatedT
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Tony needs to step it up and guard CP3. Green or KL can go for short stretches but they can't last guarding Paul a whole game.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Tony needs to step it up and guard CP3. Green or KL can go for short stretches but they can't last guarding Paul a whole game.

You put Leonard, Green, Jackson, and probably Neal in alternate against Paul to give him different looks. At the end of games, it's all about Tony Parker vs CP3.

justinandimcool
05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
saw Green play against CP3 live, and it was amazing. he pestered him so much. Parker can conserve his energy guarding Foye

justinandimcool
saw Green play against CP3 live, and it was amazing. he pestered him so much. Parker can conserve his energy guarding Foye

tesseractive
You put Leonard, Green, Jackson, and probably Neal in alternate against Paul to give him different looks. At the end of games, it's all about Tony Parker vs CP3.

Neal couldn't guard Chris Paul if he was in a full body cast.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Neal couldn't guard Chris Paul if he was in a full body cast.

Werd. Like Parker he could be shifted over to handle one of the Clips smaller off guards if Pop is going to insist on using him in a PG role but the D he showed against Devin Harris would be giftwrapping points for Paul.

timtonymanurich
05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Bonner

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2012, 02:01 PM
we need to wear him down, pop should play mills for the full court press all the time, then switch with someone of the bench....tire the fucker out...

therealtruth
05-09-2012, 02:40 PM
The key is making CP3 a passer or scorer but not both.

freetiago
05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
put green/leonard on cp360
ive been watching the games closely and cp3s favorite way to score is getting a screen and shooting an offbalance mid range shot from around the free throw line
having length who can get up and contest the shot will help a lot
and of course if he decides to take it to the rim hell be met by tiago/tim since they wont have to leave the paint
loling at the thought of griffin/jordan/martin killing us with mid range shots

i remember tiago shitting on cp360 after getting switched on the screen
made him airball one shot then blocked the other with his hands up when paul flopped into tiago

timvp
05-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Are you afraid that TP might get into foul trouble early when he will guard Paul?I don't think foul trouble should be a major concern. It's possible TP might get in foul trouble but it's unlikely. Only five players in the entire NBA foul less often that Parker on a per-minute basis.

Do you think Green can already handle a superstar?That's one of the biggest question marks of the postseason. The Utah series didn't answer that considering that the Jazz literally have no perimeter scorer who can be classified as above average. Gordon Hayward is probably their best perimeter scorer and he averages less points per minute than Green himself.

In the regular season, Green had a little bit of success against CP3 ... but not much. Whenever CP3 really got going, he pretty much got what he wanted against Green. But then again, there isn't anyone who can totally shut down CP3.

I actually think Parker is by far the best defender to throw at CP3 ... but Pop's strategy will be to try to tire out CP3 by having Green guard him while simultaneously forcing CP3 to defend Parker. In theory, Del Negro could put someone else on Parker but that'd be a pretty bad idea since Parker would likely destroy anyone not named Paul.

timvp
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Safe to say you aren't talking about the final game between the two when Green guarded CP3 all game and CP3 ended up with 36, 11 and 1 turnover.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Green has not looked good in the game clippers beat us, Paul owned him

Spurs da champs
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Green has not looked good in the game clippers beat us, Paul owned him

That's an understatement.

TD 21
05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
That's one of the biggest question marks of the postseason. The Utah series didn't answer that considering that the Jazz literally have no perimeter scorer who can be classified as above average. Gordon Hayward is probably their best perimeter scorer and he averages less points per minute than Green himself.

In the regular season, Green had a little bit of success against CP3 ... but not much. Whenever CP3 really got going, he pretty much got what he wanted against Green. But then again, there isn't anyone who can totally shut down CP3.

I actually think Parker is by far the best defender to throw at CP3 ... but Pop's strategy will be to try to tire out CP3 by having Green guard him while simultaneously forcing CP3 to defend Parker. In theory, Del Negro could put someone else on Parker but that'd be a pretty bad idea since Parker would likely destroy anyone not named Paul.

I have a feeling that Green on Paul is going to be a disaster, but he's got to at least be the secondary defender on him. Parker's not going to literally play every second Paul does and even if he did, like you said, Pop wouldn't want to wear him down. And there's really no other even semi-appealing option in the rotation. Leonard would probably be third by default, but I expect Pop to stick to Parker and Green.

If Del Negro has an ounce of common sense, he'll use Bledsoe plenty in this series, both to get up into Neal and disrupt the offense and as his secondary Parker defender. Sure, he can't make Parker work defensively like Williams could, but he's an excellent on ball defender. He's not in Bradley's class, but he's a tier under that and because he plays such limited minutes, he can easily afford to pick up full court on every possession. Del Negro should actually think about playing the three small guards together on occasion. The Spurs are limited as far as being able to defend small, quick guards and other than Jackson, they don't post any of their wings.

100%duncan
05-10-2012, 03:11 AM
My only worry is if Pop relies on Green, the dude might not handle the pressure. I hope Green will prove me wrong though. I also think that the best thing to do is, put Green,KL,TP, or even Jax on Paul to give him different looks and in this way Pop won't tire TP out.

JustinJDW
05-10-2012, 06:00 AM
No one person in the NBA can "shut down" Chris Paul. It doesn't even necessarily matter who we put on him because he will most likely rip up a nice little new asshole no matter what. Memphis put Tony Allen on Paul and he's basically been tearing him apart all series, especially in the clutch. Hence why the Clippers all the close games in the series. And Tony Allen is a Top 5 perimeter defender easily.

The important thing is to keep the other players on the team from also tearing us a new asshole. Griffin, Mo, Butler, Young, all those cats. Contain them. Chris Paul will get his points, crossovers, couple nice highlight lobs, all while flopping and crying for calls. That will happen, but we must keep everyone else from also going off. Make transition defense a priority. Rebound the basketball. Attack the basket, Jordan and Griffin are extremely prone to foul trouble. Run our offense, and knockdown our shots.

Danny Green will most likely be taking on CP3 man to man, but it will be Team Defense that wins this series.

100%duncan
05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
No one person in the NBA can "shut down" Chris Paul. It doesn't even necessarily matter who we put on him because he will most likely rip up a nice little new asshole no matter what. Memphis put Tony Allen on Paul and he's basically been tearing him apart all series, especially in the clutch. Hence why the Clippers all the close games in the series. And Tony Allen is a Top 5 perimeter defender easily.

The important thing is to keep the other players on the team from also tearing us a new asshole. Griffin, Mo, Butler, Young, all those cats. Contain them. Chris Paul will get his points, crossovers, couple nice highlight lobs, all while flopping and crying for calls. That will happen, but we must keep everyone else from also going off. Make transition defense a priority. Rebound the basketball. Attack the basket, Jordan and Griffin are extremely prone to foul trouble. Run our offense, and knockdown our shots.

Danny Green will most likely be taking on CP3 man to man, but it will be Team Defense that wins this series.

Defensively
'08 Bowen>2012 Allen
2012 Paul>'08 Paul
2012 Parker>'08 Parker

Bowen didn't succeed on containing Paul either. Putting Green( the player we have closest to Bowen/Allen in perimeter defending) on Paul goes against your theory.

AlleyOopNazi
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
What does it matter, if he wants to score hes going to switch a bigger player on him and go to work. It has to be a team effort and have key situations to trap him out on the perimeter. Parker will just need to match his effort on offense and everything will take care of itself.

JustinJDW
05-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Defensively
'08 Bowen>2012 Allen
2012 Paul>'08 Paul
2012 Parker>'08 Parker

Bowen didn't succeed on containing Paul either. Putting Green( the player we have closest to Bowen/Allen in perimeter defending) on Paul goes against your theory.Incorrect.

My theory is that no one person in the NBA can shut down Chris Paul, or even really contain him. Which really isn't even a theory, but more like reality.

Did I ever say that Danny Green would shut down or even contain Chris Paul? No, I did not.

We're most likely putting Danny Green on CP3 because he's best fitted for the job, but it will take a team defense to win this series. By this I mean consistent help team defense on Chris Paul, and defending the other players as well to keep them from ripping us apart. Because that's how teams become unstoppable. When not only the star is beating you, but everyone else also is. That's how our offense has become unstoppable.

So how does this go against my theory/fact? Oh wait, it doesn't. In fact, it only does so if I say that Danny Green would shut down or even contain CP3 by himself.

Oh wait, but again, I never said that. You know why? Because its not true.

So no, that doesn't go against my theory/basketball fact.

100%duncan
05-11-2012, 02:35 AM
^The thread suggests options for 1v1 defense against Paul and I just explained that putting Green on Paul will just be the same as putting Bowen, even worse. But yes, you are correct, the only way to contain Paul is team defense but I just wondered what people think about Parker or any player in our team guarding CP3 1v1.

spurraider21
05-11-2012, 04:00 AM
i say stick parker on him and play business as usual. i'm fine with letting paul be a scorer. just limit his playmaking for others. the spurs are known for letting other teams stars get theirs. stoudemire had field days against us. carmelo typically scores plenty. i've seen kobe drop 40 even on bowen. turn paul into a scorer instead of a facilitator and watch the clippers crumble

therealtruth
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
i say stick parker on him and play business as usual. i'm fine with letting paul be a scorer. just limit his playmaking for others. the spurs are known for letting other teams stars get theirs. stoudemire had field days against us. carmelo typically scores plenty. i've seen kobe drop 40 even on bowen. turn paul into a scorer instead of a facilitator and watch the clippers crumble

I thought they abandoned that philosophy with Stoudemire in '10 and Randolph last year even though it's worked well in the past.