PDA

View Full Version : Country Music fans? just no one that says "country sucks moron!!!"

T Park
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
In the summer time I dont have to work during the day, its most 6 pm and on that i do most of my hard work, so during the day I get to obviously post on here, and watch TV ( i know lucky fucker, but I know I am)

Ive been a country music fan prob since my junior year of high school when my best friend on the golf team, we were sharing a hotel room on a tournament in Dallas, when he got me listening to it, now I add it to my eclectic tastes for music.

Ive noticed, more in the past year, that country seems to have like, not be country anymore.

Yeah you have guys like Brad Paisley and Dierks Benley and some other younger ones that like to keep it country. Another along those lines would be I think Alan Jackson and George Straight.

But sometimes CMT will show the EAGLES, The EAGLES?!?!? when did THEY become country??!?!

Cross Canadien Ragweed, IMO is a great band, are they country?? I dont know.

I mean, is it to the point now where its like Rock and roll,

you have many different versions?

Or is there no set definition for "country"

Spurminator
06-22-2005, 02:42 PM
This is my kind of country...

http://www.khyi.com/

Jekka
06-22-2005, 02:52 PM
There is a quote somewhere in Johnny Cash's autobiography Cash (awesome book by the way) where he says that country music wasn't a genre that he and his peers subscribed to - it was a way of life and how they lived, and that's how it sounded. It also goes on to criticize a lot of modern "country" music for being cheap.

There are some people out there that still make really good stuff that could be considered "country" - I hate the modern country that's on the radio, but there is some beautiful country/folk/blues music out there that deserves to be tapped. Try Kathleen Edwards, some Lucinda Williams, or go back to the 70s and try some Dan Fogelberg, Flying Burrito Brothers, and Stephen Stills (Manassas is one of my favorite albums, and it's pretty much country, with Stills amazing vocals).

You talk about the Eagles being on CMT, but the early Eagles started out sounding very country, they just utilized more harmonies and electric guitar before others brought it in. The Eagles made it big first in places like Austin where there was (and still is) a huge appreciation for country music.

Really, it's hard now to categorize most music into any one genre, which is fine - I think the pure genres don't have much new to offer, so the artists out there are making their own sounds.

T Park
06-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, I consider guys once again

George Straight
Blake Shelton
Alan Jackson
Brad Paisley
Dierks Bentley

I like modern country, but there is some stuff that i just scratch my head and am like

"Thats country?"

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 03:05 PM
We got BOTH kinds of music, country and western...:lol

The audience of the stuff you hear on the radio is mostly female, so really sappy lovesongs and "pop" country is what you hear...when a George Straight has digital voice effects (the 'Stars on the water' song), that's too much for me...

Whatever makes the music companies the most money is what they'll try to push as "country" to as many people who will buy it.

You could always listen to 680 KKYX :lol

Jekka
06-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, I consider guys once again

George Straight
Blake Shelton
Alan Jackson
Brad Paisley
Dierks Bentley

I like modern country, but there is some stuff that i just scratch my head and am like

"Thats country?"

Dude, listen to the Eagles's "Take It Easy" (their first single - before becoming a big "rock" band) and tell me it doesn't sound country. Even the words are something you'd find in a country song by any of the guys you listed. Country goes way beyond a man and his guitar, which is pretty much the extent of what you listed.

Spurminator
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00019JQHI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Kevin Fowler. As country as it gets.

T Park
06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I dont like it.

I like everything from Rock to rap.

I like country for the reason they sing about REAL LIFE situations, real life things.

Rock and rollers , i mean, the lyrics i guess are too intelligent for me maybe thats my problem lol.

But country just seems to hit RIGHT AT THE heart of things that you feel, and things that you do, stuff like that.

I dunno.

Listening to country puts me in a place like, a lazy sunday afternoon in the hill country watching the NFL relaxing, and just hanging out.

Or at a bar with the guys drinkin and hangin out.

I dunno, country is just a real, and I guess comfortable genre of music, that puts me at ease I guess.

I dunno.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 03:24 PM
You sound like Tweek's dad.

http://www.spscriptorium.com/SPBios/TweeksParents.jpg

Guru of Nothing
06-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Country goes way beyond a man and his guitar

Yeah, it takes a hat too.
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/apr02/juniorbrownbig041802.jpg

T Park
06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
i dunno.

I guess when i hear a song, i guess if it has a dobro in it, steel guitar once ina while, some steel guitar.

Instruments that give it a country sound and the singer have a country feel to it.

Dunno....

T Park
06-22-2005, 03:29 PM
ive never seen South Park, so I dont get the joke.

Story of my life

"I dont get it" haha.

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I dont like it.

I like everything from Rock to rap.

I like country for the reason they sing about REAL LIFE situations, real life things.

Rock and rollers , i mean, the lyrics i guess are too intelligent for me maybe thats my problem lol.

But country just seems to hit RIGHT AT THE heart of things that you feel, and things that you do, stuff like that.

I dunno.

Listening to country puts me in a place like, a lazy sunday afternoon in the hill country watching the NFL relaxing, and just hanging out.

Or at a bar with the guys drinkin and hangin out.

I dunno, country is just a real, and I guess comfortable genre of music, that puts me at ease I guess.

I dunno.

They're aren't a lot of musicians who are even writing their own music, so there isn't a lot of "real" music out there.

The "Texas Country" music ain't the best talent-wise, but there are some funny songs and real-world stuff, especially if you're a Texan.

T Park
06-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Well I dont begrudge a guy for saying,

hey, im not that great of a song writer, lets use a guy in Nashville who just writes songs, go ahead.

Ya know, i dont understand the hate for a guy that doesn't write his own songs.

Dunno, guess Im not a true music enthusiast.

Guru of Nothing
06-22-2005, 04:05 PM
They're aren't a lot of musicians who are even writing their own music, so there isn't a lot of "real" music out there.

The "Texas Country" music ain't the best talent-wise, but there are some funny songs and real-world stuff, especially if you're a Texan.

I'm not sure what your definition of Texas Country music is, but Texas can boast of being home to some of the finest songwriters in the world, such as Guy Clark, Terry Allen, Nathan Hamilton, Butch Hancock, Toni Price, Adam Carroll, Steve Earle, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Alejandro Escovedo, Billy Joe Shaver, Calvin Russell, Dale Watson, .... just to name a few.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 04:15 PM
There are tons of songwriters out there. WTF is this there is no one writing their own music bullshit?

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure what your definition of Texas Country music is, but Texas can boast of being home to some of the finest songwriters in the world, such as Guy Clark, Terry Allen, Nathan Hamilton, Butch Hancock, Toni Price, Adam Carroll, Steve Earle, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Alejandro Escovedo, Billy Joe Shaver, Calvin Russell, Dale Watson, .... just to name a few.

And you hear those guys all the time on the FM radio stations... inbetween the 40 Mr. & Mrs. Faith Hill songs per hour and the cover of a cover of a cover of a remake...

The truth is that most of the original music is relegated to the weekends or nights, and the equivalent to top 40 is played during the days & midweek.

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
And by talent-wise, I meant they have "songwriter's voices". :lol

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
And you hear those guys all the time on the FM radio stations... inbetween the 40 Mr. & Mrs. Faith Hill songs per hour and the cover of a cover of a cover of a remake...

The truth is that most of the original music is relegated to the weekends or nights, and the equivalent to top 40 is played during the days & midweek.
The truth is that some people aren't smart enough to find good music unless it comes on FM radio, but I won't name any names.

T Park
06-22-2005, 04:50 PM
It aint me obviosuly.

but, good music I have found out, its subject to each person's tastes.

Like cars.

SWC Bonfire
06-22-2005, 04:50 PM
The truth is that MOST people aren't smart enough to find good music unless it comes on FM radio. So they listen to the crap they hear.

Manny, you would argue with a chainsaw...

Ginofan
06-22-2005, 05:05 PM
The only country I can listen to is the "Texas" country variety. Pat Green, Jack Ingram, CCR, Charlie Robinson...all great stuff. I grew up listening to mainstream country with my parents until i discovered the outside world..today's country just seems too Pop to be called country.

Medvedenko
06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Try "Drive by Truckers"....awesome music...in the alt-country mold.

T Park
06-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Cowboy Troy is NOT country.

Big and Rich, while really nice guys, and really funny in person.

Not my cup of tea.

jalbre6
06-22-2005, 05:24 PM
The only country I can listen to is the "Texas" country variety. Pat Green, Jack Ingram, CCR, Charlie Robinson...all great stuff. I grew up listening to mainstream country with my parents until i discovered the outside world..today's country just seems too Pop to be called country.

I didn't really like any sort of country music until I went to a Pat Green concert. Now I'm pretty much the same way you are. It's strange seeing country music this big nationwide. New York City even has stations. Even stranger though, was going into a bar wearing a Cory Morrow concert t-shirt in NYC and people knew who he was! So even the "Texana/Americana" country isn't just in Texas anymore.

I went to see Alison Krauss and Union Station last Monday night and I was shocked that the theater sold out for a non-mainstream country act. The people I went with were saying, "It's not country, it's bluegrass!". But two country stations were there promoting it.

T Park
06-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Alison Krause and Union Station are awesome musicians.

IMO, country and bluegrass are like brothers.

Country can add some rock and blues into it a little, while Bluegrass has stuck to its roots of hilltop, down home, old school country.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Manny, you would argue with a chainsaw...
The real issue is who has more music: You, or the chainsaw?

T Park
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
lol

cds, talent, ear for it????? wich one?!??!

cherylsteele
06-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Well T Park

I kinda agree with you....but the Eagles have influenced many a country artists....heck they even put out an Eagles tribute album with country stars doing the Eagles' songs......so many would think you are wrong.

I agree with you saying the a good amount of music is not really country.

I personally like The Charlie Daniels Band, and other similar artists.

Mark in Austin
06-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Probably just a matter of geography, but I've found it a lot easier to find authentic Texas music, especially live, than authentic country.

Does anybody doubt that the record exec that is pimping ashlee simpson shared intern duties with the exec pimping canned country? They're both trying to appeal to broadest audience possible - thus the push for more "crossover" country/pop.

Same shit, different accent.

3rdCoast
06-22-2005, 05:58 PM
HICK HOP - NEW GENRE OF COUNTRY/RAP

Cowboy Troy - gets played on CMT often

Cowboy Troy - Hick Hop (http://www.cowboytroy.com/)

http://www.muzikmafia.com/images/artist_images/artist_10.jpg

jalbre6
06-22-2005, 06:17 PM
HICK HOP - NEW GENRE OF COUNTRY/RAP

Cowboy Troy - gets played on CMT often

Cowboy Troy - Hick Hop (http://www.cowboytroy.com/)

http://www.muzikmafia.com/images/artist_images/artist_10.jpg

It might be good music for all I know, but the fusion of country and rap just amazes the shit out of me. I'm sure it was just a matter of time once country went mainstream...hell, I remember how weird folks thought Ice-T and Body Count's heavy metal act was until I listened to their cassette and was very pleasantly surprised.

Still, it seems unnatural to me, at the least.

tekdragon
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
country sucks moron!!!

(i keed, i keed...)

:)

T Park
06-22-2005, 07:42 PM
gets played on CMT often

I have been watching CMT damn near all day, and havent heard them play CBT all day.

3rdCoast
06-22-2005, 07:45 PM
oh. well i saw it like 3 times one day and then 2 times another day. maybe its played out already

SequSpur
06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Country music is for queers.

KewlKat00
06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
I didn't really like any sort of country music until I went to a Pat Green concert. Now I'm pretty much the same way you are.

me too. i think its just the atmosphere. it reminds me of home when i listen to it. what was weird was seeing him at the house of blues in la. it was like this underground texas gathering. everyone was wearing shirts with luckenbach, georges bar, longhorns, dont mess with texas, etc. very refreshing. the old texas songs even got the loudest cheers.

T Park
06-22-2005, 08:00 PM
thats another part.

if you grew up in texas, you kind of have that texan pride, and country music seems to be deeply woven into the fabric of life in texas for alot of people.

N.Y. Johnny
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
thats another part.

if you grew up in texas, you kind of have that texan pride, and country music seems to be deeply woven into the fabric of life in texas for alot of people.

Thats true because alot of my friends are just as you say and they turned me onto the music here, especially the "Texas" music variety people have talked about here i like alot...stuff like Cory Morrow is great i got turned on to it and its awesome, of course even for a damn Yankee like me from up East Coast ways.

there's some good stuff, i can't get into that stuff you guys were talkin about earlier that borderline Rock/Country stuff i dunno can't do it.
its not the worst in the world that would be Rap :lmao

Faccia di Angelo
06-22-2005, 09:33 PM
I love country music!!

I used to hate it when I was younger but my sis would listen to it all the time and I just got into it. Haven't listened to it ever since. But I'm with you as far as not knowing what it is anymore. I like the older stuff, but not too far back.
My friend is always trying to get me to go see Cross Canadian Ragweed at Cowboys. I like their sound.

KewlKat00
06-22-2005, 09:41 PM
My friend is always trying to get me to go see Cross Canadian Ragweed at Cowboys. I like their sound.

have you been? if not, then you should go. i heard that they are great live.

unfortunately, i havent had the pleasure.

Duff McCartney
06-22-2005, 10:16 PM
CCR

There's only one CCR ever, and that's Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Duff McCartney
06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I remember how weird folks thought Ice-T and Body Count's heavy metal act was until I listened to their cassette and was very pleasantly surprised.

Hey if you like that you should listen to Loretta Lynns last album Van Lear Rose. Great album, such an infusion with Jack White as producer. It's great.

Ginofan
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
There's only one CCR ever, and that's Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Oh please. I wasn't about to type out the whole name of the band. So sue me. :rolleyes

Dr.Phil
06-23-2005, 12:29 AM

The majority of actors don't write their own scripts either but that doesn't make them bad actors. You would find it hard to find two people who like all of the same types of music.
I tend to feel that people who don't like the Beatles must have a mental problem but it is simply that they just don't like the music.

AlamoSpursFan
06-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Kevin Fowler. As country as it gets.

Not bad for the former guitarist for Dangerous Toys, eh Manny?

:lol

AlamoSpursFan
06-23-2005, 08:48 AM

I vote for the chainsaw.

Sincerely,
Jesse James Dupree

http://www.music-reviewer.com/03_98/pix/jaklchn4.jpg

SWC Bonfire
06-23-2005, 08:51 AM

Possibly the chain saw. The last time I paid money for a music CD was about 10 years ago. But pretty much all of my music was country then, and I grew up listening to it. I remember when Charlie Parker was "Coach Charlie Parker" doing sports on Great Country 68, KKYX. :lol

I got tired of spending money when you could listen to it on the radio for free, and I have lost interest further because of the crap they play on the radio. I got tired of the Thompsons yesterday & flipped over to FM... 97.3, & 100.7 were playing Garth Brooks crap at the same time... 100.3 had a Alan Jackson cover of an old Bellamy brothers song that added nothing to the original... and 98.1 was re-running a "best of Sam & Bob bitching" clip...

IcemanCometh
06-23-2005, 08:54 AM
country sucks moron!!!1

MannyIsGod
06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Possibly the chain saw. The last time I paid money for a music CD was about 10 years ago. But pretty much all of my music was country then, and I grew up listening to it. I remember when Charlie Parker was "Coach Charlie Parker" doing sports on Great Country 68, KKYX. :lol

I got tired of spending money when you could listen to it on the radio for free, and I have lost interest further because of the crap they play on the radio. I got tired of the Thompsons yesterday & flipped over to FM... 97.3, & 100.7 were playing Garth Brooks crap at the same time... 100.3 had a Alan Jackson cover of an old Bellamy brothers song that added nothing to the original... and 98.1 was re-running a "best of Sam & Bob bitching" clip...
Well, music is like anything else. You get what you pay for. If you wait for good music on the radio you're going to be disapointed. You can find a lot of good music simply by asking around. I ask Guru of Nothing a lot about music because it turns out he is a quasi guru on something. But I also have the unfair advantadge of dating Jekka and as you can see by her posts in this thread, she knows her shit.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Actually, internet radio is a place to get good music for free.

mookie2001
06-23-2005, 09:00 AM
i like country, just not the stuff you hear on y100, but i consider people like townes van zandt and steve earle country, i also like western swing like bob wills and don walser
pat green sucks people like his stickers and his tshirts better than his music bc he puts the texas flag on all his merchandise, power move pat!
hank jr is about as country as you can get, outlaw country goes hard, when they sing about breaking the law and smoking dope and drifting and being ragged company, i cant stand when they sing about when daddy let me drive and corny shit like that

Spurminator
06-23-2005, 09:13 AM
http://www.cmt.com/shared/media/images/amg_covers/200/drg600/g650/g65091crhvi.jpg

SWC Bonfire
06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
...pat green sucks people like his stickers and his tshirts better than his music bc he puts the texas flag on all his merchandise, power move pat!
hank jr is about as country as you can get, outlaw country goes hard, when they sing about breaking the law and smoking dope and drifting and being ragged company...

Hooray for the Pat Green comments... he is okay live at a free concert when you're drunk... but that's about it. That song about a big balloon makes me want to punch him in the nose on Padre Island.

I also like Hank Jr but can't forgive him for f/u the intro to monday night football.

i cant stand when they sing about when daddy let me drive and corny shit like that

That's all you got in "modern country", and that's all you get in your truck on the FM dial w/o paying for it. Music is really important for some people, I used to be really into it, but I've found that there are other things I'd rather spend/ have to spend my hard earned money on. The lack of quality songs that I hear on the radio is a direct contributor to that attitude.

Ginofan
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
pat green sucks people like his stickers and his tshirts better than his music bc he puts the texas flag on all his merchandise, power move pat!
hank jr is about as country as you can get, outlaw country goes hard, when they sing about breaking the law and smoking dope and drifting and being ragged company, i cant stand when they sing about when daddy let me drive and corny shit like that

Ever since Pat went "main stream" meaning ever since he went to a REAL label, he's been kinda "ehh". I still love him but yeah the new stuff isn't as great as the old stuff.

mookie2001
06-23-2005, 09:54 AM
stickers and tshirts for 18 year olds
thats all he is

gophergeorge
06-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Too Country - From Brad Paisley's "Part II"
(Bill Anderson/Chuck Cannon)
Featured vocals by George Jones, Bill Anderson, and Buck Owens

Too country what's that
Is it like too Republican or too Democrat
Is it too far to the left
Too far to the right
Too straight down the middle
Is it too black or too white

Are the biscuits too fluffy is the chicken too fried
Is the gravy too thick are the peas too black-eyed
Is the iced tea too sweet does it have too much tang
Are there too many lemons in mama's lemon meringue

Too country what's that
It is too many pearls of wisdom under grandpa's old hat
Is it just too old fashioned is it just too antique
Is the question too strong or the answer too weak

Are the roses too red is the sunshine too bright
Are there too many stars in the heavens at night
Are there too many fish that still jump in the stream
Is the blue sky too blue is the clean air too clean

Is the grace too amazing is the steeple too tall
Are there too many "yes sir's", "yes ma'am's"
And "how're y'all's"
Is the message too real too close to the bone
Do the fiddle and steel remind you too much of home
Is honest and true just not in demand
Too country
Too country
Too country
I don't understand

jalbre6
06-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey if you like that you should listen to Loretta Lynns last album Van Lear Rose. Great album, such an infusion with Jack White as producer. It's great.

I'm a huge White Stripes fan, so this sounds like a winner. I'll check it out. Thanks.

T Park
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Gopher,

thats a fantastic duet by Paisley and George Jones.

Paisley keeps it real.

Brad is amazing musician, watch his concerts, his guitar playing is phenomenal.

tlongII
06-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Is T_Park jumping off the country music bandwagon now?

AlamoSpursFan
06-23-2005, 06:56 PM
http://www.countrystarsonline.com/ChrisMacon/images/PutTheOBackInCountry.jpg

3rdCoast
06-23-2005, 07:12 PM
http://www.spursreport.com/forums/images/smilies/bounce.gif