PDA

View Full Version : Cat Owners - Flea baths

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Our cat has fleas and I've used flea spray and rubbed it in and also used those drops on the back of his neck and he still has some. He knows the flea spray bottle and runs when he sees it and puts up a good fight when I do get a chance to hold him down by wrapping a towel around him.
I googled and it said to be prepared for the cat to fight if planning on giving him a bath.
Never had a cat before and now I know why. Never had any problems with our dog and fleas but I just can't seem to get rid of the cats fleas.
I'm seriously thinking about giving the cat up.
Any thoughts?

CuckingFunt
05-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Our cat has fleas and I've used flea spray and rubbed it in and also used those drops on the back of his neck and he still has some. He knows the flea spray bottle and runs when he sees it and puts up a good fight when I do get a chance to hold him down by wrapping a towel around him.
I googled and it said to be prepared for the cat to fight if planning on giving him a bath.
Never had a cat before and now I know why. Never had any problems with our dog and fleas but I just can't seem to get rid of the cats fleas.
Any thoughts?

Indoor or outdoor cat?

If indoor, treat the house.

If outdoor, be vigilant with the Advantage. If you use the good stuff, and stick to a monthly schedule, it works well. But you have to commit to it; it's better at prevention than it is at treatment.

If you have a cat, though, I strongly advise keeping it indoors. Litter boxes aren't a big deal if you keep them clean, and scratching the furniture is typically not a huge deal as long as the cat is well cared for and has other toys/scratching posts to deal with all the extra energy. An indoor cat takes a tiny bit more work (compared to putting a food bowl down and opening the door occasionally), but they have much longer lifespans on average and are FAR less likely to have problems with fleas, worms, or common cat illnesses.

Lastly, if you're one of the bajillion people who got a cat based on the assumption they are self sufficient and can therefore be ignored, do everyone a favor and find it a new home. They don't demand any more attention than do dogs, but for some reason people tend to resent the fact they don't require less.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, indoor cat. Already treated the house and coated him with flea meds. But he still has them. I found a few on his head earlier and he fought while I rubbed in the flea med. He also throws his litter all over the place and I'm constantly having to sweep it up. I don't see this cat in our house much longer. I do think he needs a new home.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
And I'm not sure where he picked up the fleas since he is an indoor cat. He did get out a few times and came back but after a night out. Never had any flea problems with dogs.

Jimcs50
05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
My brothers cat died from those Hartz drops that you place between their shoulder blades.

Get the flea treatment from your vet, not the pet store.

Sportcamper
05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe have the Wifey try giving the boy cat a flea bath…Never had a boy cat enjoy a flea bath but they are often more agreeable with women (IMO)…The female cats I have owned have enjoyed their flea baths…Male cats have scratched the heck out of me…:lol

DeadlyDynasty
05-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Bathe it in vinegar.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Also keep in mind that if you give it a bath, you're going to wash whatever other treatments you've already given out of his fur/off of his skin.

Could it be that you've tried too many things without giving any one of them enough time to work? Not sure. If the problem is fleas, I've never not had Advantage work for regular prevention. Only time I've ever had a bad problem with fleas, in fact (and we're talking BAD), was when I brought a few home from an apartment I had to inspect and they infested my house. Went from no fleas to full on infestation in a matter of a couple of days. But even then, having the house treated professionally knocked it out completely and regular Advantage kept them gone.

leemajors
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
little diatomaceous earth round your doorways couldn't hurt, this spring has been rough for fleas with all the rain.

mrsmaalox
05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes, indoor cat. Already treated the house and coated him with flea meds. But he still has them. I found a few on his head earlier and he fought while I rubbed in the flea med. He also throws his litter all over the place and I'm constantly having to sweep it up. I don't see this cat in our house much longer. I do think he needs a new home.

My cats have never brought home fleas, but I think you just need to be diligent applying the med and washing his bed until they are gone. If he's able to toss the litter out when he scratches around, maybe a deeper box would help. Put one of those litter mats (or any kind of mat with ridges or texture on it) under his litter box, so his paws hit it when he steps out and the mat will trap the litter off his paws and make everything neater.

Be patient with him; he needs you ;)

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
My brothers cat died from those Hartz drops that you place between their shoulder blades.

Those are the ones I used but the more expensive ones. I don't want to spend any more money on this cat.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Also keep in mind that if you give it a bath, you're going to wash whatever other treatments you've already given out of his fur/off of his skin.

Could it be that you've tried too many things without giving any one of them enough time to work? Not sure. If the problem is fleas, I've never not had Advantage work for regular prevention. Only time I've ever had a bad problem with fleas, in fact (and we're talking BAD), was when I brought a few home from an apartment I had to inspect and they infested my house. Went from no fleas to full on infestation in a matter of a couple of days. But even then, having the house treated professionally knocked it out completely and regular Advantage kept them gone.

I had given him treatment by rubbing him down all over with flea med and then after I thought they were gone I used the Advantage and I too thought I needed to give it time but he seems to be scratching and biting more now than before and I don't want no damn flea infestation so it could be bye-bye kitty asap.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't want to spend any more money on this cat.

Then, please, take it to a shelter.

mrsmaalox
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I had given him treatment by rubbing him down all over with flea med and then after I thought they were gone I used the Advantage and I too thought I needed to give it time but he seems to be scratching and biting more now than before and I don't want no damn flea infestation so it could be bye-bye kitty asap.

Maybe the fleas are gone but his skin is itchy from flea bites.

rascal
05-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Any thoughts?

You shouldn't have let it outside. If you are willing to give it up that easy then you aren't close to it and shouldn't own it. Dogs get fleas too. Take a close look and you will see them.

Shastafarian
05-09-2012, 05:54 PM
You have a couple options. Vets will carry (usually) something called Capstar. It kills all adult fleas pretty rapidly (as in around 30 minutes). There is also something called Program for cats that is a development inhibitor, killing more stages of the flea. After those initial treatment(s), you can use monthly flea and tick preventatives. Sentinel, Advantage, and Frontline are all pretty good. But make sure you don't buy expired products!

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
My cats have never brought home fleas, but I think you just need to be diligent applying the med and washing his bed until they are gone. If he's able to toss the litter out when he scratches around, maybe a deeper box would help. Put one of those litter mats (or any kind of mat with ridges or texture on it) under his litter box, so his paws hit it when he steps out and the mat will trap the litter off his paws and make everything neater.

Be patient with him; he needs you ;)

Never had a cat before but the wife took him in when her best friend moved away. Even she says it is time for him to go. We do have one of those litter mats and sometimes this stupid cat lays in his litter box. WTF is up with that!?

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
You shouldn't have let it outside. If you are willing to give it up that easy then you aren't close to it and shouldn't own it. Dogs get fleas too. Take a close look and you will see them.

Yeah, it got outside by accident. You are right, I am not close to this cat and probably never will be. I'm guilty of being a dog lover and of course dogs get fleas too but I've never had any problems controlling them and giving a dog bath is much, much easier.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
He is a cool cat and doesn't bother me at all but I won't stand for fleas. He also jumps on the kitchen table and counters and my dog never did that.

Viva Las Espuelas
We do have one of those litter mats and sometimes this stupid cat lays in his litter box. WTF is up with that!?

Cats are weird. Don't worry about that. When I got my cat he slept in it the first week or so.

CuckingFunt
Never had a cat before but the wife took him in when her best friend moved away. Even she says it is time for him to go. We do have one of those litter mats and sometimes this stupid cat lays in his litter box. WTF is up with that!?

Sleeping/laying in his litter box is abnormal, but not uncommon. It likely means that your cat is looking for a safe or comfortable space to call his own. Which could be the result of something happening in your house, but could also just be because he misses his old home.

If everyone in the house says the cat needs to go, then, again, shelter. Sooner rather than later.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Sleeping/laying in his litter box is abnormal, but not uncommon. It likely means that your cat is looking for a safe or comfortable space to call his own. Which could be the result of something happening in your house, but could also just be because he misses his old home.

If everyone in the house says the cat needs to go, then, again, shelter. Sooner rather than later.

Well his previous owner would put him in his cat cage over night but I didn't like doing that but then found he is a night owl and sleeps all day and then runs around the house all night long. We got him a cat bed and he used it for a day or two and then I caught him peeing in it. So he now just sleeps wherever he wants to. He has been with us for over 4 months and he sheds like crazy as well and we find cat hair everywhere.
I guess I, we are just not made for cats and my youngest wants another dog. Just talked to the wife and the shelter it is.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
He is a cool cat and doesn't bother me at all but I won't stand for fleas. He also jumps on the kitchen table and counters and my dog never did that.

Well, that's a pretty silly benchmark. I don't know a single dog, even those well behaved/trained, who wouldn't be up on any kitchen counter or table they encountered if they could. Most of them just lack the coordination/jumping ability necessary to do so.

rascal
05-09-2012, 06:08 PM

But dogs bark and shit all over the yard and you end up stepping in it if your not out there picking it up every day.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Well his previous owner would put him in his cat cage over night but I didn't like doing that but then found he is a night owl and sleeps all day and then runs around the house all night long. We got him a cat bed and he used it for a day or two and then I caught him peeing in it. So he now just sleeps wherever he wants to. He has been with us for over 4 months and he sheds like crazy as well and we find cat hair everywhere.
I guess I, we are just not made for cats and my youngest wants another dog. Just talked to the wife and the shelter it is.

Think that's the right choice. A lot of the problems you've described, including peeing in his bed and sleeping in the litter box, are the behaviors of an unhappy cat.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Well that was quick

rascal
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM

How old is the cat? Most cats will sleep most of the night when they aren't kittens anymore.

rascal
05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
The cat could also be getting fleas from the dog who is going out everyday.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
But dogs bark and shit all over the yard and you end up stepping in it if your not out there picking it up every day.

For whatever reason, a lot of people are more willing to put effort and money into keeping a happy dog. Cats, perhaps because they're the products of bigger litters and are being bred stray all the time, or because they don't show the obvious loyalty that dogs do, are often thought of as free pets that require little to no work to keep happy and healthy. Which is just wrong. And is the reason everyone thinks cats are fickle hellions.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Cats are nocturnal

rascal
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Cats are cool. They have personalities and are far less work than dogs. They are smarter than people give them credit for. They adapt well and will settle into a routine around your schedule.

rascal
05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Cats are nocturnal

No I have a cat that sleeps most of the night.

clambake
05-09-2012, 06:43 PM
don't do anything rash.

cowboy probably has a recipe!

Shastafarian
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Capstar is pretty inexpensive too. I think it's like $5 for one treatment and animals rarely need a second. But monthly preventatives are needed after.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Cats are nocturnal

Mine aren't. They both sleep on my king sized bed most of the night. If your cat or cats dig you, they will adjust their active period to when you are either most active or are home. Mine are active, happy, and omnipresent from 6P to midnight. They won't do that and stay up all night too, since they typically sleep 16 hrs a day.

The more you engage your cat, the better they behave. I talk to both of mine regularly, pick them up, tease them with a laser pointer, and brush them. One of them actually knows her name and comes when I say it.

Wild Cobra
05-10-2012, 02:40 AM

Yes, be careful. I had a cat get skin cancer from that stuff. I agree, get the more expensive stuff the Vets have.

Wild Cobra
05-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Cats are nocturnal
In nature, because that's when prey is out. Domesticated cats are different.

Wild Cobra
05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Mine aren't. They both sleep on my king sized bed most of the night. If your cat or cats dig you, they will adjust their active period to when you are either most active or are home. Mine are active, happy, and omnipresent from 6P to midnight. They won't do that and stay up all night too, since they typically sleep 16 hrs a day.

The more you engage your cat, the better they behave. I talk to both of mine regularly, pick them up, tease them with a laser pointer, and brush them. One of them actually knows her name and comes when I say it.
My cats understand several words. They actually obey sometimes as well.

rascal
05-10-2012, 03:33 AM
My cat sits on command and gives up his paw in a paw shake.

He also opens desk drawers and looks for his laser toy and will knock the laser toy out of the drawer onto the floor and look at me to play laser with him.

JoeChalupa
05-10-2012, 06:37 AM
The cat could also be getting fleas from the dog who is going out everyday.

We don't have a dog right now.

JoeChalupa
05-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I guess some people are more comfortable with cats and some with dogs. I prefer dogs and yes we pick up his caca because I don't want' to be stepping in it. Our last dog would NOT get on the table and he could do if he wanted to by just climbing up on a chair onto the table. But he knew better and I coulld leave a dog bone up there and he would not go near it.
Our cat is smart and does understand commands and his name very well. Perhaps he is an unhappy cat and deserves a more loving home. I admit I don't play with him like I did our dog and sure can't take him out for a walk like I enjoyed before. I've know from past experiences as a roommate had a cat and while I didn't hate the cat I knew that a cat wasn't for me. Always have had just dogs.
One of my friends suggested I just take him out and let him loose out in the country side but I could never do that. It does make it easier that we are not as emotionally attached to the cat. Told our girls about taking him to the shelter and they just said ok and the first thing they asked is if we were going to get a dog.

Shastafarian
05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
One of my friends suggested I just take him out and let him loose out in the country side but I could never do that.

Um yeah don't ever do that. There are enough feral cats out there that we don't need another. Also, it's pretty cruel. Educate your friend.

lebomb
05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
:rolleyes ............ just leave the cat on the side of the road.

Leetonidas
05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I think you need to put the flea medicine on their backs when they don't have fleas because if they have them and you put it on I don't think it kills them all. You probably will have to go the bath route. Rarely, some cats like it but most likely it will fight you and scratch like crazy :lol just try to not use a loud sprayer/hose/faucet or whatever because that freaks them out. I gave my old cat a bath once...that was an ordeal

Viva Las Espuelas
05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I've never tried it but I've read brewer's yeast is a good flea repellent.

mrsmaalox
05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh well, poor cat :( I suppose the trauma of losing his home, then losing the security of his crate routine was just too much for him to overcome without a little extra nurturing and understanding.

I was the exact kind of dog devotee as Joe described himself until about 7 years ago. I never chose to have cats, we were just kinda forced into helping out a cat in need and ended up having my outlook completely changed. I now have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a bird and 3 kids all living happily inside my house; I love it! Gotta admit, the dogs are STILL my favorite :lol

mrsmaalox
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I've never tried it but I've read brewer's yeast is a good flea repellent.

I know it absolutely works for dogs, but I've never heard of using it for cats. Don't see why it wouldn't work though.

marini martini
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
don't do anything rash.

cowboy probably has a recipe!

:lol

Shastafarian
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I know it absolutely works for dogs, but I've never heard of using it for cats. Don't see why it wouldn't work though.

I've never heard of this treatment. Spend $5 on a pill instead if you want to be sure.

CavsSuperFan
05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't want to spend any more money on this cat.
Sound like you don't want the cat...Why not just get a Pit-Bull...

SpurinDallas
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I brought in a semi-adult stray cat during cold weather in 99. He was with me for all 4 Spurs Titles and would sit on my lap while watching Spurs games AND he liked to drink beer. I'd pour a few drops on the floor and he'd lick it up. He passed away in 2008. Coolest cat that ever lived. Miss that ol' fella.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
You must've had a dirty floor.

SpurinDallas
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
You must've had a dirty floor.

Not really

JudynTX
05-10-2012, 02:42 PM
:( Don't take animals you don't intend to keep forever. Life long committment.

JoeChalupa
05-10-2012, 04:04 PM
:( Don't take animals you don't intend to keep forever. Life long committment.

Meh, I hear ya but sometimes it just don't work out. But I know you are a cat lover. :tu Plus we were helping somebody out.

JoeChalupa
05-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I've never taken a dog to a shelter.

JudynTX
05-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Meh, I hear ya but sometimes it just don't work out. But I know you are a cat lover. :tu Plus we were helping somebody out.

:) I know.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Cats are very in tune with people's moods and attitudes. If you don't give a shit about him, why should he stay off the table/counter?

I'm glad you're taking it to a shelter. Cats aren't like fish that you can just feed and clean up after. They need interaction.

JoeChalupa
05-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Cats are very in tune with people's moods and attitudes. If you don't give a shit about him, why should he stay off the table/counter?

I'm glad you're taking it to a shelter. Cats aren't like fish that you can just feed and clean up after. They need interaction.

I never said I didn't give a shit about him. If that were the case I would have taken a friend's advice and just dumped him out in the country. I've decided to keep him just give him a good cleaning with flea meds and he has gotten better and I had a box of old paperwork that I cleaned out and left it out and he has made a bed out of it and seems comfortable.
He still sheds like crazy though so I put a towel down on my lap before I pet him and I brush him down.
So for so good.