PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: The New Clippers

Venti Quattro
05-10-2012, 05:04 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7909780/the-new-clipper-nation

Long read (what do you expect, it's from Simmons) but a good read about the Clippers' transformation behind Paul and Billups. Also includes anecdotes about del Negro's stupidity.

rayjayjohnson
05-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Ctrl+F "dad"

What? A Simmons article where he doesn't mention his father? Praise the lawd.

CubanMustGo
05-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Seriously, is there some reason an editor doesn't take a virtual red pencil to about 60% of what BS writes? He goes on and on and on and on and repeats the same old schtick all the time.

Bill's columns give new meaning to tl/dr. He has good takes but you have to wade through so much shit to get at them...

J.T.
05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Ctrl+F "dad"

Eh at least the dude has positive memories of his old man. I remember getting my ass kicked the first day at football practice in 7th grade and not wanting to go back but my two time NCAA division 2 champion father threatened to cut my nuts off and I never bitched about football practice again.

Venti Quattro
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Ctrl+F "dad"

You do have a lot of issues with Simmons, RRJ.

scanry
05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7909780/the-new-clipper-nation

Long read (what do you expect, it's from Simmons) but a good read about the Clippers' transformation behind Paul and Billups. Also includes anecdotes about del Negro's stupidity.

It's amazing how Del Negro can continue to have a coaching job in Professional Sports.

It's pretty sad that coaches like Mo Cheeks, Sam Mitchell (I heard he's a scout for the New Jersey Nets now :wow), and plenty more wait on the reigns for another opportunity.

Mark in Austin
05-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Del Negro has a job because he was a half price coach. No league conspiracy. Just cheap ass Donald Sterling being himself.

Venti Quattro
05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
It's amazing how Del Negro can continue to have a coaching job in Professional Sports.

It's pretty sad that coaches like Mo Cheeks, Sam Mitchell (I heard he's a scout for the New Jersey Nets now :wow), and plenty more wait on the reigns for another opportunity.

Sam Mitchell has a gig with NBA TV now, as far as I can recall. But I don't think he's a good coach either.

The funniest part in del Negro's stupidity stories in the article is when the players started quitting on him and he wasn't fired because it was too late to find a decent replacement. That, and the one when they needed freethrow shooters and he forgot that he left Reggie Evans on the floor, and proceeded to burn two timeouts just to inbound the ball. :lol

scanry
05-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Del Negro has a job because he was a half price coach. No league conspiracy. Just cheap ass Donald Sterling being himself.

Thank you. I just read the first para of the article and stopped. The article itself is baggage and he talks about the Clipper's baggage. :lol

scanry
05-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Sam Mitchell has a gig with NBA TV now, as far as I can recall. But I don't think he's a good coach either.

The funniest part in del Negro's stupidity stories in the article is when the players started quitting on him and he wasn't fired because it was too late to find a decent replacement. That, and the one when they needed freethrow shooters and he forgot that he left Reggie Evans on the floor, and proceeded to burn two timeouts just to inbound the ball. :lol

Can't disagree with you on that. However it's amazing how few legit coaches we have in the NBA. Pop, Carlisle, Thibb, Vogel and Doc are the only decent coaches that i can think of right now.

Spurs da champs
05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Thibbs is a regular season champ who overplays his star players, he is an overrated shit coach!

FromWayDowntown
05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
So does Simmons write a reverse jinx tome today? He publishes this and Griffin and Paul both get hurt.

rjv
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
typical simmons, using hyperbole to make his subject either seem more interesting than they actually are (e.g., the clippers that he covers; his beloved celtics) or duller (spurs).

san antonio spurs
05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Eh at least the dude has positive memories of his old man. I remember getting my ass kicked the first day at football practice in 7th grade and not wanting to go back but my two time NCAA division 2 champion father threatened to cut my nuts off and I never bitched about football practice again.

I didn't know you were abused as a child...sorry to hear that

DMC
05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
The Clippers are the Bobcats with a 1st rounder and an influx of ~star players. Nothing more, nothing less. Hell, they aren't even the Clippers any more.

Imagine replacing every player on the Bobcats with a group of pretty decent players and at least 2 all stars.

MattBonnerExperience
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
The Clippers are the Bobcats with a 1st rounder and an influx of ~star players. Nothing more, nothing less. Hell, they aren't even the Clippers any more.

Imagine replacing every player on the Bobcats with a group of pretty decent players and at least 2 all stars.

You could say that about a lot of teams.

DMC
05-10-2012, 06:23 PM
You could say that about a lot of teams.
Sure. So what's so special about the Clippers? It's a name on a franchise that pretty much sucks. Sure, if you put enough talent into any system, they will win games, but they won't win a championship because they lack leadership from owner down to head coach.

Cheryl Miller could coach the Clippers as well as Vinny does, and Mark Cuban as an owner would probably mean they win the West this year (or next at the latest). Of course, Cuban wouldn't hire Miller to coach. They have a roster full of cocky jumpshooters, and a couple athletic bigs that cannot hit a free throw. They play one on one ball until 5 seconds left on the shot clock at which time someone like Mo Williams heaves up a prayer.

As long as Blake and Jordan play that far away from the rim, and the team doesn't know how to set screens and only plays the pick and roll sparingly, they will not win a ring.

manufan10
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Marc Stein ‏ @ESPNSteinLine
Clippers announce that Blake Griffin (sprained left knee) and Chris Paul (strained right hip) are game-time decisions for Game 6 vs. Grizz

Bill Simmons with the reverse jinx. :lol

Venti Quattro
05-10-2012, 07:27 PM
The Clippers are so bad they can't even handle praise right without screwing it up.