PDA

View Full Version : Batum Considering Spurs Among His Options

Duncan2177
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgFzK?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-antonio-spurs

Portland forward Nicolas Batum is interested in considering playing for the Spurs next season, among all of his options if he leaves the Trail Blazers.

Batum told the French-language basketball website Basketsession.com (Hat Tip: Project Spurs.com) that he is considering a wealth of opportunities should he leave Portland.

“San Antonio is an option for me,” Batum told BasketSession. “There are 30 teams in the NBA so I’ll watch and see what can be the best. But San Antonio is clear that it could be something pretty. I do not want to leave Portland, but I’ll watch what is best for me.

“If I can not find a better situation, I’ll stay in Portland but if I find better place elsewhere, I would go. The market will open on July 1, so I really have time to take my time to watch all this. I have 10 teams in mind, but I’ll see.”

Obviously Batum would be a natural to join his teammates with the French National team Tony Parker and Boris Diaw with the Spurs. He posted career-best averages of 13.9 points and 4.6 rebounds during the 2011-12 season with Portland, where he was known for his athleticism and his defense.

But he’s likely to command a big contract. The Spurs are already deep at small forward, although Batum, who turns 24 in December, would give them a talented young player to help continue to turn the roster over.

It will be interesting to see if Batum really would consider coming to San Antonio.

elemento
05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
He may consider San Antonio but our cap space situation says no thanks.

timvp
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
The Spurs' only hope is if Batum signs the one-year qualifying offer with Portland this summer and then signs with the Spurs as a UFA in '13.

roycrikside
05-10-2012, 06:55 PM
why would they possibly be interested? They've got Leonard and Green who are both cheaper and better.

benefactor
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
ble:lolcherrep:lolrt

freetiago
05-10-2012, 06:57 PM
were deep at SG/SF now but in 2/3 years we wont be
we all know ginobili is made of glass and is likely to probably miss half of every season from rest/injuries from now on
danny might leave the team this year
gary might leave next year
and james will leave this year

it still would be overload to have him for 1 year but it would be good for the longterm
ive heard hes gonna get paid though so its not like it matters
would like to see him come here just so we could give the finger to portland again

MR.SILVER&BLack
05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
this again? cant happen till 2013.

Splits
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
All we gotta do is sign Noah and Beaubois and we have the French national team....

Seventyniner
05-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Only if he'll take the MLE and Portland doesn't match. In other words, impossible.

100%duncan
05-10-2012, 07:09 PM
ble:lolcherrep:lolrt

Bruno
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
This quote comes from a TV show where Batum was invited:
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket-hand-volley/basket-beus-batum-un-blazer-taille-patron/recentes/page/1/?sig=44e7314565fs

Batum only brings Spurs name because the journalist ask him specifically about them. Batum was then quite noncommittal by saying he would look at his option and Spurs would be an interesting one. This article sounds like Batum is letting Spurs know he would like to join them but it isn't the case at all.

I'm also not sure Batum deserves to get the $8M or $10M per year he should receive this summer. If Spurs really want to add a french SF, I would rather give Charles Kahudi a try for the minmimum salary. He isn't a good player but he has a true upside as a role player. Bringing back Gelabale or Diawara to the NBA could be worth the try too.

Seventyniner
05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
What about a sign-and-trade for Jax?

benefactor
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I've been waiting that post too.

100%duncan
05-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Funny that you mentioned that...

Paranoid Pop
05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm also not sure Batum deserves to get the $8M or $10M per year he should receive this summer. If Spurs really want to add a french SF, I would rather give Charles Kahudi a try for the minmimum salary. He isn't a good player but he has a true upside as a role player. Bringing back Gelabale or Diawara to the NBA could be worth the try too.

Great points but what about Green? Don't you think he may get close to 8M this summer? If I understood correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) Green is restricted but there's no limit to the offers he can get unlike Lin, right?

If there's a position worth doubling with a good to very good player it's SG given Manu's health.

DMC
05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Interesting in considering? That's just North of unaware.

DJB
05-10-2012, 07:37 PM
If this was 6 months ago, I'd be excited.

Jax/Leonard > Batum

benefactor
05-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Great points but what about Green? Don't you think he may get close to 8M this summer?
:lol

Hooks
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Not happening, the Spurs roster will most likely be the exact same as this years. The only player that might not get resigned is Diaw and that'd be to bring in lorbek.

Bruno
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Great points but what about Green? Don't you think he may get close to 8M this summer? If I understood correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) Green is restricted but there's no limit to the offers he can get unlike Lin, right?

If there's a position worth doubling with a good to very good player it's SG given Manu's health.

Yeah, Green isn't in the same case as Lin. He has been in the NBA for three year and doesn't apply for the Gilbert Arenas rule.

Spurs max offer for Green is a 4 years contract starting around $5.1M with a 7.5% yearly raise. That is to say a $22.7M/4 years contract. If a team offers Green less than that (a full MLE contract is less than that), Spurs will be able to match it. If a team offers Green more than that, Spurs are screwed and won't be able to match it.

Green isn't in fact a fully restricted free agent. If a team with cap space wants him and is ready to give him more than a $5.1M starting salary, Spurs will have nothign to say and will assist powerless to Green leaving them.

mkurts
05-10-2012, 08:05 PM
The way he's playing with Portland ? No thanks

He'd be a good fit with the Bobcats though.

tesseractive
05-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Green isn't in the same case as Lin. He has been in the NBA for three year and doesn't apply for the Gilbert Arenas rule.

Spurs max offer for Green is a 4 years contract starting around $5.1M with a 7.5% yearly raise. That is to say a $22.7M/4 years contract. If a team offers Green less than that (a full MLE contract is less than that), Spurs will be able to match it. If a team offers Green more than that, Spurs are screwed and won't be able to match it.

Green isn't in fact a fully restricted free agent. If a team with cap space wants him and is ready to give him more than a $5.1M starting salary, Spurs will have nothign to say and will assist powerless to Green leaving them.

I really like Danny Green, but would anyone really offer more than $5.1 million for a guard who's an indifferent ball handler at best and can't create his own shot?

Bruno
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I really like Danny Green, but would anyone really offer more than $5.1 million for a guard who's an indifferent ball handler at best and can't create his own shot?

Well, I was more stating the CBA rules than evaluating Danny Green market value. To answers at your question, I don't really know how much money NBA teams will give to Green this summer. He isn't an easy player to evaluate.

Seventyniner
05-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Well, I was more stating the CBA rules than evaluating Danny Green market value. To answers at your question, I don't really know how much money NBA teams will give to Green this summer. He isn't an easy player to evaluate.

Unfortunately, it only takes one team to overpay a guy.

spursfan1000
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
All we gotta do is sign Noah and Beaubois and we have the French national team....

urunobili
05-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Only if Green leaves TBH

DesignatedT
05-10-2012, 10:41 PM
S&T Green and Jack for Batum.

jestersmash
05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Per Hollinger May 9 -

John Hollinger ‏ @johnhollinger
Not sure where this Batum-Spurs nonsense comes from. They'd have to either not re-sign Duncan or amnesty Manu. Not happening.

Not saying I agree with him (I really don't know how to best assess trade rumours), but just thought I'd throw it out there.

jestersmash
05-10-2012, 10:45 PM

13337 posts (don't ruin it by replying to this message :lol)

DesignatedT
05-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Fine. Neal and Jack.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2012, 02:32 AM
keep green and KL, im already liking their progress improvement each game,

as for batum, if he fits and at teh correct price without moving any major pieces, why not....but he seems to be another trevor ariza waiting to happen...

Sildegil
05-11-2012, 04:30 AM
The way he's playing with Portland ? No thanks

He'd be a good fit with the Bobcats though.

Considering the way Green was playing for Cleveland, the way Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson were performing in Charlotte, and how they settled in the spurs system, it would not be wrong to call your reasoning stupid.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2012, 04:43 AM
i think i prefer diaw>batum

very hard to find high iq bigs

ceperez
05-11-2012, 06:04 AM
i think i prefer diaw>batum

very hard to find high iq bigs

Would have liked to have Batum over Hill in the draft. But with KL and Green in the team, not likely Spurs sign Batum.

I agree, I also prefer Diaw over Batum.

Batum for Green and Blair, would be the closest thing to equitable.

DieMrBond
05-11-2012, 06:08 AM
The Spurs are already deep at small forward, although Batum, who turns 24 in December, would give them a talented young player to help continue to turn the roster over.

How weird does it feel to hear somebody say that!?

ginobili fan
05-11-2012, 06:39 AM
wait...deep at small forward ???

mountainballer
05-11-2012, 07:31 AM
what the Blazers would do, is S&T Batum and trade him for Sjax and Leonard.
not saying Spurs should do it.
but that's how realistic deals are discussed.
(if they see that Batum will leave and they look for a S&T, there will be better offers than all the mentioned Sjax plus whoever not named Leonard)

is Batum better than Leonard? if no, forget about Batum.

mkurts
05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Considering the way Green was playing for Cleveland, the way Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson were performing in Charlotte, and how they settled in the spurs system, it would not be wrong to call your reasoning stupid.

Well if Batum is considered underperforming material with potential, perhaps my 'reasoning' would be stupid, but its common sense to see that he's already hit his ceiling with Portland, and it wasn't very good, and no he wouldn't do any better than what Leonard is doing now.

And just because the other players formerly from Charlotte, (not withstanding that Jax played for Spurs before he went to the Bobcats), did well within Pop's system, does not mean Batum will automatically fit within the Spurs system which is trying to go back to defense fundamentals (Batum plays very little defense). Now your reasoning on that is utterly idiotic and naive to say the very least.

Only morons lust after Batum - the key issue in the offseason is still to find above average big men to complement the frontcourt while re-signing Diaw, if he still contributes like he does now.

:flag:

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
i dont wanna give up depth for one person, if its scrubs like the turd towers...then yes

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Well if Batum is considered underperforming material with potential, perhaps my 'reasoning' would be stupid, but its common sense to see that he's already hit his ceiling with Portland, and it wasn't very good, and no he wouldn't do any better than what Leonard is doing now.

Only morons lust after Batum - the key issue in the offseason is still to find above average big men to complement the frontcourt while re-signing Diaw, if he still contributes like he does now.

i dunno if portland wants him to be 1st optiono on offense, his not that type of player that could put up volume points, im tellin yah this is like another trevor arisa scenerio where the rockets overpaid for him expecting him to be franchise or 1st option which he didnt deliver....

no way batum is worth the money whatever his seeking for a player that will be behind tp, td, gino on offensive touches....

_jin
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Bringing back Gelabale or Diawara to the NBA could be worth the try too.
I think Gelabale could have some value in the league if given the chance (but I doubt it will happen given his history with injuries and he's been pretty much forgotten in the league)
But Diawara, come on. I'm French and I root for all french players, but I'm ashamed about him. Even Petro is a better player. The guy doesn't do anything, no effort, can't pass, doesn't rebound, doesn't defend, can't score. All he does is shooting 3, at a 30% rate... I'm not a Hollinger follower but he labelled him as the worst player in the league couple years ago and I can only agree with this.

mkurts
05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
i dunno if portland wants him to be 1st optiono on offense, his not that type of player that could put up volume points, im tellin yah this is like another trevor arisa scenerio where the rockets overpaid for him expecting him to be franchise or 1st option which he didnt deliver....

no way batum is worth the money whatever his seeking for a player that will be behind tp, td, gino on offensive touches....

Batum is a streaky shooter who has his moments and thrives as a second or third scoring option, while not playing much defense. We don't need that at all as the team has plenty of offense with a deep bench too.

He simply isn't worth the money and the notion to trade Jax or Leonard or Green for Batum is just plain dumb.

Sildegil
05-11-2012, 08:23 AM

And just because the other players formerly from Charlotte, (not withstanding that Jax played for Spurs before he went to the Bobcats), did well within Pop's system, does not mean Batum will automatically fit within the Spurs system which is trying to go back to defense fundamentals (Batum plays very little defense). Now your reasoning on that is utterly idiotic and naive to say the very least.

Batum is exactly the kind of player who would fit in Spurs system. His mentality is somehow very close to Diaw's. He is unselfish to the point it is sometimes mindblowing. He also has high BBIQ. His confidence is in shumble atm and he definitly needs to be coached by someone like pop.

If you had seen him play for Portland before their implosion and/or for France, it would be obvious even for someone like you. Apparantly you didn't.

His celling is probably not as high as people thought during his first years (Pippen...), but saying it is what we saw in Portland this year, is plain dumb. But I am not anymore surprised by this kind of analyse coming from you.

NRHector
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
wow!!! now players are intrested to sign with the Spurs

coachmac87
05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Batum> Green..Batum and Leonard on the wing is about as long as you get...

TheCerebral1
05-11-2012, 12:11 PM
At this point Diaw is a the priority. Finding a big in the draft would be nice. Who knows maybe a trade into the first round again. No one expected Kawhi Leonard. I like the games of Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard just fine. I would love to add someone like Draymond Green over spending too much on Batum. I like a lot of things in Batums game.

ALVAREZ6
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Good player, bad timing. Spurs have 3 solid SFs at the moment, a year or two from here though would be perfect as Jackson will be done most likely.

sexinthatsx
05-11-2012, 12:36 PM
wow!!! now players are intrested to sign with the Spurs

It's no surprise that players tend to flock to winning teams. I'm sure players always had the desire to sign with the spurs, it's just that the spurs didn't haev any cap space to accommodate them

Big P
05-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Per Hollinger May 9 -

John Hollinger ‏ @johnhollinger
Not sure where this Batum-Spurs nonsense comes from. They'd have to either not re-sign Duncan or amnesty Manu. Not happening.

Not saying I agree with him (I really don't know how to best assess trade rumours), but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Where's the nonsense coming from? From Batum himself.

Seventyniner
05-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Good player, bad timing. Spurs have 3 solid SFs at the moment, a year or two from here though would be perfect as Jackson will be done most likely.

Good point. If he really wants to come to SA, but still get paid well, he could just sign a 2-year contract that leaves him a UFA for 2014.

SenorSpur
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I like Batum a lot - always have - but I wouldn't pursue him for 8-10 mil per season. Besides, there's no way the Spurs would have that kind of cash available anyway.

For once, I like how the Spurs are stacked at the swing position.

I'd prefer the Spurs concentrate their efforts on targeting a young, athletic, PF/C type of player. Doing so will be very difficult

Spurtacus
05-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Portland will match the best offer the Spurs can give.

Priority for Spurs should be to resign Duncan, Diaw, Green. That will pretty much be the Spurs '12 offseason.

therealtruth
05-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I like Batum a lot - always have - but I wouldn't pursue him for 8-10 mil per season. Besides, there's no way the Spurs would have that kind of cash available anyway.

For once, I like how the Spurs are stacked at the swing position.

I'd prefer the Spurs concentrate their efforts on targeting a young, athletic, PF/C type of player. Doing so will be very difficult

Batum is a good option later on when Manu decides to call it quits.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Good defensive player. Passive on offense. Guy has Richard Jefferson written all over him.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 07:10 AM

So, we just finished trading passivity for swagger, and you want to undo that by trading swagger for passivity?

jag
05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Good defensive player. Passive on offense. Guy has Richard Jefferson written all over him.

Yeah... no

BackHome
05-12-2012, 11:25 AM

+1 Plus he does not player with heart....

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah... no

Yeah...yeah.

lmbebo
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
won't happen. I think he'd love to play with Parker (+/- if Diaw is kept).

But he wants/will command too much money. Doesn't really fit in with the spurs long term plans.

InK
05-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Dont see how we could make space for him, but he would be great on this team.

InK
05-12-2012, 12:00 PM

Yeh rite, he is exactly like RJ :lol:lol

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 12:00 PM
I just love how a 10ppg 4 rpg career player wants 8 figures per year.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeh rite, he is exactly like RJ :lol:lol

Kind of an insult to RJ, tbh. He was a MUCH better player after 4 years than Batum is.

I see the same passivity, though. It drove Nate McMillan to distraction and caused multiple benchings.

InK
05-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Kind of an insult to RJ, tbh. He was a MUCH better player after 4 years than Batum is.

I see the same passivity, though. It drove Nate McMillan to distraction and caused multiple benchings.

Yep if Batum was offered by the Blazers in exchange for RJ few months ago, Spurs FO would be outraged at that insult. And rightfully so :rollin

Beaverfuzz
05-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Batum is a good player but he's not worth the big time money. Going to need a big man before we need someone along the lines of Batum.

spursfaninla
05-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Leonard is our starting SF.

SJax is our main bench SF.

Green fills in at the 3 when we go small, but earlier in the year, before we had SJAX and RJ sucked, he was getting more minutes I think.

at 82games.com,
Leonard takes 46% of the sf minutes, SJAX takes 16%, and Green takes 19% of the sf minutes.

was the sf for 41 minutes with the following unit:
parker, neal, green, bonner, splitter.
Green was sf for 31.8 minutes with:
neal anderson green bonner splitter
green was sf for about 52 minutes (combined) with:
joseph or parker, neal, green, bonner, duncan (or splitter)

So, Green was used at sf many times in 3 guard lineups. It allowed green to get more minutes that he would have otherwise, because manu is going to get about 25-30 minutes, so that limits green to about 15-20 minutes unless he steals minutes at the 4.

Long-term, however, I see Leonard getting more minutes at the 3, and SJAX taking the rest. Green is not getting many minutes in the future at the 3.

I love SJAX, but he is pretty old. His expiring contract next year will be tantalizing for many teams. Thinking for the future, you have to consider the possibility of his being involved in a trade for a younger player.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Yep if Batum was offered by the Blazers in exchange for RJ few months ago, Spurs FO would be outraged at that insult. And rightfully so :rollin

RIF. Jefferson is a shell of that 4th year player he was. Not comparing him now to Batum now. The point is they are both VERY passive. If Jefferson, as good as he was, can fall of a cliff, you want no part of Batum in the future. After four years, he is what he is.

Venti Quattro
05-12-2012, 08:49 PM
lol San Antoine Spoirs

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
lol Saint Antoine Spoirs

fify

Venti Quattro
05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
fify

lol yeah, stupid of me. San is Spanish.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-12-2012, 09:21 PM
lol yeah, stupid of me. San is Spanish.

Well, the pronunciation is basically the same.

8.5/10

Stabula
05-13-2012, 04:34 AM
It's funny how we talk about athletes the way slave owners would talk about their slaves. Most of these guys are probably the descendants of slaves too.

GSH
05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
It doesn't change the Spurs' salary cap situation, but I really get the impression that Batum wants out of Portland. I think he'd like to come to SA, but if he's really going to get this kind of payday, it's not happening:

According to the agent for Portland Trail Blazers forward, Nicolas Batum, they will not be holding off on deals to allow the Trail Blazers to sign a couple of free agents before the team tends to his client, who's a restricted free agent. “The first good offer we get, we're going with that,” Bouna Ndiaye of Comsport Management told CSNNW.com. “We're not waiting for anything

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batum-not-doing-Blazers-any-favors-will-=1&blockID=708138&feedID=5212