PDA

View Full Version : REAL email interaction with racist realtor and my wife

Creepn
05-10-2012, 10:54 PM
We are moving back to Dallas so were in the process looking for a temporary place before we upgrade. Here is a real email transaction between my wife and the realtor. She felt really offended by the response of the email and sent it to me. Is she right to be offended?

Hello Rebekah,
I appreciate your prompt response! Unfortunately I won't qualify for the tax credit program unless the income requirement is higher for a family. My gross income is $---,--- annually. I like both styles, loft and garden. I like living in a high rise because you don't have random people knocking on your door. I am definitely open though. What were the prices for Ambrose? I actually won't be back in town until the 19th, so I was hoping to have things in place by then

Do you go out and see properties for clients? I ask because I found a house online that only has picture of the outside and I would love to see what the inside looks like before it gets leased.

Thanks for you help!
--------------------------------------------
yes I do! send the address and I will walk it! the Internet is so scary, thanks for your trust,I will not steer you wrong!

I know this process is not fun, especially with the pricing system in play, and houses on-line are hit or miss. may be more space, for less $, but I need to assure the landlord isnt' selling it to the bank anytime soon, and the maintenance/security of these is not great most of the time to be honest from seeing awful things over the last 4 years. people having to move twice in 6 months, this gets expensive

we will find it, but I always recommend managed versus a landlord for this reason alone
---------------------------------
That would be great, the property is being managed by --- realty, I spoke with ----- today his direct number is -------. It won't be ready available until June 1, but that's ok. The address is --------. If they allow you, would you mind taking some photos?
You're the greatest!
--------------------------------

this property is south of 30 in true Oak Cliff, so this area is what you want? just need to triple check...I unfortunately do not lease or work south of I-30 . The only neighborhood I work is the Bishops Arts near Kessler Park. So do you happen to have any friends or family that know the 75211 zip code because its new to me?

built in 1951, 3-bed house with a 2 car garage,listed for $1095. The agent did not place any interior photos inside on-line which is a red flag...let me see if he can e-mail us more. but honestly this area is just a bit outside my specialty and with the rent being so low for a house I do not for see it being nice Your feedback? I hope I am not offending you, just being direct.

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 10:59 PM
What part of that was racist?

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Well South Oak Cliff is a predominantly black area. She was eager to go all over town for my wife to look at houses for her until she came across a house in Oak Cliff. She doesn't cross over that line. She automatically assumed the house would be trashy because of the area.

I. Hustle
05-10-2012, 11:03 PM
What a racist pos.

Greedy Grove over here! What up?!

I. Hustle
05-10-2012, 11:03 PM

mrsmaalox
05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
It's racist to admit you don't know a certain area? I thought most realtors had a "specialty area" they work.

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Well South Oak Cliff is a predominantly black area. She was eager to go all over town for my wife to look at houses for her until she came across a house in Oak Cliff. She doesn't cross over that line. She automatically assumed the house would be trashy because of the area.
Not even trying to troll but I think you're overreacting. She said that for that price, the house probably isn't nice. For a 3 bed house w/ a 2 car garage, that seems pretty accurate given the price and the fact they don't post pictures of the inside.

It's also common for Realtors to have an area they specialize in. She probably also didn't expect your wife to ask her to check out a house in Oak Cliff after your wife mentioned a 6 figure income. If at the start your wife said she was looking for a rental in Oak Cliff, I bet the Realtor would have said right off the bat that she doesn't work in that kind of area.

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
It's racist to admit you don't know a certain area? I thought most realtors had a "specialty area" they work.

Yes, but she was willing to go out of her area to see houses for my wife. Then when she mentioned a house in Oak Cliff, all of the sudden its out of her "specialty area". Why is that?

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes, but she was willing to go out of her area to see houses for my wife. Then when she mentioned a house in Oak Cliff, all of the sudden its out of her "specialty area". Why is that?
Are you sure she ever said she was willing to go outside "her area" to your wife? Chances are after your wife gave her background information (most notably the income part) she didn't think your wife would want her looking at a house in Oak Cliff.

In this market Realtors will take anything they can get. When she said to your wife that the house probably wasn't nice inside, she was trying to save her time and your wife's time knowing that your wife probably wouldn't want that house. If she thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of you two signing a lease for that house and her getting a commission she woulda looked into it. Also, it's not racist to assume that the interior of a house in a poorer area isn't as nice. That's just the nature of things.

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Not even trying to troll but I think you're overreacting. She said that for that price, the house probably isn't nice. For a 3 bed house w/ a 2 car garage, that seems pretty accurate given the price and the fact they don't post pictures of the inside.

It's also common for Realtors to have an area they specialize in. She probably also didn't expect your wife to ask her to check out a house in Oak Cliff after your wife mentioned a 6 figure income. If at the start your wife said she was looking for a rental in Oak Cliff, I bet the Realtor would have said right off the bat that she doesn't work in that kind of area.

Pictures of the insides of a house doesn't get posted because there may be new appliances as well. If she agreed to go look at houses for her, shouldn't the realtor keep those opinions to herself and let my wife make the decision? There are some nice houses in Oak Cliff and the area is not all ghetto. She is wrong to assume that the house is trashy just because it's in a pre-dominantly black neighborhood no?

mrsmaalox
05-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Where does she say she is willing to go out of her area? Did you not post that email? Cuz you what you posted has your wife asking if she "goes out and sees properties for clients" not if she goes "out of her area" or if she's willing to "go to any area".

IWantsACuatro
05-10-2012, 11:13 PM
E-thugs telling her they'd fuck her shit up if they ever saw her over there tbh.

But for real, she's wanting you to get the most bang out of your buck, and probably thinks that neighborhood isn't right for your goals.

It'd be racist if she suggested South Oak Cliff to start :lol.

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Where does she say she is willing to go out of her area? Did you not post that email? Cuz you what you posted has your wife asking if she "goes out and sees properties for clients" not if she goes "out of her area" or if she's willing to "go to any area".

Yes she gave a list of houses in another reply that were out of her area but said she would look at them anyway. Also why would she say "I hope I'm not offending you" if there was nothing possibly offensive?

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:19 PM
E-thugs telling her they'd fuck her shit up if they ever saw her over there tbh.

But for real, she's wanting you to get the most bang out of your buck, and probably thinks that neighborhood isn't right for your goals.

It'd be racist if she suggested South Oak Cliff to start :lol.

Yeah, I could see both sides. It humored me more than offended me. Only thing that upset me was that I would've liked to see the inside of the house.

mavs>spurs
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
there probably just isn't that much profit in it for her for houses in that neighborhood so she simply just isn't familiar with it. why is that hard to believe? leave it to black people to think everything is racist :lol

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Pictures of the insides of a house doesn't get posted because there may be new appliances as well. If she agreed to go look at houses for her, shouldn't the realtor keep those opinions to herself and let my wife make the decision? There are some nice houses in Oak Cliff and the area is not all ghetto. She is wrong to assume that the house is trashy just because it's in a pre-dominantly black neighborhood no?
As a college student I've done extensive rental hunting annually the last few years and 99 times out of 100, when the ad doesn't have any pictures of the interior, it's because the interior is a dump. If the house has new appliances, the owner is going to want to be advertising that as a selling point for renters.

Also, the realtor's job is to give her opinion on something she's supposed to have knowledge on. While she agreed to look at houses for your wife, her job is to also tell your wife there's little chance a house is worth looking into if that's what she truly thinks.

While the neighborhood is predominantly black, that's not why its reasonable to assume the house is trashy. It's poorer area than probably what the realtor specializes in and poorer areas mean dumpier houses. Like I said, if the realtor thought there might be a chance you two would sign a lease for the house and she'd get a commission, she would have gone to look at it even if she was racist and terrified of black people. Realtors don't have potential customers lining up outside their office these days.

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Also why would she say "I hope I'm not offending you" if there was nothing possibly offensive?
Because she didn't want to come off as pretentious or pompous, she simply wanted to say that she doesn't work in that area and won't make an exception in this case.

As already mentioned, it woulda been 1000x more racist if she suggested to your wife a house in Oak Cliff after your wife told her her income. The realtor would have told a white person the same thing if the white person wanted to look at a house in Oak Cliff with a 6 figure income.

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:26 PM
As a college student I've done extensive rental hunting annually the last few years and 99 times out of 100, when the ad doesn't have any pictures of the interior, it's because the interior is a dump. If the house has new appliances, the owner is going to want to be advertising that as a selling point for renters.

Also, the realtor's job is to give her opinion on something she's supposed to have knowledge on. While she agreed to look at houses for your wife, her job is to also tell your wife there's little chance a house is worth looking into if that's what she truly thinks.

While the neighborhood is predominantly black, that's not why its reasonable to assume the house is trashy. It's poorer area than probably what the realtor specializes in and poorer areas mean dumpier houses. Like I said, if the realtor thought there might be a chance you two would sign a lease for the house and she'd get a commission, she would have gone to look at it even if she was racist and terrified of black people. Realtors don't have potential customers lining up outside their office these days.

Hmm...

Ok so explain the last part. Why does she say that she hopes she doesn't offend if there is nothing to be offended about? They never spoke and my wife doesn't have one of those ghetto black names either.

Edit: just read your previous post.

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:29 PM
I'd have to say that you convinced me for now Goran. I'm going to convey this to my wife because she says she no longer wants to work with her anymore.

Goran Dragic
05-10-2012, 11:32 PM
And while I tried explaining it the Realtor didn't make much sense saying "I hope I'm not offending you." Chances are Realtor saw a woman with a 6 figure income hoping your wife was retarded with her money and wanted to rent an extremely luxurious home. When she saw that wasn't the case she probably regretted being as outgoing as she initially was. When Realtors act unusually nice there's an ulterior motive :lol. Additionally it requires no post-high school education to become a Realtor and the test they have to pass is a joke. Some of the dumbest people in this country are in the Real Estate business.

Sec24Row7
05-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Why did your wife tell her how much she makes? I mean... she could have just said "I made to much to qualify for that"

Creepn
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Why did your wife tell her how much she makes? I mean... she could have just said "I made to much to qualify for that"

I don't know really. Maybe she thought the realtor knows some tax program for her income bracket. I don't know and she's sleep right now for me to ask her.

Wild Cobra
05-10-2012, 11:50 PM
built in 1951, 3-bed house with a 2 car garage,listed for $1095. The agent did not place any interior photos inside on-line which is a red flag...let me see if he can e-mail us more. but honestly this area is just a bit outside my specialty and with the rent being so low for a house I do not for see it being nice Your feedback? I hope I am not offending you, just being direct.
Is she on commission based on price? Maybe she really does see it as a red flag, being so cheap for rent.

You can find racism if you look for it. I suggest you stop looking.

blizz
05-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Get over it. Always lookin for something to use to play THE card.

MannyIsGod
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Not racist. At all.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Self oppression is a bitch

Creepn
05-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Get over it. Always lookin for something to use to play THE card.

I wouldn't say she was looking for it. It's just how she took it.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-11-2012, 12:03 AM
And tons of beaners live there, flapjack.

Creepn
05-11-2012, 12:05 AM
And tons of beaners live there, flapjack.

Sure but when people think Oak Cliff they think "black" or "hood". Shit I know I do.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Then you're apart of the problem. And beware. Whitey is moving back

Creepn
05-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Then you're apart of the problem. And beware. Whitey is moving back

lol I'm a part of the problem because I think Oak Cliff is black and hood? Have you been down there? DEFINITELY a predominantly black area and not quite the safest area to live, I don't know who you are trying to fool. Anyway, I don't care if "whitey" is moving back. Why should I be aware of this?

ploto
05-11-2012, 07:16 AM
lol I'm a part of the problem because I think Oak Cliff is black and hood? Have you been down there? DEFINITELY a predominantly black area and not quite the safest area to live, I don't know who you are trying to fool. Anyway, I don't care if "whitey" is moving back. Why should I be aware of this?

So, you are offended that the realtor did not want to spend her time going to look at a house in an area that you yourself call the hood and unsafe?

The realtor probably made all those promises of looking at houses when she thought you were going to be spending more on rent. IIRC, they usually make a commission equal to one month's rent, and that is all. She did not want to waste her time going to look at a house and take interior pictures when you are no going to want it. She figured someone making that income would not want to live in that area.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Ridiculous... IMO both of you need to lighten the fuck up. Not everything is racially motivated. Its shit like this that give real racists ammunition to excuse their bullshit, when black people just jump at the chance to get offended by every little thing.

MannyIsGod
05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Sure but when people think Oak Cliff they think "black" or "hood". Shit I know I do.

Its obvious you do because you're completely projecting YOUR view of the suburb on something the realtor said. Says more about you than the realtor, tbh.

Big Worm
05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
"I hope I am not offending you, just being direct." = CYA

thispego
05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
there probably just isn't that much profit in it for her for houses in that neighborhood so she simply just isn't familiar with it. why is that hard to believe? leave it to black people to think everything is racist :lol

don't you live in tha SOC?

Creepn
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
So, you are offended that the realtor did not want to spend her time going to look at a house in an area that you yourself call the hood and unsafe?

The realtor probably made all those promises of looking at houses when she thought you were going to be spending more on rent. IIRC, they usually make a commission equal to one month's rent, and that is all. She did not want to waste her time going to look at a house and take interior pictures when you are no going to want it. She figured someone making that income would not want to live in that area.

Not all of Oak Cliff is hood. They have mansions over there as well and beautiful huge homes cheap as hell. As a realtor, she should know that. I really don't think it was her place to come to that conclusion for us that the house was going to be trashy because of the rep Oak Cliff has and to think which house is best for our money. Maybe that house was actually best for our money even if it's in a bad neighborhood. She was willing to go all over town but she doesn't want to go to THAT part of town. What if my wife made her seeand take pictures of all the other houses that were on the "clean" side and declined all of those?

manufan10
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
You know what they says when you assume, but this time it's just you.

Creepn
05-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Its obvious you do because you're completely projecting YOUR view of the suburb on something the realtor said. Says more about you than the realtor, tbh.

You can look at the crime stats there and see that it's not quite the safest place in Dallas to live but we were willing to take that sacrifice in turn for a huge house for dirt cheap. We also have in mind that not all of Oak Cliff is like that. I could see both ways that the realtor didn't want to waste her time on a cheap house or quite simply that maybe she didn't want to ride around in a "trashy" neighborhood. She shouldn't have suggested she would go outside of her area and then change her mind because she doesn't cross that "border". She should've just done her job.

Trill Clinton
05-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Creepn, I see where you're coming from but I don't think she was intentionally trying to be racist. It's a well known fact that a lot of white people are racist and are aware of their white privilege, so they'll say/do things to push our buttons. I don't think she is one of those whites.

In this case I think she meant well but her racist subconscious came out and said something insensitive to you and your wife. Sorta like michael richards with the N word rant, bad example. Take it as a lesson learned and only do business with black realtors from now on.

DPG21920
05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Take it as a lesson learned and only do business with black realtors from now on.

"Hi, I have some lovely places to show you"

"The first place is a fully renovated 1B,1B in a very up-and-coming neighborhood"

http://donklephant.com/wp-content/uploads/prison-cell.jpg

"Now on this one you have to share my vision; it's a bit of a fixer-upper as its a short-sell"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Alcatraz_prison_cell.jpg

"This may be slightly out of your budget but I wanted to show you since it meets all of your demands. Perfect to raise a family"

http://frecklescassie.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/prison-cell-baby-child.jpg

/fake racist

Creepn
05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Creepn, I see where you're coming from but I don't think she was intentionally trying to be racist. It's a well known fact that a lot of white people are racist and are aware of their white privilege, so they'll say/do things to push our buttons. I don't think she is one of those whites.

In this case I think she meant well but her racist subconscious came out and said something insensitive to you and your wife. Sorta like michael richards with the N word rant, bad example. Take it as a lesson learned and only do business with black realtors from now on.

Yeah I think that's a main issue black people faces nowadays. White people would say some stupid insensitive shit but don't realize that they are being offensive and it wasn't their intention to offend either. Me and my wife both had co-workers like that. They would bring up some stereotype and would try to debate it from that standpoint. Then afterwards they think all is well and send friend request on facebook or something.

Creepn
05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
lol @dpg

DPG21920
05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
That shows you those people aren't seeing race, just people. It's you projecting IMO.

thispego
05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
REAL email interaction with racist realtor and my wife

:lmao

Creepn
05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
That shows you those people aren't seeing race, just people. It's you projecting IMO.

Oh please, so if Wild Cobra in real life told me his reasons he doesn't see black surgeons, I shouldn't be offended?

Al Sharpton
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh, she sees race alright. Maybe not in a totally racist way but she sees it.

DPG21920
05-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm not saying there aren't racists, just that what you described sounded like what I said.

jjktkk
05-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Op, if you want to find an example of racism, here it is brah, from your boy Trill. :toast

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah I think that's a main issue black people faces nowadays. White people would say some stupid insensitive shit but don't realize that they are being offensive and it wasn't their intention to offend either. Me and my wife both had co-workers like that. They would bring up some stereotype and would try to debate it from that standpoint. Then afterwards they think all is well and send friend request on facebook or something.

:lol

yeah that, or MAYBE you and your wife are being overly sensitive and coincidentally playing to the black stereotype perfectly. Congrats on that

ginobili's bald spot
05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Not even slightly racist.

#1 Real estate agents usually have areas that they specialize in. This is for your benefit as they will be more knowledgeable about the neighborhood.

#2 If Oak Cliff is the hood then there isn't going to be as much commission in it for her. It's pretty straight forward to see why she wouldn't be very motivated to work in that area. You seem to have a complex about racism.

ginobili's bald spot
05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Op, if you want to find an example of racism, here it is brah, from your boy Trill. :toast

This.

z0sa
05-11-2012, 04:01 PM
notsureifserious.jpg

IWantsACuatro
05-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Creepn's been around Trill too long. I want that shit yall are smokin.

Creepn
05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
:lol

yeah that, or MAYBE you and your wife are being overly sensitive and coincidentally playing to the black stereotype perfectly. Congrats on that

Nah, here's an example of a conversation with a white co-worker:

"Black people shouldn't waste their time with sunblock because their dark skin prevents them from sun damage and cancer." After explaining that is simply not true, they still hold on to their position by saying even more stupider shit like, "Never heard of a slave that developed skin cancer".

And then they send a friend request lol.

Trill Clinton
05-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Please, sir, have a seat \_

I don't recall you pointing out racism when its against blacks and hispanics, which is all the time. If its because that's how things are then leave me be...and there was nothing racist in the post you quoted. Soon as a brotha makes a "racist" comment about white folk ya'll want to get upset and throw a fit.:wakeup

DMC
05-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Pretty sure only an overly sensitive race card user would ever find anything racist in that.

MannyIsGod
05-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Seriously, it really is you projecting. You can talk about any other situation you want and you can bring up her doing her job but none of that will ever make that a racist email exchange. Be a bit introspective about why you jumped to that conclusion.

I've been accused of pulling the race card way too easily or making things about race on this forum plenty of times before and nothing comes even close to striking me as racist of that email exchange. That realtor might be burning crosses with a white hood on the weekends and nothing form that email tells you that.

MannyIsGod
05-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Seriously, it really is you projecting. You can talk about any other situation you want and you can bring up her doing her job but none of that will ever make that a racist email exchange. Be a bit introspective about why you jumped to that conclusion.

I've been accused of pulling the race card way too easily or making things about race on this forum plenty of times before and nothing comes even close to striking me as racist of that email exchange. That realtor might be burning crosses with a white hood on the weekends and nothing form that email tells you that.

ploto
05-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Actually, it is part of her job to suggest the best places for you to rent.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Creep...

You need to really think about what is and what isn't racist. If you keep being that boy who cries wolf, when it really happens, nobody will believe you.

heasnJY8HMM

Creepn
05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Creep...

You need to really think about what is and what isn't racist. If you keep being that boy who cries wolf, when it really happens, nobody will believe you.

heasnJY8HMM

:rolleyes Calm down. In my original post I stated this as a QUESTION to get opinions. I only replied in defense of the question for the sake of discussion. I already stated that it didn't bother me.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Nah, here's an example of a conversation with a white co-worker:

"Black people shouldn't waste their time with sunblock because their dark skin prevents them from sun damage and cancer." After explaining that is simply not true, they still hold on to their position by saying even more stupider shit like, "Never heard of a slave that developed skin cancer".

And then they send a friend request lol.

Wow, what oppression. i am sure that he was worried worried that you were trying to steal his sunblock.

Creepn
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Wow, what oppression. i am sure that he was worried worried that you were trying to steal his sunblock.

I was eyeing his cocoa butter tbh.