PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, Pistons Quotes from Wednesday

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:47 PM
LARRY BROWN

Q. We just asked Chauncey sort of the flipside of this question, but if tomorrow turns out to be your last game as a coach, how would you like to be remembered?
COACH BROWN: No, I don't even want to think about that. I mean, this is about the players. Pop and I talked about this when the series started. You know, this has been an unbelievable experience for me this whole playoff run, but it's also been kind of hard because one of your dearest friends is coaching.
But this is all about the players. It was obvious last night, so I don't even want to think about that.

Q. We always ask the players, you know, how are you going to respond in this kind of moment, how is it different for you in this kind of moment. What about for coaches in terms of your own emotions going into a game like this, never mind what happens after the season, but just trying to win this particular game. Does it change the way you go into it tomorrow?
COACH BROWN: No. I was in such awe last night just watching what those guys did. Because one, I think the team we're playing is great. They are unbelievably well coached. But, you know, to come in here, I think everybody kept asking the same question, how are we going to get ourselves ready to play in Game 6? And then I just marvelled at their enthusiasm and their effort and the fact that they cared so much that I could have handled almost anything last night.
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. I think it's great for the league, and it will be a wonderful experience being part of that.
So it's only good. It's like The Finals of the NCAA. Unfortunately in our country, they only remember the winning team, but I have a lot of admiration for both teams and what's going on.

Q. In this kind of game, a lot of people have said the home court advantage is what you play all year for, but when it's a Game 7 at this magnitude, that kind of gets muted somewhat because both teams face the same consequence. Do you buy that at all?
COACH BROWN: I hope so. (Smiling).
You know, I don't even really think about that last night. I told my team, pretend that noise is for you. But to realize how long this has gone and what sacrifices people have had to make, you hate to see anybody lose. And I really don't think there will be a loser coming out of this. I'm just hopeful that both teams play great.
I looked at, you know, in Game 5, they won the game because they made plays. And as disappointed as we might have been, losing, and I look down there, I said, hey, Pop and I talked about it, they made shots, we didn't make shots late.
In last night's game, same thing, we made plays at the end of the game and we won. So hopefully that will be the case tomorrow.

Q. Specifically in terms of tomorrow's game, but also encompassing the last two years, how are you a good fit for this group of players, and also, how is this group of players a good fit for you?
COACH BROWN: Well, I think anybody would be a good fit for my group. I think you've got to think about what Joe did, one, hiring Rick Carlisle. The points of emphasis, the things that he encouraged, defense, team play, respecting your teammates; they were all in place when I got there.
I think the coach in that locker room would allow any coach that cares about the game and just cares about coaching to just step in and be comfortable. You know, my whole thing is the hardest thing I think in today, with today's game, is getting players to understand there's a difference between coaching and criticism. These guys allow me to coach. So that's all I ever want to do. They have allowed me to do that.
So that's why I feel like for me this is a perfect situation. And again, don't take this wrong, I've been fortunate in my career that I've had that opportunity in a lot of places. It's not just it just didn't happen in Detroit. But for the players, you'd have to ask them.

Q. Can you think of a specific reason why this group became champions, as opposed to others that you've played?
COACH BROWN: Well, I think we're probably better. My team in Philly in 2001 was banged up. I was looking at one of the newspapers documenting all of Robert's great shots. We had a chance to win Game 3 at home, which a lot of people said, no, they beat you four out of five, but that was a pretty resilient group with one special player and everybody buying into what we were trying to do.
I've had a lot of teams that have had chances, but I really honestly thought it wasn't meant to be; other teams were better. But last year, I truly felt we were the best team. This year, I truly believed from the outset that we had a chance to repeat. Now, I understand you've got to be pretty lucky.

Q. How does Chauncey compare to guys in other sports like Derek Jeter of the Yankee, Tom Brady of the Patriots in his ability to come up big in bigger games?
COACH BROWN: Well, I don't think any of them have been through what he's been through, so maybe because of that, if you hear him talk, a lot of guys feel sorry about what has happened early in their career. He hasn't. He's used it as a motivation. He's mentioned to me a lot of times that maybe he wasn't ready, and now he has one, he respects the opportunity he's been given. And he's tried to get better. Anybody that knows me that's played for me, I've put a lot of responsibility on the point guard. He's probably had to sacrifice as much as anybody I've ever coached for the benefit of the team, and I think everybody in our locker room recognizes that.
Then he has great confidence. You know, he always says that I have great confidence in him. I would hope as a coach that's something that all your players feel. But he has great confidence in himself and he knows his teammates feel the very same way, so he's able to perform at a high level when it really matters most.

Q. For all of the years you've coached, is there a way for you to succinctly define yourself as a coach, whether it's X's and O's, strategy, motivation; is there some way you would describe yourself?
COACH BROWN: No, you've been with me long enough, you can probably do that.

Q. I can't figure it out.
COACH BROWN: One, I've been blessed because I'm doing exactly what I always wanted to do. I don't know how many people are lucky enough to do that.
Two, I don't think anybody in our sport has ever had the mentors that I've had, you know, perfect Mr. Iba and John McLendon and Pete Newell, Alex Smith, McGuire, I don't think anybody has been this fortunate as I have in terms of the people that have taught me. And I've been blessed with players that have allowed me to be myself and coach.
So I'm hopeful that when all of this is said and done that people say the guy cared about the sport and cared about the players he taught. I'm not an innovator, but I'm relentless in what I believe in, so I guess that's it.

Q. You were talking about Chauncey a second ago, but he's really come from the player he was early in his career to something a superstar and that just doesn't happen to a lot of players. Some become good, but he's become a superstar. Is there one thing that you can point to that was the difference?
COACH BROWN: Well, I think you're the first person that's ever mentioned that to me when they talked about Chauncey. I always think super players are the ones that make players around them better, and sometimes it's at a great sacrifice. I think that, one, he's as good a shooter as I've ever coached. You know, Reggie was I don't count Reggie. (Laughter) I don't think that's fair.
He's not afraid to fail. He just shows up.
But it doesn't just happen. You know, he has I don't think he's missed one practice since I've been there. I don't think he's ever taken a possession off where he's not trying to do the right thing. And again, the fact that we've been able to win 50 games the two years Rip well, he played for Rick one year, but he was pretty successful at Minnesota in a different role. When Rick had him, I think people recognized you know, his value to the team, and I've heard Rick comment, I don't buy Detroit not having great players. Chauncey Billups is as good as anybody in the league at that position. And he led us to a championship last year and is giving us an opportunity to repeat. So that in itself says enough.

RASHEED WALLACE

Q: What are you listening to Rasheed?
Wallace: Music (laughter).

Q: How does this team get ready for this type of situation, one game to win it all?
Wallace: That’s how we do it, that’s what we’ve been doing for the last few years, just winning games. There’s no pressure on us.

Q: How pleased does it make you to keep proving people wrong?
Wallace: Cool. It feels real good to prove all you cats wrong.

Q: Rasheed, describe the mentality behind the fact that you guys have won five straight times facing elimination. How have you been able to do that?
Wallace: When we’re out there, we don’t think about it like, “Oh, it’s the last game, this might our last game.” No. We just play.

Q: How much of a difference will it make that you have so much Game 7 experience?
Wallace: I mean, it’s only – like I said last night – it’s only a little bit of difference, because this team is too good for us to sit up there and be like, “They’ve never been in a Game 7 so we’ve got the advantage.” No. They’re too good.

Q: How much do the humble beginnings of this team help when you play in these do-or-die situations?
Wallace: Like I said, you just gotta play. You can’t look at it like a do-or-die situation. You just gotta go out there and hoop.

Q: Why do you seem to play your best games under these conditions?
Wallace: That I can’t answer.

Q: How did it feel last night, when it seems the refs were doing everything they could to try to keep you out of the game and you –
Wallace: I’m not going to get on that.

Q: – but you were able to preserver through all that and come up big down the stre –
Wallace: I’m not going to get on that.

Q: How important is it that, while Tim Duncan is a great player, he hasn’t had anyone to help him down in the post?
Wallace: That’s on them. That’s something for them to figure out. That’s not our problem. Our thing is just keep doing what we’ve been doing these last few games.

Q: Does it make it a lot easier though?
Wallace: That’s not our problem.

Q: Where does the pressure live right now in this series?
Wallace: Ain’t no pressure for us. Pressure busts pipes, we don’t bust pipes.

Q: Is this the biggest game you’ve ever played in?
Wallace: No.

Q: What would you consider the biggest game you’ve ever played in?
Wallace: When I was younger, my first championship.

Q: Does this compare at all to that, a Game 7?
Wallace: Ain’t no comparison.

Q: Why’s that?
Wallace: Because that was my first one, and this is not my first one.

Q: Can you enjoy and have fun in a Game 7?
Wallace: Oh yeah, I have fun every time I’m out there on the court, no matter whether we’re winning or losing. Just play.

Q: Talk about how Chauncey has played for you, not allowing them to make a run by making big shot after big shot.
Wallace: That’s the nickname you all gave him. He’s just living up to it. He’s going good, doing what he needs to do for us to win.

CHAUNCEY BILLUPS

Q. Can you just talk about in each of the last two Finals, your ability just to step up, you were the MVP last year and could be again this year, you raised your scoring average three points from the regular season, can you talk about that?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I don't know, I just try to be aggressive, I just try to really be the best teammate I can. If that means to step it up and set the tone for my team in whatever way I have to, I will. It doesn't have to be scoring. But it just so happened that it has been. There's other things that I like to do to set the tone, too. But of course, scoring is, you know, most of what y'all look at, you know what I mean, but I don't think that's my only effect on the game. It's a huge effect, but I don't think that's my only effect.

Q. No team that has advanced to The Finals has ever lost its last two home games, and they have been so fantastic here at home all season, do you think that the pressure to win might be a little bit more on them than you all?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: Oh, yeah, I do. Of course, we're defending champs, so that pressure is on us. But they are at home. They are at home, and I think the pressure is really on them to win this Game 7 and win it all.
They had the best record in the league other than maybe Phoenix, I don't know. But the pressure is definitely on them. They have got the home court advantage in the series. This is Game 7 and no team has ever lost Game 6 and 7 and this and that, but there has not even been a Game 7 since '94 or whatever.
I don't really believe in all that kind of stuff, but I do think the pressure is on them.

Q. Do you think it started to show a little bit last night with Tim Duncan missing free throws, etc., turnovers in the last quarter?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: It happens. I don't think that that was him feeling the pressure. He's one of the greats of all time, really. So I don't think that it was pressure he was feeling. It just happens. You can't make every shot, you know what I mean. Plus, he's playing against three big defenders out here in Ben and Rasheed, they are all playing him different ways, you know what I mean, Sheed is playing with length, Tay is playing with quickness and Dyess is playing with his strength and his power, so it's tough every time he gets a comfort level with one of those guys, there's another one coming to guard him. So you have to change it up a little bit.
It's tough on him, but even with all that, he's still having a great series.

Q. In these types of situations, you've always been able to it seems been able to kind of slow down the moment and just focus and play. Can you tell us what that's like for you and what kind of joy you get out of playing these kinds of do or die situations?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: Yeah, well, I love it. I think so many players just get a little too excited, which is understandable, you know, being in a situation like that, to get a little too excited and get a little too impatient. I think that's where I come in at with that calm demeanor and just staying poised out there and just playing this Game 7 like it's Game 1, you know what I mean, or the first round, not The Finals. I think my guys pull that confidence from me knowing that I'm going to be the same way out there.

Q. Do you put out of your mind the ramifications, where this will put you in terms of NBA history and all that other kind of tough?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: No, you can't worry about any of that stuff. None of that stuff matters right now. It's all about playing this game tomorrow, you know what I mean, and playing every single possession and knowing that every possession is critical and the outcome will take care of itself, either way, whatever comes about. But you can't worry about anything outside that 90 x 50 out there.

Q. Derek Jeter of the Yankees and Tom Brady of the Patriots always come up big in the post season and make others big around them, how do you compare to guys like Jeter, Brady?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I don't know if I compare to those guy, man. That's unbelievable company. But I do like these situations. I love them, man, I love to be in these kind of pressure situations. I have some history of doing good in these situations. I don't always do good, but my history is pretty good, you know what I mean, but all that doesn't mean nothing right now, because I haven't played in a Game 7 in The Finals. Not many people have.
But, you know, I don't look at it like it's a Game 7 of The Finals. I look at it like, you know, this game, this is a regular season game, even though it means a lot more. I played that same way, you know what I mean. I'm not going to get too high up or too high down. I'm going to be the same way throughout the whole process, and I do take a lot of pride in trying to be there in these big moments and trying to make my teammates better, and they make me better, also. I don't deserve a lot of that credit. But it's nice.

Q. By now it's certainly well established that you guys are a really resilient team and you've been asked about this, but you've had more happen to you this season than a normal team would have in about 10 years and you're 23 18 mid season, was there a point where you were getting a little concerned?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: There was a couple dark days during the season. Of course, the melee at the Palace, it took a toll on us. It took a major toll on us. You couldn't turn on the TV without seeing it. It was just horrible. It was just a horrible thing that took a major toll on us. Then finally getting Ben back and then Coach Brown falling a little sick and being unhealthy and not being able to coach was a setback a couple of times.
So we've had it, man, we've been through a lot. We understood that. We felt like had we not been through some of those situations, maybe we'll be sitting Game 7 at our place, you know what I mean, but we're not. You can't get those games back, but we're here you know what I mean. We're here, we are expected to be here and we're looking forward to tomorrow night's game.

Q. Chauncey, you've played roughly a couple hundred games for Larry Brown. A, how would you define him, and B, if, in fact, for whatever reason it's over after tomorrow night, how will you remember him?
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS: I think the way I would define Coach Brown is I think he's more passionate about this game than anybody I've ever been around, player, coach, fan, anything. I don't know anybody that loves the game like he does and cares about, you know, the integrity of the game like he does. I don't think he wants this game to change from when he played it, you know.
But he just really he's in love with this game, man. I don't see him not being around this game. I can't see it. I can't see it.
I've learned so much personally from him about this game, about my game, you know, that it's priceless, really, what I learn from him. I don't anticipate it being over for him, but if it is, you know, it's going to be a dark day in the NBA.

BEN WALLACE

Q: Have you thought about the fact that this team is so good in pressure situations?
Wallace: No, not really. It is a little too much to try to solve it right now. But we put ourselves in a position to have an opportunity to win another championship and that is all we are focusing on now.

Q: Your confidence has to be sky high after last night.
Wallace: This team never lacks confidence. We always feel good about ourselves, we always like our chances as long as we go out and compete.

Q: Do you feel the bond on this team is getting stronger and stronger?
Wallace: This team is a close knit group, everybody cares about the game, everybody cares about each other. Everybody stays together, that has been big for us all season.

Q: Talk about Antonio McDyess, he has been talking all year about getting to where you guys were last year.
Wallace: He has helped put us in a position to get one [championship]. So right now it’s not about talking about it, it’s just about going out and getting it done, we are in a position to do it.

Q: Is home court gone in this series? did you guys take that out of the equation last night?
Wallace: We are still playing on their court, so its still here. But it is the Finals, so anything can happen.

RICHARD HAMILTON

Q. You've played a couple hundred games now for Larry Brown. Can you define what it's been like to play for him, and if, in fact, after tomorrow night, it's over, how will you remember him?
RICHARD HAMILTON: It's been fun. I think that ever since Coach got here, I think I believe that it took our team to the next level to where we've got to get to, and that was win the world championship and have another opportunity to win another one tomorrow night.
Coach has been great. It's one of them things that you don't look past and see what type of decision he makes or anything like that. The only thing you can say is we go out there, try to win a game tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Q. A few weeks ago, it seemed like the talk around this team constantly was about where would Coach Brown go next, and everyone was describing it's a distraction, yet now you could walk away winning a championship, what does it say about yourself as players and about Coach Brown that made that not be a distraction at all and you just went ahead and went about your business so easily?
RICHARD HAMILTON: In this game of basketball, with all of the different trades and everything like that, there's rumors every day. You can never allow yourself to get caught up in what's written in the newspaper or what people hear and things like that. It only takes one person to start a rumor, and that person could be lying through their mouth, you know, but if he says it to the right person and the whole world believes it, you know.
We don't allow ourselves to get caught up in that. We've got other things to accomplish, and that's going out and trying to win a championship.

Q. What qualities does Chauncey possess that would compare him to Derek Jeter in baseball and Tom Brady in football?
RICHARD HAMILTON: He's our catalyst, he's our leader out there. He runs our team. He's our point guard out there, and he has to make a lot of decisions. The great thing about him, he's capable of doing so many great things on the basketball court, even though he's a point guard, he can score.
Like I said, he's a strong point guard. He can play multi positions and he can defend. He can do a lot of special things out there. He knows how to lead and when you have a point guard that knows how to lead and wants to lead, then you can't ask for anything better than that.

Q. You defended a lot during Game 6 on Tony Parker, is it something that you think made it tougher for him or was different for him?
RICHARD HAMILTON: You know, guarding him, I just like to use my speed and my quickness. You know, I have a lot of energy out there and I want to use as much of it as possible. So me and Chauncey is interchangeable. We help each other out on both ends of the floor. That's the great thing about us. Sometimes I can pressure the ball and things like that. You know, it was just one of them things that I want to try to do something a little different and it kind of worked.

Q. Have you gotten more comfortable as this series has gone on playing Bruce and how he's going at you?
RICHARD HAMILTON: Oh, yeah, like I said, as the series goes on, you learn to laugh at a lot of the things that he does, other than get frustrated, mad and things like that. You learn to laugh because he's going to continue to do it regardless of what type of calls they make out there, he's going to do it every play on the court and you can't allow yourself to get caught up. You just have to laugh at it and keep playing.

Q. How much is the fact that you guys have been in Game 7s, how will that help you guys tomorrow night?
RICHARD HAMILTON: A lot. Like I said, this is what we do. We know in a situation like this it just ain't right, playing in a Game 7, it's big. We want to go out there and play hard, regardless. It would be a great thing for us to go out on a winning note.
I think the guys on our team, we are all prepared to go out there and go to war and do what we've got to do to try to get a win.

ANTONIO MCDYESS

Q: You said before Game 7 against Miami that that was the biggest game of your life. Can you change that now?
McDyess: Yeah, definitely, getting myself in this position is definitely exciting. For everyone on this team just to be motivated and hopefully come in here Thursday and get another one.

Q: What did you learn from your teammates last night?
McDyess: Not to panic, definitely not to panic. Like they say it’s not over until it’s over. A lot of people counted us out, and when our backs were are against the wall we always come out fighting.

Q: Talk about your emotions after Game 5. Did you feel as if a championship had slipped away?
McDyess: Yeah, definitely. To give up an opportunity like that at home – we had a chance to win that game. And this is the Playoffs and you never know what is going to happen, but I was pretty sick to my stomach watching the whole situation. In regulation I didn’t watch the last minute, in overtime I didn’t watch the last minute. But we hung in there yesterday and got a win, but emotionally it was just hurtful to watch it.

Q: How will you prepare you for Game 7? Will there be knots in your stomach?
McDyess: I am just going to try to go out there and approach it like any other game, not put any pressure on myself. Take it as a regular season game, and that is kind of how I’ve been approaching these games, like it’s a regular season, not putting pressure on myself by saying ‘This is the Finals, this is the Finals.’ I think that is how I will approach everything as we go on.

Q: What would it mean to you to win a championship?
McDyess: Man, what would it mean? I have been through a lot. I have accomplished a lot and just to get a ring would mean the world to me. Being here, just playing here means a lot to me, even if we don’t get it – which is not an option, it is going to mean the world to me.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM
GREGG POPOVICH

Q. Your team's identity has always been defense and the last four games you've kind of slipped defensively, it sounds like you're regrouping defensively for Game 7 to get back?
COACH POPOVICH: Well, we're playing the NBA champions, and they are real good. So it's a little tougher, everything they do than for most teams. That's a big part of it. You have to give them credit for the way they execute, the way Chauncey gets everybody set, the way he hustled, they did a great job of that. So they are difficult to guard.
From our point, the things that we want to do, in some sense we have to figure out a way to handle Chauncey a little bit better so that he doesn't have such an easy time to do that, and it's easier said than done. But he's created a lot of problems for us in a lot of different ways with pulling up, shooting, penetrating, finding people, being aggressive offensively. Other times, you know, finding the right guy at the right time, he's been really good.
So he's got to be a major emphasis, not that he has not been, we've been trying things, and they haven't worked great. But having said that, you know, it's a one, two point game with a couple minutes to go, and down the stretch, execution is really important. They have made some shots; we didn't. We got a couple of turnovers, and that could be the difference in the game.

Q. The odds, the numbers, the history, greatly favor your team tomorrow night. Do you feel that the pressure to win may be a little more on you or is it a distraction?
COACH POPOVICH: Not really. I don't look at records or percentages or who has won Game 7s or how many we've won at home or how many close out games they have won and all that kind of stuff. It's about the teams involved, not about what history says about teams, and it's a Game 7, I think it's great, it's very fun in the sense that who would not want to be involved in something like that. Sure, you'd rather be 4 0 and go on vacation, but short of that, if somebody said at the beginning of the year you're going to be in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, it's a lock, you'd say, I'll take it (raising hand).
That's something that's very exciting. As far as more pressure or nervous, we'll go through the same routine we would for any other game, because we're all like that. I mean, you're going to go through the same stuff worrying about if you have your out of bounds play set and get your defensive game plan down, get your team ready, show them the right amount of film. Everything is going to be the same. The time between now and the game will probably seem interminable, but the same process will happen and once the ball goes up, it will be the same deal. You won't really feel the pressure. You just do your job.

Q. You talk about how Chauncey kind of developed into a different player than he was earlier in his career when he bounced around a lot of different teams and now maybe under Larry and what he's done, can you talk about what he's done?
COACH POPOVICH: Well, he's become a consummate point guard who still doesn't get his due, because he does it at both ends. He depends. I mean, he is a tough defender. This is a strong young man who limits people's movement, who can guard people in the post, who can guard you out on the floor. He's quick enough and has a desire to do it there. But most point guards, that's not involved in the assessment of what they do, and it's huge for him.
At the offensive end, obviously when you can shoot the three or go to the hole or post people up, and at the same time, deliver to everybody, and not turn the ball over, that's pretty special.

Q. Can you talk about him not getting his due, is it incredible to think in your mind that he's never been an All Star?
COACH POPOVICH: Sure it is. He's played great there. He's just not you know, he's not in some ways he's a lot like Timmy. You've interviewed him and had him sit up here and he's not an MTV guy. He's a humble guy and he's not going to point fingers at anybody. He's always respectful. There's no flare kind of thing. He just does his job. He's as solid as solid can be.

Q. You were asked before about this whole concept of when you're at home, Game 7, the pressure, the glass half full series, and you're at home and you have the advantage, can you talk about playing at home in your surroundings with your fans; does that give you possibly an advantage?
COACH POPOVICH: I don't know. I have no idea. I won't spend any time thinking about it. I don't think about advantages or not advantages. All of us in this business have won games in tough circumstances on the road, at home.
It's about the people on the court and the poise that they display more than it is anything else. And even if I thought it was an advantage or a disadvantage, I don't think that is I don't think Ginobili or Rasheed Wallace or anybody is going to care if I think it's an advantage or not. So I don't think it means anything.

Q. Tim talked about last night how you guys all year have not force fed the ball into him, but I'm wondering in Game 7, do you need him to step up and be a bigger factor, get more shots or do something different or extra?
COACH POPOVICH: There were a lot of opportunities there were more opportunities to get him the ball in the fourth quarter. He's obviously somebody who accepts that responsibility and can do that.
I don't know if you know this or not, but the first time he touched the ball in the fourth quarter was with 7:23 left on the clock. After that he had about 10 touches, 10 or 11 10 touches. We were in motion; meaning not specifically calling a play, to go to Tim or to Manu or to Tony, just playing motion basketball. There were many opportunities where he was in position and getting into position where he needed to get the ball and it didn't happen.
So I think our perimeter has to be a lot wiser in situations when we get a rebound and we go up the floor without a called play to know where Timmy Duncan is on the court and to remember that that's how we played all year long.

Q. They are obviously an extremely resilient team and would never do anything that would surprise you, is it still impressive that they could come back off that Horry thing and play as well on the road, down here, etc.?
COACH POPOVICH: No, not at all. I mean, they are pros. They are pros. They are tough minded. You know, maybe the most mentally tough team in the league. They just play. They don't care if they are home, if they are away. That's why they are the NBA champions.

Q. Tim described his play in the stretch run of Game 5 as a nightmare and then Game 6 was just okay. Do you agree with those assessments, and do you hope he will be more assertive and maybe demanding the ball in Game 7 at those times?
COACH POPOVICH: Well, it's not about Tim. It's about us playing wisely, and Tim did what he was supposed to do last night. We forgot about Tim Duncan. He didn't forget about anything.

Q. How would you assess Tony in the last few games, I know it was a tough matchup for him defensively, and also, without the consistent backup that he might have had, how would you assess his play the last few games?
COACH POPOVICH: I think he's doing a good job. He's trying to walk that line between being a scorer and getting the ball where it needs to go. At the age of 23 in this sort of a circumstance, I think he's doing a pretty good job of trying to figure that stuff out. Getting better all the time, working his butt off on defense against a tough character.
So I've been pleased that, you know, he's been pretty steady. Maybe a little stubborn at times as far as driving into a crowd, but, you know, figuring it out as best he can.

Q. And we asked Tim this, we're accustomed to seeing him hit that bank shot from both wings, have they taken that away or is he not getting that opportunity or none of the above?
COACH POPOVICH: No, there's some of the above. He has had those shots, some he has taken and missed. I also think that Rasheed plays really well out there. That length, it's tough to pull that shot times sometimes. I think you have to give Rasheed a little credit, too.

TIM DUNCAN

Q. In the first two games, you guys gave up in the low 70s and the last four you've given up almost 100 a game. Can you talk about getting the defensive focus back for this critical game.
TIM DUNCAN: Yeah, they have done a great job of executing through the last four games. They have shot the ball pretty well, and it will be about imposing our kind of defensive will out there in this Game 7 ; that could be the difference in the game. We're going to have to make less mistakes and allow less open shots and make the right decisions at the right time.

Q. Did you agree with Pop's theory that you guys rushed things last night and not let the game come to you in critical moments?
TIM DUNCAN: Yeah, at some points. I think we were just a little antsy out there, just a little ahead of ourselves. But hopefully we will come with the kind of focus that we've had in games past where we understand it's a 48 minute game and we understand that it's going to take every second of that 48 minutes to decide a winner and play it like that. I think we were just jittery and just ready to go and that's a good thing to have that energy, but to channel it the right way, to use it the right way, and I think at times we were a little bit too rushed.

Q. You've had your heart broken in games before like Fisher last year, when you see the Pistons do that, does it surprise you or how does a team do that?
TIM DUNCAN: How does a team do what?

Q. How do you bounce back from something like that, it was emotional, and you guys were obviously devastated after the game?
TIM DUNCAN: Devastating losses are there, but if you let them affect you for more than the time that it happens, it affects your whole game. They have been in this situation before. They are defending champs. They have been down in the series and they have always responded very well. They did the same, I don't know how else to explain it.

Q. Star players in Game 7s sometimes feel the need to take over games, maybe be extra assertive. How do you balance that with your teammates, and do you have that sense going into Game 7 for yourself?
TIM DUNCAN: I feel I need to be assertive, but I don't need to be overly assertive. I think we're going to stick with our game plan and we're going to continue to move the ball. We're going to use our pick and rolls to move the defense and try to move the defense and find open shooters.
But at the same time, I want to be aggressive. I want to get the ball, I want to be effective more than anything. And how do you balance that? I don't know. You have to go out there and you have to feel your way through and find an even balance of how to get it done.

Q. You never played in a Game 7 before, can you just talk about your feelings going into a game like this?
TIM DUNCAN: Just a lot of nervous energy. It seems like too long until the game is going to be here. As you said, I've never been in a Game 7 before, and just excited about it. Excited about it, excited to get to the floor more than anything. I think it will be nerve wracking between now and then, but once you get on the floor and get a minute or two, I'll be excited to be in there.

Q. How would you describe the mindset of rest of your team going into a game like this?
TIM DUNCAN: We're disappointed about the game last night but we understand that we made a lot of mistakes and we did a lot of things wrong, and we hope to correct those things.
But I think just like Game 6, I think everybody is really excited about it. We're going to be very nervous up until game time and once we get in the game and kind of get in the flow and get all of the kind of hoopla behind us, we'll be ready to perform.

Q. We're accustomed to see you hit a lot of those bank shots from either wing, have they taken that spot away or has it not been available in this series?
TIM DUNCAN: It's been available, I just haven't been able to hit it. I just haven't been shooting the ball very well. The shots been there. I've been unable to hit it.

Q. After Game 5, you called the fourth quarter like a nightmare or something like that. How would you describe your play personally down the stretch last night?
TIM DUNCAN: I was okay. I was all right. Still not still not great, but just okay. Just trying to be assertive at times and try to really take some shots down the stretch there, and then we got down by a couple of points and we had to kind of look to a different area of the floor to try to get some of our shooters some shots. I think in Game 7, I think I'll try to be a little more as I was in that Game 4, asking for the ball and drawing double teams or trying to make something happen.

Q. You mentioned that you guys made a lot of mistakes; what were the biggest ones?
TIM DUNCAN: Too many open shots.

Q. Defense more than anything?
TIM DUNCAN: Defensively. We did make some offensive mistakes but we have also predicated ourselves on what we do on the defensive end. We have always stemmed everything from there and we just gave too many open shots. Those guys, they made some big shots, Chauncey made some big shots, Rip was shooting the ball as he usually does. We just gave up too many too many easy looks.

Q. They single you out more than most teams do, but as you've told us before, they have a bunch of guys playing you with a variety of styles, how would you rate them as post defenders, a good team or great team?
TIM DUNCAN: They are a great team. They are some of the best in the league. Well, they are the best in the league obviously.
Defensively, as you said, just the different bodies they throw you and the different kind of styles they throw at you, it's a difficult matchup, so they are the best in the league.

MANU GINOBILI

Q. It's been a difficult battle with their backcourt, for you and Tony, just talk about how you're going to have to adjust in Game 7 to even up a bit more?
MANU GINOBILI: They both had an unbelievable game. Chauncey and Rip were playing him tough on very important shots. Of course we're going to try to adjust more on them. But I think during the whole series, it's just been a great battle and we're both doing good. That's why we arrived to Game 7.

Q. This is your first NBA Game 7, how does this compare to the Olympics, single game, winner take all or some of your international experience?
MANU GINOBILI: It's similar, very similar. The only difference is at this point you're you know your opponent well, you're playing many times against them and it's not same as playing in Italy in the Olympic games where you've just never faced them before. But still, the same responsibilities on the table, same pressure. So it comes back to be just one game for a lot of things, so it depends a lot on the character of the players.

Q. Tim Duncan is not a real outwardly emotional player on the court, he doesn't pump his fist very often or things like that. Could you tell us maybe behind the scenes or in the locker room what kind of a leader he is or how he acts? Prior circumstances?
MANU GINOBILI: You know, you can't make people change. People do what they feel and the way they feel comfortable doing them. Tim Duncan has been an unbelievable leader for a lot of years here, but we don't expect him to be yelling or doing things like that. He just do what he has to. He plays hard. He's a leader by example as we always say. So he's going to say some things when he has to, but we are not expecting him to be so emotional on the court, so everybody has a different way of showing their emotions.

Q. I'm just wondering, are you nervous, Game 7, what's the how do you feel inside?
MANU GINOBILI: Well, of course, you're nervous, a little anxious, because that's what we whatever you did in the last ten months, it comes back to just one game, you win it all or you go back home with nothing.
So, of course, there is a lot of pressure and responsibility in the game, but it's for both. We earned ourselves the position to be finishing the series at home, and we're willing to take it.
We think we are still in a good situation, and I think we have a team to win. Against them anything can happen, but I think we're going to be fine.

Q. A little more specifically, just dealing with their backcourt, what's the most difficult aspect of handling them?
MANU GINOBILI: Well, they have two different guys, Rip and Chauncey. Chauncey is more of a creator out of the dribble. Rip and his three point abilities, while Rip is just running all over the place, several picks, things like that, so you have to be very aware. As long as he can get a two yard lead, he's going to let it fly and with good percentages.
Chauncey is very, very good down the stretch, fourth quarters. So you've just got to be very, very aware. It's the kind of thing that you can't just control those things and then you're going to be fine. They have very good players. So it is a great team. We really respect them, but I think we are, too. We're going to be in a situation where we can match that up and play a better game.

Q. Last night in the fourth quarter, during down the stretch of the game, the game got a little emotional and maybe a little panicky for you guys, do you have things that you tell yourself to try and calm yourself down or what are you telling yourself during that point in the game to try and keep your focus?
MANU GINOBILI: I think the focus was there, is just sometimes you're going to make good decisions and sometimes you won't. I didn't play that smart in the last two minutes, and they did, so that's the difference between winning and losing at this point of the season.
Little mistakes are the ones that are going to throw you down, so we've got to think about that. That's the part we can control. If Chauncey starts hitting threes with Tony standing in his face, you can't do nothing about it. By playing smarter, moving the ball a little bit more is something we can do. That's what we are trying to focus on.

Q. How hard or easy was it to let last night go?
MANU GINOBILI: Easy it was not at all. We were talking the last two days about how important the Game 6 was, that we didn't think there was a Game 7. We had to take it like if it was the last chance we had.
I think we did that pretty well. They just happened to play better. We made too many mistakes and that's why they won the game. But after that was over, we know that there's another chance and now the same mental focus, the same responsibilities we have for Game 6.

ROBERT HORRY

Q: Talk about the pressure of Game 7?
Horry: It’s more pressure. I got a lot more pressure when we were down 3-1 in Phoenix and we had to win all those games back in the day. But it is pressure just to win period, a lot of pressure comes from everybody is watching now. Everybody is complaining about the ratings, but the ratings should be up for this. Game 7, and two teams playing hard and two teams figuring each other out and starting to score on each other so it is going to be fun to watch.

Q: Look back to the Game 7 in 1994 when you won your first ring.
Horry: I can’t really remember anything about that, but I was just eaten up in that series and that’s the only thing I can remember about that one.

Q: You have said you like to go out there and have fun. Will that be difficult tomorrow night?
Horry: For me, no. I am not going to worry about that because it is just my job and I am going try do the best I can and get out there and if it doesn’t work out in my favor, I go home with my sons and my daughter.

Q: How does the team handle Tim Duncan inside. Are they too physical for him?
Horry: It is mostly him going to the contact, and that is just him being aggressive. He is going up against two aggressive guys in the Wallaces. Sometimes it will go in your favor. The good thing is he is starting to figure it out and I think by tomorrow he will be O.K.

Q: How do you keep getting the ball inside to Duncan, rather than settling for three-pointers?
Horry: We are going to stick to what we have been doing all season. Go to him [Duncan] when we can, spot up and shoot when we can and just use him to make us better.

TONY PARKER

Q: Can you believe after this entire season, it all comes down to one game?
Parker: It’s crazy. What a great opportunity to have, a great challenge. A Game 7, 3-3, two very good teams. I’m just excited. It’s a great opportunity, you dream about playing a Game 7 in the NBA Finals.

Q: Robert Horry has played in a Game 7 of the Finals, has he shed any light on what that experience is like?
Parker: No he didn’t say anything yet. Maybe when we watch film he will say maybe something. He definitely has the experience, he knows what it is so he is definitely a good guy to talk to and see what he has to say.

Q: How tough is it to put the Game 6 loss out of your mind?
Parker: We have to forget it. Detroit came in here and they had a great attitude – very focused and they played great the whole game. They made some tough shots towards the end, and you have to give them credit, they played great. So we just have to forget it and make some adjustments and play better.

Q: Will you guys make a more concerted effort to get Tim [Duncan] the ball early?
Parker: We can do a better job to get him the ball, especially in the second half we went away a little bit from him. Tomorrow, we definitely will try to get him the ball and give him the ball and make sure we get him in great situations and get his confidence going, and hopefully he can have a great game.

Q: Are you guys making an extra effort to encourage Duncan at the line?
Parker: I’m the wrong guy to talk to about it. I’m having a tough year too. We just have to keep that confidence high, because he is going to get fouled regardless. So we just have to keep having faith in him and know that he is going to make the big ones. But, I’m not worried about that, I don’t think that is why we lost the game last night. We are just going to keep clapping for him, and keep encouraging him because he’s going to get fouled.

Q: How are excited are you about to play a Game 7?
Parker: Definitely, I’m excited. It’s my first one and it’s a great challenge and I just can’t wait. There is going to be a lot of excitement, and that is what you live for – play big games and it’s a great opportunity.

BRUCE BOWEN

Q: Can you talk about Pop and Larry, you’ve played for both.
Bowen: They’re two coaches that are very similar. Coach Brown being the leader, and Coach Pop the student under his tutelage. And it just so happens that Coach Popovich has taken a lot of what Larry has preached for years, and incorporated it into his scheme of things. And by a product of that, you see two teams that are similar. And I think it’s only fitting for an uncle or father figure and the nephew or son to go against one another.

Q: Having played for Larry, is that any advantage for you?
Bowen: It’s not necessarily an advantage. Sometimes I’m amazed at how similar the two are. Their approach to the game and they never point fingers at stars, officials or things like that. Always taking the high road and understanding that even if you’re getting bad calls, the other teams are getting bad calls as well.

Q: Which is more of an advantage, the Game 7 experience the Pistons have or home court advantage you possess?
Bowen: Because we haven’t had that experience, I can’t say which is better. But it’s definitely good to be home in a situation like this. The magnitude of the game, it’s better to be at home than on the road.

Q: Did last night’s defeat hurt your team’s confidence at all?
Bowen: We’re confident. I don’t think what happened last night is going to affect our confidence. We have to give credit to Detroit. They played a good game, and we kind of rushed things. Kind of what happened against Phoenix. We were at home with an opportunity to get a victory. We realized that sometimes you have to take it down a notch in order to execute well. Last night maybe we rushed it.

Q: Bruce, these guys have closers. In a situation where they can close a team out they are 10-0. Have you guys talked about that?
Bowen: No, but you have to give them credit though, because they have gone into different environments and won Game 7. We understand that they play well, period. So you have to come with your A game and just try to minimize your turnovers.

Q: There’s been a lot of chipiness between you and Rip. How would you characterize your battle with him at this point?
Bowen: It is what it is. There are times where I get away with things, and there are times where I feel that he gets away with things. So with that, you have to just play. You can’t ever allow the emotion to get to the point where you’re constantly looking at the officials trying to get a call and things of that nature. It goes both ways and I think it’s just more or less born out of competition more than anything else.

NAZR MOHAMMED

Q: What’s the mood of the team right now?
Mohammed: It’s a mixed mood. Of course, everyone is disappointed about last night, but at the same time, everyone is excited about the opportunity we have tomorrow.

Q: Having played in do or die games in college, do you take that mindset into tomorrow’s game?
Mohammed: The first thing is, to be rested. After you make sure you’re rested, you just focus on the game. Other than that, it’s pretty simple. It’s the last game of the season no matter what. Mentally, you know how important it is and hopefully the body will follow.

Q: Talk about Chauncey Billups.
Mohammed: He’s been doing a great job. He’s been playing unbelievable for them. He does a great job of running the team. He’s a guy that can make open shots, and he puts pressure on the defense, getting to the basket.

Q: Where is this team right now from a psychological standpoint?
Mohammed: I think we’re pretty confident. We’re probably as confident as they are at this point. We’ve both beat each other three times, and two of those, the games weren’t that close, and one each was really tight. We’re both feel that we can beat one another, and now it’s just about going out there and putting it all together.

Q: Is there any feeling that you let one slip away last night?
Mohammed: I think you always feel that way when you lose a close one with this much riding on it. Last night, we felt we were in the game. We had opportunities. We let it get away. But, we also feel like this is why we play hard all season, to have homecourt advantage in this situation. We have that, and we’re going to take of business tomorrow.

Q: How do you sleep the night before?
Mohammed: It’s my first Game 7, but I’m always ready to play. You know how important it is, only this time, it’s definitely the last game. There’s nothing to hold back. Leave it all out on the court.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Somebody needs to ask Nazr why he can't catch the fucking ball.

1Parker1
06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Q: Are you guys making an extra effort to encourage Duncan at the line?
Parker: I’m the wrong guy to talk to about it. I’m having a tough year too.

:lol Out of all the people to ask about Duncan's FT problem, they ask Tony...

blaze89
06-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Somebody needs to ask Nazr why he can't catch the fucking ball.

I'd like to know why he can't dunk it?

1Parker1
06-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I'd like to know why he can't dunk it?

Because he's been getting lessons from Rasho? :lol