PDA

View Full Version : Looking at nursing schools in the area

desflood
05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Galen gets mixed reviews. I know a few people who have been there and love it, but it's not an accredited school. Anybody here had any personal experience with it?

mavs>spurs
05-11-2012, 04:34 PM
nurses are usually sluts so you'll be great for the job. you get to check weiners for a living and sleep around the office :tu

man on wire
05-11-2012, 04:42 PM
nurses are usually sluts so you'll be great for the job. you get to check weiners for a living and sleep around the office :tu

So you like being a nurse?

mavs>spurs
05-11-2012, 04:46 PM
lol mouse

you're 55 give up the comedy shit you suck and get a real job

AmericanPsycho
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
A frend of mine dd his nursing school at SAC.

IWantsACuatro
05-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I have mad respect for nurses. They do all the dirty work, and (for the most part) enjoy their job.

mavs>spurs
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
They do all the dirty work, and (for the most part) enjoy their job.

:eyebrows that they do

mrsmaalox
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Do you have any previous college under your belt? If so, you might consider a university BSN program and take advantage of (and take credit for) work you've already done. I don't know much about the actual ADN schools and programs, but I know plenty about the "hierarchy" within the profession, and while the ADN gets you out and working faster, the ANA considers the BSN the minimum entry into professional practice; I guess it all depends on what you want to do in your career.

Reck
05-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I have mad respect for nurses. They do all the dirty work, and (for the most part) enjoy their job.

Did you learned that from watching Nurse Jackie? :lol

desflood
05-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Don't have any college. I hear UTHSCSA, Baptist and SAC all have good programs, but I'd really rather get to work faster, then maybe go back for an actual degree later. The husband retires in a couple of years and we're moving to rural MI, so I need a job I can do anywhere.

Also, for what it's worth, my slut days are far behind me :nope

Reck
05-11-2012, 09:23 PM

rofl

I didn't expect that kind of response. :lol

mrsmaalox
05-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Don't have any college. I hear UTHSCSA, Baptist and SAC all have good programs, but I'd really rather get to work faster, then maybe go back for an actual degree later. The husband retires in a couple of years and we're moving to rural MI, so I need a job I can do anywhere.

With time being of the essence for you, I think you should definitely avoid a non-accredited program. The State Board here in Texas, will allow graduates from non-accredited programs to sit for the NCLEX, as long the program is approved by them; but their approval is given on a semester by semester basis, and it sure would be a drag, and waste of time/money to have your program lose it's approval before you are finished.

Licensure is pretty much reciprocal between the states (with the exception of just a couple), so make sure Michigan will honor a Texas license, and check their policy on non-accredited programs just in case they don't. And keep in mind that while everything may be fine between the 2 states as far as accreditation and licensure, individual employers are pretty scrutinous and many do overlook licensed graduates from non-accredited programs for reasons of their own liability. If you are going to relocate to a rural area that may have a limited amount of employers to apply to, it would be important to make sure that you are as hirable as possible.

And from one rehabilitated slut to another, I wish you the best :lol

desflood
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Thank you maalox :lol

You've pretty much confirmed exactly what I was thinking. I know I'll have to get a degree to make a decent career out of it, I'm even already registered at UTSA to begin the prerequisites, but at 34 I HATE the thought of school. Hell, if college was even remotely interesting I would have just gone right out of HS like everybody else.

desflood
05-12-2012, 11:18 AM
wait, you're 34 and your husband is retiring in a couple of years?

Should have been more specific :lol

He's eligible for military retirement in two years - he'll have been in the AF for 20. He wants to take a couple of years off before finding a civilian job, which we'll be able to afford if I have a nursing degree. He is a bit older than I, but not that much.