PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves NBA FINALS MVP?

wsdp
06-22-2005, 03:48 PM
I realize alot of you view me as a troll and delinquent Pistons fan, but I'll start the thread and let Kori have more bait to use with her WOAI fan opinion column....

If the Pistons win, Chauncey Billups is a no-brainer. As he's been over much of the last 2 post season, when they needed him the most, he's been lights out. Chauncey is a model of consistency come crunch time and - being a long time native of Detroit - when the game's on the line (albeit football, baseball, hockey, basketball) - there's no single athlete I'd rather have holding the ball in closing moments of a contest... Chauncey from the FT line in the 4Q and OT is automatic and when their "Backs are Against the Wall", Chauncey is a dagger with his long range jumpers and ability to draw drive and draw contact or dish to an open big man in the post.

Rip's been a model of consistency as well with his button hook curl jumpers, but Chauncey's just a slight notch ahead of him (which doesn't say much).

If the Spurs win game 7, I realize the popular sentiment is to give it to Duncan because of his numbers - but I feel strongly that the FINALS MVP is someone who delivers in the clutch (4Q, when game is on-line) and Tim hasn't come through when it counted in games 3-6 (that's 4 games, a.k.a., a majority of the games in a 7-game series).

Only 14-shots in a game when you can closeout the defending champs and claim the O'Brien the same night? I know the Spurs balanced offense is their success, but Shaq showed clear as day in Game 7 of Eastern Finals that the leader HAS to have the ball in his hands in order to impose his will and win the game.

Blame the Heat's guards (DAMON JONES AND WADE) for not getting him the ball more in the 4th quarter of that game... but I digress...

14 shots in an elimination game? 5/10 from the stripe? 1/7 in 4Q of Game 5? I'm sorry, Tim's effort was subpar when the game was on the line.

Manu hasn't been consistent since 1st 2 games and Parker has been dominated by Billups.

Bowen's a thought (I as a Pistons fan have FAR more respect for him than I did going into this) - but I've got to go with Horry.

Horry is the lone reason the Pistons didn't wrap this series up in Game 6 - his superhuman performance from last shot of 3rd quarter (a.k.a., 1st 3 of 20+ points) through overtime of Game 5 is "what legends are made of"...

Granted he bricked a couple key 3's in Game 6, but he was hitting big shots consistently in Games 1/2/5 and in order for Spurs to win a Game 7, he'll have to do it in the finale as well.

That's my 2-cents - Your thoughts?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Whoever steps up in G7, it's that simple...

Spurs_Fan_Nineteen
06-22-2005, 03:52 PM
depends on who wins, of course, but if its the Pistons I say chauncey.

if my Spurs win it, then I would say Ginobili. he's been unbelievable.

tlongII
Billups for Detroit.
Duncan for San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
There's already a few threads started on this subject in the last 24 hours. Right now, I said it's Chauncey from the Pistons and no one from the Spurs.

It will all be decided tomorrow night. The MVP award is completely up for grabs, along with the NBA title.

spur219
06-22-2005, 03:56 PM
If the Spurs win then the MVP will be whoever played better that night. If Pistons win well Chauncey Billups is the no brainer.

wsdp
06-22-2005, 05:26 PM
If the Spurs win then the MVP will be whoever played better that night. If Pistons win well Chauncey Billups is the no brainer.

If Spurs win and Duncan goes 20 and 10 but blows more free throws and makes game closer than it should be in 4th, he DOESN'T win it based on my original comments!

Vashner
06-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Manu.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Rasho.

cherylsteele
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Horry is the lone reason the Pistons didn't wrap this series up in Game 6 - his superhuman performance from last shot of 3rd quarter (a.k.a., 1st 3 of 20+ points) through overtime of Game 5 is "what legends are made of"...

Granted he bricked a couple key 3's in Game 6, but he was hitting big shots consistently in Games 1/2/5 and in order for Spurs to win a Game 7, he'll have to do it in the finale as well.

That's my 2-cents - Your thoughts?

Bricked???
I think that was being too kind....he airball 2 3 pointers...I think.....very un-Horry-like.

I would love to seem him hit the big three to win the title.

wsdp
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Bowen. The only guy who has given it his all, plus he is knocking down his corner three. Now only if he could convince Pop to put him on Billups....

And leave Ginobli on Rip? Umm, no... Parker on Rip? worked for 5.8 seconds of Game 5, don't think it would work over 48-minutes.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 05:37 PM
And leave Ginobli on Rip? Umm, no... Parker on Rip? worked for 5.8 seconds of Game 5, don't think it would work over 48-minutes.

That's what I say as well. You can switch Bowen over onto Billups in certain possessions, but not for long stretches of the game. Tony can't guard 6'7 Rip over long periods of time.

2centsworth
06-22-2005, 05:39 PM
MVP for the spurs is who ever delivers in game 7.

Detroit- Billups.

Vashner
06-22-2005, 05:41 PM
That's why I still think it's in Manu's grasp if he can win game 7.. IF..
That's 3 games he won.. Heck maybe if Big shot can get 7 he might.. If Det wins then the Mask should win it.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Damn I would love to see Pop try a backcourt of Manu/Big Dog/Bowen for short stretches and see if they can shut down Rip and Billups while tearing them up on the other end...I know Big Dog can't log big minutes but he has proven to me that he has bought into the Spurs defensive philosophy and if his jumper is on he could do to them what Billups is doing to us and keep the Pistons from packing the lane so tight...

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Bowen on Chauncey
Manu on Rip
Barry on Tayshaun
Duncan on Sheed
Horry on Ben

Take Parker out for the most of the 4th unless he had a good first 3 quarters. When parker is on, our team always wins. But he aint being the same player he used to be and I think you can credit that to Larry Brown and the Detroit defense. Gino and Barry can run the point just fine. The real PG of our team in Duncan anyways. The ball goes to him 90% of the time anyways. Tony is a shoot first PG and that is not helping our team right now. As much as I love Parker, we might be better without him in the fourth.

Tony is not going to sit for the fourth quarter in favor of Barry.

Jimcs50
06-22-2005, 05:49 PM
That's what I say as well. You can switch Bowen over onto Billups in certain possessions, but not for long stretches of the game. Tony can't guard 6'7 Rip over long periods of time.

Bowen on Billups, Manu on Rip, TP on Prince who has been horrible.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Prince was pretty good in G6. He'll be even better with TP guarding him...

CubanMustGo
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM

He wouldn't be against a guy 7" shorter than he is.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 05:51 PM
TP on Prince who has been horrible.

It might work for short stretches. But not for long periods of time. You can't have Tony on Rip or Prince for big parts of the game. Just because Prince hasn't had an awesome series doesn't mean he sucks. He would demolish Tony if that was the primary matchup.

geerussell
06-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Where'd all the Manu for MVP talk go? There must've been a dozen threads dedicated to it a week ago.

Time for a new nickname:

El Confusión
http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2005/0621/photo/a_ginobili_268.jpg

wsdp
06-22-2005, 05:52 PM

If TP ever guarded Prince for an extended period of time, I'd walk away from the TV, go down to Woodward (parade route) and start partying my a$$ off (and you'd see Prince win Finals MVP for putting up a 40/15 game).

You can't take Parker and expect him to guard a guy with a 7'2" wing span Jim!

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Barry isnt a great defender either yet he can match up with Prince.

Just because Barry matched up with Prince adequately for a few minutes doesn't mean he's an awesome defender against Prince.

Parker is just going to do have to do the best he can against Billups for the majority of the game and if Chauncey is still going off or the game is in jeopardy late in the 4th, then switch Bowen on him.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2005, 06:05 PM
I still think that if Parker is getting brutalized by Billups then we need to put his ass on the bench, use Manu/DBrown/BigDog/Barry/Bowen in the backcourt with Manu/Barry bringing up the ball...the size/strength mismatch is killing us...

tlongII
06-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I still think that if Parker is getting brutalized by Billups then we need to put his ass on the bench, use Manu/DBrown/BigDog/Barry/Bowen in the backcourt with Manu/Barry bringing up the ball...the size/strength mismatch is killing us...

If you do that then Detroit will pull the halfcourt trap on you. Parker is the only Spur that can handle that well.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2005, 06:14 PM
good point TLong but Beno was the one giving it up in the trap...Manu and Barry have done OK...Manu's pass out of the trap was what won game 5 as much as Horry's 3...

tlongII
06-22-2005, 06:18 PM
good point TLong but Beno was the one giving it up in the trap...Manu and Barry have done OK...Manu's pass out of the trap was what won game 5 as much as Horry's 3...

That wasn't a halfcourt trap though. That was an inbounds play on the Spurs end of the court from Horry to Manu and back to Horry. I don't think Manu can handle that trap.

DarkReign
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM

The only reason Barry wasnt struggling in the trap is because when he's on the floor, he NEVER brought the ball up (I am exaggerating to prove a point...he maybe brought it up twice...maybe).

Look...its not your backcourt that is killing you. Its the Piston's backcourt that is killing you.

Why do you think some say the Pistons have the best backcourt in the league? Because they pose....AH!....matchup problems!

TP cant hang (defensively, the little fuker is good on "O") with any of the Pistons backcourt including Tay. I keep reading people saying "Put Bowen on Billups".

Please put Bowen on Billups. Rip will have a friggin field day and you will lose.

The time for adjustments and experimenting is over. There is nothing to do now but play the game. May the best team win.

E20
06-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Chauncey wins the MVP for Pistons. No one really has showed up every game for the Spurs, so that's a question mark.

peskypesky
06-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Billups for Detroit/

Duncan for SA.

Vashner
06-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Let's break it down this way.
Game MVP
1. Manu
2. Manu
3. Hamilton
4. Billups
5. Horry
6. Billups

BigShotBob
06-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Trying to stay positive, and I was wondering what everyone thought were the chances of someone besides Duncan winning the MVP? Duncan has the best overall numbers I guess but he hasn't been as impressive as other Finals. I would give co-MVP trophies to Manu and Duncan for the first two wins, and MVP to Horry for the third win. If Manu or Horry has a big day tomorrow (say.... 30+ points? while Duncan only has 20) do you think we could see someone besides Duncan win the Finals MVP trophy?

ZStomp
06-22-2005, 11:22 PM
I think if Manu has a big/great game...he will get it.

If Horry has a good game..no...

Vashner
06-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Trying to stay positive, and I was wondering what everyone thought were the chances of someone besides Duncan winning the MVP? Duncan has the best overall numbers I guess but he hasn't been as impressive as other Finals. I would give co-MVP trophies to Manu and Duncan for the first two wins, and MVP to Horry for the third win. If Manu or Horry has a big day tomorrow (say.... 30+ points? while Duncan only has 20) do you think we could see someone besides Duncan win the Finals MVP trophy?
Duncan does NOT have the best numbers.. maybe you need to check your math.. Manu's numbers where better in 1 and 2...

It's clear to EVERYONE that Duncan's Finals performance so far is WAY below par of what he is capible of.. he should not even be on the radar for MVP unless he can pull off some stunning performance tonight.