PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Basketball Officials

YODA
05-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Just a few thoughts about the officals. I know the playoffs usually mean more physical basketball and less ticky tack fouls, but it concerns me the way the Clippers- Grizz series (among others) has been called. The amount of heavy and obvious fouls NOT being called either way is concerning for me because this is NOT Spurs style of play.

Granted the Jazz were (known to be)suppose to be a physical team, but in general, the officials kept the game relatively normal, but in other series around the NBA, the physical play is way over where it should be, even for the playoffs.

MY concern is that either the Grizz or Clippers( having played 7 physical games) would be more accustomed to the physical play and the way it is being called. The Spurs Finess style could be in series trouble if the refs swallow their whistles.

Game one with the Spurs should give us a good indication how the Spurs will react and how the Refs will call the game, but does anyone else have any concerns about this like myself?

Yoda

DeadlyDynasty
05-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Preemptive whining about the refs? Spurfan has outdone themselves this time:lol

freetiago
05-13-2012, 09:33 AM
crawford and mark davis should be nowhere near a spur game
palmer seems to want tps D so she can ref

xellos88330
05-13-2012, 10:08 AM
The Jazz were a physical team too. It just didn't seem like they were too physical because the way the Spurs play their offense. There is just too much space for defenders to really play a physical brand of defense consistently. On the other side, IMO it is harder for offensive players to be "physical" than defensive players and not get whistled.

Jimcs50
05-13-2012, 10:16 AM

:lol

Oh, that is just a taste of what might be to come, if the Spurs actually ever lose a game.

That said, I do not see them losing until game 4 of WCFs at the earliest, so we have a temporary reprieve from the whining.

:p:

Russ
05-13-2012, 11:31 AM
The Spurs Finess style could be in series trouble if the refs swallow their whistles.

The first time Splitter puts ZeBo on his big ugly ass we'll see how "finesse" the Spurs are.

Knoxxx
05-13-2012, 12:00 PM
[QWanUOTE=DeadlyDynasty;5872679]Preemptive whining about the refs? Spurfan has outdone themselves this time:lol[/QUOTE]

Wankers about to get swept by okc

Obstructed_View
05-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Watching the first quarter of Grizz/Clipps, it looks like you can't commit a blatant travel on a jump stop unless you're named Bryant and you can't commit a blatant over the back on a rebound unless you're named Bynum.

Spurs da champs
05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Marc Davis needs to be avoided at all costs!

Malice
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I got zero problems with it if they call the same on both sides. Old school forearm shivers, and physical basketball is what its all about.

wut
05-13-2012, 02:00 PM
right, enough said if the calls are being called evenly, but that's where I remain a skeptic.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2012, 02:15 PM
It's silly if you didn't expect the officials to let a lot of contact go in a Game 7. That's particularly true where: (1) Team A has been universally called out for its flopping; and (2) the game is being played in Team B's gym.

I also think that it's really a dangerous exercise to assume that the way that a particular group of officials call a particular game will carry over to other games. That one crew lets the game be played physically doesn't mean the next crew won't turn it into a free throw shooting contest.

With that said, I'd expect -- as always -- that whatever happens with the officiating in this game or any other during the playoffs, a team that deserves to win will play through the calls and find a way to get stops or get buckets when needed. Great teams handle the things they can change and don't worry about the things that they can't change.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
It's not that they let contact go, it's that they made so many calls over the last two games in favor of the Grizzlies that it's hard to believe it wasn't intentional.

my2sons
05-13-2012, 06:31 PM

awww...how cute, Laker fan who always has refs in back pocket and in fact get offended when a call goes against him is on board....

DeadlyDynasty
05-14-2012, 02:12 AM
awww...how cute, Laker fan who always has refs in back pocket and in fact get offended when a call goes against him is on board....

How cute...another mentally weak adult who blames losses on the officials. You probably make a lot of excuses in life:lol