PDA

View Full Version : Mashburn's knee not improving

KoriEllis
09-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Mashburn's status unclear as camp nears

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- With less than a month left before the start of training camp, the Hornets still don't know if forward Jamal Mashburn will be able to participate.

Mashburn has been unable to work out since reinjuring his right knee in a March 7th game at Toronto. Team officials confirmed that results from an MRI test taken three weeks ago showed no significant improvement.

Training camp opens October 5th.

General Manager Allan Bristow says they won't make a final decision on Mashburn's status until a few days before camp starts when he undergoes another MRI test.

The Hornets have not ruled out the possibility of trying to work a trade if Mashburn can pass a physical. They're also considering placing him on the injured list.

Mashburn missed the first 44 games last season after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee. He returned in mid-January.

Knowing his status was uncertain, the Hornets signed free agent forward Rodney Rogers this summer. Rogers and George Lynch are expected to compete for the starting small forward spot if Mashburn can't go.

E20
09-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Does anybody think Mashburn is overrated?

Solid D
09-11-2004, 08:29 AM
E20, Jamal's not a complete player nor a great team leader but he is what he is...a scorer.

He has been one of the most uniquely gifted offensive players in basketball the past dozen years. When his team needs offense, he is Mr. Go-To. He's sometimes totally unstoppable.

He has had some untimely injuries and people have questioned his "mental toughness" or desire to lay it all out there for his team. This is not to be confused with being able to make big shots to win games. That he can do.

At this point in his career, I'd say he's probably not someone the Hornets or any team can count on. His injuries may be chronic now and that happens with basketball players after many years of pounding their bodies, running up and down the floor thousands of times.

I'd say he's more over-the-hill due to his body breaking down than over-rated. I compare him to Barnard King (Sr.) who could score from anywhere with complete ease and put a team on his back offensively, but could not do the other things necessary to lead his team. Injuries turned Barnard King into a limping, sad story of someone who could have done more, even though he did a lot. I'm afraid the same is happening to Jamal.

TastesLikeChicken
09-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Grant Hill 2.0