05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Game 1 Tue. May 15 Spurs vs. Clippers 8:30 p.m. TNT
Game 2 Thu. May 17 Spurs vs. Clippers 8:30 p.m. ESPN
Game 3 Sat. May 19 Spurs @ Clippers 2:30 p.m. ABC
Game 4 Sun. May 20 Spurs @ Clippers 9:30 p.m. TNT
Game 5 Tue. May 22 Spurs vs. Clippers* TBA TNT
Game 6 Fri. May 25 Spurs @ Clippers* TBA ESPN
Game 7 Sun. May 27 Spurs vs. Clippers* TBA TNT

Since we knew there'd be a back-to-back, this schedule is about as good as we could have hoped. With the Clippers dealing with injuries (and probably fatigue), playing the first four games in six days probably favors the Spurs. And the back-to-back isn't too horrible because of the day-night split.

Game 3 being at 2:30 instead of noon is a bonus. If the series goes to Game 6, getting that extra day of rest will be helpful for the Spurs.

All in all, not much to complain about . . .

P.S.

The only scary aspect is that any type of Spurs injury would likely result in missing at least a couple games. There's no room for an ankle sprain, tbh.

slick'81
05-13-2012, 05:43 PM
yeah im glad spurs got the xtra rest now and are all healthy. the back2back should be fine this time around

VBM
05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
P.S.

The only scary aspect is that any type of Spurs injury would likely result in missing at least a couple games. There's no room for an ankle sprain, tbh.

http://ambasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tiago-splitter-2.jpg

"Hmm...don't think I've sprained an ankle yet..."

DontStopBelieving
05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
http://ambasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tiago-splitter-2.jpg

"Hmm...don't think I've sprained an ankle yet..."

:lmao

T Park
05-13-2012, 05:50 PM
2:30 central? meaning 12:30 pacific

Bruno
05-13-2012, 05:53 PM
A b2b without a travel and with the first game being played early is nowhere near as bad as the usual b2b regular season.

If Spurs fail, it won't be because of the schedule.

Blake
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
The only complaint is that we don't get a home game on the weekend.

sucks trying to go to a game during the week for some of us with kids...

Spurtacus
05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
A b2b without a travel and with the first game being played early is nowhere near as bad as the usual b2b regular season.

If Spurs fail, it won't be because of the schedule.

Yup and the first game is at 2:30pm. Spurs will get a good 24 hours rest between games.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Good point. That does sound like the dreaded noon game for the Spurs. Maybe being on Saturday instead of Sunday won't carry the same bad luck or whatever.

Libri
05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't see any major issues with the schedule. :tu

Jimcs50
05-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Good point. That does sound like the dreaded noon game for the Spurs. Maybe being on Saturday instead of Sunday won't carry the same bad luck or whatever.

noon game, but Spurs' biological clocks will be set to cst. When I go west, I do not get used to the early time in just 3 days. I always wake up at 5:30 am no matter what time I go to bed. The Spurs will benefit from the 12:30 tip

MmP
05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
im seeing some fans too confident. i respect clippers a lot

GSH
05-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Of course the b2b is in LA. I think they should have played Monday and Tuesday here, and then they could have had a normal schedule the rest of the way.

Mugen
05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Of course the b2b is in LA. I think they should have played Monday and Tuesday here, and then they could have had a normal schedule the rest of the way.

So the Clippers would play B2B2B? :lol

dbreiden83080
05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Hopefully that week off helps this series for games 3 and 4...

No messing around get up 2-0..

TimmehC
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM

At least that's not the second game of the B2B. Pre-noon is a little early to be fighting downtown LA traffic on Saturday. Maybe better if I try for game 4 tix instead.

GSH
05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
So the Clippers would play B2B2B? :lol

Why do so many people here just live to be dicks? I think I was pretty clear when I said that they could have had a NORMAL SCHEDULE after that - which means every other day.

In case you didn't notice, the Lakers are getting their b2b at home also. I think it's sort of odd that both of the lower-seeded teams are getting that benefit. The OKC/LA series could have had their b2b in OKC on Mon/Tue, then they would have gone to LA to play on Thur/Sat. Every other day, like normal.

And then the Spurs/Clips series could have played their b2b here on Tue/Wed, then they would have gone to LA to play on Fri/Sun. A NORMAL SCHEDULE, like I said. The only difference is that, the way it is, both LA teams are getting the benefit of the b2b at home. Coincidence?

As it stands, there will be two b2b series in the second round - both in LA, both in the same arena, both in the same damn weekend. The Lakers play on Friday and Saturday, and the Clips play on Saturday and Sunday. You can't tell me that's somehow easier to schedule. My way would have had one b2b in SA, and one b2b in OKC, and then all the rest of the games could have been every other day, like normal.

You aren't stupid - if only you took a second or two to think, rather than being in such a rush to be an asshole.

Asshole.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 09:26 AM
In case you didn't notice, the Lakers are getting their b2b at home also. I think it's sort of odd that both of the lower-seeded teams are getting that benefit. The OKC/LA series could have had their b2b in OKC on Mon/Tue, then they would have gone to LA to play on Thur/Sat. Every other day, like I said.

As I said, this favors the road team. It is hard to beat any team two straight nights, therefore, this favors the team that benefits the most from a split....the road team....yes?

boutons_deux
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
NBA doesn't GAS about the quality of the games, only the number of the games, games being the product they're peddling.

B2B in the playoffs is worse than the abomination of B2B in the season.

Fuck the NBA business.

cheguevara
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
fuck. we gonna get buttfucked that game 3. shitty start time. might as well mark it as a loss already.

we better win the first 2 games or we in deep shit

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
NBA doesn't GAS about the quality of the games, only the number of the games, games being the product they're peddling.

B2B in the playoffs is worse than the abomination of B2B in the season.

Fuck the NBA business.

Dude, the networks shell out a ton of money to the NBA, it is not our place to whine about the scheduling. I am a businessman, and I do not make business decisions that make me lose money, nor should the people that are responsible to the shareholders in the television industry.

If the players did not make so much money, then the owners would not need to charge the networks so much money for the contracts, and therefore the sponsers would have have to pay so much money for the advertising, and then the fan would not have to worry about scheduling.

It is just simple economics, it is the cost of doing business, and like it or not, sports are a business.

I work 5 straight days, I don't complain, so the NBA players have no gripe if they have to work two straight days, this is their bed, they have to lie in it.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
fuck. we gonna get buttfucked that game 3. shitty start time. might as well mark it as a loss already.

we better win the first 2 games or we in deep shit

How is that a shitty start time? Jeesh, you fucking whine when SA gets only a 20 hour turn around betw games, now that they will have an extra 5 hours betw games, you fucking whine about it too.:lol

The 2:30 time is perfect because the Spurs will still be on cst which is two hours later, which means the Spurs will be totally awake and fresh.

timvp
05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree with Jimcs50. That 2:30 start time is fine. Even though it'll technically be 12:30 in L.A., it'll feel like 2:30 for the Spurs.

If I had to hand-select start times for a back-to-back, I'd pick 2:30 and 9:30. Can't get any better than that.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree with Jimcs50. That 2:30 start time is fine. Even though it'll technically be 12:30 in L.A., it'll feel like 2:30 for the Spurs.

If I had to hand-select start times for a back-to-back, I'd pick 2:30 and 9:30. Can't get any better than that.

:toast

cheguevara
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
How is that a shitty start time? Jeesh, you fucking whine when SA gets only a 20 hour turn around betw games, now that they will have an extra 5 hours betw games, you fucking whine about it too.:lol

The 2:30 time is perfect because the Spurs will still be on cst which is two hours later, which means the Spurs will be totally awake and fresh.

bad start time because the players bio clocks are not set to perform at peak at that time, especially after a week of rest. Clips have homecourt so their crowd will energize them.

If El Che says game 3 is a loss. it is a loss. I hope I'm wrong but I rarely am :toast

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
bad start time because the players bio clocks are not set to perform at the max at that time. Clips have homecourt so their crowd will energize them.

If El Che says game 3 is a loss. it is a loss.

I will wager that Spurs win game 3.

Rummpd
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Favor's more rested and deeper Spurs who have won b to b to b x 2 and last on road and by a large margin each game - end of discussion, if Spurs do not lay and egg at home it ends in 4 or at most 5.

boutons_deux
05-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Dude, the networks shell out a ton of money to the NBA, it is not our place to whine about the scheduling. I am a businessman, and I do not make business decisions that make me lose money, nor should the people that are responsible to the shareholders in the television industry.

If the players did not make so much money, then the owners would not need to charge the networks so much money for the contracts, and therefore the sponsers would have have to pay so much money for the advertising, and then the fan would not have to worry about scheduling.

It is just simple economics, it is the cost of doing business, and like it or not, sports are a business.

I work 5 straight days, I don't complain, so the NBA players have no gripe if they have to work two straight days, this is their bed, they have to lie in it.

fuck the networks and the NBA. And fuck money as the supreme value in American life.

The NBA's priority is money, not the quality of games, not the health of the players. Too many teams, too many games (B2B), and too little talent.

GSH
05-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Dude, the networks shell out a ton of money to the NBA, it is not our place to whine about the scheduling.

No, we're just the customers. It's our place to pay for everything, and shut the fuck up, right? After all, that's what customers are for, isn't it? To provide income for someone else? Your customers must just love you, with an attitude like that.

Yeah - if you're going to have a b2b, getting them more than 24 hours apart is better than having a quick turnaround. But that doesn't change the fact that both lower-seeded teams are getting the b2b at home, because they are from LA. And don't tell me about business decisions. No normal business could get by with pissing on customers all over the country, in favor of the customers in a single city.

And BTW - you don't know shit about who this favors. Nobody ever plays a b2b against the same team, in the same arena. Not ever. You can't tell me that playing in front of the same hostile crowd, with playoff intensity, two nights in a row is an advantage. I don't know what you sell, but you aren't selling that.

fuck the networks and the NBA. And fuck money as the supreme value in American life.

Power to the proletariat, NBA style? You fucking loon.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:08 AM
No, we're just the customers. It's our place to pay for everything, and shut the fuck up, right? After all, that's what customers are for, isn't it? To provide income for someone else? Your customers must just love you, with an attitude like that.

Yeah - if you're going to have a b2b, getting them more than 24 hours apart is better than having a quick turnaround. But that doesn't change the fact that both lower-seeded teams are getting the b2b at home, because they are from LA. And don't tell me about business decisions. No normal business could get by with pissing on customers all over the country, in favor of the customers in a single city.

And BTW - you don't know shit about who this favors. Nobody ever plays a b2b against the same team, in the same arena. Not ever. You can't tell me that playing in front of the same hostile crowd, with playoff intensity, two nights in a row is an advantage. I don't know what you sell, but you aren't selling that.

Power to the proletariat, NBA style? You fucking loon.

Back to backs against same team is not a new thing. The numbers reflect that sweeps in that scenario are rare and more times than not, the teams split.

Look at the numbers.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:11 AM
No, we're just the customers. It's our place to pay for everything, and shut the fuck up, right? After all, that's what customers are for, isn't it? To provide income for someone else? Your customers must just love you, with an attitude like that

BTW, you are not a customer. You are not going to these games. You are sitting on your ass watching on tv, you have not paid one dime to watch these games on the road.

You fuckers are spoiled. Before these big tv contracts, we fans had to listen to games on the radio, not every playoff game was even on tv. We had to do pay per view to watch Spurs in playoffs....so stop your whining.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:16 AM

The NBA's priority is money, not the quality of games, not the health of the players. Too many teams, too many games (B2B), and too little talent.

You think there was more quality in yesterday's game( not a back to back) than you will see in game 4(back to back) of Spurs series?

I am willing to wager that the shooting percentages will be much better in the Spurs game than you had yesterday.

cheguevara
05-14-2012, 11:31 AM
yeah the massive injuries to NBA players is nothing new and not related at all to the schedule... oh wait

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
yeah the massive injuries to NBA players is nothing new and not related at all to the schedule... oh wait

Yeah, they never have injuries in any other year.:rolleyes

You remember the year 1996? They year 2000?

cheguevara
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
shortened schedule, more games per week, no training camps.

yeah that has nothing to do with the number of injuries this year :rolleyes

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
shortened schedule, more games per week, no training camps.

yeah that has nothing to do with the number of injuries this year :rolleyes

I guess they should have scrubbed the season.

GSH
05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Nobody ever plays a b2b against the same team, in the same arena. Not ever.

Back to backs against same team is not a new thing.

Look at the numbers.

Really? It's common to have a b2b against the same team, in the same arena? (Which is what I said, and the only real question here.) How about you look at the numbers, and show me one example. Because if you can't give even one example, you're just another fucking blowhard.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Really? It's common to have a b2b against the same team, in the same arena? (Which is what I said, and the only real question here.) How about you look at the numbers, and show me one example. Because if you can't give even one example, you're just another fucking blowhard.

Not same arena, but I'm talking about back to back against same opponent. It is harder to win both games when you are back to back.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Btw, we Spurs fans should never complain about b2b2b.
In the two shortened seasons when the b2b2b games were on schedule, the Spurs were the NBA leaders in total wins in that format.

They have 10 wins and 2 losses in the two times that they hade to play on 3 consecutive nights...so STFU and stop whining, because we Spurs fans have benefited more than anyone in lockout seasons

temujin
05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
NBA is a business, first and foremost.

Business-wise, you want your big market teams to compete.

You have the Lakers and Clippers, out of tough 7 games battles, playing Monday-Tuesday back-to-backs on the road (B2B2B for Clippers) and the respective series are very very very likely 2-0.

Small and mid-size market teams (OKC and SAS) have the easy way.

Oh but they deserve it!
Let's be fair and sportsman-like!

It's wonderful to notice that there is always someone rediscovering hot water.

GSH
05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Not same arena, but I'm talking about back to back against same opponent. It is harder to win both games when you are back to back.

So in other words, you just made up some shit that I didn't say, and then told me I was wrong?

What I said was that playing two nights in a row, against the same hostile crowd is a decided disadvantage. Especially games with playoff intensity. It's a totally different situation. And the NBA chose to saddle both teams with the better record, and give that advantage to the two teams from LA. And the only excuse they gave was scheduling. But there is no way that it is easier to schedule 4 games in a single arena, in a single weekend. So there must be some other reason... but what could it be?

...so STFU and stop whining, because we Spurs fans have benefited more than anyone in lockout seasons

Just a little hint - you should probably stop telling people that they have to shut the fuck up, unless you just enjoy being an unlikable asshole. People come here to share thoughts. If you're the only one who can have an opinion, it's going to get pretty dull.

Actually, it's going to get really, really fucking dull.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
So in other words, you just made up some shit that I didn't say, and then told me I was wrong?

What I said was that playing two nights in a row, against the same hostile crowd is a decided disadvantage. Especially games with playoff intensity. It's a totally different situation. And the NBA chose to saddle both teams with the better record, and give that advantage to the two teams from LA. And the only excuse they gave was scheduling. But there is no way that it is easier to schedule 4 games in a single arena, in a single weekend. So there must be some other reason... but what could it be?

Just a little hint - you should probably stop telling people that they have to shut the fuck up, unless you just enjoy being an unlikable asshole. People come here to share thoughts. If you're the only one who can have an opinion, it's going to get pretty dull.

Actually, it's going to get really, really fucking dull.

STFU is not meant to be an insult...to me it is just like saying get the fuck out of here....:p:

My apologies.

I did not make something up, we just had two different interpretations of my original statement about playing back to back against same team. IMO, it is hard to win both, so imo, it favors the team that benefits from a split, and that is the road team. Now do you understand the words coming out of my mouth? :)

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Besides, I am so starved for Spurs bball, I don't care if they play 4 straight nights.

GSH
05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
STFU is not meant to be an insult...to me it is just like saying get the fuck out of here....:p:

My apologies.

I did not make something up, we just had two different interpretations of my original statement about playing back to back against same team. IMO, it is hard to win both, so imo, it favors the team that benefits from a split, and that is the road team. Now do you understand the words coming out of my mouth? :)

Strangely enough, that sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. :toast

I think playing a b2b in the same arena, against the same team and hometown crowd, is a disadvantage. You don't. Just a difference of opinion. I understand the need for a b2b, due to the compressed schedule, and I wouldn't bitch about that.

But, like I said, scheduling 4 NBA games in the same arena, in the same weekend, has to be a lot harder logistically. Throw in a hockey game (yes, they have a hockey game in the Staples Center this weekend too), and the scheduling really doesn't make any sense at all to me.

One thing I still disagree with you about. You talk about how much money the networks spend on television rights, and then turn around and say that the only customers are the ones who actually go to the games. I don't think you would have said that if you'd thought about it for a minute. The TV audiences (customers) are where the real money is at. You damn betcha we're customers. Do you have any customers who feel like they have to keep quiet and accept whatever you give them? The only reason the NBA can feel that way is the anti-trust agreement. In return, they are supposed to balance the needs of the smaller markets, even though it doesn't fully optimize profits - in the short run, at least. If for no other reason than the large market teams need the small market teams to have someone to play against. Without SA, Utah, OKC, etc. the league couldn't exist - and it damned sure couldn't sell all that advertising.

Jimcs50
05-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Strangely enough, that sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. :toast

I think playing a b2b in the same arena, against the same team and hometown crowd, is a disadvantage. You don't. Just a difference of opinion. I understand the need for a b2b, due to the compressed schedule, and I wouldn't bitch about that.

But, like I said, scheduling 4 NBA games in the same arena, in the same weekend, has to be a lot harder logistically. Throw in a hockey game (yes, they have a hockey game in the Staples Center this weekend too), and the scheduling really doesn't make any sense at all to me.

One thing I still disagree with you about. You talk about how much money the networks spend on television rights, and then turn around and say that the only customers are the ones who actually go to the games. I don't think you would have said that if you'd thought about it for a minute. The TV audiences (customers) are where the real money is at. You damn betcha we're customers. Do you have any customers who feel like they have to keep quiet and accept whatever you give them? The only reason the NBA can feel that way is the anti-trust agreement. In return, they are supposed to balance the needs of the smaller markets, even though it doesn't fully optimize profits - in the short run, at least. If for no other reason than the large market teams need the small market teams to have someone to play against. Without SA, Utah, OKC, etc. the league couldn't exist - and it damned sure couldn't sell all that advertising.

Well, I guess I am just jaded. I'm used to The Man dictating what we watch when we watch it, and so on and so forth, and I just stopped worrying about it years ago. I just know that it is so much better than when I was watching my Spurs in the late 70s and early 80s when they were hardly on free tv. Had to fin a bar to go watch them.....so today I am just happy to be able to watch every playoff game.