PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm Wary - Spurs vs. Clippers Playoff Preview

timvp
05-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Personally, I wanted the Grizzlies. Knowing how competitive the Spurs are and how much they hated last year's series against Memphis, I'm confident that San Antonio also wanted the Grizzlies. (In case you missed in, due to a bout of premature epostulation, I wrote out why I thought the Spurs would sweep the Grizzlies (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197008).)

With the Clippers digging deep and grinding out a Game 7 win in Memphis, we're now set for a Spurs versus Clippers second round matchup. While I still think the Spurs will beat the Clippers and advance to the 2012 Western Conference, I'm not nearly as confident that this will be an easy series.

As I continue to ponder my final prediction, here are the areas that are giving me reason to recalibrate my enthusiasm.

Letdown Likely
Against the Grizzlies, there was no way the Spurs were going to come out not ready to play. The Game 1 loss last year turned out to be the difference so there was no doubt in my mind that San Antonio would be ready to rumble from the first possession. But now against the Clippers, I'm not so sure. Everyone knows L.A. has three starters dealing with injuries in Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Caron Butler. The Spurs were surely watching as the Clippers looked underwhelming for a majority of the Memphis series. Add in the long layoff and I think a letdown early in the series is inevitable.

Steve Nash Redux
The last time the Spurs were in the second round, they faced off against a superstar point guard who was supposedly slowed by a hip injury. If you remember correctly, Steve Nash was an injury question mark back in 2010 when he was just 4-for-12 with 12 turnovers in the final two games of Phoenix's first round series against Portland. Thinking Nash was hobbled, the Spurs decided to try to let Nash beat them ... and Nash more than obliged. He exploded for 33 points on 13-for-19 shooting to go along with ten assists in the Game 1 victory for the Suns that set the stage for the sudden sweep. Fast forward to today and it’s another superstar point guard that is dealing with a hip injury in Chris Paul. In the last three games of the Grizzlies series, Paul averaged only 16.3 points and five assists. I, for one, hope the Spurs don't tempt the existence of deja vu by daring Paul to beat them in Game 1. That didn’t work out too well last time.

Small Guards Galore
Perhaps the biggest weakness of San Antonio's defense is the ability to defend small guards. Outside of Tony Parker, there's no one on the team who is above average at defending such players. More bluntly, everyone else is either bad or really bad at defending small guards. Unfortunately, the Clippers have four small guards who can play in Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams and Randy Foye. When Parker is on the bench, Gary Neal is going to be a major defensive liability no matter who he's defending. Manu Ginobili has done a much better job defending size than speed this season. In this series, Ginobili is going to be forced to defend smaller, quicker players who can score. If you've been following along this season, you know that's not a good thing.

Battle Tested
Heading into the second round, the Clippers are about as battle tested as humanly possible. They climbed out of a huge deficit in Game 1. They won close, hard fought contests in Game 3 and Game 4. And following the disappointment of losing Game 6 at home, the Clippers showed an amazing amount of resiliency by bouncing back and winning Game 7 on the road. The Spurs, on the other hand, have had clear sailing for more than a month now. As good as San Antonio is right now, there's no way to classify this team as battle tested.

Elite Offense
We know the Spurs had the NBA's most efficient offense, but the Clippers are elite in their own right. They were fourth in the league in offensive efficiency, averaging 108.5 points per 100 possessions. The Clippers were also the league's second least turnover-prone team – one spot ahead of San Antonio. If the Spurs get in a shootout with the Clippers, Los Angeles has enough firepower to put up a fight. In fact, that's exactly what happened the last time these two teams met. There was a shootout and the Clippers beat the Spurs in the AT&T Center by a final score of 120-108.

Pick-and-Roll Frenzy
As much as Tim Duncan has turned back the clock this season, he's still 36-years-old and he's still a below average defender of the pick-and-roll on most nights. Against the Clippers, Duncan is going to be forced to defend against pick-and-roll sets more than 40 times per game. That won't be easy and it could wear him down as the series progresses. If Blake Griffin is limited due to injury, that will just mean even more pick-and-rolls for Duncan to defend.

Combustible Shooters
The Spurs have had issues with opponents catching fire from long range. Look no further than the last time these two teams faced off when Mo Williams erupted for 33 points on 7-for-9 three-point shooting. Against the Jazz, the Spurs didn't have to worry about losing games due to poor perimeter defense. Against the Grizzlies, the Spurs could have again been confident that they'd win a jumpshooting contest. However, these Clippers have a gaggle of explosive shooters. From Mo Williams to Randy Foye to Nick Young to Chris Paul, L.A. has players who can beat you if your perimeter defense is lax.

Snail's Pace
These aren't your older brother's Spurs. These Spurs like to get out and run. Not only do the Spurs run for easy buckets, they run to create mismatches that they can then exploit in their early-offense sets. The bad news is that the Clippers are going to splash some cold water on that strategy. Not only are they the slowest paced team still alive in the playoffs, Paul is without question the game's best player at controlling the pace of games. In the regular season, the Clippers played at a pace of 91.8 possessions per game. To beat the Grizzlies, they dropped that number to under 90. The Spurs, conversely, averaged 95.1 possessions per game and they've played at the league's fastest pace so far in the playoffs. However, it's going to be next to impossible to speed up this series with Paul at the helm of the Clippers. And that's unfortunate because the Spurs have lost only one time since Feb. 22 in games that have had at least 95 possessions.

Depth Matched
Against almost every team in the NBA, the Spurs have a decided advantage when it comes to depth; San Antonio rolls ten deep and there's nary a letdown when the bench unit is on the court. Keyword: Almost. The Clippers very well could be the only exception to that statement still alive in the championship race. They too have ten players who can contribute on a nightly basis. In Game 7 against the Grizzlies, their bench of Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams, Nick Young, Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin basically won the game by playing remarkably well down the stretch. As good as San Antonio's bench is right now, it would be a tall order to ask them to duplicate what the Clippers bench did to eliminate Memphis. Since rest will be at a premium in this upcoming series, L.A.'s reserves are going to be even more important than usual. Expect ten on ten action -- which is something you almost never see in the playoffs.

Best Closer
There's a lot of talk about who the best closer is in the NBA. While there are a lot of great players in this league who step up in money time, I think Paul is the most dangerous all-around threat late in the game. He steps up under pressure and can beat you with a shot or a pass. The stats agree: in the clutch, Paul averaged more than 40 points and eight assists per 48 minutes. He was also far more productive in fourth quarters than any other quarter. In a close playoff game, he's not a guy you want to see on the opposing team, to say the least.

Venti Quattro
05-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Blake and Chris are hurt. Why wouldn't you want the Clippers more?

timvp
05-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Blake and Chris are hurt. Why wouldn't you want the Clippers more?

Steve Nash was even more hurt. That didn't work out too well for the Spurs.

T Park
05-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Those are 10 big kicks to the nuts...

T Park
05-13-2012, 11:37 PM
I think those Suns a couple years ago had a better team around Nash however. Paul doesnt have a career year Channing Frye, nor an Amare Stoudamire who when healthy was better than Blake Griffin.

That said, I think Griffin's health is more of a detriment than Paul's.

Mugen
05-13-2012, 11:38 PM
The only things that really concern me are the Small Guards & Outside shooting.

Duncan in the PnR doesn't concern me as much because the Clippers dont have a big that can shoot outside of 5ft and force Duncan to switch onto the perimeter like Frye, ZBo, or even Marc Gasol.

You need to check out that Worst Matchups for the Spurs thread again tbh :lol

Trainwreck2100
05-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Alot of the series will come down to Spurs 3 point shooting, the best 3 point shooting team facing the worse three point shooting defense left in the playoffs. As much as you want to talk about being battle tested the Clippers didn't have to worry about that against Memphis because they were horrible from distance

DPG21920
05-13-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm not concerned because of execution. Memphis didnt make LA pay for their undisciplined play. While the Clips have solid defensive big men, they will surrender looks after the initial pass. Those are both key items SA has over Memphis.

LA has proven to be resilient, but this has the feel of a team that sighs the sigh of relief since they reached their goal.

Stringer_Bell
05-13-2012, 11:42 PM
The only dude that can possibly catch fire other than CP3 is Mo Williams, and even then it's not enough to slow us down.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Spurs have way more experience, the Clippers haven't done shit in the playoffs. More experienced players and coach. The Spurs are too smart for the Clippers, I think Spurs in 5. This Spurs team is yet to peak.

MmP
05-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Im much more concerned now than i was yesterday this series wont be easy. paul is not gonna be injured the whole series neither griffin

DontStopBelieving
05-13-2012, 11:45 PM
The only dude that can possibly catch fire other than CP3 is Mo Williams, and even then it's not enough to slow us down.

I recall Randy Foye killing us this year tbh.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2012, 11:49 PM
^Foye is a scrub and you should not worry.

Nathan89
05-13-2012, 11:50 PM
(In case you missed in, due to a bout of premature epostulation, I wrote out why I thought the Spurs would sweep the Grizzlies (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197008).)

Battle Tested
Heading into the second round, the Clippers are about as battle tested as humanly possible. They climbed out of a huge deficit in Game 1. They won close, hard fought contests in Game 3 and Game 4. And following the disappointment of losing Game 6 at home, the Clippers showed an amazing amount of resiliency by bouncing back and winning Game 7 on the road. The Spurs, on the other hand, have had clear sailing for more than a month now. As good as San Antonio is right now, there's no way to classify this team as battle tested.

So you wanted the Spurs to go another round without getting challenged?

SpurPadre
05-13-2012, 11:51 PM
my biggest fear is TP getting caught up in a one-on-one game vs. Paul and forgeting to play team ball. I just know Paul is gonna try to bait him into it, too.

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2012, 11:52 PM
As a Spur fan you cannot be worried about this series, because if they win, they will have a tougher opponent in the WCF. The Thunder and Lakers are both tougher teams to beat than the Clippers.

Spurs da champs
05-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Mo Williams is the one who went off on us, but I'm honestly thinking that Patty should get some spot up minutes because I see Gary getting burned very badly by Bledsoe or Williams.

FvckMavs
05-13-2012, 11:56 PM
It will be tougher than Jazz. But still easier than OKC or LAL. If we can't beat LAC, then we don't deserve a championship.

Trainwreck2100
05-13-2012, 11:57 PM
It will be tougher than Jazz. But still easier than OKC or LAL. If we can't beat LAC, then we don't deserve a championship.

If they can't beat the Clippers then they will be eliminated.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2012, 11:58 PM

Nick Young says hi.

2:47.0 N. Young makes 3-pt shot from 24 ft (assist by C. Paul) +3 87-96

2:15.0 N. Young makes 3-pt shot from 24 ft (assist by C. Paul) +3 90-96

1:47.0 N. Young makes 3-pt shot from 24 ft (assist by C. Paul) +3 93-96

dbreiden83080
05-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Game 1 will be interesting.. Clips may be beat to shit mentally as much as physically and need a game to get into the series. So Spurs need to jump all over them at home and get up 2-0. They get up 2-0 and the series is over IMO..

dbreiden83080
05-14-2012, 12:03 AM
2 great offenses so if this is a shoot-out i take the Spurs. We have more weapons...

ElNono
05-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Nonsense. The Paul vs Nash comparison just doesn't fly, because Nash had no problem switching between assist man and massive scorer. CP3 isn't that guy. He can put up points on a given night, but you can't ask him to carry the load night it and night out.

Add to that the fact that Nash was surrounded by simply better talent for that kind of game (Amare for the pick and roll, Grant Hill and Jason Richardson for the mid-range and Frye acting as the stretch 4). They also had hustle guys off the bench in Admunson and Dudley. And the Spurs was still a very limited team with Roger Mason and Keith Bogans off the bench. Suns also had home court advantage.

Furthermore, unlike the Memphis series, he will have to cover a quick guy like Tony. No more walking around following a slow footed guy like Conley Jr.

As I pointed out in another thread, the Spurs will have to be very careful to defend the 3 point shot. Guys like Mo Williams, Foye and Young can catch fire rather quickly. The Clipps look big inside with guys like DJ, Griffin and KMart, but they're low basketball IQ players that shouldn't require more than single cover. There's no reason for the Spurs to start leaving shooters open.

Lastly, the Clipps are riding the high note from game 7. If the Spurs can smack them back down to earth in Game 1, this might end up being a fairly quick series.

Spurs simply have the much better talent, depth, execution, coaching, and home court advantage. In some areas the difference is actually abysmal (execution, coaching).

Spurs are due for a letdown though, so I think 5 games is reasonable.

Spurs da champs
05-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Nonsense. The Paul vs Nash comparison just doesn't fly, because Nash had no problem switching between assist man and massive scorer. CP3 isn't that guy. He can put up points on a given night, but you can't ask him to carry the load night it and night out.

Add to that the fact that Nash was surrounded by simply better talent for that kind of game (Amare for the pick and roll, Grant Hill and Jason Richardson for the mid-range and Frye acting as the stretch 4). They also had hustle guys off the bench in Admunson and Dudley. And the Spurs was still a very limited team with Roger Mason and Keith Bogans off the bench. Suns also had home court advantage.

Furthermore, unlike the Memphis series, he will have to cover a quick guy like Tony. No more walking around following a slow footed guy like Conley Jr.

As I pointed out in another thread, the Spurs will have to be very careful to defend the 3 point shot. Guys like Mo Williams, Foye and Young can catch fire rather quickly. The Clipps look big inside with guys like DJ, Griffin and KMart, but they're low basketball IQ players that shouldn't require more than single cover. There's no reason for the Spurs to start leaving shooters open.

Lastly, the Clipps are riding the high note from game 7. If the Spurs can smack them back down to earth in Game 1, this might end up being a fairly quick series.

Spurs simply have the much better talent, depth, execution, coaching, and home court advantage. In some areas the difference is actually abysmal (execution, coaching).

You're very ignorant, 1st off Steve Nash is the guy who had problems alternating between assist man & scorer, not Chris Paul just look at his last series. Also :lol @ thinking Mike Conley is slow footed this was the same guy who was giving Tony trouble last season. :rolleyes

But I agree with the rest of what you, but man you're underrating Chris Paul big time!

GSH
05-14-2012, 12:10 AM
As always, the points are valid and well put. The one thing I think is worth noting is that when the Spurs lost to the Clippers back in early March, their starting lineup was: Gary Neal, Danny Green, Richard Jefferson, Duncan, and Blair. And while giving up 36 to Paul was a problem, the real killer was giving up 33 to Mo Williams, who went 7-9 from the 3P line. Well - that and going 20-32 from the FT line that night.

If the Griz had won today, they would be a confident team who had come back from a 3-1 deficit. The Clips are a team who almost blew a 3-1 deficit, and just managed to get a win in one of the ugliest games of the season. Other than the fact that they advanced, they don't have a lot of cause to be confident.

My biggest concern is Game 1. It always makes for a tough series when you lose that first one at home, and the Spurs have every possibility of showing some rust. That's my concern, but I don't think it's going to happen. The addition of Diaw and Jackson, plus the subtraction of Jefferson make this a MUCH better team than the one that lost to the Clippers on March 9. That, plus the presence of Tony Parker - especially since he's healthy and rested.

SpurPadre
05-14-2012, 12:10 AM
If TP doesn't get caught up with trying to upstage Paul, we will sweep the Paper Clips, in my opinion. Experience, discipline, forcing Blake to shoot jumpers, and transition D will be the keys...and having a Big 3 be the Big 3 against their Big 2. It should be a gimme...but TP can make it much, much harder if he gets baited by Paul.

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2012, 12:13 AM
. Also :lol @ thinking Mike Conley is slow footed this was the same guy who was giving Tony trouble last season. :rolleyes

!

Tony playing in his usual playoff mode gave Tony trouble last year

Buddy Holly
05-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Why does LJ keep bringing up Nash and the 2010 series? The Spurs had a crappy bench, a shitty Hill and an even shittier Jefferson. This years Spurs team would sweep those Suns and I'm not kidding.

crc21209
05-14-2012, 12:14 AM
CP3 always has been, and always will be a tough cover for the Spurs. That I give them, they also have a very good bench. But the advantage the Spurs have is their post play. Duncan, Splitter, and Diaw can all play with their back to the basket, while Griffin is VERY limited offensively, Jordan and Evans is mainly a rebounder/defender, and K-Mart may be the only guy who can pop a 15 foot jumper. Spurs in 5....

cherylsteele
05-14-2012, 12:15 AM
The Clippers haven't played the Spurs since they have acquired Sjax, Diaw, and since then the defense has steady improved, and the offense is even more balanced, and to top it off the one game the Clippers did win this year, Tony did not play.

The Clippers' offense is overrated IMO, 17 asst on 33 fg made
The Spurs are much more efficient 22.5 asst/34 fg made, during the playoffs.

The Clippers' ball movement is subpar, and they rely too much on their athleticism, and they are not as fundamentally sound as the Spurs.

The Spurs in 5 at the most, barring injuries.

SpurPadre
05-14-2012, 12:17 AM
CP3 always has been, and always will be a tough cover for the Spurs. That I give them, they also have a very good bench. But the advantage the Spurs have is their post play. Duncan, Splitter, and Diaw can all play with their back to the basket, while Griffin is VERY limited offensively, Jordan and Evans is mainly a rebounder/defender, and K-Mart may be the only guy who can pop a 15 foot jumper. Spurs in 5....

K-Mart also tends to defend TD well. That will be a match-up to watch.

therealtruth
05-14-2012, 12:18 AM
George Hill starting had alot to do with Steve Nash playing well in '10. I think if Pop had started Parker from game 1 we would have won the series. Like the Grizzlies showed you can't give away games in the playoffs.

It seems kind of weird that the Clippers play at a slow pace yet have a high offensive efficiency.

The Spurs do not want to face Chris Paul in the clutch with their untested defense.

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Why does LJ keep bringing up Nash and the 2010 series? The Spurs had a crappy bench, a shitty Hill and an even shittier Jefferson. This years Spurs team would sweep those Suns and I'm not kidding.

I can see where he's coming from, that year felt alot like this year does know, just extreme confidence that the Spurs would win. Then they got steamrolled by scrubs. (Goran Dragic) And if it's one thing from that year the seems to have stayed with the Spurs, it was the ability to let shit players on the other team go HAM. And The Clips are loaded with shit players.

timvp
05-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Nonsense. The Paul vs Nash comparison just doesn't fly, because Nash had no problem switching between assist man and massive scorer. CP3 isn't that guy. He can put up points on a given night, but you can't ask him to carry the load night it and night out.Not sure what CP3 you are talking about. I'm talking about the one on the Clippers. You know, the one who averaged more point this season than Nash ever has. And the one who has topped Nash's career-high in points per game in three seasons and whose best year in assists is higher than any of Nash's seasons.

Sounds like someone fell for the Nash MVP hype, tbh.

Add to that the fact that Nash was surrounded by simply better talent for that kind of game (Amare for the pick and roll, Grant Hill and Jason Richardson for the mid-range and Frye acting as the stretch 4). They also had hustle guys off the bench in Admunson and Dudley. And the Spurs was still a very limited team with Roger Mason and Keith Bogans off the bench. Suns also had home court advantage.I didn't say the Spurs were going to lose the series. In fact, I said they were going to win. I was just using Nash as an example as why it's dangerous to put all your eggs in the "hip injury" basket.

No more walking around following a slow footed guy like Conley Jr.A top five fastest player in the league who is the son of one of the fastest people alive is slow footed? :rollin

As I pointed out in another thread, the Spurs will have to be very careful to defend the 3 point shot. Guys like Mo Williams, Foye and Young can catch fire rather quickly. The Clipps look big inside with guys like DJ, Griffin and KMart, but they're low basketball IQ players that shouldn't require more than single cover. There's no reason for the Spurs to start leaving shooters open.Agree. But they left them wide open in the last game these two teams played.

Lastly, the Clipps are riding the high note from game 7. If the Spurs can smack them back down to earth in Game 1, this might end up being a fairly quick series.The Spurs aren't riding a high note? Winning Streak Spurs Fan Syndrome in full effect.

Spurs simply have the much better talent, depth, execution, coaching, and home court advantage. In some areas the difference is actually abysmal (execution, coaching).WSSFS evident here, fwiw.

timvp
05-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Why does LJ keep bringing up Nash and the 2010 series? When did I bring them up previously?

This years Spurs team would sweep those Suns and I'm not kidding.WSSFS.

Capster
05-14-2012, 12:21 AM
SPURS ROCK! nough said!:lol

crc21209
05-14-2012, 12:22 AM
The Clippers haven't played the Spurs since they have acquired Sjax, Diaw, and since then the defense has steady improved, and the offense is even more balanced, and to top it off the one game the Clippers did win this year, Tony did not play.

The Clippers' offense is overrated IMO, 17 asst on 33 fg made
The Spurs are much more efficient 22.5 asst/34 fg made, during the playoffs.

The Clippers' ball movement is subpar, and they rely too much on their athleticism, and they are not as fundamentally sound as the Spurs.

The Spurs in 5 at the most, barring injuries.

+1. The Grizzlies don't move the ball anywhere near as well as the Spurs do. The Spurs ball movement should drive the Clippers defense crazy. On the other hand the Clippers ball movement is horrible. Their offense consists of CP3/Butler/Foye going 1 on 1 or PnR with them.

Buddy Holly
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
I can see where he's coming from, that year felt alot like this year does know, just extreme confidence that the Spurs would win. Then they got steamrolled by scrubs. (Goran Dragic) And if it's one thing from that year the seems to have stayed with the Spurs, it was the ability to let shit players on the other team go HAM. And The Clips are loaded with shit players.

Goran isn't a scrub.

Sure there was confidence because we got by Dallas. But we barely hit 50 wins that season so again, it's not even remotely similar to this season aside from it being a 50 win season.

Buddy Holly
05-14-2012, 12:24 AM
When did I bring them up previously?

You brought up Nash going bonkers on the Spurs in 2010 twice in this thread.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 12:25 AM
You're very ignorant, 1st off Steve Nash is the guy who had problems alternating between assist man & scorer, not Chris Paul just look at his last series.

What did I miss?

CP3 had a 14 point game (game 1), 11 point game (game 6), shot 7-17 to score 19 points (game 7), 10-22 to score 27 (game 4).

Nash, on the other hand, didn't had a game with less than 16ppg, and only one game where he shot under 50%.

Also :lol @ thinking Mike Conley is slow footed this was the same guy who was giving Tony trouble last season. :rolleyes

That makes him quick? :rolleyes

lol ignorant

Obstructed_View
05-14-2012, 12:26 AM
One thing's for sure, the best closer and most clutch player in the NBA is in LA, and the Spurs are going to face him this round. The Spurs had best make sure to respect him. If they let the Clippers shooters get some confidence, it could get really tough.

Buddy Holly
05-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Basically, I expect something along the lines of the following being included in Lj's game grades Tuesday night/Weds morning:

"As you know, I was wary of this match up for a number of various reasons (posted here) but thankfully I was proven wrong, as the Spurs... "

timvp
05-14-2012, 12:28 AM
You brought up Nash going bonkers on the Spurs in 2010 twice in this thread.

:lol Oh I thought maybe I brought it up somewhere else and didn't remember. Not sure if twice in the same thread classifies as "keep bringing up Nash" but I guess that's debatable.

dbreiden83080
05-14-2012, 12:30 AM
the Spurs ball movement is just so superb they should be able to score 110 a night on these guys.. Clips are not the most disciplined of teams.. They rely on talent to win with a ton of 1 on 1 play..

Buddy Holly
:lol Oh I thought maybe I brought it up somewhere else and didn't remember. Not sure if twice in the same thread classifies as "keep bringing up Nash" but I guess that's debatable.

Nope, I meant this thread. I feel it doesn't need to be brought up once, let alone twice.

I think you're giving yourself reasons to be wary. imo

100%duncan
Well, I think the Spurs can handle the Clippers in 5. Yes, these are good points but I'm confident that TP and the crew can handle CP3 and the monkeyballers.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Not sure what CP3 you are talking about. I'm talking about the one on the Clippers. You know, the one who averaged more point this season than Nash ever has. And the one who has topped Nash's career-high in points per game in three seasons and whose best year in assists is higher than any of Nash's seasons.

I'm talking the Clippers playoffs CP3, who can lay eggs like 11 point and 14 point nights, or 10-22 and 7-17 nights... What CP3 are you watching?

I didn't say the Spurs were going to lose the series. In fact, I said they were going to win. I was just using Nash as an example as why it's dangerous to put all your eggs in the "hip injury" basket.

I'm not counting on any "injuries". After all, CP3 was healthy in Game 1, and he was still fairly mediocre.

A top five fastest player in the league who is the son of one of the fastest people alive is slow footed? :rollin

Where does he ranks in fastest PG's in the league? By league standards, he's slow footed.

Agree. But they left them wide open in the last game these two teams played.

Well, should be a point of emphasis now that we're only playing the Clippers.

The Spurs aren't riding a high note? Winning Streak Spurs Fan Syndrome in full effect.

I said the Spurs aren't riding a high note? Quote?

WSSFS evident here, fwiw.

So in what area (from talent, depth, execution, coaching) do you think the Clippers have an advantage?

No WSSFS here. Already pointed out the Spurs are due for a letdown. I don't think it'll last more than a game.

And FWIW, ElNono was right bout dem Grizzlies :hat

spurs10
05-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I hope we will be waiting on the winner of OKC/Fakers and getting a little more rest before the WCFs. Spurs in 5...

Arcadian
05-14-2012, 12:37 AM
[...]I think a letdown early in the series is inevitable.

Lol, no it's not. A letdown is never "inevitable." That's just pessimistic.

Perhaps the biggest weakness of San Antonio's defense is the ability to defend small guards.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's large centers. If the opposing team's biggest weapon is small guards, I'm not worried. Post players can potentially do more damage than guards, both as a general basketball principle, and in relation to this Spurs team.

As good as San Antonio is right now, there's no way to classify this team as battle tested.

I guess, but that's a good thing. That means no team has been able to challenge the Spurs enough to test them.

As much as Tim Duncan has turned back the clock this season, he's still 36-years-old and he's still a below average defender of the pick-and-roll on most nights. Against the Clippers, Duncan is going to be forced to defend against pick-and-roll sets more than 40 times per game. That won't be easy and it could wear him down as the series progresses. If Blake Griffin is limited due to injury, that will just mean even more pick-and-rolls for Duncan to defend.

I'm pretty sure Duncan will not be defending Griffin much regardless. I'm skeptical of your claim that Duncan is below average. And I don't follow your logic in the last sentence (less Griffin should lead to less pick-and-rolls).

Not only are they the slowest paced team still alive in the playoffs, Paul is without question the game's best player at controlling the pace of games.

I'm not threatened by that at all. The Spurs are fully capable of running a crisp half-court offense. I view the Spurs as a versatile team capable of playing any pace. So bring it on.

Depth Matched

Heh...nah. Our bench is still better than theirs.

Best Closer

They have one closer? We have at least three.

Whichever points I agreed with, I didn't quote. Overall, I think you're overstating the issue. And you're wrong about Memphis being a better matchup...that series would not have been a sweep, but this one might be.

timvp
05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Nope, I meant this thread. I feel it doesn't need to be brought up once, let alone twice.

The similarities are eery, tbh.

Nash got hurt two games before the end of his first round series.

CP3 got hurt two games before the end of his first round series.

Nash was diagnosed with a strained hip.

CP3 was diagnosed with a strained hip.

Spurs fans were predicting sweep because Nash was hurt.

Spurs fans are predicting sweep because CP3 is hurt.

Back in 2010, the Spurs decided to test Nash's health by going under screens and daring him to beat them with his jumper. It turned out to be a horrible idea that kickstarted the Suns to a sweep.

Let's hope that's where the similarities end.

P.S.

I haven't even given my prediction yet. Perhaps I predict a Spurs sweep. I'm just listing areas of concern. I know WSSFS causes fans to react violently to someone bringing up anything even slightly negative but I haven't figured out yet if these issues will cost the Spurs a couple games, one game or none.

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2012, 12:41 AM

Back in 2010, the Spurs decided to test Nash's health by going under screens and daring him to beat them with his jumper. It turned out to be a horrible idea that kickstarted the Suns to a sweep.

P.S.

I haven't even given my prediction yet. Perhaps I predict a Spurs sweep. I'm just listing areas of concern. I know WSSFS causes fans to react violently to someone bringing up anything even slightly negative but I haven't figured out yet if these issues will cost the Spurs a couple games, one game or none.

Similarities yes but the non Jefferson factor is big, he was so shit.

Arcadian
05-14-2012, 12:41 AM

Lol, it isn't "hype" if it really happened...twice in fact.

The Spurs aren't riding a high note? Winning Streak Spurs Fan Syndrome in full effect.

This applies to everything in life. People seek patterns and make predictions based on them. So yeah...when the Spurs are on a winning streak, we tend to think good things about them. I wouldn't call it a syndrome; it's a cognitive bias at best.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 12:44 AM

:lol I agree with some areas of negativity (perimeter shooting, due for a letdown). You can add Bonner being a concern as far as rebounding if Evans is out there.

Spurs da champs
05-14-2012, 12:45 AM
What did I miss?

CP3 had a 14 point game (game 1), 11 point game (game 6), shot 7-17 to score 19 points (game 7), 10-22 to score 27 (game 4).
You obviously didn't see Paul in the final minutes of game 1, he closed it out scoring & dishing, lol game 6 dude re injured his groin the game b4, game 4 10-22 for 27 points isn't bad & again look in overtime he was just killing the grizzlies.

Nash, on the other hand, didn't had a game with less than 16ppg, and only one game where he shot under 50%.
Nash isn't as good a closer or scorer as Paul & he usually had a better team then Paul in the PO's, he also didn't take as many shots as Paul. Nash in the PO's= choker.

That makes him quick? :rolleyes

That makes him slow? :rolleyes

lol ignorant
Ignorance is bliss.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Similarities yes but the non Jefferson factor is big, he was so shit.

We trotted Roger Mason Jr and Keith Bogans off the bench too... and Nash still had Amare on that series...

timvp
05-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm talking the Clippers playoffs CP3, who can lay eggs like 11 point and 14 point nights, or 10-22 and 7-17 nights... What CP3 are you watching?In the series before Nash destroyed the Spurs in 2012, he had games of 10, 13, 13, 14 and 15 points. He had turnover games of 7, 6, 5 and 5. He had shooting games of 3-for-8, 2-for-5 and 2-for-7.

2012 CP3 vs. Grizzlies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2010 Nash vs. Blazers

So I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm not counting on any "injuries". After all, CP3 was healthy in Game 1, and he was still fairly mediocre.Nash was healthy all the way up until Game 4 of that Blazers series. That didn't guarantee anything against the Spurs, obviously.

Where does he ranks in fastest PG's in the league? By league standards, he's slow footed. Conley is definitely among the fastest point guards. Parker is the fastest and Conley is the only point guard who is able to stay in front of him consistently. That should tell us something, tbh.

There's no way he's "slow footed".

And FWIW, ElNono was right bout dem Grizzlies :hatI would ax for a link but I'll go ahead and believe you :tu

Buddy Holly
05-14-2012, 12:49 AM

I think you're reading way too much into things. Similarities abound everywhere if you look hard enough.

I'd be calling it in five or even four with a 100% CP.

In 2010, you had a 50 win team that got out of the first round then faced a team looking for payback. Our role players than disappeared on us.

The Spurs this season, in the last two months, have been on a roll unlike many seen before.

Sure Clippers took out a Memphis team in seven, but we swept that same team this season. I have no doubts this Spurs team is taking out the Clippers quickly.

P.S.

I don't know what WSSFS stands for but I've seen a few other board initialisms, and like those I assume this one also has a negative connotation.

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't know what WSSFS stands for but I've seen a few other board initialisms, and like those I assume this one also has a negative connotation.

winning streak spurs fan syndrome

ElNono
05-14-2012, 12:53 AM
You obviously didn't see Paul in the final minutes of game 1, he closed it out scoring & dishing, lol game 6 dude re injured his groin the game b4, game 4 10-22 for 27 points isn't bad & again look in overtime he was just killing the grizzlies.

I watched the whole series. :lol

Paul got bailed out by Nick Young in Game 1, when the Clippers were down by 21, and Del Negro was already considering taking Paul out due to the groin injury.

10-22 isn't bad? And while he was great in that game that went to overtime, the game itself went to overtime because of a fuckup by Paul.

Paul is a good player, he just wasn't as good as Nash was with the Suns in 2010, against a flawed Spurs team.

Nash isn't as good a closer or scorer as Paul & he usually had a better team then Paul in the PO's, he also didn't take as many shots as Paul. Nash in the PO's= choker.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but then again, CP3 has yet to get out of the second round. Something Nash has done.

That makes him slow? :rolleyes
Ignorant.

I don't recall Mike Conley Jr blowing past anybody with his quick feet... do you?

Buddy Holly
05-14-2012, 12:56 AM
winning streak spurs fan syndrome

Oh. These are getting silly. My optimism and opinion have nothing to do with the streaks but the play of the team I've seen. It just so happens to coincide with the streak.

I mean, we had an 11 game win steak pretrade with Jefferson still on the team. I'd feel a hell of a lot differently if that 11 game win streak team was the one we were coming into the playoffs with.

Jefferson on the team. No Jax, no Diaw, no Mills.

capek
05-14-2012, 12:56 AM
This is a slightly more elaborate jinx thread imo tbh fwiw

Some of those points seem valid on first glance, but really it's a tempest in a tea pot. As long as they're disciplined about getting back on D, and they stay with their man at the 3 point line, the Clips will have a real hard time scoring enough points to beat us.

And I'm totally not buying that there will be a let down. I think with Jax back, the other changes, the depth leading to such a cohesive locker room, and what these guys have built with their long winning streaks, this team is chomping at the bit to get back on the court. If anything, I think it's more likely that the big letdown in game one will come from the Clips. They had to expend so much energy and emotion to win that game seven on the road, only two play game 1 of the next round 48 hours later, that there's a high likelihood that they'll be pretty damn spent once the game actually starts. Whereas I think the Spurs will surprise by how fluid they'll look, like they haven't missed a beat since they last played a week ago.

That could turn out to be wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me will happen.

timvp
05-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Lol, no it's not. A letdown is never "inevitable." That's just pessimistic. It'd be human nature to have a letdown with the other team hobbled and the team you actually wanted to play fishing. But perhaps the Spurs aren't human. We'll see.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's large centers. If the opposing team's biggest weapon is small guards, I'm not worried. Post players can potentially do more damage than guards, both as a general basketball principle, and in relation to this Spurs team. Large centers? Outside of that one Andrew Bynum game, what large center hurt the Spurs this year?

Off the top of my head, the Spurs held Howard, Hibbert, Monroe, Gortat, both Gasols and Kaman in check.

I guess, but that's a good thing. That means no team has been able to challenge the Spurs enough to test them. I agree it's a good thing. But going forward, can any Spurs fan honestly say they are confident in this team executing down the stretch to win a close game? Perhaps we can be blindly confident but we haven't seen that happen in a looooong time.

I'm pretty sure Duncan will not be defending Griffin much regardless. I'm skeptical of your claim that Duncan is below average. And I don't follow your logic in the last sentence (less Griffin should lead to less pick-and-rolls). Duncan has been below average at defending pick-and-rolls since at least 2009.

And the Clippers have two main sets: pick-and-roll and isolation for Griffin. If Griffin is hobbled, that means the Clippers will be down to one set, which would mean endless pick-and-rolls.

I'm not threatened by that at all. The Spurs are fully capable of running a crisp half-court offense. I view the Spurs as a versatile team capable of playing any pace. So bring it on. Glad you're confident but the Spurs are better the faster the pace. I agree they can win slower paced games too but that's not when these Spurs are best.

Heh...nah. Our bench is still better than theirs. Good to know.

And you're wrong about Memphis being a better matchup...that series would not have been a sweep, but this one might be.Also good to know. :tu

ElNono
05-14-2012, 01:02 AM
In the series before Nash destroyed the Spurs in 2012, he had games of 10, 13, 13, 14 and 15 points. He had turnover games of 7, 6, 5 and 5. He had shooting games of 3-for-8, 2-for-5 and 2-for-7.

2012 CP3 vs. Grizzlies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2010 Nash vs. Blazers

So I'm not sure what your point is.

The point is that the comparison isn't there. Nash shot 50%+ on 3/4 of the games, never scored under 16 ppg in the series, and run a tight ship.

I'm not lowballing CP3. He's a great player, but you have to look at him more individually. He just doesn't have such a great team around him that can exploit all his virtues, and he can't carry an efficient scoring load night in and night out.

For example, I think his Hornet team we beat in 2008 was a better team than these Clippers, and used him a lot better.

Nash was healthy all the way up until Game 4 of that Blazers series. That didn't guarantee anything against the Spurs, obviously.

I don't think the Spurs should take CP3 lightly, but I don't think he's something to fear either, at least, not at Nash's levels. Nash has a knack for getting in our player's head with the pick and roll. I just don't think CP3 has that, at least with the talent he has with him.

Conley is definitely among the fastest point guards. Parker is the fastest and Conley is the only point guard who is able to stay in front of him consistently. That should tell us something, tbh.

There's no way he's "slow footed".

On offense he is, which is what I pointed out. Conley isn't looking to drive to the basket like Tony is. I'm not even sure who the heck is going to guard TP on that team. Putting CP3 on him might just wear him out before halftime.

I would ax for a link but I'll go ahead and believe you :tu

I'll look it up, tbh. I also had to suspend my "ElNono right bout dem Lakers" until the OKC series. :hat

Spurs da champs
05-14-2012, 01:02 AM
I watched the whole series. :lol

Paul got bailed out by Nick Young in Game 1, when the Clippers were down by 21, and Del Negro was already considering taking Paul out due to the groin injury.

10-22 isn't bad? And while he was great in that game that went to overtime, the game itself went to overtime because of a fuckup by Paul.
No Del Negro was considering taking him out because the game was out of reach but again who got Young those shots? And again he scored when it mattered most & just torched the Grizzlies to close out the game.

Paul is a good player, he just wasn't as good as Nash was with the Suns in 2010, against a flawed Spurs team.
Eh trust me George Hill made Steve Nash look really good.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but then again, CP3 has yet to get out of the second round. Something Nash has done.
Yes well he never really had a team full of offensive weapons like Nash.

I don't recall Mike Conley Jr blowing past anybody with his quick feet... do you?
I don't recall Conley getting blown by, which is my point.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 01:04 AM
tbh, the whole "letdown" conundrum comes even from the fact that Pop himself was already allegedly spotted wondering if he should "toss" a game to stop with the psychological BS of the winning streak.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 01:11 AM
No Del Negro was considering taking him out because the game was out of reach but again who got Young those shots?

GOOD MOVE: Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said he considered pulling point guard Chris Paul around the six-minute mark due to his injured left groin.

So Paul gets the credit for the 3 assists to reserve Nick Young, but he doesn't get the blame because his team was 21 point down going into the 4th? :lol

Frankly, that game was won by Young and Reggie Evans, along with Rudy Gay.

And again he scored when it mattered most & just torched the Grizzlies to close out the game.

Torched? He scored 4 points in the 4th quarter... the last two on free throws...

Eh trust me George Hill made Steve Nash look really good.

Don't disagree.

Yes well he never really had a team full of offensive weapons like Nash.

Do you think he does now with these Clippers?

I don't recall Conley getting blown by, which is my point.

But which completely sidesteps mine. Do you think CP3 will have more work guarding Parker or Conley Jr?

DAF86
05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
^Foye is a scrub and you should not worry.

By now I thought you would have learnt not to be so overconfident, tbh.

DAF86
05-14-2012, 01:43 AM
That goes for you too Nono.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 01:59 AM
That goes for you too Nono.

I wouldn't classify it as overconfidence, tbh. I am confident that the Spurs are the better team in this series, and should win.

If you disagree, go ahead and tell me where do you think the Spurs have such a matchup problem that the Clipps can consistently exploit...

Barring injuries, I just don't see the Spurs losing this unless they're extremely sloppy guarding the 3 point line.

DAF86
05-14-2012, 02:07 AM
The Spurs should win but it will be tough.

Fabbs
05-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Letdown Likely
Against the Grizzlies, there was no way the Spurs were going to come out not ready to play. The Game 1 loss last year turned out to be the difference so there was no doubt in my mind that San Antonio would be ready to rumble from the first possession. But now against the Clippers, I'm not so sure. Everyone knows L.A. has three starters dealing with injuries in Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Caron Butler. The Spurs were surely watching as the Clippers looked underwhelming for a majority of the Memphis series. Add in the long layoff and I think a letdown early in the series is inevitable.
Won't the best coach in the NBA have some motivational method?

roycrikside
05-14-2012, 02:31 AM
Lengthy reverse jinx.

So many negatives... why not look at some positives?

1. Conley can guard TP somewhat. Paul can't. His only defensive tactic is going for steals. Besides that he just lets people go by him.

2. Nobody to guard Manu. I know he did a good job last year against Tony Allen. But still, between him, Mayo and Gay, that's a lot of size they can throw at him and wear him down, especially if they try to back him down and post him up. Now it'll be Manu who can post guys up, and the only guys they can put on him are either crappy defenders in Foye and Young, or a hobbled old guy in Butler.

3. No post threat for Duncan to guard. Yeah, Tim will have to move on the pick-and-roll, but he won't have to worry about the physical toll that banging takes since the Clips don't have any big post up guys. Jordan, Martin, Evans, none of them are back-to-the-basket guys. Diaw and Bonner will be guarding Griffin, who's like 6-9. Really, the way these playoffs break down, Tim might now have to guard another low-post scorer until 2013. He'll have more energy for his own post game and to rebound.

4. A worse rival coach. Hollins knows how to push the Spurs buttons. The key is to have zero respect for them and to treat them like punks. Del Negro has no idea and will be deferential at the altar of Pop.

5. No psychological advantage. I think the Grizzlies would've been cocky and confident as hell against us, even if it was misplaced. The Clips will just be happy to be here since they're banged up and know their coach is playing checkers while ours is playing chess.

6. Hack-a-whoever. For some reason Hollins never fouled anyone on purpose. Pop will send Evans, Jordan or Griffin to the line a bunch if we're down 5-10 pts late in games and make them knock down free throws.

7. They can't guard threes for shit. I mean, neither can we, but still.

8. Griffin can hardly move. His knee is in bad shape. This isn't going to be 2005 Stoudemire out there, folks.

9. We have a bench now. In 2010, we didn't, so the Suns analogy doesn't apply.

10. Kenyon Martin? Come on. Tim and Manu aren't going to lose to Kenyon freakin' Martin.

T Park
05-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Whos gonna guard Tim Duncan?

DAF86
05-14-2012, 02:48 AM
Whos gonna guard Tim Duncan?

Evans and Martin are pretty good defenders.

intlspurshk
05-14-2012, 02:48 AM
If SPURS cant even beat Clippers, they dont deserve any contender consideration. Just go fishing and rebuild.

chunticakes
05-14-2012, 02:55 AM
clips don't have goran dragic. we'll be fine...

Obstructed_View
05-14-2012, 03:06 AM
If only it were just Dragic. There's an unpleasant image of Grant Hill dropping jumpers over Duncan while he just stands there that I can't shake.

Kori Ellis
05-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Ehh... Spurs in 5. Two of the games will be close.

mountainballer
05-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Clippers have a huge advantage, because they are battle tested after those 7 close games and also Spurs are rusty after sitting for a week.
Spurs have a huge advantage, because they are well rested and healthy and Clipper are banged up and worn out after a brutal 7 games series.

take your view.

but there are some point that are out of discussion IMO.

Spurs are a superb offensive team. Clippers are a mediocre defensive team.
Clippers are a decent offensive team (at best), Spurs are a decent defensive team.

Spurs win.

Neal-Manu-Sjax-Bonner-Splitter >>>>> Bledsoe-Mo-Young-Martin-Evans

Spurs bench displays a size advantage of about 13''. (I know they won't go 10 deep, but likely Evabs and Bledsoe are out of a 8 rotation, so will Neal and Bonner, size advantage will still be significant)

T Park
05-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Evans and Martin are pretty good defenders.

lmao Kenyon martin on Duncan.

Good one.

polandprzem
05-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Why this preview was so late?

polandprzem
05-14-2012, 03:21 AM

Good one.

I don't know if it's good one.
Martin is a tough guy and when the refs are gonna let him play phisical with TD then Tim is going to have tough time.

Then you have Blake and Evans that can crash the boards.

IMO we will see as much Pick and pop as possible with Timmy

DAF86
05-14-2012, 03:41 AM

Good one.

crofl, ok.

Bruno
05-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Spurs haven't won a second round playoff game since 2008. Given that and even if Spurs are the heavily favorite to advance, it's hard to be really confident about Spurs chances in a playoff series.

Clippers quickness in the backcourt is something that worries me. Spurs aren't well equipped to defend these players. Mo Williams and Bledsoe could create a lot of troubles to Spurs second unit. Pop should have Patrick Mills on speed dial for this series. If Mo Williams start to catch fire while Parker is on the bench, Mills would be Spurs best answer against him.

FkLA
05-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but I dont think K-Marts pick and roll defense has been given enough attention. In the last game against the Clippers in LA he gave both Tony and Manu tons of fits in the 4th quarter...he was quick enough to stay in front of both of them and long enough to contest their shots. If Spurs struggle to run the pick and roll successfully it could definitely be a long series tbh.

100%duncan
05-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Spurs haven't won a second round playoff game since 2008. Given that and even if Spurs are the heavily favorite to advance, it's hard to be really confident about Spurs chances in a playoff series.

Clippers quickness in the backcourt is something that worries me. Spurs aren't well equipped to defend these players. Mo Williams and Bledsoe could create a lot of troubles to Spurs second unit. Pop should have Patrick Mills on speed dial for this series. If Mo Williams start to catch fire while Parker is on the bench, Mills would be Spurs best answer against him.

Bruno, I think it's unfair to judge how the Spurs will do because of their past performances. It was all in the past and this team is the best we've had since '08.

Cane
05-14-2012, 05:05 AM
The back to back will be interesting, and the Clippers do have depth and x-factors like Young and Williams. For some reason I'm looking forward to how the Spurs react to Reggie Evans. It'll also be interesting to see how Griffin plays, there's a twitter out there saying he could barely move on his injured knee, yikes

Anyway the Spurs better have taken note. Memphis lost that series almost as much as the Clippers won it, the Grizzlies' historical chokejob in game 1 was :wakeup

boutons_deux
05-14-2012, 05:31 AM
timvp's balls have shrivelled up and his dick has turtled.

Capt Bringdown
05-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Good analysis. The Clips might be a tougher out than most people think. Their Combustible Shooters concern me the most.
That's why rebounding will be key. No second-chance easy baskets for them. In other words, I hope we see very little of the Turd towers.

therealtruth
05-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Bruno, I think it's unfair to judge how the Spurs will do because of their past performances. It was all in the past and this team is the best we've had since '08.

If the Spurs play to their strengths they should be fine. If they try playing the other team's game then they are in trouble. They've got to dictate tempo and style of game.

kobyz
05-14-2012, 06:09 AM
you should add Reggie Evans in the Wary's department or even to the things to be afraid of, cause he's such a tough and smart defender, both at individual and team defense.

TampaDude
05-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Spurs got this. No worries.

jesterbobman
05-14-2012, 06:38 AM
The small guards are the only potential concern, but that while they'll have an advantage in speed, we'll have a size advantage, and we can help off of their bigs. If they end up with a ton of mid range jump shots from Griffin, K-Mart et al we'll be fine.

temujin
05-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Paul shoots 2s and 3s, assists, steals and orchestrates. Not to mention that he's clutchest in the NBA.
Basically, a combination of Magic and MJ, faster than the former, smarter than the latter.

Butler has championship(s) experience, having played last year for Dallas.

Griffin is physically overwhelming and a rounded bb player.
Jordan is smart, rebounds and blocks shots at will.

The starters are fantastic, but the reserves are even better.

Mo Williams will catch fire and punish from 3.
Young, Foye and Bledsoe will be unstoppeble for the Spurs slow backcourt.
Evans and Martin (another with championship experience) defend Pn'R like nobody ever did and crush the boards.
Evans, Griffin, Jordan are bigs with a unique capacity to never miss FTs.

Am I missing someone?

Oh yeah, Del Negro, the coach, is experienced, including a period with Pop, so he knows the system.

Clippers also have home court advantage.

On the other side, Spurs are old, have a slow backcourt, no decent bigs, no shot blocker, and no reliable shooter from 3.

In one word: doomed.

temujin
05-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Untill two days ago, it was the Memphis bigs.
Now, it's the Clippers backcourt.

This is how you rule over people: inducing fears.

TampaDude
05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Paul shoots 2s and 3s, assists, steals and orchestrates. Not to mention that he's clutchest in the NBA.
Basically, a combination of Magic and MJ, faster than the former, smarter than the latter.

Evans and Martin (another with championship experience) defend Pn'R like nobody ever did and crush the boards.

Am I missing someone?

Oh yeah, Del Negro, the coach, is experienced, including a period with Pop, so he knows the system.

On the other side, Spurs are old, have a slow backcourt, no decent bigs, no shot blocker, and no reliable shooter from 3.

:lol

Jumi
05-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Am I missing someone?

this

I think I'm not even gonna watch this beatdown by the River!

Some of you guys sound as clueless as the Clippers fans. The fans last year who saw the mismatch against Memphis last year, I respect. The one's who sound as if they're suffering from "Mavs Fan" syndrome need to stop posting. I think I'm done with SpursTalk until we finish this series. I'll see you guys in five or six games. I don't know about YOUR Spurs, but MY SPURS got this one!!! The drive for five continues for me!!!!!!!!!!!
:flag:

temujin
05-14-2012, 06:58 AM
And, finally, please, please, no mention to Nash.

With the CURRENT 36 years old Steve Nash, the Memphis-Clippers series is a sweep for whichever team Nash is playing on.
The mental lapses of the respective PGs were absolutely hard to believe.

GrandeDavid
05-14-2012, 07:05 AM
I think like when any two good NBA teams meet, there will be ups and downs but I expect the Spurs to win this series probably in six games. I don't care who the Spurs play, just let them play and let the chips fall where they may. The better team will win this series, so in that sense the outcome will be satisfactory. Just don't want any major injuries or terribly inconsistent officiating. I want the Spurs to put forth their best effort and I ASSUME that's enough to beat the Clippers.

silverblackfan
05-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Spurs in 5, as I will expect the refs to help LA get one. Its in their blood...
The main problem for the clips is going to be that relaxing for a few minutes can allow the Spurs to lay a lot of points on them. I think the Spurs defense is good enough to keep that lead. Add in Jack, Diaw, and a healthy Manu and it gets even more grim for the Clippers.

The interesting thing about the Spurs is that we all are used to watching them force an opponent to play perfect basketball, due to their defense. If you could not score, then you would slowly die. The Spurs did not beat themselves. Always loved that as a fan.
Now, they do the same with a very efficient, volatile offense and good defense. You have to play perfect and score in bunches.
They flipped the script!

timvp
05-14-2012, 08:26 AM
timvp's balls have shrivelled up and his dick has turtled.:lol I haven't even said the Spurs will lose a game this series and yet my genitalia is being disparaged.

Untill two days ago, it was the Memphis bigs.
Now, it's the Clippers backcourt.

This is how you rule over people: inducing fears.I don't know if you're talking about me but I don't see how it applies. I predicted a sweep over the Jazz and would have predicted a sweep over the Grizzlies. I've also been the one leading the charge in saying Spurs fans were needlessly worried about this year's Grizzlies.

And again, I'm not sure these things to be wary about will even cost the Spurs a game in this series.

I think I'm done with SpursTalk until we finish this series. I'll see you guys in five or six games. I don't know about YOUR Spurs, but MY SPURS got this one!!! The drive for five continues for me!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR]
:flag:Classic.

MaNu4Tres
05-14-2012, 08:40 AM

I think there was a lot more to it that helped Steve Nash remain a lethal threat even with being injured that year.

IMO He was damn near impossible to guard those years due to having a Robin to his Batman in the pick and roll (Amare)-- who was deadly in the pick and pop and rolling to the basket.

Same could be said for Chris Paul in the WCSF in 2008 when he had a prime David West-- who was lethal in the pick and pop.

Same can't be said against this Clippers team.

Paul simply doesn't have as much assistance in his all-important pick and roll because the Clippers lack a legitimate pick and pop big. None of them can shoot. This factor should really make it easier for the Spurs to defend ( not saying it's going to be easy, but it should be easier than those Suns and 08' Hornets.

Sec24Row7
05-14-2012, 08:42 AM
If we sweep a prime Chris Paul... the championship is a lock...

I give that guy more respect than just about any other player in the league... and he hasn't ever been out of the 2nd round...

Sweeping the Clips is too much to ask for... What would that do... put the win streak at 18 games... 9 in a row against +.500 competition?

Good Luck.

ohmwrecker
05-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Pop is going to take Vinny Del to the woodshed.

polandprzem
05-14-2012, 08:45 AM
First I was thinking about tough six game series with a spurs victory.

Maily because Clipps are deep, Clipps are strong, Clipps can rebound, Clipps are athletic, Clipps can hustle and defend, Clipps do have players that can cause spurs problems as hell lile Mo or Nick.

That said. The spurs are smarter, the spurs do have that experience even though they do have rookie in the starting 5. Spurs play better team basketball.

All in all Vinny not gonna lead this team like Pop.

Tony got something to prove.

Spurs are well rested and are about to start the playoffs now.

I think game 3 will be a game where spurs are gonna get destroyed.
Spurs in 5

urunobili
05-14-2012, 08:48 AM
thanks for the cold water bucket :depressed

Knoxxx
05-14-2012, 09:02 AM
"FO, FO, FO!"

(Moses Malone)

MannyIsGod
05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
LJ normally I find myself agreeing with most of what you post but I can't this time around. While I do think there are some similarities to 2010 here, I think there some glaring omissions. Past the Nash comparisons to Paul, I don't think the teams compare at all. There is no 3 point shooting 4 and I cannot see any single player on the Clippers being the difference makers Dudley was. They are not gritty enough and they're not not going to all of a sudden develop that. They can score, but if you're trying to beat the Spurs by outscoring them you're in for a huge surprise.

I definitely see VERY little potential for a let down. For one, as Bruno mentioned - its been since 2008 since the Spurs won a god damn 2nd round series. I can't imagine Pop not hammering that shit home.

I also just look at how efficient the Spurs are and I look at how hungry they are and I just cannot fathom a team that looked as terrible as the Clippers being able to hang. I mean, one way to put it is that the Clippers are battle tested and another way to put it is that Memphis choked hard and that the Clippers are lucky as all hell. I mean sure, Nick Young has to hit some big shots down the end of game one to even have us in this location but by the same token Memphis has to be at Richard Jefferson level effort levels in order to let that happen.

I do get a bit worried about the Clippers and the pick and roll, but that is about all I worry about. This year more than any other Spurs championship team I've had a hard time believing that they can win it all. Even with as dominant as they've looked. But when I think of them falling, it is always at the hands of Miami, the Lakers, or OKC. I just can't see them being pushed by a team that won more due to Memphis' incompetence than anything else, IMO.

rjv
05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
not least bit concerned about spurs having any let down at all

Killakobe81
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Agreed with everything but that. Conley is no Parker, but in what world is he "slow-footed"?! :lol

Mr. Body
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
The Clippers did not look great against the Grizzlies, but the Grizzlies looked even worse in key moments. Their collapse in the fourth quarter yesterday was epic; they had that game well in hand.

Sure, there are real problems to deal with and reasons for concern. But I don't know if we see any players on the LAC side who appear to be insurmountable problems. Of course you don't want Nick Young to go off, but then why not try to guard him instead of letting him hit 3 threes in a row at the end of Game One? A key will be how Pop is able to adjust to game situations, while no one believes VDN can do the same.

I do not remember a more unremarkable and potentially easier second round opponent in the West for some time. I think they will see San Antonio coming in waves, have trouble stopping them, and then not be able to do much to stop it. Rust will be a factor, and so will a late-game push by Paul. But I'm not terribly worried about this series.

Solid D
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I, too, am wary of this series as I've mentioned before. Lots of good, mid-range scorers being fed by a great assist man in CP3. Chris has an extra level of competitiveness not seen in many players. He finds gaps, he hits clutch shots. He helped take the NOLA series versus the Spurs in '08 to 7 games on sheer will, alone. That was scary.

This series should be higher scoring than the Clips-Griz series, which helps the Spurs, but appropriate fear is called for here.

tmtcsc
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM

I understand your concern but that was a different Spurs team than the one we'll put on the floor against the Clippers.

Nash was good, don't get me wrong, but we got killed by the other guys. Stoudemire, Hill, Dudley, Dragic, Frye, Barbosa and Richardson all had their way with us. They went small and we couldn't hang.

Both Dragic and Nash killed us with the pick and roll. Paul is going to have to carry most of the load and the Clips don't play P&R as well as the Phoenix team did. As long as the Spurs get back on transition defense, we'll be good.

Maybe Mills will see some additional time on the floor. He does a good job of pressuring the ball when its being brought up the floor and just being a nuisance.

tmtcsc
05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Here's the roster we put on the floor during the 2009 playoffs. Don't laugh:

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Dejuan Blair (R), George Hill, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess

Richard Jefferson, Keith Bogans, Garrett Temple, Malik Hairston, Roger Mason, Ian Mahinmi

timvp
05-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Tbh, I probably should have clarified that when I said "That didn't work out too well for the Spurs" I meant that Nash being injured didn't slow him down versus the Spurs. I didn't mean these Spurs were going to succumb to the same fate as the 2010 team and get swept by the Clippers :lol

Yes, I know the 2010 Spurs were a lot worse team and that the 2010 Suns had a lot more weapons. I never meant to hint at anything different.

I'm just saying the last time the Spurs were in the second round, it turned out to be a mistake to simply bank on the injured superstar point guard remaining limited. In other words, Pop shouldn't come out with the game plan of daring Chris Paul to beat the Spurs. Back in 2010, Pop got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and outsmarted himself by daring a supposedly hobbled Steve Nash.

I want Pop to have the Spurs defend Chris Paul as they normally would. If he proves to be hobbled, then adjust according as the series progresses. But don't start Game 1 like CP3 is a gimp. 'Tis all I'm saying with that comparison.

GSH
05-14-2012, 10:34 AM
The Clippers finished the regular season 6-4, and then went 4-3 in the playoffs. The Spurs finished the regular season 10-0, and went 4-0 in the playoffs.

The Spurs' margin of victory in those last 10 regular season games was 16.8. Their margin of victory in their 4 playoff games was 16. The Clippers' margin of victory in their last 6 regular season wins was 9.16. And their margin of victory in their playoff wins was 4. And remember, that doesn't take into account the fact that they lost almost as many as they won.

The Spurs came into the playoffs playing awesome ball, and it showed in the first round. The Clippers came into the playoffs playing half-assed ball, and it showed in the playoffs.

To the best of my knowledge, no team has ever gone into a playoff series in fear of Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams, or Randy Foye. On any given night, those guys can go off for a lot of points - but so can half the players in the league. Their big threat is Chris Paul. And this could be Paul's chance to finally beat the Spurs in the post season - if he was playing the '10 Spurs that got beat by Steve Nash. But he isn't.

If the Spurs come out rusty after the layoff, it could go 6 games IMO. If they come out playing like they have the last 14 games, it could be another sweep. I know the Clips have talent. But, dammit, so do the Spurs.

I'm just saying the last time the Spurs were in the second round, it turned out to be a mistake to simply bank on the injured superstar point guard remaining limited. In other words, Pop shouldn't come out with the game plan of daring Chris Paul to beat the Spurs. Back in 2010, Pop got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and outsmarted himself by daring a supposedly hobbled Steve Nash.

I want Pop to have the Spurs defend Chris Paul as they normally would. If he proves to be hobbled, then adjust according as the series progresses. But don't start Game 1 like CP3 is a gimp. 'Tis all I'm saying with that comparison.

I totally agree with that. Even if Chris Paul is hurt, he's going to play through it. And even if he's really hobbled, he's capable of putting up a good enough show to command more attention than he deserves. I don't think the Spurs would look past him, no matter what.

temujin
05-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Tbh, I probably should have clarified that when I said "That didn't work out too well for the Spurs" I meant that Nash being injured didn't slow him down versus the Spurs. I didn't mean these Spurs were going to succumb to the same fate as the 2010 team and get swept by the Clippers :lol

Yes, I know the 2010 Spurs were a lot worse team and that the 2010 Suns had a lot more weapons. I never meant to hint at anything different.

1) Pop himself is a different coach this year, compared to last year or 2010. He is more involved, more interested.
After 15 years of so many victories, I guess he likely senses his team has a real chance, this year.
Pop will initially have TP on Paul and then switch Leonard on him.

2) Paul had 50 assists, 25 TO in the Memphis series. The ratio was 6:1 in his 2008 PO.
Conley had 50 assists, 16 TO. With no previous or media-induced bias, it would be seriously difficult to tell who was better (or less worse) of the two.
Paul is not the major reason the Clippers advanced.
Ask Hollins about Haddadi and Arenas in the 4th of game 7, Speights sitting.

3) I have a lot of respect for the Clippers, for they won a G7 on the road, finally, despite having decades-long and well established culture of defeat.
I think the series could easily go to 6 games.
But in the end, having watched quite few PO games this year, I have honestly seen two teams play basketball the way basketball is supposed to be played as a TEAM: Spurs and Celtics.

4) I also would have had no doubt that the Spurs would have prevailed over Memphis, but because of their physicality, this would have come at a cost.
Butler, Paul and Griffin payed that cost, already.

ambchang
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Clippers are playing playground ball, and the Spurs are great in exploiting undisciplined defensive plays.

This will be a high scoring series, much like Spurs vs. Suns 2005. Spurs in 5.

InRareForm
05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
VDN very known for leaving in lineups for way too long that can backfire. Spurs will have to pounce on that to build leads.

Whisky Dog
05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
I posted last week that I wanted the Grizz because they'd be the easier match up for the Spurs. No shooting dump it down teams don't do well against these Spurs. Hot streaky shooting teams can do well.

We COULD lose this series. It's very possible, I think it would have been improbable to lose to the Grizz. This is definitely the worse matchup.

DPG21920
05-14-2012, 12:39 PM
I, too, am wary of this series as I've mentioned before. Lots of good, mid-range scorers being fed by a great assist man in CP3. Chris has an extra level of competitiveness not seen in many players. He finds gaps, he hits clutch shots. He helped take the NOLA series versus the Spurs in '08 to 7 games on sheer will, alone. That was scary.

This series should be higher scoring than the Clips-Griz series, which helps the Spurs, but appropriate fear is called for here.

The extra gear to defer to Pargo in a game 7? Just kidding (maybe), he is a very great player/competitor but he hasn't been himself these playoffs (critical turnovers in crunch time, lower scoring...).

Their mid-range game is deceptive. It's good, but it doesn't seem to be all that consistent. Guys like Foye, Mo & Caron all can do both (mid-range & three's) but it's not some conistent well oiled machine if you watch them. Spurs should have a healthy respect but if they execute as they have been, they should score much more than Memphis and that puts most games out of reach even if LA is shooting well.

Spursfanfromafar
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Play hard, share the ball, get the rust out quickly.. find a way to stop CP3, use Splitter a lot, tactically foul the buffoons who litter the Clips' team and then let VDN screw up his team with his lousy coaching.. and the Spurs can win this series easily... Let CP3 run the P&Rs or get injured... you will have a 4-1 or a 4-2...But the Spurs have this.

BlairForceDejuan
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Ya'lls cautious optimism is cute, but this is a sweep ladies and gentlemen.

Grizz were the much tougher opponent.

Sean Cagney
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
If only it were just Dragic. There's an unpleasant image of Grant Hill dropping jumpers over Duncan while he just stands there that I can't shake.

Do NOT forget Channing freakin Frye as well :( That whole series is just forgettable! Seeing a goofball like Dudley on a team that swept us is just what I never want to see again in the second round :ihit:ihit

baseline bum
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Blame a lot of that on playing George Hill on Nash. Man, Hill was brutal to watch guarding any kind of screen.

BlairForceDejuan
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe we'd have to worry about losing one game if Blake had any other game other than running up and down floor playing NBA jam. Dude can't even move his knee. He's gone from 1 dimensional to nodimensional.

Legacy
05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Ya'lls cautious optimism is cute, but this is a sweep ladies and gentlemen.

Grizz were the much tougher opponent.

:lmao

Best avi and siggy EVER!

And yes... I would LOVE to be wrong if this is indeed going to be yet another sweep for us ... But I have to show some respect, too, yo. :p:

Solid D
05-14-2012, 01:36 PM
The extra gear to defer to Pargo in a game 7? Just kidding (maybe), he is a very great player/competitor but he hasn't been himself these playoffs (critical turnovers in crunch time, lower scoring...).

Not that Chris isn't given to a crazy turnover or two because he is (see crazy TO leading to Gary Neal 3 for the improbable OT game in LA this year). He tries to do so much for his team. In game 7 of '08 playoffs Chris, who was having a very good series, went for 18 points, 14 assists, 8 rebounds and 5 steals. Pargo was playing SG and got hot but nothing else was really working. The Hornets were packing the paint so Manu, Horry, Finley etc. hit lots of threes and put the Hornets in a tough spot.

05-14-2012, 01:38 PM
spurs should play the clippers straight up by matching parker up with paul. let paul expend energy on the defensive end chasing parker around. spurs can live with a tired parker but the clippers depend on paul more.

let leonard/green/giniobili/jackson each get a shot at nick young. at least one of them should slow young down considerably. griffin is no threat offensively against a smart defender, might get 20 empty points.

only players left to worry about are williams and bledsoe. but unlike the grizzlies, the spurs have many different offensive weapons in the form of wing players so every clippers guard will have to defend a 6-5 to 6-8 spurs forward/guard. should be easy enough to get shots over them, especially since the spurs already have exceptional ball movement.

Knoxxx
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
only players left to worry about are williams and bledsoe. but unlike the grizzlies, the spurs have many different offensive weapons in the form of wing players so every clippers guard will have to defend a 6-5 to 6-8 spurs forward/guard. should be easy enough to get shots over them, especially since the spurs already have exceptional ball movement.

Agree this is a key point/Spurs advantage. At the 2/3 spots, we have Manu/Green/Leonard/Jackson. Clips have Caron Butler with a broken hand, and couple of 6-1 shooting guards. LOL

Budkin
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
The Spurs are way too good and way too deep. Spurs in 5.

therealtruth
05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Blame a lot of that on playing George Hill on Nash. Man, Hill was brutal to watch guarding any kind of screen.

Pop made all the wrong moves in that series. Putting George Hill on Steve Nash. Switching on pick and rolls. Doubling Nash and Stoudemire and leaving their 3 point shooters open.

ducks
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I think timvp is wanting to not get people this will be a cakewalk
clippers never give up even if down by 25 in 4

Spurs Brazil
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Blake, meanwhile, says "there is no doubt. I'll be playing."

JMcDonald_SAEN Vinny Del Negro says Blake Griffin (knee) not certain to play in Game 1. Said if it were regular season, Blake would get"a week or 2" off.

Xevious
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
My biggest concern is the small backcourt LAC runs with. I'm reminded of how badly JJ Barea burned us when the Mavs played him at the two. Our guys are going to get worn out chasing these midgets around.

But that doesn't equal a series victory. Spurs should take care of business here. But it isn't going to be an easy series like Utah.

DAF86
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
The funny thing is that all these overconfident Spursfans will be the first to freak out when we lose a game.

ElNono
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
The funny thing is that all these overconfident Spursfans will be the first to freak out when we lose a game.

why?

TheSkeptic
05-14-2012, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't call it overconfidence. The Spurs are a better team than the Clippers and they should be able to prove it over the course of 7 games. Of course, LAC is significantly better than Utah so it shouldn't be a sweep or a one-sided beatdown but San Antonio should come out on top if they execute, defend the perimeter, and stick to the fundamentals.

DAF86
05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
why?

Because I'm seeing that some of the most confident posters in here are those that start every freak out thread everytime the Spurs lose a game.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Why would that be funny? If you're overconfident wouldn't you be the most surprised by a loss?

capek
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Why would that be funny? If you're overconfident wouldn't you be the most surprised by a loss?

funny as in ironic, I assume

TheSkeptic
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Because I'm seeing that some of the most confident posters in here are those that start every freak out thread everytime the Spurs lose a game.

It's not just losing. Panic is justified after one game depending on how they lose.

For example, losing to the Lakers while playing Blair was a fair reason to freak out. Losing to Utah without the Big 3 not so much although it was a great opportunity to complain about the officiating.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm not wary about this series. Only thing I'm wary about is not being battle tested for the next two rounds. I don't want the spurs to start the testing in the WCF but I'm not all that concerned. I don't get the Paul Nash comparison. Regardless of the degree of injury I think Nash is a much more disciplined player than Paul. Paul is way too emotional in his play(arrogance and flopping) and I don't think he's anywhere near as mentally tough as Nash. Plus I think that Suns team was way better than this year's Clippers team. Plus I'm sure the Suns respected their coach which I don't feel any of the clippers do, especially Paul..........
4 or 5

objective
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't think the Clippers can handle Stephen Jackson. Butler and his time won't overlap that much, and I don't think Butler is all that.

Who's going to guard Jackson when he posts up? Foye? Mo Williams? Nick Young?

Jackson off the bench is who I'm looking at to make the Spurs the winning team.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Jackson off the bench is who I'm looking at to make the Spurs the winning team.

Man, if only McDyess stuck around this year and were still able to snag Jax.

DAF86
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM

I would found funny that people that say this is going to be easy would sudenly start predicting an elimination after one game. And you know it's happening.

TD 21
05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Agree this is a key point/Spurs advantage. At the 2/3 spots, we have Manu/Green/Leonard/Jackson. Clips have Caron Butler with a broken hand, and couple of 6-1 shooting guards. LOL

Yeah, but other than Jackson on occasion, the Spurs don't post their wings. And if they want to force the issue with guys who are foreign to that area and get out of the flow of their offense, that's not a exactly a bad thing for the Clippers. So they can get away with playing small along the perimeter. In fact, if Del Negro has an ounce of common sense, he'll play Butler sparsely, go with this alignment for long stretches and make it equally as difficult for the Spurs to defend their wings as them to defend the Spurs'.

Karl foolishly made this mistake in the 1st half of game 7 against the Lakers. He went away from the Lawson-Miller-Afflalo three guard set because he wanted Afflalo to defend Bryant and was worried about Miller defending World Peace. When in reality, he should have absolutely went to that, not only because they were having success with it in previous games, but because he'd have essentially baited the Lakers into milking this miss-match, taken the ball out of their big three's hands and killed what miniscule flow there is to the Lakers offense. Which is exactly what happened in the second half when he went to that lineup. The Nuggets went from 16 down to up 4, before inevitably losing.

If Del Negro figures this out relatively early, Paul and Griffin magically return to full health and/or the Spurs suffer at least one debilitating injury, then the Clippers can pull the upset. Otherwise, this is going to be quick and (relatively) painless.

Solid D
05-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but other than Jackson on occasion, the Spurs don't post their wings. And if they want to force the issue with guys who are foreign to that area and get out of the flow of their offense, that's not a exactly a bad thing for the Clippers. So they can get away with playing small along the perimeter. In fact, if Del Negro has an ounce of common sense, he'll play Butler sparsely, go with this alignment for long stretches and make it equally as difficult for the Spurs to defend their wings as them to defend the Spurs'.

Okay, so in going small and playing Caron sparingly, would that be CP3, Mo Williams, and Foye or Bledsoe playing the 1, 2 and 3 spots?

therealtruth
05-15-2012, 12:29 AM

Karl foolishly made this mistake in the 1st half of game 7 against the Lakers. He went away from the Lawson-Miller-Afflalo three guard set because he wanted Afflalo to defend Bryant and was worried about Miller defending World Peace. When in reality, he should have absolutely went to that, not only because they were having success with it in previous games, but because he'd have essentially baited the Lakers into milking this miss-match, taken the ball out of their big three's hands and killed what miniscule flow there is to the Lakers offense. Which is exactly what happened in the second half when he went to that lineup. The Nuggets went from 16 down to up 4, before inevitably losing.

If Del Negro figures this out relatively early, Paul and Griffin magically return to full health and/or the Spurs suffer at least one debilitating injury, then the Clippers can pull the upset. Otherwise, this is going to be quick and (relatively) painless.

Good points. A key point in deciding whether to go small is if the guards on the other team can post up without breaking offensive flow. I remember the Spurs tried playing the 3 guard lineup against the Suns in '10 but they didn't realize JRich was one of the best posting up guards.

TD 21
05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Okay, so in going small and playing Caron sparingly, would that be CP3, Mo Williams, and Foye or Bledsoe playing the 1, 2 and 3 spots?

Yeah and to a lesser extent, I'd even consider playing Young at the three small. I know they're using him exclusively as their backup three, but he's really a two. Specifically Paul, Williams and Bledsoe, I think is definitely worth a shot, but not when Jackson is in the game. The more Butler plays, the more they're playing into the Spurs hands.

DPG21920
05-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not concerned because of execution. Memphis didnt make LA pay for their undisciplined play. While the Clips have solid defensive big men, they will surrender looks after the initial pass. Those are both key items SA has over Memphis.

This is so key. Spurs making that second and sometimes third pass is critical vs everyone but especially the clips. Spurs being hot from three obviously helps, but they are getting great looks make or miss.