PDA

View Full Version : Hack-a-Clipper

Old School 44
05-14-2012, 08:04 AM
The Clips have some very poor free throw shooters. I won’t be at all surprised if Pop uses the hack-a-clipper strategy to disrupt their momentum if they get into an offensive groove.

What do you think of this strategy? Like it, hate it and why?
Personally, I like it. Just hit your damn free throws and the other team won’t do it anymore.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/ClipStats2012.jpg

Old School 44
05-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I can't wait for Shaq and the TNT crew to break this strategy down.

-S_soY5Jg_Q

spurspokesman
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM
If the spurs play smart and execute I doubt this strategy will be necessary.

Old School 44
05-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Hopefully, that's the case. I didn't watch the Clips huge comeback win over the Grizzlies, just saw the highlights. If they get on an offensive roll like that, I would foul Griffin or Jordan a few times just to bust up their rhythm.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I was surprised the Grizzlies didn't try this in the middle of the 4th when they were down 7 or 8 and Clippers had Evans on the floor. Would have given the Grizzlies more touches on offense.Thought that was their best chance because of what a grind-it-out game it was.

DMC
05-14-2012, 05:31 PM
I was surprised the Grizzlies didn't try this in the middle of the 4th when they were down 7 or 8 and Clippers had Evans on the floor. Would have given the Grizzlies more touches on offense.Thought that was their best chance because of what a grind-it-out game it was.
Hollins' pride was fuckin' with him.

ducks
05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
if clippers get in a rythm on the o I would not doubt it

Wild Cobra Kai
05-14-2012, 06:51 PM
:lol Their entire big man rotation, plus Bledsoe. They can't hide.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Good thinking there. I forgot how poor some of their players are at free-throw shooting. Blake Griffin especially.

BackHome
05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Yeah I was shocked that they were not fouling Evans every time he touched the ball. It is a sad day when you get out coached by Del Negro....

blkroadrunners
05-14-2012, 09:57 PM

They probably would still use it. I read somewhere statistically, the hack-a-shaq is at its most effectiveness when the team committing it is up with the lead.

freetiago
05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
griffin actually hit clutch free throws
but if you have to foul him you can
but reggie martin and bledsoe
neal/james/blair/mills can be used this series

therealtruth
05-15-2012, 12:22 AM
The Clips have some very poor free throw shooters. I won’t be at all surprised if Pop uses the hack-a-clipper strategy to disrupt their momentum if they get into an offensive groove.

What do you think of this strategy? Like it, hate it and why?
Personally, I like it. Just hit your damn free throws and the other team won’t do it anymore.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/ClipStats2012.jpg

I'm not a fan of the strategy. The great Phil Jax never had to resort to it.

Old School 44
05-15-2012, 08:05 AM

Although not pretty, tactically it's a brilliant strategy.
As previously stated, you can use it to break a team's offensive rhythm, catch up in a close game, and even influence an opposing coaches' player rotation, making them pull a good defensive player out of the line up, if the player can't make free throws.

Mal
05-15-2012, 08:52 AM

It`s not dirty. It`s basketball. Flopping, trashtalking , taunting also are.

sa_butta
05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I think it may be used sparingly, I don't really see the need to use it much.

Dex
05-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I think it may be used sparingly, I don't really see the need to use it much.

Exactly.

Unless the Clips get on a strong offensive roll and find themselves up 10-15, and the Spurs need a spark or momentum swing, I doubt Pop will readily go Hacka on the Clips. If he does, it will likely be against Jordan....Griffin has shown he can knock them down in the big moments, and despite Martin shooting only 37% in his short season, he's a career 63% free-thrower and has enough spite for the Spurs that I wouldn't want to make him try to prove his worth from the line, because he will likely oblige.

I do think, however, that the Spurs will use fouls more readily than they systematically do overall. With the overall team FT% that the Clippers share, there is absolutely no reason to give any easy buckets to the likes of Griffin, Jordan, Martin, Bledsoe, etc. when you can foul them, send them to the line, and put the pressure on their weak spot.

Dex
05-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Free-throws are a fundamental part of the game, and should be one of the simpler tasks for any player. There is no excuse for any player who spends their professional life playing basketball not to be able to shoot at least 60% from the line.

If the opponent has a weakness, you exploit it. To do anything else would be letting them off the hook. Simple as that.

Phenomanul
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM

I'm pretty sure he tried it on Shaq in their series against Orlando back in '95 (to no avail since the Bulls lost)...